Say my TDEE is exactly 2000. I'm aiming for 1500kcals a day. If I eat at this...

Say my TDEE is exactly 2000. I'm aiming for 1500kcals a day. If I eat at this, and burn 500kcals through cardio or some shit, does that count as a 1000kcal deficit (500 from diet+500 from exercise), or do I need to do enough exercise every day to burn the 2000 TDEE? (1500-2000 = 500deficit)

I think I'm being special here but I really do not know.

if you eat 1500cals and cardio 500, 500 out of your 1500 will be burnt (implying they get directly burnt from your food).
so results in 1000cals

2000 calorie TDEE? What kind of a cucked metabolism is that?

I'm a damn midget at 5'7 and I cut on 2500 calories.

Maybe you should try lift and play a sport instead of sitting around with a cucked metabolism.

there will be some variance and you won't lose exactly 2lbs a week but you were right originally, that's a 1000 cal deficit

So the TDEE is what my body burns just to operate on a daily basis?

No that's ur BMR.

It's just an example.

So, say I fuck up real hard and eat a shitload, 1000kcal lets say, of ice cream. If I then go and run for an hour or two and burn 1000kcal, that's the fuck up erased?

Oh

dont let you get confused. what you've put in the tdee calculator is what you burn per day. say student mostly sittig eith 3 hours of weight liftig = 2000.

the cardio isnt included in here

Oh right that makes more sense. So the amount my body actually needs to operate will vary depending on how much I lift every day? And cardio is just for burning extra calories?

BMR (basal metabolic rate) is the amount of energy that your body expends from doing only the basal metabolic activities required to function normally.

TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is BMR + any additional calorie burning processes that your body undergoes, such as exercise.

If you do 500 calories worth of running, your TDEE will be higher than if you hadn't done it. Your BMR remains the same.

A calorie deficit is when you consume fewer calories than your TDEE, therefore it can either be done by eating less, exercising, or both.

If your body has burns 2000 calories in a day, and you have only consumed 1500 that creates a deficit of 500 calories. Exercise can increase this deficit, but isn't required.

Worth noting, exercise will allow your body to maintain muscle mass better while on a deficit. This is good for two reasons:

>1. It will prevent you losing too much muscle mass, looking bad, and getting weak (aka getting skinnyfat).
>2. Muscle requires more calories to maintain than fat, which let's you keep your BMR higher. A 6ft guy weighing 85kg with 30% body fat will have a much lower BMR than a 6ft guy weighing 85kg with 8% body fat (with the extra weight being muscle mass).

Hope this helps dude, good luck.

lol good luck burning that much in an hour or two

besides its 1k. dont sweat it so much. stick in your range the rest of your week and you'll still make progress.

Yes, but 500 calories is a lot of exercise. Cardio machines and such usually report calories burned way too high, like twice as much. This is marketing: "Ooh, look at how easy this exercise is, and how many calories I'm burning!"

Do the 500 calorie eating deficit, plan for 1 pound per week, and whatever exercise you do is just a bonus.

You won't burn 1000 calories in a hour unless you're training at Elite levels of intensity.

On max incline on a treadmill going as fast as I can possibly go I burn maybe 600 calories in the hour. That abit also destroys my body for the rest of the day.

I prefer to just walk on flat surface at casual pace and burn 200/hour.

Thanks all for clarifying this, it helps a lot

So the calorie readout on treadmills isn't accurate even after entering age and weight? I usually do a brisk walk at 3.3 mph at a 10 incline and it says I burn around 600 calories in 40 minutes. I'm guessing it's closer to 400 then?

. Muscle requires more calories to maintain than fat, which let's you keep your BMR higher. A 6ft guy weighing 85kg with 30% body fat will have a much lower BMR than a 6ft guy weighing 85kg with 8% body fat (with the extra weight being muscle mass).

This is accurate. I just calculated my BMR through MyFitnessPal. At 28 years old, 5'10 and 264 pounds, my estimated BMR is: 2,174 calories/day. No wonder my cut is going so slow, I've been trying to eat under 1900 a day and getting close when I should be aiming for 1500ish.

But aren't you supposed to eat 500 less than ur TDEE? I'm 6'0 240 and my sedentary TDEE is 2500. My BMR around 2200. I cut at 1800 and have been seeing my weight loss speed up a bunch then slow to nothing and keep looping. I'm thinking of upping my cals to 2k because I also work a retail job 5 days a week at (least 5 hours) and lift for an hour (4times a week) and just started c25k on my off days. I dunno if I'm cutting to hard hard or what ... Some times I'll lose like 4-5 lbs in a week then take 2-3 weeks to lose another. Down from 285 from last October

TDEE includes all energy you've spent and consumed.

BMR is just how much energy your body needs to keep itself in working order.

It is not recommended to cut below BMR, but you need to cut below your TDEE to lose weight.

If you cut below BMR, does it slow down metabolism or something? I noticed my weight loss will speed up and slow down and loop like the user above.

If you cut too hard, yes it will slow down. Protip: eat 4 times a day and stay active after eating. That will keep your metabolism up

So how hard do you have to fuck up as far as not eating enough to not lose weight? I'm losing weight even though I'm not hitting my goal of 1600 cal everyday (which won't be a problem much longer).