Rucking

Is rucking a meme or is it actually beneficial? One of my gym buddies is wanting me to start with him

This is new to me- explain what rucking is please

It's a meme. Enjoy fucking up your back.

Wtf is this? Looks like backpacking, but retarded.

Yes, infantrymen since ancient rome have been memed

Military exercise of strapping a backpack full of your field gear, or the equivalent of your field gear's mass, and marching like you would on a tour.
It's a total meme, regular hiking, running, rowing, cycling, all are better for you and won't destroy your hips, knees and ankles.
It is literally only beneficial for the men who will actually need to do the marches on duty.

If you don't have to do rucking, then don't. You'll just end up screwing your back and knees if you put on too much weight, or if you go too long of a distance.

Wasn't there just another rocking thread?

Too much rocking is bad.
Don't run at all when you ruck.
Start at 35lbs if male.
Decent back, shoulder, and cardiovascular gains

Honestly if you have 0 intentions of joining the military I would just do other exercises. I don't really do them for gains. If you're not training for air assault school, ranger school or some civilian competition (go ruck) then I would advise against it.

Some of my pals did the 24hour heavy challenge for go ruck. Shits pretty insane.

Isn't it just marching with a loaded backpack?

Good way to prep for the race war anyway

It depends:
Have you ever been issued a pair of Soffe shorts and/or made to stencil your last name on a Tan/Green/Grey/Blue T-Shirt? Have you been forced to do four-count flutter kicks with a garden hose in your face?

If so, Rucking is hardcore functional fitness for the modern warfighter.

If not, it's Meme-tier i-wanna-be-like-MatBest GruntStyle-wearing crossfit sheepdog bullshit.

Runwalking with a weighted backpack.

>fucking up your back
No. Kneeeeeeeees.

I thought it only fucked your hips if you are a women cause of their bone structure

Like anything else, train up to heavier weights and longer distances, and you'll be fine. Use packs with chest and waist straps, and stay hydrated.
Lifts are bad for your joints if done with shit form, same with carrying weight for distance. Good posture, correctly distributed load and proper footware are the things to learn.

Yeah my friend who is wanting me to do it with him is wanting to join the military in the next year or something and is wanting to see if I'd be down to Ruck with him over the summer

Whatevs I'm going off memory from a previous Rucking thread.

1. Wear the wrong pair of boots/shoes
2. Hump your 50-100-whateverllbs with your foot pointing too far inward/outward during stride
3. Take bets whether your IT Band or Hip Stabilizers will tear first
4.????
5. CCT/SF/Ranger School Deadpool

The people that should be rucking don't need to ask if they should be rucking.

>modern warfighter
frustrated athlete who decided that scholarship was too hard to get, and decided to gitsumhooya only to realize that there's little difference, so now he sits on the verge of the motor pool trying to unfuck himself

One or two rucks a month over the summer, won't kill you. But not optimal for joocy gains.

PJ'S course looks intense though. I've never personally been a good swimmer but man pj's have the highest wash oit rate for a reason.

It's not as hard to pass as it is just REALLY EASY to fail.

Show up to PT field in Battle without Gatorade Bottle? Out.
Cramp up on the Indoc Day 1 PAST Run/Swim? Out.
Step on a loose rock and roll ankle during the 80lb Ruck on Day 3 of Team? Out.
Fall asleep during ETD? Out.
Tear your shoulder during buddy-carries? Out.
Catch Jump School before your schoolhouse start date and roll an ankle/knee? Out.
Tear your foot bindings in Dive? Out.
Strafe Cadre with a weapon when he runs up on your left side during a ruck? Out.

etc. etc., ad nauseam

Don't do it, it fucks up your soul. Pic related went on one hiking trip and ended up scared for life.

Militaryfag here, that shit will utterly rape your knees, hips and spine if you haven't been taught how to pack your ruck correctly so the weight is perfectly balanced, even if it is correctly packed you'll be marching straight to shin splint city if you're not already used to walking and jogging long distances

> modern warfighter.

Lt. Col pls go

SOFag here

A tremendous waste of civilian time.

Rucking is not functional for improving anything except that ability to ruck. If you somehow need to strap 60 pounds of shit to your body and then walk for 12 miles on a regular basis then you should probably ruck. If you don't need that skill, then you should do something else which will not destroy your knees and back.

rounds your shoulders forward in the long run

Yeah maybe if you ruck for real (pic related), otherwise 'rucking' is some faddy bullshit for crossfitters who weren't quite brave enough to join the military for real.

>rucking flag
please

I got huge calves from marching. My hips and knees now hurt when i just Walk regularly for a long time. Do it faggot.

Veteran Marinefag here. Don't do it.

People think i'm joking when i say "You age in dog years in the Marine Corps", but it's true. Look up the average disability for a 4 year grunt. Ankles, knees, hips, and back are the most common disability claims. My knees snap, crackle, and pop when i'm walking up stairs, bending over, or doing squats. Totally not worth the permanent damage to your body over the years.

I'll just say if you hike, pack lightly. there's no reason to ruck with 80lbs+ at a break neck pace for 15 miles straight unless you're training for life/death scenarios. do maybe 10-20% of your body weight in your pack max.

>pic related
me on ruck marches

In highschool I carried around a bookbag that weighed over 100 pounds every single day. Now I have permanently ridiculous back, shoulders, and calves

Top notch kek. This rucking for neck gains though.

a common "rule" for hiking is to not have your backpack weigh more than one third of your bodyweight. and you don't really do that for exercise either i guess.