I am about to start doing SS again but I will not be able to do power cleans...

I am about to start doing SS again but I will not be able to do power cleans, because the gym doesn't allow them(or any other lifts that resemble olympic ones).

What is the next best thing? Switching gyms is not an option.

Other urls found in this thread:

fitsticky.com/starting-strength
jtsstrength.com/articles/2013/03/25/why-speed-work-doesnt-work/
jtsstrength.com/articles/2013/03/28/speed-work-not-this-again/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Deadlift 1-3x5 using 80-90% of the weight you use on A (closer to 80%, if it reaches 90% do a deload).
Or a deadlift variation... RDLs, SLDL, Snatch DL, Pull from Boxes/Rack, Pause, etc.

You should start with maxing out the deadlift 3x per week though. See fitsticky.com/starting-strength for more info

as i recall the book says to do pendlay rows if you cant do power cleans

No, the book literally says NOT to do that ever, and that rows are not a substitute for cleans.

I have been lifting for almost 2 years now, no way I can max out on deadlift 3x per week.

And all those feel like they leave too much upper body out.

I can't do pendlay rows without feeling pain due to some back injury.

Trappy has the right idea, but as usual "her" complete lack of experience with actually lifting anything ruins it.

Speed deadlifts are a good idea, but maybe start with 50% of what you do for the proper deadlifts and see how that goes. If it's way too light, you can always add weight. It's always better to start something new too light than it is too heavy.

>And all those feel like they leave too much upper body out.

That's why you do chinups after. Weighted if you can.

>speed deadlifts

jtsstrength.com/articles/2013/03/25/why-speed-work-doesnt-work/

jtsstrength.com/articles/2013/03/28/speed-work-not-this-again/

Bent over barbell rows

>how do I properly substitute this lowerbody exercise
>do upperbody instead

>Dipshit clickbait articles that miss the point and are geared towards competitive powerlifters, not rank novices

Do not listen to this idiot or anything he says. The speed deadlifts are not about maximal force production to begin with, because power cleans aren't about maximum force production, and we're trying to substitute for power cleans. Speed deadlifts are about rapid motor unit recruitment and adding pulling volume that isn't as exhausting as the heavy deadlifts.

Power cleans are better for both of those things, but you can't do them, so speed deadlifts are your best option.

>Deadlifts or power cleans
>lower body

They're pretty much your entire body, fool.

>clickbait by Mike T who's providing good points and data for his argument

ok

>power cleans aren't about maximum force production

Rip literally says the opposite of this in the SS book.

>speed work is better as volume than volume work

Keking

>jtsstrength.com/articles/2013/03/28/speed-work-not-this-again/

The article is specifically referencing speed work as a form of technique training. It doesn't mention training specific parts of the lift. By doing a speed Deadlift, you're specifically
creating the largest amount of output when directly lifting the bar off of the ground after which the momentum carries the weight for a large portion of the lift. That makes it similar
in function, but not technique, to a Power Clean. An example of this usage is the bounce at the bottom of a Bench rep which circumvents the heavy usage of the pecs and shifts
the weight more quickly to the delts and triceps. By doing speed Bench, you are actively training your triceps and delts much more heavily than during a competition Bench Press.

Also,
>"For now, let’s define speed work as anything under a 7 RPE. If you complete a set and you could have done 5 or more reps, it counts as speed work. If you’re doing doubles or
>triples with less than 75%, it probably counts. If you’re doing singles with less than 85%, it probably counts. If this is just a warm-up to your heavier work, then it probably doesn’t
>count as speed work."

vs.

>Speed deadlifts are a good idea, but maybe start with 50% of what you do for the proper deadlifts and see how that goes. If it's way too light, you can always add weight.

That user was specifically talking about doing high reps with low weight, thus making the second article somewhat moot.

Lastly,
>It can also help those who are chronically beat up. Since it typically involves lighter weight, it should cause less structural stress, so it can sometimes result in fewer injuries,
>which allows people to improve more over time. With that said, I think proper volume management and good general conditioning limits the need for this kind of thing for the vast
>majority of lifters out there.

The scenario that the user listed agrees with your first article.

>By doing a speed Deadlift, you're specifically
creating the largest amount of output

Read again jtsstrength.com/articles/2013/03/25/why-speed-work-doesnt-work/
>Reason #1: Force output during speed work is crap

>An example of this usage is the bounce at the bottom of a Bench rep which circumvents the heavy usage of the pecs and shifts the weight more quickly to the delts and triceps

Except not. The Pec Major has almost double the moment arm for transverse flexion than the anterior deltoids.

>Rip literally says the opposite of this in the SS book.

If that's true, and I guarantee you read it wrong, than Rip is wrong, you unlifting dipshit. Power cleans accomplish more WORK (in the physics sense of the word) than deadlifts, because they're fast, but maximal pure force production will always be displayed only by lifting the heaviest thing possible, and no clean is the heaviest possible pull.

Do ppl senpai

Read again, mi'lady - jtsstrength.com/articles/2013/03/25/why-speed-work-doesnt-work/
>Sure, a set done with maximum acceleration will produce more force than one done with an even tempo. But only if the weight on the bar is similar.

>That user was specifically talking about doing high reps with low weight, thus making the second article somewhat moot.

I would have suggested doing them for 5 sets of 3 reps, like they were power cleans.

>implying powerclean is just lowerbody

>and I guarantee you read it wrong

Open the chapter on Power Cleans yourself.

>than Rip is wrong

Lmfao

Good posts senpai.

But only if the weight on the bar is similar.

Hi trappy, under what circumstances should volume work be done? what exactly is it used for?

This didn't really apply.

>An example of this usage is the bounce at the bottom of a Bench rep which circumvents the heavy usage of the pecs and shifts the weight more quickly
>to the delts and triceps. By doing speed Bench, you are actively training your triceps and delts much more heavily than during a competition Bench Press.

If you read my post as the pecs being completely underutilized during a "bounced" Bench, then yeah, my mistake. But it was moreso implying that your
pecs are severely inactive by comparison to a Competition Bench where all momentum is stopped. Your pecs have significantly less more work to do at the
bottom of the rep.

theres a tranny on wants advice, if ur interested.

>less more work to do
>Should be "more work to do"

Writing is hard.

>Your pecs have significantly more work to do at the bottom of the rep.

Except the bottom of the rep is mostly shoulder flexion (anterior delts primary function, but also a primary function of the sternocostal pec major when under shoulder hyperextension), while the rest of it mostly shoulder transverse flexion with a very small amount of flexion.

Which again brings me to my point The Pec Major has more than double the moment arm for transverse flexion than the anterior delts (mean -4cm vs mean -1.7cm)

>Get BTFO by someone who actually lifts
>Change the subject damage control

Classic Trappy

5/10 bait senpai. At least put some effort into it.

I don't think I would be able to do speed deadlifts eiher. Those make too much noise, apparently.

I already do those trappy. Lats aren't the only muscles power cleans work.

>I don't think I would be able to do speed deadlifts eiher. Those make too much noise, apparently.

They shouldn't make noise going up, and they should make less noise than the "real" deadlifts do when they hit the ground.

What fucking gym are you lifting in?

Are you comparing a Flat Bench or an Arched Bench? If you have an sort of Arch in your back and are not specifically letting the bar rest on your lower pecs (still being arm supported), your pecs are
the most active at the bottom 5-15% of the rep. I'm a bit confused by the explanation you gave because pec involvement in a Bench Press is fairly obvious to those that Bench. If you're following an
exact text-book level Flat Bench, you're right, but no one here likely does that. I realize you don't Bench Press or do upper-body movements, but in terms of muscle involvement, you may want to do
some doubles with 65% to get a feel for what various upper-body exercises utilize and how small changes in scapular retraction affect that.

The primary movers on the power clean and the deadlift are the same, with minor differences on emphasis.
You'll be working the same muscles.

>Are you comparing a Flat Bench or an Arched Bench

Stopped reading there.

as a Veeky Forums newfag can anyone explain why a dyel trap is schooling everyone

The dyel trap is a strength coach and knows a lot about lifting

Put your trip back on, Trappy.

The world's an interesting place huh

>Arched Bench

It's specifically referring to whether you have an arch in your back or not. There aren't many better ways to word that other than Powerlifiting Bench or Bodybuilding Bench, both
of which could mean a myriad of different things.