1/100 squat

I was at the gym today waiting for a squat rack and the guy using it had the safety rails up to his armpits. He appeared to be doing squats (barbell on back 2 plates), but he was just barely bending his knees. I've heard of people doing half or quarter squats before, but he was barely even moving. That he had the safety rails up so high indicates that he was probably aware of his shitty range of motion.

He was pretty buff though, so I'm confused. Is this a legit exercise? Rehab exercise maybe? He took forever too. He was in the rack already when I came in and was there for another 30 minutes or so doing these knee bends.

I'm always irritated when I have to wait for equipment due to someone using poor form, so on a scale of 1-11, how annoyed should I be?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/k-Hpr2CNeS0?t=1m20s
youtube.com/watch?v=fNAfM2XxhrE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I mean it sounds like hes sort of doing pin squats but with 2 plates I doubt it

i seen a guy do this. His squats were 1 inches total. he racked up 6 plates each side and left the weight there once he left

Watched a video. Way too much movement and the rails are lower.

Amount of bend in the knee is more comparable to the pic I posted and I never saw the bar hit the rails despite them being so high.

Sissy squats? They look dumb

my vote is that its a rehab thing.

whats that picture showing?

my bet is he's just a big guy who likes trolling autists like you

>He was pretty buff though

you'd be surprised to see your image of "buff" change once you get stronger

on a scale of 1-11 you should be at 0 because there's nothing you could do about shitty people hogging equipment, except maybe find a better gym. sucks but that's how everything in life is desu familia

This shit is infuriating but ykno whatever.

Not op, but it shows his ROM i guess

This probably.
I had surgery on both my knees and do extremely small ROM "squats" to get my legs to work normally.
Although I do those at home because I don't want to be the topic of a thread on mongolian tapestry forums.

>225 lbs as a rehab weights

Honestly probs not.

My guess is if he's like me a full squat doesn't target the area he wants to specifically tone. Sounds like an isolation exercise to me.

Range of Motion. He was literally just bending a little at the knees and then popping back up.

>tone

was it something like this

youtu.be/k-Hpr2CNeS0?t=1m20s

That'd be hilarious. I'm at 0 if so.

Rationally I know people with bad form pay the same gym membership I do, but while I don't begrudge people who are clearly putting effort into their fitness, it drives me fucking nuts to have to wait for someone who is just pissing away the time anyway.

No, he was definitely doing reps, he just went down like an inch.

He said the bar was on the guy's back, so no

He could have been doing jerk dips if he was an oly lifter. It'd be a bit strange to have it on his back, when you jerk from the front rack position, but behind-the-neck jerks are a fairly standard thing for training purposes, so it wouldn't surprise me to have somebody doing it with the bar on their back.

Two plate would seem very light for it though, especially if he was buff to begin with. I'm weak as shit and can barely manage to bench 225 for reps and can only strict press 135 for a triple, but a 225 jerk isn't too difficult at all, just a technique thing.

Still, wouldn't be completely outlandish.

Actually I take that middle bit back. 225 foe a single jerk isn't difficult, but if I were to do jerk dips with it for sets of eight or ten, it'd ve pretty difficult, the short range of motion and springiness required actually add to the difficulty.

You sure he wasn't just doing calfraises?

I saw a guy doing 1/8th squats with 275 today

Not sure what the point of that is

If he was, he was doing them weird going down and not up. Knees were definitely bending, just not much.

was he doing these?

hurrr, forgot link:
youtube.com/watch?v=fNAfM2XxhrE

There is such a thing as a squat walkout. You can get your cns rolling pretty well by walking out something higher than you can 1rm

Would this be a good thing to do to make my working sets seem lighter

Yes, though bar was on his back, rom looks similar.

>fit tells me to squat
>lots of squats
>I'm the only one who ever seems to squat in ny gym
>Never see strongmen in gym squat

Are they a meme? Have I been memed?

Lucky you. It's nothing but squatters at my gym. If I pull up and there's a bro truck parked nearby, I know the rack is in use.

There is not a strongman in the world who isn't at least a decent squatter, if not a great squatter.

Random gym rats are a different story.

Most ive ever seen is 3pl8 in my gym

What's so good about them

Oh I do this, Worked up to 360kg once (looked like I was shitting myself).
It massively helps with confidence and connective tissue strength. Makes squatting 220kg+ pain free and less scary. Also massively builds isometric strength for the Abdominal cavity, I can really maintain IAP better since doing them.

Can't remember where I picked up the idea to do them, it may of been Kelly Bagget or some powerlifter. No idea but it seems useful. Didn't know the Chinese Oly team do it too.

>tone

Yes, actually. Also, pin squats are even better for that purpose

>Are they a meme? Have I been memed?
Yes. Squats are hugely overrated on the net.

Also the guy in the OP was likely doing something sports-specific. Sports-specific lifts often look outlandish.

>tone zone

I've been doing paused squats up to 3pl8 as rehab for hip tendonitis.

Get stronger faggot

Only reason to have safty bars so high is for pin squats. They're more of an exercise to acclimate to immense weight though. Pretty easy to do with ~100 or more pounds than your 1RM. I find they are more for core bracing and back position than anything.

>I'm always irritated when I have to wait for equipment due to someone using poor form
this

>I'm the only one who ever seems to squat in ny gym
>tfw this is me
>tfw see everyone staring when I squat deep
>eyes bulging out like "holy shit he can go THAT LOW with all that weight on the bar??"
haters gonna hate man, shit never changes

No rack I've seen in my entire life lets you put the safety bars that high

>ITT: shit that never happened

>mfw I go to the YMCA
>most I've ever seen someone squat to depth was 3pl8
>lifting for 2 months hit 280 yesterday a2g
>fuck boy 16 y/os quarter squat 2 pl8 and think they're the shit

Kill me now please

>doesn't go to a gym with real power racks
>goes to some shitty commercial gym

Laffin