Military Fitness Thread

Military Fitness Thread

How has/much the military got you into shape? Any before and after pictures would be great

I'm shipping out to AF basic in a month so I'm getting my ass ready, any advice/routines for this would be great

>General advice also appreciated

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw
youtu.be/InBXu-iY7cw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

From what I hear, only officers get buff because the grunts are too busy running around to get fit

>chair force
>fit
pick none

just got out of AF basic 4 months ago, expect leg gains / cardio gains and to lose upper body gains

also tech school is where you make most gains. You'll probably have access to a gym and do some good group PT depending on where you go.

I'm deployed with a pararescue unit right now. We just lift weights most of the day. They all like to pump iron so it's a motivational atmosphere

I was actually a 150lb bitchmade guy benching 115 in the army until I got out. Now I'm 180 pushing 300 3x5. The army left me tired all the time and the fucked up schedule demotivated me. Now that I have a set schedule I can set goals easier.

Planning on joining myself. Have to lose a bit of weight first though. Sitting at 257 lbs at 6'3' so really for me to cut down to 210ish is unrealistic so I'm going to try and get 2 inches off my waist then cut the rest through water weight for MEPS. Currently 43 inch waist and 18 inch neck

Man you'll be in the chairforce, my girlfriend is in there and PT is easy as dicks. You'll walk a mile and do some push-ups sometimes and if it's too hot you don't even do that. Be a man and join an actual branch instead of a corporation with jets.

Be a man! Join a branch where you will not come out having a skill other than killing! Great idea. That's why there are so many homeless veterans. Cause all they know how to do is kill. Cause they all joined the fucking Army, or Marines.

Are alot of the guys in your unit pretty fit? What is your MOS? Are alot of the people motivated to stay fit?
Would you say this is true for most of the more 11b type jobs?
fuckk, I'm 150lb benching 115 right now myself. Do you think that it was a diet thing or was your job truly draining?
Glad to hear you are working towards your goals user :)

Just get shoes you know you are comfortable running 30 minutes straight every other day in and do a couch to 5k program.

Air Force PT is relaxed. You just need to hit a 13:36 to pass the 1.5 mile run (if your waste/push-ups/sit-ups are good). They will try to trick you into thinking you'll have problems if you don't hit a 11:57 at basic training during final test but the regs don't give a fuck about that. It's all an act.

You'll be given a reflective belt depending on what your initial assessment is. Don't go balls out on the initial assessment, aim for a yellow belt (between 12-13 mins for 1.5 mile). That way they won't expect as much from you and you'll look like you made super improvements by the time you get tested again.

I think it went red belt=worst, yellow belt=shit but not worst, green belt=better, blue belt=good.

source: In the chair force, want to die, but hey at least the pt is easy

Sorry I don't know shit about army. They're actually in the building next to us, they have to wear their issued PT gear when they work out. I have no idea what kind of time they have back home but deployments are chill

if you wanna do boring desk job work why sell yourself to the Military when you could do it as a civilian at home without being thrown in jail for not doing your job. If someone really wants to join a legitimate branch with well transferable civilian skills then join the Navy so you could still fight (be a SEAL) if you wanted to and if not fuck port side whores and get drunk while learning science and technology youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw

Thanks for the info, what is your MOS?
Navy was my second choice, But I'm just not that fond of water. I'm going in under an open electrical contract so I'll still be working with some technology n shit

11b? Mad respect for infantry bros but they have an awful time maintaining gains with all the running and rucking

I'm actually going to be doing some electrical related job, I was just curious about their gains

maintainer 2A6X6 Unless you've always dreamed of working on airpwanes, don't become an airplane mechanic

All military fitness standards are a joke. Unless you're going to be doing a specifically hard dick MOS then just don't be fucking gross. This goes double for the air force.

Educate yourself. All branches have very rewarding jobs to offer if you're not an idiot. Obviously if you don't pride yourself on the military aspect and don't want any undue suffering, there is no reason to not join the AF. This is fact.

it's all cool OP, just military rivalry bullshit and my lady friend being there and me doing Navy guy shit makes the rivalry more fun for me. Glad to have you on board for service fellow military fag

It's crucial you tell me which one

Made more gains out the chair force and most airmen are lazy fat or skinny fat nerds
>Every one assumed i was a marine out of uniform since i actually worked out
>Getting a 100% in the pt test is cake

Would you find sharing more about your job? I'd say your MOS would have been my 4th choice, so I'd like to know if I was about to make a mistake.

Also would any of you like some wallpapers with my replies? Just as a way of saying thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it

Military fitness is retarded. I got flabby in boot camp. Finally got to lift again in tech school and got a good chunk of my gains back. Been out of school for a minute now, still making bretty good progress. Gotta get creative sometimes, but it's possible to get in pretty decent shape as a submariner.

But yeah, organized fitness is retardedly easy. Boot camp was an insult.

Its AFSC in the chairforce faggot not MOS

>the entire USMC is infantry
kys

dat dere dangerous linguist life

haha, I did love hearing the military banter whenever it came up
Did this make you more of a target at all for being more fit? or did it not really matter
Open contract under the electronic aptitude area, I wont know what job I got until basic is almost over

I got dq'd for heart palpitations even though the EKG results came back good. Its going to San Antonio for a waiver and my recruiter said its about a 90% chance itll get waived. What do y'all think?

What branch?

If Marines, prolly denied. They're trying to downsize. They turned me down for my tattoo (didn't break regs, but comes *close* to breaking regs with its location) and the Navy swooped me up as fast as they could. If it's anyone other than the Marines, you have a decent shot.

I just wanted to hit there standards then just continue my normal workout routine, sounds like you might have done the same thing
I'll keep this in mind
I talked to a guy who had a hear murmur when he was a kid, and he still got in. So I'd say you have a good chance

I'm a linguist in the Marines. You RRP or a faggot?

> fucking with shit that can shock the fuck out of you

> having to change parts that you can't see or get your hands to

> fear of dropping tools/hardware in places you can't get to

> fear of getting fucked for little fuck ups. (e.g. Your working laptop lost a screw and you can't find it? Expect to meet with the commander in your blues, get LOR or Article 15)

> deal with flightline cunts

> deal with flghtline weather

> having to know 80% of the airplane's systems and how to troubleshoot them

Too many cons to this job. Digressing, the Air Force didn't get me fit. Going to the gym on my own personal time got me fit. The other dude who said he was too drained to go work out isn't far off. I know a lot of guys like that. I just push through it.

p.s. no one in the Air force says MOS

AF.

I actually thought it would be the other way around. AF dq's me, but the marines would take anyone

>Did this make you more of a target at all for being more fit? or did it not really matter

Not really was made PT monitor in basic and told fat fucks to do push ups etc and help them pass DI actually had some weird respect for me

Then was made pt monitor on my first duty station for my shop and made sure fat bodies didnt fail and signed off on their weekend mando pt

Both. I just ate what I liked which was mostly sweets. I changed my diet to focus on getting enough protein, I get at least 100 grams of protein a day, eat lots of carbs on training days and go light on rest days. Fat I just try not to eat a ton. Training consistent was a huge changer. Before I'd train twice or so a week not putting much effort into it. Now I push myself and train to improve every time I go. I was a scout in the army, PT was all endurance bullshit and I'd start work by 0630 for pt and end at 1800 usually. Always doing something. You can make it if you're dedicated. Idk how the air force is about field problems but we were usually in the field at least one week a month. So that ruined any chance of a diet or weightlifting.

nigga i was performing above standards the day i was born

Military standards are so low, I lost muscle in boot camp. I struggled to get whatever I could, was knocking out pullups in the laundry room at night and benching/squatting/rowing dudes in my division. It was fucking miserable, every PT session was so lame and easy the hardest part was knowing you could be doing something more productive like sleeping or learning navy or some shit.

>Open contract under the electronic aptitude area, I wont know what job I got until basic is almost over

Thats what I did to, I got trolled.

Enjoy being an aircraft mechanic lol. If you are a 4 year contract I'd tell you to just say fuck it and try it out, but if you are a 6 year... drop out of the dep buddy ol' pal

>The other dude who said he was too drained to go work out isn't far off

Maintainer life sucks dick had gulp rip is so i had some energy to hit gym

>Open contract under the electronic aptitude area, I wont know what job I got until basic is almost oveR

You dun goofed

This was meant for

That sounds rough, have you heard of any other electrical AFSC that seem to have it pretty good? I was looking into Transport Systems as my first choice

Do the fat guys really catch alot of flak? I'm curious how strict whatever health standards they have really are

>open contract

bahahaha dis nigga think he gonna get the job he wants.

Hey buddy you work fighters or heavies?

F-15 engines guy here life sucked ass and glad i got out fuck the strike eagle

>open contact
Jajaja enjoy being a cook

he said it was open electronics ya goof

What's the best branch for someone who is
>5'8"
>120 lbs
[spoiler]>gay[/spoiler]

submarines.

we're all faggots.

>Do the fat guys really catch alot of flak? I'm curious how strict whatever health standards they have really are

Only in basic after that like 35% of airman are lazy fat bodies especially NCOs
>fat fucks actually dreaded the pt tests
>LMAO
>Niggas would pass out during the 1.5 mile run
>JUST FUCK MY BRANCH UP FAMILIA

Lets put it this way. Its probably 80% more likely you will get put in E&E or Avionics than Transport systems. Maintainer AFSC's are listed as "critically manned". That's no bueno. That means it's hard to not get it if you are open-electrical and it's really hard to cross-train out. You are getting trolled by your recruiter lad. Avionics (like Guidance, Com/Nav, and Electronic Warfare) are a bit better than E&E but still sort of the same gist. Flightline grunts, just less systems to worry about.

If you do go through with this though it's not going to be the end of the world. If you do it, just try to stay pretty positive about it and don't let some butthurt maintainer on Veeky Forums influence you too much.

uhhh, how often do people get screwed with this path? 4 year contract but what are the chances of me getting aircraft mechanic?

About the trying it out part, I'm 21 in a poor as fuck situation with my family, so the AF looks really good right now

It could always be worse he could be put in fuels or be a crew chief

Ammo got shat on hard on my base due to so much fuck ups

Also
>100% maintainers drink themselves to sleep

tfw this guy is gonna go ask his recruiter about how hes gonna get fucked into being a mechanic and his recruiter is gonna be like nah bro youll get to pick the job you want dont listen to those guys listen to me im your friend lets go to red lobster

>uhhh, how often do people get screwed with this path? 4 year contract but what are the chances of me getting aircraft mechanic?

Pretty high that or secfo

Only way is to get the contract for the specific job not any sort of general

T. Former engines fag

>Airforce does the flying, Marines do the dying.

Don't listen to this moron. The AF, or Navy are the only branches you can join which give you skills that translate to a job when you go back to being a civilian.

1st year I was in, sub 10% body fat.
1st deployment I bulked the first six months, same diet just add a couple of scoops daily. Cut, and had amazing aesthetics.

Military doesn't really get you in shape, it just takes care of your cardio needs.
The only benefit is the sometimes awesome gyms and encouragement that your free time should be spent working out.
Tue/Thursdays we would leave work early just to ensure we could workout and still make it to the DFAC.

> uhhh, how often do people get screwed with this path? 4 year contract but what are the chances of me getting aircraft mechanic?

Very often and very likely.

> About the trying it out part, I'm 21 in a poor as fuck situation with my family, so the AF looks really good right now

Wow sounds like me (except my [ex]fiancé left me in basic which made things even more shitty). It will probably better your situation. I've saved a lot of money since I joined. I'm looking to be in long enough to get my GI bill benefits (36 months) then try to scam out by "palace chasing" (basically an Active duty to guard program that lets you leave active duty early).

I got about a year left, 2 years if I get denied AF->Guard

Tbqh heavies mechanics are a lot happier than fighter mechanics

They also tdy to cool places and often

Its night and day the personality of heavy guys and fighter guys well for engines anyways

How is medical in AF or Navy? I'm a paramedic and a research coordinator, really wanted to enlist but I don't know what I should do as far as career choices

Second this. Air Frame matters.

But, I'm a C-130 mechanic and life is still pretty bad.

My ex fiancee left me during tech school during xmas time
Made being a mechanic so much better

>At least had gym and booze

4N0's seem really happy, but there job doesn't really give you any licenses that work in the civilian world. However, having prior medical experience as a 4N0 looks good on a resume.

I don't know shit about the Navy.

Navy HMs are overmanned as fuck. If he can managed to score a contract, it's a big pain in the dickhole trying to advance.

Heard nothing much that was good from an Air Force/Navy standpoint, but that could partially be due to Army/Marines consistently being pissy that they have to work harder for less or something. Air Force, you're not gonna get much gains. I see Air Force people all the time and they're all skellies. Heard Army just feeds you carbs, best bet would be Marines.

In the airforce you will be surrounded by easy and slutty women

Beware the SARC lad

I found peace with a lot of whiskey shooters in the SARC park

Good ole SARC park

>Ah sheppard you fucking shithole i hope you burn
>And the mutants that reside in wichita falls texas

Atleast he could buy me dinner before he fucks me over
Does your ASVAB score mean anything when they are placing you into these jobs in reality? I got an 83 in E
Nice man, good to hear that you were in good shape
Do you know of many people who got degrees while on active duty? I was hoping to finish a degree while in and using the GI bill for grad school. How likely is that to happen?

Its a bit disheartening that I most likely wont get the job I want, but I'm still not turned off from the idea of joining, but I still wanna know what I'm really getting myself into

I'm this guy
Pls explain. Is it somewhat easy to go into AF or Navy as a paramedic with a 2yr degree and get into Registered Nursing, ARNP, anesthesia, etc?

>Does your ASVAB score mean anything when they are placing you into these jobs in reality? I got an 83 in E

Nope not at all had a 91 asvab score still turned wrenches

>better prepare that booty soon its going to turn blue

a turbo faggot

haven't DLPT'd yet

Thanks for the info senpai. 4N0 sounds like it's just an EMT-basic working in a clinic giving penicillin and PPD tests. Easy but I'm looking for more advanced stuff

So the navy meme is real...

It always was user.....

youtu.be/InBXu-iY7cw

Do you get to choose what you work on? or is there AFSC's for both (still talking electrical)

Previous experience doesn't really mean shit. The military job selection process goes like so:

-you take ASVAB
-you qualify for certain jobs based on ASVAB scores
-if an opening is available in that job, they offer you a contract

You can qualify for something and still not get that job because there's no contracts available. Navy Corpsmen are super overmanned, there's way more of them than the Navy needs. Therefore, they offer very few contracts for it. I had a lot of college and got a 99 on my ASVAB but they couldn't give me HM because it just wasn't available.

And if you do get in, like I said, it's overmanned so advancing is very difficult.

Oh. Well, I hope you do well and make it.

If you become a linguist go RRP. Thank me later when you're running around with all the other sledge dicks

Navy bros for life user

> Do you know of many people who got degrees while on active duty?

I know some, yes. It's not easy but it's not impossible either. Hope you get a good base with good education options.

There's also loopholes. One I see a lot of dudes using is the base honor guard. Go to guard for 8 months with the possibility to extend and they get away from the flightline for awhile and have some time to do academic work.

Also, this will also be my last post. I hope you helped a bit OP.

Also, good night maintainer bros ITT. Sleep tight xx.

Is the AF like this but instead they are on a plane?

You dont choose shit nigga especially open generals like you

Sorry user im a chairborne ranger through and trough but squids are pretty fun to drink with

Yes

> Gay chicken champ 2011-2014 at my squadron

Good night bro dont wake up hung over

Because you get cash ass benefits for being in the military

Thanks man. The brief we got on radio recon up here was one of the most hype moments of my career thus far.

I wanna go RRP but I'm worried that I won't be fit enough for it. I got slayed like mad on the o-course at boot & MCT but I think that might just be because we were fat fucks who never did any hard PT during our time there

>> Gay chicken
>tfw I will never be able to participate in this because I'm gay so it'd be cheating

I've been RRP for years. If you want to drop me an email or steam name or something, I'll hit you up and would be happy to speak to you about it.

My 50 year old mother is ready for Air Force Basic Training. I am not fucking kidding in the slightest - she would be in the middle of the pack and pass every requirement.

Take your shitty pay and jack-off to the thought of your GI Bill. But please stop being proud of having a "Military" fitness related job. Now, once you are actually in the Air Force, there are some (emphasis on the word "some") MOS jobs that require high standards. But that comes latter.

No one has to know user.....

Well fuck me. That really makes me second guess the whole thing...thanks for the heads up tho bro, much appreciated.

You could always do the reserves easy as fuck

>But please stop being proud of having a "Military" fitness related job
What the fuck are you talking about? When did I say anything of the sort?

It's not gay if it's underway

pic related

It's not gay if you are wearing boot straps M8

Is AFROTC hard

rah. [email protected]

By the looks and behaviours of my previous officers a braindead chimp can do it

It's only queer by the pier

pic unrelated

Its only gay if you look each other in the eyes

Don't worry if o become an officer I will be one you can rely on and be proud of

Current member of a non-US recon marine unit here

Most of the guys in my unit are relatively skinny. The training and the missions they do requires endurance a lot more that strength. For example, most of the main fitness tests here include running for time, or running with full equipment (uniform, shoes, vest, gun) and being able to shoot a target immediately afterwards. In a "realistic" wartime exercise they are required to be able to walk very long distances (25+km a night for several nights) with heavy equipment. Once you get used to the weight (and know how to properly fit a backpack) it's mostly a matter of pushing forward with your legs.

yeah this all they care about is making sure you stay in shape cardio wise. most of the PT we do is crossfit

most of the gyms have good set ups up to you to use them

>Don't worry if o become an officer I will be one you can rely on and be proud of

Yeah about that......