I run 4 km in 25 minutes. What's wrong with me?

I run 4 km in 25 minutes. What's wrong with me?

You're running.

Run regularly. There are "noob gainz" at running, you wil improve at every run the first couple of months, especially if you lose weight at the same time.

Actually I run three times a week, but I feel that I could put more effort.

Don't run at the same pace every time. If you run 3 times per week, you could do something like:

day 1 - maximum distance at slow pace
day 2 - maximum speed for as long as you can
day 3 - 1km slow pace, 2km medium pace, maximum pace until failure

Progressive overload every week. You should be dying out there on days 2 and 3.

This is roughly what I did preparing for a half marathon, took me 2 months to go from running 5km max to 21km. It greatly increased both my endurance and my times.

Hope that helps bruh.

If you're just starting it isn't abysmally bad either. That's something like 10km/h (9:40 mile pace for 2.5 miles in freedom units).
Just keep running and tracking your progress Try to vary your training too

>maximum speed for as long as you can
funniest thing ive seen all day. pray tell, how does one run maximum speed for as long as they can? for me, that's about 175 meters...

aiming for a PB this week sub 22min

Maximum speed maintainable for a reasonable period, obviously. A 100 meter sprint would be literal "maximum speed", what I was getting at is to set the fastest tempo your body can deal with that's not an all out sprint. You might go 500 meters or 1km, when you fail, rest for a few minutes and go again.

I realize I explained it poorly in the first post, but you must have known what I was getting at.

>for me, that's about 175 meters...
Then you run at max speed for 175 meters, then the next week you push it up to 180, Dumbass.

no, i really don't. what exactly is a "reasonable period"? what is "the fastest tempo your body can deal with that's not an all out sprint?" you do realize that running progression is more subtle than changing gears from "sprinting" to "jogging," right?

i run 200m faster than 400m, 400m faster than 800m, 800m faster than a mile, a mile faster than 5k, a 5k faster than a 10k. so this "fastest tempo" baloney makes no sense to me

Yes, though I did fail to explain that you don't run 175 and go home in this case, but rest and go again and again until you're so fatigued that your fastest is slow as fuck.

You're a pedantic son of a bitch, aren't you?

Here:

first time, run at your best 500m pace

next time, try to keep that 500m pace up for longer than 500m

rince and repeat

if i were to push it up to 180 the next week, i wouldn't be running at max speed anymore though. unless you're actually delusional enough to think that with enough training the best runners in the world can sprint a mile...

no, i'm just explaining why your advice isn't helpful to anyone. unless you provide specific distances, your advice literally means nothing. now that you've said "500m pace", it actually means something. see how that works?

a mile is not that far

t. has stopped making progress after a month

i recon i could out and out sprint half a mile and i've only been running properly 8months or so

The whole point of that day is to build speed and power, you will never sprint a mile at your 100m sprint pace because that's a 900% improvement which is the equivalent of starting your squat at 100kg and expecting to squat a ton.

However, you can take your current 50m sprint pace and expand it to 1000 meters over time, in the same way your squat would progress from 100kg to 200kg.

so are you telling me that the best miler in the world couldn't run 800meters at a faster pace? because if that's the case i'll clear this up right now; every single elite miler can.

>your current 50m sprint pace

I meant 500m obviously.

Ok, fair enough.

no you couldn't. go out and time yourself running 200m as fast as you can. then time yourself running 800m as fast as you can. i GUARANTEE you that your 4x200m will be faster than 800m.

Geee whiz OP You suree did outsmart me, you've really beaten us all here with your superior intellect and semantic nit picking. I can see now that progressive sustained training wont work on you because you are just too smart, your brain is just sooo large it is creating wind resistance problems, have yourself a mountain dew and pat yourself on the back, safe in the knowledge that there is absolutely nothing you can do to increase your max sprint times, good job buddy.

usane bolt 100m 9.58
200m 19.19

oh its faster

what im wondering is, why are you trying to save face by shitposting on an anonymous message board...?

Why do you end every post with ". . ." do you think it makes you look smart or do you just have autism?

200m is not a mile and 100m is not 800m. the reason for his faster 200m split can be explained by the fact that a much higher percentage of a 100m race is wasted on acceleration than a 200m race. usain bolt wouldn't run 400m faster than 200m, thats for certain.

Gonna try this to train for a 5k military test. Thank you, kind user

well its twice the fookin distance he would need to be goin twice as fast...

ie would still be running at 100% because its a record so his 200m mark would be the same time as his 200m finish time

whats the pass needed?

i'm not saying his time for 400m will be better than his time for 200m. but his 200m splits for 400m will be slower than if it were just a simple 200m race.

on an unrelated note will she say yes?

yh lastweek was a steady pace because of squatting so heading for 21:30 this week if i force it

I squat every training day because I fell for le SS meme. Will this harm my progress significantly?

You're not helping anyone, you're just acting like a stuck up child.
His second post explained everything thoroughly enough, needing someone to tell you exactly how to do things isn't good for your exercise nor life in general.

to be honest you shouldn't try to progress on both at the same time. i run faster if i didn't squat this week.

>Tfw 22min personal best
>tfw something always comes up when im getting close
>exams
>holidays
>renovations

FUCK. I want a sub 20 min 5km more than i want to go to heaven. I reached 22min running once a week and just aiming to do better, whats your routine brah? you seem to be lowering your time consistently with the random spike, how do i into consistent progress

Welp, shit. What do you suggest i do? Stop squatting altogether, alternate weeks squatting/running? Possibly stupid question: wouldn't progressing both at the same time result in some sort of conditioning?

not him but i got down to a 23min while doing SS and hitting a 2.5platr squat. Neither of these stats are impressive and due to me not focusing on one specifically i imagine. Maybe if i squatted less my time would be lower and vice versa.

no clue just advice ive read. i now squat alternate weeks. i don't mind doing this as my legs are too big for my shorts anyway

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll probably go on as I'm doing for now, and then see what to do. Still have some 9.5 months to get ready and I just need to get my 5k down from 25:30.

random spike was due to squatting

i run 5-6k steady pace 4 days a week then do a 5k on sat so 5 days a week

ive begun doing a longer run on tuesday 10k+

>9.5 months

if youre already at a 25min 5km and have no reason to stop running these coming 9.5 months i have no doubt that youll have a competitive time

>5 days per week

how do you balance this with lifting? I currently lift 4 days a week leaving me with 3 days, one of which is for cycling. Do you feel fine doing a 5km after the gym? I feel too buggered after lifting to even give cardio a thought but i know ill never get to a 20min 5km by running twice a week, somethings gotta give.

Nigga just run as fast as you can until you literally can't run anymore.

thanks for the encouragement, mate. I am putting my all into this and it really feels good to have somebody support me, even if it's a stranger on an anime forum on the Internet.

I like you, Veeky Forums

i run 1k before lifting and 4k after with the dog
i do push pull mon tue
push pull thursday friday

like i said its a nice steady pace
its not easy but i do it "caffine"

Best of luck friendo

So nothing to it but to do it? Looks like ill just have to start running after lifting i guess. My routine is similar to that too. Hopefully we reach 20min times by this years end

yh i guess i started out fatty so couldn't run far but with progressive overload 5k is not bad now.

just do 1k then up it with music 20 ish minutes soon goes by

i would ;3

Lads I just switched from treadmill to running on the road and it is killing my achilles

Is this normal?

i dont know, try and find a local park with grass to do laps on. I found running indoors and outdoors to be two completely diff things. I adjusted better going from soft grass track then to concrete personally, take my advice with a grain of salt.

On the topic of switching, does anyone else find it hard to maintain their outdoor pace on the treadmill? I can run at the equivalent speed outside for almost an hour but cant clear it on a treadmill for 30mins. What gives? im certain im tracking my distance correctly as i use an app plus time a route whos distance i have measured.

ty ;P

i found running on roads easier than my mill and its a commercial 1. try other shoes. fortunatly i've never had shin splints or any other problems. i usually stop when im exhauseted or i have cramp

i agree with you on your second point i assume because my tredmill is not accurate i run 13.9 outside but struggle to maintain this inside. but fresh airflow might help too

lovely ring, go run a good run to make sure the guy handing it to her is in tip top shape

yeah my friends are in disbelief when i tell them my speed outside comes to about 12km/h on a treadmill and i look like im dying as i try to maintain it for half the distance at the gym

Been running about 4 months now, moving to 10k as my focus instead of 5k. How the fuck do you stay hydrated on longer runs? Am I ment to run holding a 1L water bottle?

if you've been doing it for a while but still are slow your technique is probably crap and inefficient, you have to run upright and light without throwing your weight around

;) im making good progress :) in all depatments
thanks

like i said i think its down to the treadmill being inaccurate or even the terrain

fuck holding a bottle
you should be hydrated enough for a 10k with out the water half way through just bust it out

This is gonna sound stupid as fuck but this has also been keeping me from doing long runs away from my area. The idea of carrying a water bottle the whole time i dont like so i end up doing laps at the local park where i drop my stuff down can pick up my water bottle as i run past it. That or i do neighborhood runs and time it so that i go past my house at least once at the half way point and have a bottle outside waiting for me.

Running at a field is very handy i admit, i can just drop all my stuff at a point and at worst am 500m from it at all times should i need it which i often done

>fuck holding a bottle
looks like ill have to try it one day then

why don't u just drink more during the day i drink 6-8L and dont need extra while im running 10k+

you can get hidration packs with straws but i dont think u need that

Bruh aint no way I can run 10k in this heat with no drink, 5k I could manage but not 10.
I might have to do loops like this I guess but theres gotta be a better way 2bh

i actually do, i rarely need to drink when running unless its 35 degrees, im just curious whats to be done when i decide to do 10+km and not a looping type run

we can always hire people to stand around at certain points and hand us water

progressive overload its possible ive done it marathon runners do it

>4km 25min
>cardio
>25min

good bye gainz

no, you definitely can. i went for a 15 mile run the other day in 75 degree heat. as long as you hydrate handily before and after the run, water is unnecessary midrun.

>75degree heat

not to be rude mate but are you saying that because you could do a long run in 23degree celcius weather, others should have no issue doing long runs in 35degree celcius/95F weather?

sorry, i didn't realize we were talking about such extreme heat. where i live 95 degree weather isn't super common, but a couple of weeks ago we did have a 95 degree day and i went for a 8 mile jog without water. i definitely wouldn't have gone 15 miles without water in 95 degree heat though. i always try to get my longest runs of the week in either early in the morning or late at night, so that i can run in 75 degree heat instead of 95

so if possible, i'd recommend doing your longest runs of the week in the morning or at night. but i still don't think you'd have a problem running 10k in 95 degree heat. i certainly don't

yes i agree wtith the 10k in 95F but that would be my personal limit i think, a 15mile run in such heat that i and prob experience is the issue i imagine. Maybe we can train up to the point where we dont need it but in such heat i personally dont like to risk things.

Early or night runs it is i guess

Idk man after a 10k I am SOAKED with sweat, looks like someone tossed a glass of water on me, literally I dont feel safe running it with no drink.

I'm slow as fuck, not a fatty either, and Mo Farrahs 5k pace is literally a sprint for me. So as far as I know, he does.

>tfw from same place as mo farrah
>tfw same build
>tfw 5km isnt even close

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

you're from somalia?

yeah and i suck at running but have 1234 lifts. I dont get whats happening

Any tips on improving my 2 mile time? Want to get under 12 min, currently at 13:10. Should i just run 2 miles until i get under 12 or run longer/shorter distances.