/plg/ - powerlifting general

It is officially summer.

The stories and information posted in PLG are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/p/BGfQfJdJl3R/
andersonpowerlifting.com/neoprene-knee-sleeves-p/sbd-knee-sleeves-pair.htm
usapl.liftingdatabase.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first for rasputin is a qt

What the fuck am I doing wrong then? It just happens when I start pulling hard with my hams.

It doesn't exactly hurt but feels really fucking nasty and makes me stop.

I have no idea. See a doctor m8

>The stories and information posted in PLG are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
>Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

So that explains sean then?

----------NEW INSTAGRAM VIDEO----------
instagram.com/p/BGfQfJdJl3R/

Leg curls are notorious for causing knee pains

better one I made.

No no, it's not the knee - it's like the insertion point of the hamstrings in the kneecap, I guess.
It feels like the hamstring is being pulled on really fucking hard. But it feels weird and nasty, not good.

>starting strength
Really is summer

Try googling the issue

it's winter where I live

If it feels nasty don't do it

I do not give a shit about your shitty poor country

>insertion point of the hamstrings in the kneecap

Alright, I guess I'll give it a try.
So what do I do for my hamstring then? :/

Reverse hypers, deadlifts, rdl?

Why do I squat 30 lb more than my deadlift

So we're clear my squat is 535 and deadlift is 505

You're a pussy and neglect deadlift volume

Deadlift volume and squat volume almost identical t b h lad

High squats, poor DL form, incredibly shitty DL leverages.

maybe you squat alot more and neglect deadlift
mine are pretty close (but dead is still higher)

or of course there is always the possibillity you are cutting depth but we know you will say you arent so whatever

Obviously it actually inserts below the knee, yes.
But by in the knee cap I mean very close to it, which it is.

Better technique, better leverages, trying harder... Could be a variety of things

Switch to sumo stance and watch ur deadlift shit on ur squat overnight

Deadlift more
That's the only solution. Increasing volume is literally the only fucking way to progress.

That's the fundamentals of weight lifting for fucks sake

Googled it and read that hams should not be worked in isolation as they are meant to work with glutes or some shit.
One should either do this
or use a ball and do some kind of curls that way.
I can't do RDLs due to inflexibility though. Are they still legit when done from blocks / the rack?

Otherwise I will try and see how I can get revers hypers or this ball stuff to work with weight.

Both lifts were done in a meet to standards so that's not the case

Finally some real advice

>Googled it and read that hams should not be worked in isolation as they are meant to work with glutes or some shit.

Interesting. Thanks for letting me know my man, much appreciated.

You may benefit from freeing up the hips a bit to do RDLs
Bottom right image is the best

>Finally some real advice
not really, not saying dont try it, but my deadlift was 10 kg more than squat
tried switching to sumo after meet and couldnt get them better than my conventional while them also feeling shit

hope it works for you tho

My hips are totally fucked, my APT almost looks clownish because my ass sticks out like crazy.
Did these lunges today, spent around 45-60 seconds per leg.
Felt brutal but good.

But it will need some time to unfuck this hip situation and during that time I cannot conventional nor RDL without rounded lower back.

>tried switching to sumo after meet and couldnt get them better than my conventional while them also feeling shit
But sumo is cheating!

>Googled it and read that hams should not be worked in isolation as they are meant to work with glutes or some shit.
It doesn't matter, he's probably using retardedly high weight.

Dietmar-type programs often have hamstring curls programmed in, and it's really just an issue of using easy weights. Like guys that deadlift 250kg+ hamstring curling like no more than 40kg.

I see my man. Ever thought of seeing a physio? If not check out "Dr Kelly Starlett" on YouTube. He has a lot of great mobility videos if you check the "playlists" section.

He wrote "becoming a supple leopard"

i wish it was believe me
so disappointed when i didnt get my complimentary 40kg to deadlift

>Tfw was able to 10 lb LP my sumo deadlift 55 lbs higher than my conventional 5 rm

Yea, I know that guy and about is books.
Watched a few of his videos but they are so overloaded with information that I can't really comprehend the information behind it after.
In all of his videos I saw of him he goes around and shows this and then that and then also very important is doing this, and then here another variation and then also do that, etc.

Mad respect for all his knowledge, but I need something time efficient that covers the most important issues that I am dealing with.

And I think, for the moment, I need to adress my fucked update hip flexors and work on my weak hams and glutes and spinal erectors.

Too much weight might be a thing, yep.
But I thought making them stronger is the purpose of doing them in the first place?

yeah but you are at a stage where everything improves anyway
your conventional probably went up too

>tfw squat 3rm is 140kg and sumo diddly is 190kg
I got some long ass femurs.

Yes, but start out with weight you can EASILY handle, this is kind of the key to Dietmar-type programming, it's actually never supposed to be weight you can't control, this is also why most accessory slots are left open in terms of weight; did it feel shitty? Lower the weight, no harm done.

I strongly recommend, despite all sense and reason, you don't take the logical approach and try to fix what you think is the matter.

I recommend you find the video from his channel that best suits your needs and go over it slowly and really listen to what he says.

If you post the exact video I could analyse it for you.

I do them for sets of 10 desu. Feels really good after doing a bunch of quad dominant stuff right before it

My conventional was miserable. Built up to 310x5 through 5 lb LP and then tanked for no reason down 20 lbs or so. After my pec tears, they were both the same weight, so I said fuck it.

Haven't really found the relevant video to my issue on his channel, to be honest.

I mean, I can simply search for APT fixes, but then I'll just end up finding stretches for the hip flexors - and that is what I am doing anyways.

Or where exactly do you think my logic might fail me? I can see in the mirror that I have APT, so I do stretches for my hip flexors.

I just wanna make sure you're doing the right thing. Making logical steps without experience can be counter intuitive.

As long as you're sure what you're doing is right is all I wanted.

Long shot asking here but deadlifting is hurting my knee

Any good YouTube videos on the subject?

Sumo?

Conventional. Very high volume and frequency.

Well, that's cool of you.
But at this point I'll just trial and error until I am bored of trying to keep up with my body's resistance against lifting heavy weights.

Had back pain, held me back a great deal, eventually fixed.
Then realized I can't even conventional no matter how much i practice hip hinge.

Then my fucking knees start hurting for no reason that would be apparent from looking at my form (to me and others in this plg).

Now I am left at doing sumo deadlift and not squatting, doing abitrary things that I read on the Internet as measurement to possible causes of knee pain in the squat.
Which is addressing muscle imbalances such as weak core, glutes and hams as well as tight quads.

I'll do this for like 2 months, then start squatting again, will probably run into something stupid again and then eventually I will most likely do something else that is more suited for me.

I got nothing m8, sorry. Try asking a more experienced trip when they're on

Lolololol fucking overheard this convo

"Yeah I think we're done. Shes a nice girl but I just don't see a future with her"
"Brian she STABBED YOU WITH A SERVING FORK"

In my honest opinion all this stretching business seems like it wont help much.
I mean you never had these issues before without stretching. They're just issues which heed rehabilitation IMHO

yes stretching helps, but I feel it's best to keep stretching vague and not target all these minute muscles and what not. Logically stretching the protagonist muscle will just make the antagonist muscle (and visa versa) tighter in comparison and surely that would be a cause of issue?

Honestly if I were you I'd get a referral to a physio to fix my hips, as first priority.

But I've gone full circle. If you're confident that's what you need to do to fix the issue then ignore me please. I'm only giving my I out on what I understand of the situation, without your experience.

because you're a cool guy

Biggest cause of APT in my experience is weak glutes and abs, especially abs, from never learning how to brace. Stretching can only do so much for you if you dont fix the motor issues behind the problem.

Lunge stretches are great since you need glute action for any sort of stretch, so keep up woth those. But most importantly learn to use your core, not just rectus but all the internal abdominals as well. Planks are great for this.

You may need to go down in the weights youre lifting in order to brace properly. Do planks before squats/deads to prime your CNS. Watch Chris Duffin and KStarr information on how to brace and what bracing is. Do very slow paused and breathing (staying in the hole with the bar for 15-20 breaths or more) squats/deads.

Good luck my man, youll figure it out.

Hey, Alex. What size knee sleeves do you think would fit for me? I'm thinking of getting medium SBDs. I want them to come on/off pretty easily for training.

What's up Alex?

I didn't have these issues before lifting, no.
But it seems logical that through lifting the muscle groups became bigger and were put under more stress than when I wasn't lifting.
It only seems logical that a bigger muscle that is also stressed regularly has a bigger potential of becoming tight and also having greater impact.
And it also seems logical that muscle imbalances become way severe by lifting, since the gap is being stretched out even harder.

I can't remember having such APT before I started lifting, for example.

I appreciate your input and i will likely consider involving a PT along the way, but for now I will just follow what I have laid out in my mind and see where it takes me.
It won't be too much of a loss if it ends up not working, there are plenty of other activities that I can do in life.

>tfw almost done being a wagecuck
>Get to go home and make some webms from today for everyone to give me shit about my form
Can't wait

WELL GEE GUY, HAVE YOU TRIED MAYBE MEASURING YOUR KNEE ACCORDING TO THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE SIZING CHART?!? NO? OF COURSE YOU HAVEN'T YOU FUCKING MOUTHBREATHING RETARD

How to break in belt a bit lads? Been using the comfy ones from mates at the gym but now got my own that's fine for squats but kills me on deadlift. Got a meet in a month so if I can just make the pain down to bearable level that'd be good.

andersonpowerlifting.com/neoprene-knee-sleeves-p/sbd-knee-sleeves-pair.htm
see the sizing chart. mine are in the car and I'm in the house drinking a chocolate chip frappe and eating mcdonalds, but I'm pretty positive mine are larges. I'm sure mediums would work fine for you, and if not you'll grow into them.

work was ok today and I just got home. drive that usually takes about an hour took me a touch over 2 hours because some dumbcunts got into an accident on an already notoriously busy highway. plus it's 92F here so the drive went from an hour of being comfy and listening to podcasts to being 2 hours of me sweating my dick off.

so I'm happy to be where I am now.

Also, this might sound memey but the Ashtanga standing sequences are extremely athletic and worth doing.

Especially the triangle poses, they help teach you how to hip hinge one leg at a time, so muscle tightness doesnt really interfere. If youre really bad APT your hamstrings wont want to let go in any sort of bent over position, especially not under load, since letting go even more could hurt your back. So teaching them its 'ok to let go' one leg at a time in the triangle poses is a great way to form proper motor patterns, since the back is safe.

Try setting it higher up for deads

That sounds good, like somewhat promising that I might be on the right track.

I'll still have to figure out how to work my glutes properly.
Glute bridges felt weird. People told me and actually demonstrated that they started with 100kg doing them and that I should be able to do that easily too.
But the exercise just feels weird, kind of. I think that I just have no concept of glute activation.
Can't remember ever feeling them in my squat.
Same for hamstrings.

For bracing .... Yea, I think it's not too bad, but it can be improved most likely. I am a real mental-let when it comes to it though. Bracing really, really hard is such an uncomfortable feeling that instantly rises the urge to stop it inside of me every time I do it.
It's like the most exhausting thing is bracing and not actually lifting the weight.

As for core work I will either do planks of ab wheel rollouts.
Rollouts I did today, must say it felt weird and I believe my freaking lower abs had some kind of cramp at some point. They started feeling weird and I stopped.

Planks with some weight on my back actually felt quite nice, a real good 45 seconds of trying to not let the hip drop and a real good feeling of exhaustion at the end.
So I guess I'll stick with planks

The sizing chart has me right on the cusp of medium and large, but I'm such a twink I don't believe it.

Interesting.

I had Marcel once told me to practice hip hinging with a broom stick, trying to keep it in touch with the back at all three points while bending back.
Never really snapped in my head though, never really did it with great motivation either thogh.

I'll add what you mentioned to the list. Since I can't squat at the moment I have enough time to fill and it sounds promising.

>Don't recall ever feeling [glutes] in the squat
Squat like Rippe teaches and that's all you'll feel lel

Sitting back at lot and having a real flat back angle?

Strangely not, no. All that does is making my lower back feel shit, because once again it requires more hip hinging, which I can't do properly, and this end up with a rounded lower back in a motion that is back dominant.
Not a good combination for me

Wew lad, hope you fix your shit soon

I hope so too.
And I hope you stop injuring yourself!

I'm good now famalam. Just a really bad cramp/muscle spasm. Pretty much back to normal at this point

The sizing chart had me on the border of medium and large, so I just got a large. I plan on eventually going up to 93kg, so I'll fill them out eventually. Enjoy your weekend at home!

That's quite remarkable, for your desu lad.

Go get all the gains now while nothing holds you back

a friend who is banned instructed me to post this video

>tfw cuddling already asleep gf and her already sleeping body subconsciously reacts to it by grabbing your hand

Good night lads

>tfw gf is back in ohio 8 hours away
>tfw I'll probably break up with her before too long since I don't want to do long distance
>tfw I don't really care that much since I'm making bank being a wagecuck now

>gf

I have like the skinniest legs ever and I was between a large and an xl remember that a small is going to be worn by a 43kg woman

Squat isnt really a huge mover in the squat despite the meme. Primarily hamstring and quads. It does help stabilize the pelvis so that they can do their work, though.

And yes, bracing should be the hardest part of the movement. You get used to it.

Do your planks right before squats/deads. Not to exhaustion or failure, but to prime the bracong pattern. Also, those paused breathing sets will do more for you than you might think. Do them heavy but not so heavy you'll hurt yourself.

That broomstick thing is silly, I have seen it before but not everyone is built the same. Even on the veterbral disc level there are variations in angles, so your neutral spine may not be with all three points on a plane. Your CNS is built to protect the spine though, so long as youre not dysfunctional. its better to learn proper bracing and let everything fall into place than to micro manage everything.

Fucking glutes* lmfao

anyone have any big plans for the weekend?

>ywn be filip

Why don't you have a gf

In for having to eat shitty microwaved frozen lasagna

My knee hurt deadlifting conventional too. Turned out my arm/elbow on the mixed grip arm was touching my leg and I subconsciously pushed my knee in. Take w video and see. After I widened my grip a little if went away.

tfw not boardshorts

>be 105kg at 6' tall
>learn Bryce Lewis is 5'5

What is even the point famalam

I have to be morbidly obese like Blaine sumner at my height

Trip on drugaroo

Can I be an ebin trip?

5ft 8in
160 pounds
Lifting three years
Bench 195 3x8
Squat and deadlift going to work on with my next bulk
Ohp 120 3x8

I work really hard GANBARU and I have a four inch penis.

PL has a 120kg class.

Man, I hate that feeding of having to burp while squatting with a belt. Did 2 reps and felt the gas coming up. I still managed all 275x6 reps even though I felt like I was going to puke on 4 of them.

>Norris out squats and deadlifts tuchscherer and most 120s for that matter
>Norris also out totals every single raw 105 lifter in the world

how is this allowed?

Even that is a ridiculous bodyweight.

>jesse norris

I'm not finding him on goodlift.info, just some lolfed website usapl.liftingdatabase.com/

Of course the glutes are a huge mover in the squat, what makes you think otherwise? In the low bar squat (if you lean over enough) the hamstrings don't actually change length very much due to the knee and hip flexion usually being fairly balanced, meaning their function is primarily isometric. They only really lengthen to a great degree if you try and keep your shins pretty vertical.

In the bottom of an ATG front squat however, the hamstrings are as shortened as they can be, therefore they can't contribute much to hip extension out of the bottom whatsoever. That is why front squatting can give you glute doms if you're not used to doing them, since they're having to do most of the hip extension work themselves.

The glutes will always be lengthened and contribute tremendously to hip extension in any type of squat.

if this is kg, ok
if not, kill yourself

Hi plg I'm a new friend. How do I into powerlifting?

I've been lifting around 10 months (with 5 months of fucking around not knowing what the fuck I was doing i.e. didnt even squat or deadlift) and my stats are (lbs):

Bench: 185
Squat: 240
Diddly: 305

I know I'm still weak as shit but that's aside the point. Should I keep doing a 3-days-a-week full body 3x5 routine until I gain more strength or should I switch to a different program that would more suit someone who's ultimate goal is to be a powerlifter?

Not kg

Im going to get stronger on my next bulk.