Beans

Goddamn, I just realized how great a food beans are. I heard they were the protein source of the vegan, and holy shit if that didn't turn out to be true. Get this, per 100g:
>292 kcal
>21.4g protein

I have lived on mostly chicken breasts for I don't know how long, and decided to use it for comparison, again per 100g:
>169 kcal
>27g protein

It's a lot lower in energy content, but that's because the beans give you some carbs as well. But aside from that, the protein content is completely comparable! 21 vs 27! And I haven't even gotten to the part that really gets me going, I just wanted you to see that beans work for getting the proteins if you eat an equivalent amount, but get this:

>Chicken: 10€ / kg
>Beans: 2€ / kg

A FIFTH THE PRICE! This is game changing for me, being a student with fuck all to spend on anything. I don't care how gross beans turn out to be, I'm going to find out some ways to prepare them and if necessary learn how to like them.

Other urls found in this thread:

nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4284/2
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They're also the healthiest protein source

If you're having black beans, have them with some diced tomato and lime juice

I tried to make that bean dip from YouSuckAtCooking today, with moderate success. I didn't at all mind the taste of the beans, but I fucked up the recipe. Definitely gonna try again, and go looking for other things as well.

check out lentils
100g is like 120 calories and 9g of protein with a shit ton of fiber

I think I'm turning vegetarian for entirely different reasons than I thought I would, this shit just seems convenient and awesome.

Check out red lentils especially. They're less filling so easier to eat and they cook faster. Throw some carrot and onion in while it's simmering, top with generous amounts of black pepper and a pinch of salt, and it's delicious.

Chickpeas and kidney beans are two of my favorites. Kidney beans have a soft mashed potato-like texture and are great with chili powder and hot sauce, chickpeas are more solid and are great with just salt n pepper, or blended with lemon juice and cumin with green onion mixed in.

I checked out lentils as well, since the two were just next to each other at the store. Completely impressed, and bought a kilo just to have them.

The numbers on the back of this are slightly different from yours though. Might this be pre-soaking? They grow a lot with the water, so that might change the proportional protein content.

yes that's pre soaked

Probably dry vs cooked. Lentils don't need to be soaked either. Black beans don't really need to be either, they taste better if you don't soak them (that black coating rinses off and you lose some of that smoky flavor).

>Kidney beans
I think I might be a bit confused about which kinds of beans I've seen and bought. I'm in Spain for the year, and they insist on writing everything in Spanish on their packaging. I think I might have bought some of those as well though, if they're "alubia roja" in Spanish.

Anybody have any links to great recipes for different types of legumes? I don't know where to start, and for all the googling I'm doing I only find wimpy chick-meals that won't amount to anything in terms of protein.

I think that's them. The relatively big dark red kidney-shaped beans.

Yup, sounds and looks right. They were really hard and unchewable before boiling for a while. I should probably do as the packaging says and soak them for 10 hours in the fridge next time.

>alubia negra
>lenteja pardina

métele veggies a full a las lentejas (cebolla, zanahoria, pimiento verde, tomate, patata)

te corres

They have inferior amino-acid profiles though.

op you should be a hand model

Thanks but lol, you can't even see half of one of my hands.

What does this mean for someone eating nothing but legumes for protein?

Yeah, they need a soak first and a long cooking time. I've had old beans that I've had to throw out too because if they're old, they never get soft. Properly prepared kidney beans are great though.

Basically nothing, especially if you also eat vegetables, nuts, grains, and other foods.

Well I don't know user, I am not an expert. But I think they don't get used as optimally.

That's the nutritional value of 100g of DRY black beans PRE-SOAKED. I love beans too (I literally just had 200g of kidney beans with rice) but once that 100g is soaked and cooked, that'll be an absolute fuckton of beans. And since there's a lot of fat in it you'll be satiated and full for quite a while.

This is the problem with using legumes as your primary protein source. Like that fucktard vegan image comparing 100 calories of broccoli to 100 calories of steak, ignoring that 100 calories of broccoli is like a whole fucking stalk.

Pic related is what 100g of cooked (black) beans really gives you. Not that great desu. Beans should complement whatever the main (better) protein source on your plate is, not replace it.

I was mostly just saying that to ask if that was actually you taking pictures of beans in your kitchen lol. I don't know why I find that idea hilarious.

Like pic related. Not really related at all actually but there's my hand.

can't i do anything right

Are they a complete protein? I thought soy was the only complete plant protein.

No, they're not. And anyone who asserts any plant protein is superior to animal protein is lying or an idiot.

However, it's not an issue since assuming you're not having the beans by themselves and you're having them with bread, rice, vegetables, etc., then you're likely gonna get a complete protein profile anyway.

OK cool thanks man.

>a lot of fat in beans

Ah fuck, my bad. My mind was on there being more calories in a gram of fat and I got that confused with the carb content.

The idea of complete and incomplete protein is kind of dumb in the first place. Regardless, most legumes have an amino acid score above 100. Black beans are one of them.

nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4284/2

>7 Sex Positions That Involve Minimal Eye Contact

Goddamn, that means like 2kg of pure beans if I wanted my daily dose of protein. Not gonna happen then I guess. Still, I like to have something like this to snack on or whatever, an alternative.

Lots of carbs tho. gotta work it in the mix

I personally dont eat them because I like other carb sources better.

I might add them next meal plan. They are super cheap and god damn bodybuilding can be expensive.

> 10 € /kg
da fuq chikin start from 4 €/kg here (italy)

Well, that's why chicken is the king of protein: lots of protein packed into just a few bites with minimal calories.

But for the sake of your general well-being and long-term health, for the love of God, include legumes on your plate. Chicken is also expensive but beans are dirt cheap. Cut down on the chicken/beef and up the legumes - best of both worlds.

and if I add them in they wont be replacing meat... Still need plenty of beef, chicken and fish. beans are not gonna cut it alone.

well maybe for some of you malets. Im 6'2" 230-235 lb. need to eat a bit more then your average 150lb cunt.

Just noticed that

Nothing wrong with lots of carbs so long as it fits into your daily calorie intake. That's the short and sweet of it from a fitness POV.

From an overall health POV, it all depends on whether it's good complex carbs or not so good (but not necessarily 'bad') simple carbs.

This sounds like what I'm left with after this thread. Beans aren't a replacement, but can easily be added to my diet with great success, both health-wise and monetarily.

I am picturing meals with slightly less chicken and rice, replaced by more beans instead.

There's a reason this board is no longer named Health & Fitness.

Half the shit we do here is unhealthy.

Yeah beans are fantastic and a major part of my diet. I cook them with chicken, some kind of peppers, and sometimes tomatoes or pearled barley. Add whatever spices you prefer and it's a great meal

Yeah, pretty much.

I mean, you're basically describing Mexican food anyway (P4P #1 gains cuisine IMO).

eat too many, and the fiber will turn your shit to liquid. but theyre great, complex carbs and shit tons of antioxidants and anthocyanins giving them their black color

Mexicans damn sure know how to make a meal.

Yup.

Next on your shopping list should be some cilantro/coriander and every damn kind of pepper and chilli you can find. Learn how to integrate chicken, legumes, and herbs/vegetables, and you'll never complain about gains food being boring again.

(Some cheese also woudn't go amiss - grate that shit over the beans and goddamn.)

AND AVOCADO.

Motherfucker how could I forget avocado. Not just guacamole either - that shit is fucking amazing with scrambled eggs in the morning. Although, beware the fat; it's all good fats in an avocado but it does lead to a pretty high calorie content.

Plant based dieter here. Been eating quina with black beans (sometimes other beans to mix it up) the last 5 years.

Heres a snack. Cook some quina, dont even need salt. Put some chili black beans on top. Then decorate with chopped green onions.
Fuckin delicious.

>quina
What is that?

sorry, quinoa

quinoa is so damn expensive though

>I think that's them. The relatively big dark red kidney-shaped beans.

theyre called kidney beans dumbass

Dang. We need a health board now then.

>this thread
>that brand

Its like someone's tryii g to sell me something

Go to Costco with a friend who has a card. Buy in bulk, and it can be pretty cheap.
It's good stuff.
If you live in the US and shop at a kroger/smiths/whatever, their brand of quinoa is pretty cheap.
Look around.

>when you join a conversation without having read it first