Boxing for fitness

Anyone else do this? My gym has actual fighter teaching, so fitness classes like tabata and strength

And learning to fight sparring etc

I wanna compete
Pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127460753
tabataprotocol.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yeah, I box for fitness - my boxing gym doesn't allow beginners to spar until they get good enough, but I can confirm it's an awesome workout, albeit mainly cardio and body weight exercises. I'm not going to fight, and just do it to keep in shape (although I still take it kind of seriously)

Most American gyms will do partner workouts and drills. To get really good and compete you have good footwork and a really good coach.

Mike tyson's workout
>run 3 miles
>sprints
>15 rounds shadowboxing
>2000 sit ups
>run 3 miles with 50 pounds weights
Beastmode

PUNCH A SILVERBACK IN ITS SNOTBOX

how do i achieve ironmikemode Veeky Forums?

>mfw a vet at my gym filling in for the vacationing coach uses the word tabata and I have no idea what it means

Is it safe to run with extra weight? Isn't that bad on the knees?

Dont run with weights, cross it is stupid

Mike's coach made him run with weights so he wouldn't grow any taller

Iron mike fit isnt for anyone, his style was bob fast and hit hard.

Unless you're trying to become a boxer, mike was built for it

And yet he gassed after 5 rounds.

Looks like somebody lied.

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127460753

I sugar coated it bitch

If you want to look good, do cardio.
>mua thai
>kickboxing
>ju jitsu
If you wanna get stronger lift weights but if you wanna go hard, practise like mike on the bag
>start off with heavy weights
>perfect technique
>as it gets easier up the weight of the bag

Newbie boxer reporting in, can confirm that it's great for fitness but if you want to compete you gotta find a certified gym and coach. Also be sure to choose the right weightclass for yourself. I'm 75kg normally but I gotta get down to 69 to fight, which I hate.

That better than having to adjust to a higher class

Tabata is a Japanese doctor who developed a high-intensity interval training method originally designed for hockey players based on his observations of their physical playstyle and requirements. His method is now referred to as the "Tabata protocol" and involves extremely intense short duration bursts of anaerobic exercise followed by very small rest periods.

The textbook Tabata protocol routine is something like 20 seconds of maximum intensity hill sprints or dumbbell thrusters (as many reps as humanly possible during that 20 seconds) followed by a mere 10 seconds rest, repeated for 8 cycles, boom, you're done. The result is extremely high level EPOC (exercise post-oxygen consumption) resulting in high fat loss with very little to no muscle loss, and also an increase in VO2Max (body's ability to process oxygen).

Yeap. If i recall correctly, he came up with this idea for cyclists/skaters (can't remember which was it). Basically what he did - he put a man on the stationary bike and made him push 100% for 20sec. Then 10 rest. And repeat..
Tabata has changed over the years. You don't have to make only one exercise, you can come up with different movements - but u should focus on a large compound movement.

combat sports are excellent cardio, will get you shredded in no time, but won't give you any gains unless you weight lift alongside them.

if you just want to be fit, crossfit would be better
if you actually enjoy fighting, then boxing will defiantly keep you in top shape cardio-wise
wont do you much good with strength though.

Holy mother of summerfags

SUMMER
U
M
M
E
R

Can this technique be done with weightlifting or would it just be a waste of time?

you sound like an expert. tell me more

Yes, it can. The "protocol" part of the name means it just describes a basic structure of formatting a routine and not a specific set of exercises itself, so it can be adapted to a variety of different exercises.
There's more info at tabataprotocol.com/ or you can check google for a variety of unofficial sources (originally, information about the tabata protocol was just passed by worth of mouth until Dr Tabata realized how much people were actually using it and decided to standardize it)