/routine general/

Previous thread >chinese sekrits edition

Check out our new sticky!
>fitsticky.com/

>Novice Programs & Routine tips (Rep Ranges, Volume, Frequency, etc)
fitsticky.com/novice-programs/

>Intermediate Programs
fitsticky.com/intermediate-programs/

>How to perform the Main Lifts
fitsticky.com/how-to/

I'll be helping everyone as much as possible

Other urls found in this thread:

fitsticky.com/texas-method
youtube.com/watch?v=ZYGr_OmM-yw
fitsticky.com/novice-programs
muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout
sheiko-program.ru/forum/index.php?topic=737.0
fitsticky.com/intermediate-programs
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hG1LGKxTHftDpxgiBU135IA4ruV_iKKh-IpdyhDA5jg/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Farmer walks yes/no?

My gym has a shit bar for chinups (it's designed for pullups so it twists your wrists)

Could I just do my sets of chinups later in the day at home?

You can just do pullups. Pretty much the same shit.

Or yeah just do it home, doesn't matter.

Yes.

A1: heavy back/biceps

Deadlift 3x5
BB rows 3x8
Machine rows 3x8
BB shrugs 3x8
DB curls 3x8-12
BB curls 3x8-12
DB hammer 3x8-12

B2: light legs/shoulders

squats 3x8-12
smith squats 3x8-12
leg extensions 3x8-12
leg press 3x8-12
OHP 3x8
shoulder press 3x8-12
lat raises 3x8-12
front raises 3x8-12
upright rows 3x8-12

C1: heavy chest/triceps

bench 5x5
decline 3x8
incline dumbells 3x8
dumbell flies 3x8-12
dips 3xF (bench dips if less than 5 reps)
close grip bench 3x8-12
skullcrushers 3x8-12
pushdowns 3x8-12

A2: Light back/biceps

pullups 3xF
dumbell rows 3x8-12
machine rows 3x8-12
good mornings 3x8-12
db shrugs 3x8-12
facepulls 3x8-12
db curls 3x8-12
bb curls 3x8-12
db hammer curls 3x8-12

B1: heavy legs/shoulders

squats 5x5
stiff leg DLs 3x8
lunges 3x8-12
OHP 5x5
dumbell press 3x8
front raises 3x8-12
lat raises 3x8-12

C2: light chest/triceps

bb bench 3x8
dips 3xF
smith machine incline bench 3x8-12
flies 3x8-12 superset with pullover 3x8-12
cable flies 3x8-12
close grip bench 3x8-12
skullcrushers 3x8-12
push downs 3x8-12

Thinking of removing the Skull Crushers as there is already a lot of Tricep work. Pretty happy with the results of the routine otherwise, r8 pls trappy sempai

This might belong in a stupid questions thread, but what's your opinion on Fat Gripz and similar products?

I'm not planning on buying, but I inherited my dad's homegym which includes his fat barbell, which is maybe 3 times the thickness as an Oly barbell. At first I didn't think it to be useful, but I'm considering using it for BB shrugs, rows, and maybe deadlifts.

Is it worth my time? Or should I stick with the standard BB?

Hi Mr Keem

Opinion?

I just want to reach 2pl8 OHP.

Should I put ring dips anywhere/Are they worth doing?(Nowhere to bench)

Not sure what to do about the deadlifts. I don't care about my deadlift strength since I don't PL, I just want to use them to build a lot of size without being too taxing.

Reminder that Trappy is DYEL and you're taking advice from an under qualified Brazilian wannabe nurse.

Also SS is a meme.

>1x100 front raises

wew

I'd recommend parallel bar or front dips instead of ring dips. Easier on the shoulders and less chance of fucking it up and getting injured.

Also, Push Press.

Yes, holding on thicker bars will make your grip stronger.
But it won't allow to lift as much weight when deadlifting. So use it as accessory.

Are you on steroids?

I know education in your country is shit, but medschool is for doctors, not nurses. Different professions.

I have nowhere for either of those. Just have rings at home. Gym doesn't have them.

I can only do about 4 good ring dips. Could I just grease groove on rest days and do like 2 or 3 a few times a day?

>Are you on steroids?

no but i eat a lot, also i really don't want to not do any of those exercises (i've removed cable flies and skullcrushers) but other than that I really don't want to go without those lifts.

some questions regarding sheiko (mainly #37, #30, #32):
why is there (almost) no upper back work? should i add it in? thinking some chest supported rows after the benching and some face pulls after flyes
is it ok to do regular deadlifts instead of block pulls with ~5% less weight than prescribed if i dont have access to blocks and dont want to bend bars doing rack pulls?
what is the point of the "deadlift up to knees"? can i just do regular deadlifts instead?
how big is the deficit supposed to be on deficit deadlifts?
how the fuck do i do seated good mornings?
can i do The Press instead of french press?
are the dips supposed to be weighted?

Option 1
3x5 at 85% 1rm
Option 2
Daily max and then 5x5 at 75% 1rm

Both refer to the big 3, and 2x week

What will I progress faster with

>Ib4 sticky or trapsticky
I have read everything there is to read. But because a program says "add 2.5 kg every week" doesn't mean you'll manage it and with perfect from.
I want to finally stop spinning my wheels and get dat dere 4/3/5 plate without getting above 17% bf

My stats in as few words as possible
140/110/170 at 90 kg (68.8 strength in symmetric strength)
Assume I am eating and sleeping enough

do texas method if you keep stalling on novice programs

TM but with more bench volume? Basically I am looking for a high volume powerlifting program for intermediates (preferably linear progression). trppy plz

5x5 1x week really seems like little volume, and 1x5 is uncomfy af*. Can't I do a training max or something like 5x1 or 3x2 instead of 1x5?

*That means that i've tried TM and my form is shit in all the lifts

To be honest, push presses are gonna be a much more useful accessory for you at this point.

I wouldn't do dips everyday because the OHP is very sensitive to fatigue.

But yes ring dips are fine and useful. Just make sure to have good scapular stability when doing them, and stay safe.

The problem is not the exercise selection, it's the high frequency high volume high intensity and bad split.
You're not even giving the basic 48h of rest for each muscle group.
You're training your chest on ABC
You're training your shoulders and triceps on BC
You're training your legs on AB

It's basically a routine for enhanced bodybuilders. If you're not enhanced, you're better off doing another program.
Remember, training is merely causing damage, stress, and making you weaker. You only grow and get stronger during rest.

But this is just a suggestion, you can do whatever you want in the end.

see the example at the bottom of the page fitsticky.com/texas-method

Im doing SS, however, on each day i would like to add one accessory

for example:
tuesday incline bench 3x8
thursday snatch grip deadlift 3x8
saturday LTE 3x8

am i doing too many accessories? (these are the only accessory exercise i don except chinups)

Thanks trap-queen

You are doing more damage than good to your routine with these kind of "accessories". Ab work, chinups / other upper back work, curls etc. are ok, but you are just making it impossible to recover and be able to hit more weight in short time

Please respond

>why is there (almost) no upper back work?

Define upperback. If you mean thoracic spinal erectors and traps, there's enough work for powerlifters.
If you mean lats, there's lots of deadlifting. He does include some space for "lats accessories" in other programs (see the advanced ones).
If you feel you need to include more work, you can just do a few sets of chinups or pullups after the main stuff. Facepulls are not really needed, as those muscles are worked on the chinup/pullup, but you can do it if you want.

You gotta keep in mind that Sheiko is a program specifically for powerlifting. It's not for bodybuilding.

>is it ok to do regular deadlifts instead of block pulls

You can make a stack with plates or use those EVA blocks if the gym has them.
Alternatively, you can do a regular deadlift, then lower the bar to knee height and lockout again, for however many reps needed. Kinda like a higher RDL.

>what is the point of the "deadlift up to knees"?

Improving technique and strength, working on weakpoints, getting more volume in, and managing fatigue.

>can i just do regular deadlifts instead?

I'd recommend following the program as is at least once before customising the main lifts.

>how big is the deficit supposed to be on deficit deadlifts?

10cm or so

>how the fuck do i do seated good mornings?

youtube.com/watch?v=ZYGr_OmM-yw

>can i do The Press instead of french press?

Yes.

>are the dips supposed to be weighted?

Whatever feels comfortable for you. It's an accessory.

Looks fine to me.

>Option 1
>3x5 at 85% 1rm
>Option 2
>Daily max and then 5x5 at 75% 1rm

What frequency? How many lifts follow that pattern? What accessories are you doing? What variations are you doing? What's your progression plan?

I've got a question in regards to 5/3/1

Currently I'm down my own weird ABxABxx routine consisting of
A - 5x5 Bench, 5x5 Squat and 5x5 Dips
B - 5x5 Chin ups, 1x5 Deadlift and 5x5 OHP

I've been stalling so I decided to check out 5/3/1 but I'm now I'm just kinda of confused. I used a calculator to determine the weights to use, but it seems too light for all the lifts?

For example with my 5x5 bench I'm lifting 95kg, but the heaviest bench weight the 5/3/1 calculator gives me is 85kg x1 in the 3rd week. It seems ridiculous to deload in both volume and weight and expect results?
I tried multiple calculators and they all gave pretty much the same results. Is there something I'm unaware of?

Dude 5/3/1 is for advanced lifters, for them there is really no "light" weights (thinking about recovery) past 3pl8

Just read the whole book.

It's normal that you start "too light". It'll get heavy soon enough.
And the last set is always AMRAP.

>What frequency? How many lifts follow that pattern?
Literally one line below.
2x week, the big 3.

>What accessories are you doing?
Chinups and DB press on upper days
If I have extra time (rare) lat raises and curls on upper days
Farmers walks on lower days
>What variations are you doing?
For bench, none. I don't have a sticking point, I m just weak.
For squat, although again I am just weak, sometimes I will do a set of front squats at the end of the workout to near failure just for fun. I like moderate intensity front squats very much.
For DL, my grip is the weak point so I do farmers walks

>What's your progression plan?
Get swole and strong, casually

What's a good full body routine?

Beginner: SS, Reg parks 5x5, Arnolds golden six, Grayskulls LP

Intermediate: Texas method, Madcow 5x5

Advanced: Your own

Alternating between whatever daily max means and 5x5 at 75% will work better.
You need variations in volume and intensity to drive adaptation.
Just take a look at any intermediate program.

If you wanna try to program something for yourself from scratch, you might wanna do some research into programming theory first.

fitsticky.com/novice-programs

smolov (back squat) +
smolov jr (bench)
now how the fuck do i add ohp in there

Absolute newfuck here, and this isn't in the sticky
Is routine A/B just alternating every week?

>whatever daily max means
1x1. Your 1rm but not the true 1rm that comes after peaking for 4 or 6 weeks. It's supposed to be done 1-2 x week and be about 95% of your true 1rm.
>Alternating between daily max and 5x5 at 75% will work better.
In my post I meant daily max AND 5x5 at 75% 2x week.
Isn't the volume on TM too little?

Ok, I'll rephrase my question.

With 5/3/1 you end up doing 1 rep at 90-95% of 1RM, so if I'm currently doing 5x5 at 85-90% of my 1RM, what's the appeal of 5/3/1?

You don't want your workouts to be the exact same.
Have one more focused on volume and other more focused on heavier weights.
This will make it a LOT easier to progress.

>Isn't the volume on TM too little?

Volume day on TM is well known for being hell.
But if it's "not enough" for you, just customise it.

Week 1 AxBxAxx
Week 2 BxAxBxx
Week 3 AxBxAxx
Week 4 BxAxBxx

And so one

Are doing back extensions actually necessary when doing Texas Method? Could I sub them out with something else? If so, what would be the best exercise to swap them with?

>pretty much the same

Trappy confirmed for being a dyel who doesn't know what he's talking about

No, you don't do 1 rep. You do as many reps as you can.

Week 1:
set 1 : 5 reps
set 2 : 5 reps
set 3 : As Many Reps As Possible (AMRAP)

Week 2:
set 1 : 3 reps
set 2 : 3 reps
set 3 : AMRAP

Week 3:
set 1 : 5 reps
set 2 : 3 reps
set 3 : AMRAP

Week 4:
3x5 - deload

5/3/1 is about progression and PRs.
You will not make 1RM PRs for the first few cycles, but you will do rep PRs.
You don't go to the gym to show off strength, you go there to build strength.
You have to see the big picture and the long term gain.
It's not about what you lift right now, it's what you will be lifting in a year.

>Volume day on TM is well known for being hell
Nah
Volume day for me is a tiny bit harder than recovery day. Intensity day on the other hand is impossible to excecute.
>Customise
Ideas?

Alright makes sense, I've obviously been reading the wrong things then. Thanks mate.

Sorry, should of said are back extensions/glute ham raises necessary**

squat 5-8x2
curls 5x5
cgb 5x5
wrist rolls 2 sets

bench 5-8x2
pulldowns 5x5
farmers walks 2 sets afap

o.h. press 5-8x2
rack pull5x8-2
hanging leg raises 2x20

the doubles are done at the same weights over the weeks, increasing from 5-8 sets then deloading with 2-3x10. the 5x5 lifts are either done ramping to an almost 5 rep max, or all sets with the same weight at around 80-85%.

Give pic related a read.

You can sub them for floor pulls or anything that works your lowerback and posterior chain.
See the examples on fitsticky.com/texas-method

Use heavier weights on volume day?
Rip recommends 80-90% of the 5RM. If 80% is too light for you, go closer to 90%.
And then progress weekly on VD, just like you would with ID.

The Practical Programming (3rd ed) book has a pretty big chapter on the texas method, with lots of info on how to customise it. Give it a look.

Yes, your own image shows there's a significant difference between pulls and chins. See point 2.

Can you even do an unassisted pull up?

>significant

I don't think you understand what significant means. The difference when you rotate your forearms is minor.

The major difference is when it comes to grip width.

I'm still making beginner gains on StrongLifts, but I was looking for a program for when I reach intermediate. I know there are a bunch to choose from and it all depends on what my goals are. Which is still to make strength gains, as well as get some hypertrophy work in.

I was looking at PHUL as well as 5/3/1 and was wondering if it'd be stupid to mess with these. By having Squat and Bench together for power on one day, then Deadlift and OHP on the other. Or should I just keep the regular PHUL routine with Squat and Deadlift together, and Bench and OHP.

A: Squat Bench 5/3/1
B: Hypertrophy Upper
C: Deadlift OHP 5/3/1
D: Hypertrophy Lower

ABxCDxx

Here's a link muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

Pics related as to what fucked around with. The different rep numbers in the pic are just used as a place holder for like "8-12 reps" for now so I remember.

Hey trappy, Wondering if you could make one of those infomercial type images of the front squat someday

>Volume day on TM is well known for being hell.
But if it's "not enough" for you, just customise it.

I wonder whether it is because the whole program is known for being totally volume phobic that lazy, fat powerlifters enjoy, or because it actually is lots of volume

Hi trappy, i do chin-ups, deadlifts and OHPs but id like to add snatch grip deadlifts to increase my upper back strength, is it unnecessary to add considering i don all the aforementioned? is there a better exercise to improve upper back instead of snatch grip deadlifts?

sorry if its a weird Question

trappy, what is your opinion on the 12 week workouts on bb.com? Like the arnold ones or kris gethin ones

Currently doing the Texas method and find that on volume days that I don't really have to push myself for bench or OHP even at 90% of my max. Would it be detrimental to increase up to 92-95% for volume so long as I can still do all the reps?

I am By customise, I mean how to make ID manageable. VD will become hard because it will eventually increase in weight along with ID. My problem is I can't into ID

thanks for the response, i dont think sheiko is anything for me though
too much shit i dont feel comfortable with doing
is it a horrible idea to just do the squat, bench, and deadlift work and use my own accessories for my own weaknesses/goals? im mainly interested in increasing the big 3 but i dont actually compete

what do you call this, the trash master routine?

Yes you can customise the accessories.
Sheiko has a big writeup on this sheiko-program.ru/forum/index.php?topic=737.0

Most of the stuff I've seen on bb.com is shit
But link them?

Yes doing one for the squats is in the plans.

Define "upperback". What muscles specifically are you looking for?
Snatch deadlifts are pretty good.

What are your numbers and bw?
But the point of volume day is not to have you grinding reps. It's to do volume.

Cycle the reps on ID
There's an example on how to do it on fitsticky.com/texas-method

PHUL is awful.
5/3/1 is fine, if customised, but not the fastest program out there.

Here if you want actual good programs:
fitsticky.com/intermediate-programs

is your father proud of what you've become?

do you think you'll kill yourself before he kills himself?

>Define "upperback". What muscles specifically are you looking for?
traps and lats,

heres the arnold blueprint
>www.bodybuilding.com/fun/arnold-schwarzenegger-blueprint-trainer-main.html

ANd the kris gethin one
>www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethins-12-week-muscle-building-trainer.html

how long to rest inbetween sets (strength focus)

>Cycle the reps on ID
>There's an example on how to do it on fitsticky.com/texas-method
As I already said in my first post, i have read everything there is to read.
I am literally doing pic related and failing
3x5 squats at high intensity is impossible.
>Then deload!
I have been deloading and going back up to 125 kg 3x5 for quite a few months and would just like to get unstuck

when am i considered not a 'beginner'? ive been in the gym off and on for six years... my lifts are shit. 2 1/2 plate dl. for 5. 145 bench for 5 and 185 squat for 4ish-5.

i usually go in and do what i guess is called a bro split? back/bi. chest/tri. etc... should i stop all that bs and just go with something like reg parks 5x5?

As long as you need.
4-5min is the bare minimum
6-7min if you feel you need it
8+min if lifting heavy as fuck

ATP can take up to 4-5+min to recover enough, phosphocreatine (PCr) can take up to 8+min, and levels of lactic acid (lowers performance) can take 4-10min to clear.

Just don't overdo it to the point where you cool off.

Both look like a waste of time for natty lifters.

Have you tried this:

Cycling the Texas Method

Once you find working with your 5RM (1x5 for fullbody, 1-3x5 for splits) on the Intensity days starts getting too tough, switch to 2-3x3 (keep the same weight and same increments per week, do not jump straight up to your 3RM).
Once 2-3x3 starts getting hard to progress with, switch to 3x2 for 3 weeks, then 4x1 for 2 weeks, and then one last week doing 5x1 with 1RM attempts (at most 3 failures).
For all of these you keep the weight the same you were doing when reducing reps (don't do jumps in weight), and the increments every week are the same - except on the 5x1 with 1RM attempts, in which you try to add as much weight as possible.
After you've set your new 1RM, calculate your 5RM, deload from it a bit, and start again from the start.

Weighted Chinups/Pullups, OHP, Push Press, Snatches, and Barbell Shrugs.
Snatch DL are also good for the lats and traps, but most of the focus is on the spinal erectors, posterior chain, and grip.

Yeah my family is very supportive of my decisions and proud of my achievements.

All of the answers and more on fitsticky.com/novice-programs

>Snatch DL are also good for the lats and traps, but most of the focus is on the spinal erectors, posterior chain, and g
kk thanks.

>Both look like a waste of time for natty lifters.
thanks trappy

I tried Yates rows yesterday rather than wide-grip bb rows. I'm feeling my first proper lats DOMS today, would recommend.

>Have you tried this:
>Cycling the Texas Method
Can I at least please not do 3x5 on ID?
The regular 3 day template has you do Volume squats one day, recovery squats the next day and intensity squats the last day. Can I please do the UL split TM but like
Day 1
Volume squats
Day 4
Intensity squats (1x5, not 3x5)
Recovery squats (2x5 very light)

I really don't understand why the 3 day split calls for 1x5 but the UL calls for 3x5

I love brosplits. Might not be the most effective, but I've done U/L and PPL splits and I enjoy this the most.

No access to gym anymore, just have an adjustable dumbbell (able to put 120lbs of pl8s on it in 1.1 lb increments, so it's somewhat ok for prog. overload)
I'm doing this only to maintain what i already have
Push/pull (1st push day 3x6, 2nd push day 3x10)

DB Bench 3x6/3x10 (1st pr set on 3x6, other two are back off sets)
DB OHP 3x6/3x10
Pushups xx/3x12 (with w8 on my back so i fail around 12th rep
Front Raises 3x8/3x12
Side Raises 3x8/3x12
Tric Extension 3x8/3x12

DB Rows 6x6/6x10 (compromise due to lack of vertical pulling)
Rear Delt Rows 3x8/3x12
Db Curls 3x6/3x10
Hammer Curls 3x10/3x12

Really have no place to do chinups
I'm doing bench on a fucking chair (unilaterally) using 45kg dumbbells for heavy sets
If it means anything, i'm well into late-proficient-tier (rated by symmetipric strength)

Also i have no idea what to do for lower body, every dumbbell shit i do seems pointless and too light without barbell

Yes you can do 1x5 for intensity with backoff sets.

The 3x5 is because you're only doing one intensity lift per day.
On the regular fullbody template you're doing at least 3 different lifts for intensity in the same day, so the volume for each is lowered.

But if your problem is doing 3 sets with your max, do less sets.

When I deadlift, I feel like I have the best leverage and positioning when I tuck my chin just a little and stare at a point on the ground roughly 2 feet from the tips of my shoes. Will I hurt myself deadlifting this way? It feels comfortable.

*symmetricstrength

pls

squats, barbell curls and close grip bench on one day

bench and back work on another day
then overhead pressing and rack pulls on another day

every day either has grip or ab work

pretty self explanatory idiot

Whats the best way to train core flexibility ? I want to do advanced bodyweight exercises so I need flexibility first.

please rate:
(basically push/pull, 2 heavy days followed by 2 high rep days)
ABxCDxx

A(heavy):
squats: 3x5
weighted chins: 3x6-8
bent over row: 3x6-8
curls:3x6-8

B(heavy):
bench: 3x5
ohp: 3x6-8
weighted dips: 3x6-8
tri extension: 3x-6-8

C
same thing as A(heavy) just 10-15+ rep range

D
same thing as B(heavy) just 10-15+ rep range

progressive overload. on heavy squat/bench its usually 5 reps, then I just increase the weight.

easy some easy 15min cardio after my workout.

>Yeah my family is very supportive of my decisions and proud of my achievements.

rubbish! secretly they despise the monster you've become.

unless you come from a long line of degenerate perverts. which might be the case since you're brazilian.

How do they measure hypertrophy?

> being this insecure

Fucking sort your own life out, shit the bed you're just venting your insecurities to some random person over the Internet in the form of insults that the guy is obviously comfortable enough in himself to ignore originally, get a grip

Nice advice OP

Better question is why the graph goes to 10 sets when the measurements used only went to 5. There's no way to extrapolate to double the test number much less that the hypertrophy would lower considering the last measurement shows an increase, therefore all future assumed measurements cannot be a decline if assuming linear graphing. That of course shows that the graph is flawed since it did not have test values showing a decline at any range tested.

Thinking about starting madcow 5x5. I just have a few questions about it
1. Are fractional weights necessary, or can I just round the weight up or down?
2. Is the program AxBxAxx and then AxBxAxx or is it AxBxAxx and then BxAxBxx?
3. Can I add or change accessories, the built in accessories seem weird (I don't think 3x8 of unweighted sit ups of wednesday are gonna do much, while there are other exercises I want to include to adress some weak points)

That's what i thought too. If they just measured 5 sets and then extrapolated that from there this graph is complete shit. This is exactly what happens when people who have no idea use the excel trend line function and just use the one line that fits all the points.

da fuck is wrong with you?

Noob question, for how long should i do SS?

until you cant anymore
you need 1.25 kg plates imo

My gym has 1.25 kg plates, it's just that madcow calls for 0.5 kg and 1 kg plates, which I would then have to purchase.

until i can't lift any heavier?

oh, i had a template that only used 1.25 kg plates
worked for me but ymmv
yeah

Halp

Which template? I'm using the one on strengthstandards.co

i think i got it from stronglifts or something like that
probably going to work better if you have smaller plates though

Until you're no longer progressing on your lifts.

I took a few weeks off from lifting and I have no routine. I have been lifting for about 1 year and my lifts are still bad. Please help.

Back Squat: 230 lbs
Deadlift: 275 lbs
Bench Press: 225 lbs
Overhead Press: 120 lbs

Your bench is way too high compared to the other lifts. Post form check videos.

easy there shakespeare

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hG1LGKxTHftDpxgiBU135IA4ruV_iKKh-IpdyhDA5jg/edit?usp=sharing
Go down on the first sheet

>da fuck is wrong with you?

your taking lifting advice from a mentally ill, sick perverted 100lb brazilian tranny....

...and your'e asking what's up with me?? LOL!

this

guys stop white knighting that mentally ill man.
also why the fuck should anyone take advice from someone who cant even dl 2pl8's.