Lower back pain during squats

I've finally progressed into heavy squat territory, for my bodyweight anyways, 210lbs 5x5 at 150. But now every time I have the bar on my back, and throughout the rest of the movement, my lower back hurts like a bitch on the side as well as at the top of my tailbone. Almost feels like my back is compressing from the weight. At first I thought I was just being a bitch and tried to suck it up and deal with it, but now it's seriously hindering my progress. Pic attached is where the pain is, any suggestions? I was about to make it to 225 but now this shit comes up :(

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/G2SShYJWrCU
youtu.be/t5EpWE50o1M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Post a video

I had the same problem, I found that i wasn't flexing my abs/keeping a tight core, and because of that I was putting to much pressure on my back

i have the video file, should i post on imgur or...? sorry newfag

You can upload it to a webm site or an unlisted youtube video

this is at 195 when the pain started
youtu.be/G2SShYJWrCU
youtu.be/t5EpWE50o1M

Have you deloaded? Are you doing other lifts that stress your lower back often? I found that sqats +power cleans twice a week was a bit much for my back.

Your form looks fine, or at least I don't see any lumbar flexion.

Learn to breath down instead of up: take a deep breath without your upper chest moving and brace your core like you're about to get punched in the gut. Then squat while maintaining that tightness.

Just doing stronglifts 5x5, so rows and deadlifts are the only other exercises that I feel in my back. I'll try deloading, I was able to do 215 5x5 last night but form wasn't great so maybe revisiting lower weights will help my back catch up.

Is your high relevant as well? I squat 110 kg and I'm only 55 kg.

With a squat at double your body weight and according to strengthstandards.co, you're an advanced lifter...I just broke into intermediate lifter category, this weight is pretty heavy by my standards and I am happy to be in the intermediate category now. I'm 5'11 or 180cm.

I'm 172 cm, I got to from 35 kg to 100 kg squat in 4 months. But recently my lower back pains have got worse, so I've dropped the weight a bit and trying to improve my squat.

you might be hyperextending your back.
try to keep your back neutral by keeping your ribcage down

DYEL?

squatting too low, go just below parallel

How's your deadlift compared to your squat? You may just have a strong back and weak legs so your back is taking most of the weight. I ahd the same pain, I was squatting lmao2pl8 for reps but my back was hurting, but deadlifting lmao 3 plates for reps.
I started doing front squats (225 for reps, atg), and now my back squats are better, 265 for reps and no back pain.

you are not keeping your chest up and out and you're bringing up your hips and leaning forward
Maybe try less weight so you can do it with better form and you don't wind up with a muscle strain in your lower back and unable to lift for 2 weeks. Don't ever ignore pain dude.

Drop weight slightly and practice until u find a technique that works for you. By this stage ull know the general rules of good form. This is the part where u learn to apply them to yourself, which can only really be done thru trial and error.

your spinal erectors are too weak to handle the weight in the squat get your deadlift up and get your hamstrings stronger that should fix it.

I had pain from squats in the exact same spot OP.

I'm not sure if it's for the same reasons and I can't really tell from the video but for me it was because I was hyper extending my back throughout the movement. At the time I thought that hyperextending my back was actually me making my back straight but it really wasn't necessary and it was compounded by tight hip flexors and a weak core giving me an anterior pelvic tilt.

Like I said, i'm not sure if you have any of those things, but if you do my advice for you would be to deload, work on your core and stretching your hip flexors, and refraining from hyperextending your back when squatting. I stupidly just continued to squat with the pain and now it's chronic and will probably never go away.

Have pain in the exact same place. I did heavy deadlifts and next day i had a lot of pain and reduced mobility.

However after 2 days i had normal mobility, but i feel a mild pain every time i press that spot on my lower back. I have been able to train tho, did heavy bench press (3x5 with 315), back and shoulders with no problems. I'm just not gonna do deadlifts and squats.

May i unknowingly be in snap city? Or should i just restrain myself from some heavy lower back work for a few weeks?

Brace ur fucking core when coming back up, get a belt if u really need it

sorry for late ass reply, my deadlift is only 20 lbs (~9 kg) higher than my squat. i never feel confident on deadlift form so i always reset cuz im a bitch, maybe thats something to consider??? and bitch yeah i lift im proud af to be an intemediate lifter #nohate

i appreciate all the good advice given so far though, most responses i've ever gotten on a shitty Veeky Forums post, ty pham

You're buttwinking. It's not severe lumbar flexion, but your pelvis is definitely rounding underneath you. You'll need to work much harder to keep your chest up and your abs and lower back flexed.

It might legitimately help to get a pair of oly shoes to squat in. They can help a tremendous amount with staying more upright in the squat, which can help get you lower without buttwink or flexion. I know a lot of idiots call them a crutch, but fuck that shit. People don't realize how much the structure of their hips affects the depth of their squat, and throwing something under your heels isn't going to make you less of a lifter.

There's some minor flexion, if you look at the second video, right as he passes under parallel. Though bracing correctly would help a bit and its good advice either way.

Look at the video he posted, definitely not hyperextension.

Shitty response. Doesn't address what the actual problem is. Might as well tell him to not squat.

Thanks man. yeah, i squat below parallel because my knees were hurting when i only went to parallel...and I've been waiting for a good deal to come on weightlifting shoes, but I'm definitely considering getting a pair ASAP.