Why aren't we pronouncing his name as "Kai-sar" instead of the made up and incorrect "Sea-sar" ?

Why aren't we pronouncing his name as "Kai-sar" instead of the made up and incorrect "Sea-sar" ?

Imagine if you travelled 2,000 years in the future, and insisted some bastardization of your name was correct instead of what you were actually called in your lifetime.

It's SHAH-EE-ZAR-AY

No one says it's correcct, we Italian say Cesare, which would you read as ChasArEH!

its really pronounced as TRA-PSARE-NTGAY

The soft church latin pronounciation is just so well established. For some names the correct pronounciation just sounds stupid.
Kikero....

KIKEROOOOOO

This.

I mean, imagine the guy saying "wenee weedee weekee" it just sounds ridiculous.

I pronounce it Ka-eh-sar, not "Kai-sar", like it was actually pronounced, barbarian.
Fuck off with that "Seasar" bullshit.

Not all of us are bongs and burgers m8

>KIKEROOOOOO

Is that how you're supposed to say Cicero?

yep. C`s are read as K.

ЦAPЬ ГAЮC ЖУЛИУC.

It does makes me wonder about the name of certain cities.

Zaragosa is bastardized from Caesaragusuta, but how did the C become a Z if it's supposed to be pronounced like K?

Zaragoza is pronounced Sarahosa.

Christianized transcription of an Arabized transcription of a Latin name.
Similar to the theory: "Matrix" > "Majerit/Majrit" > "Madrid"

Yeshua gets mangled to become Jesus. If it was a straight anglicziation from the original, it would be Joshua.

That's the point of my question. Names may change their spelling but their pronunciation is roughly the same. This is not the case here with Zaragosa and Caesaraugusta.

To compare, cities in the east like Ancyra became Ankara and Caesaria became Kayseri.

Meant forHopefully this time I won't fuck it up again, Goddamnit
That's what I meant, I just fucked up the reply twice like a retard.

It is important to know that vulgar latin is different than classical latin. Romance languages originated from vulgar latin.

>Sarahosa.
False.

t. Mexican

I'm getting the impression from this thread that some Romeboos want Rome to have been this distant, grand, lofty thing and are disappointed at ways in which they actually resembled modern Italians.
Well, such are the perils of being anything-boo.

You wrote the MEXICAN pronuntiation, amerifat.
It's "Tharagotha".

More like buttblasted Anglos are mad that Romans didn't use English pronunciation

Reminds me of that graffiti that told about how Romans were misspelling or mispronouncing words. Tried searching for it but all I'm getting is the clip from Life of Brian

Jesus Christ

Have you tried searching CIL?

Graffiti is great because it gives us a more uncensored view of spelling and social views. Education wasn't great, so people spelled things phonetically and often missing letters.

because french

because C becoming Z is part of the "bastardization"?

Pronunciation. See here

I don't understand

How do you pronounce Zaragosa?

[θaɾaˈɣoθa]

And how would one spell Caesaraugusta in proper Latin?

Caesaraugusta

AKIRAAAAAHHH