I'm in college and learning to cook on my own and could definitely use some advice...

I'm in college and learning to cook on my own and could definitely use some advice. I'm eating healthy and decided to make chicken breasts. I've always hated them growing up though, very dry, tasteless, bland, and more dry.

Nonetheless, I decided to try and make something good. I marinated some breasts in lemon and lime for a day. I cooked them on a skillet and put pepper on both sides. I squeezed all the lemon and lime juice into them. A small amount of salt. TB of olive oil. And just a hint of Chipotle.

And holy shit it was actually really fucking good. Like I genuinely enjoyed the chicken. It was INCREDIBLY juicy. Here's the thing though, I like medium rare steak where it's a little bloody. I realized I needed something kind of like that for chicken. I cooked it to where it was white, and then just a little bit of a pinkish white in the middle. That's fine right?

How do you guys make delicious chicken or other "healthy" meals. Any tips on improving my recipe? Am I going to get salmonella and die?

> I cooked it to where it was white, and then just a little bit of a pinkish white in the middle.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK don't do that shit man.

chicken doesnt work that way dude, cook it until its all white

hahaha holy shit please don't leave your chicken raw in the center for your own health's sake

Did I fuck up? I ate 2 of them. So you can't eat it even a little medium rare? I can't stand dry chicken.

Chicken is NOT beef. Dont do that.

Too late. Good to know for the future though.

>you have to eat your meat rare otherwise you're not manly!!! xD

When will this reddit meme end?

it's very easy
1. for each kilo of meat, make one liter of 5% salt solution
2. brine the chicken for at least 6 hours
3. buy a cooking thermometer (the thermapen is top tier)
4. cook any way, until temperature inside hits 60 degrees C

it will be more juicy than Stacey's pussy

captcha: select all juice

Honestly it just tastes way better. Well cooked stake tastes like shit whereas when a little bloody it's like a foodgasm in your mouth.

oh and when it hits 60 degrees is 100% safe to eat. but you need a good thermometer.

>medium rare

What the fuck dude have you ever heard of anyone use that word in the context of a chicken? If you can't stand dry chicken, add some vegetables to it. Personally, I like to cut chicken breast into 1 inch cubes, fry 'em up and then add some broccoli at the end when it starts to look nice and red on the outside.

Or you can just cook it in a pan with a lid. The steam/moisture is retained more and it will be cooked all the way through without being dry.

try wrapping them tightly in foil and baking them in the oven next time, so your marinade treatment will get the full effect.

but like the others said, cook it till its all white. you don't fuck around with bloody chicken nowadays.

What's the worst that could happen? Some of it was pretty pink.

Eating chicken with pink in the middle is honestly fine if you live in a first world country.

Basically don't do it if you live in a grey country or next to a grey country where chicken might be imported from.

Same with pork. It's dangerous to eat it rare because of trichinella, but really it's no problem if you don't live in India or some shit.

Really though, you can have a juicy chicken that is cooked all the way through. If you just time it right there should be no difference in taste from when it just became white from when it was slightly pink. Might as well.

you'll be fine, the chickens are fed antibiotics so salmonella is quite rare
next time make sure it hit the proper temperature inside

you get pretty bad diarrhoea for two weeks. But chances are low.

>chicken
>very dry, tasteless, bland and more dry

In other words, mommy can't cook

It's all about timing it right.

If you wait too long it'll be too dry.

I use a George Foreman grill and I found the perfect time is around 13 minutes

> eat chicken because of low fat
> complain it's too dry
Of course! What did you expect?

If it's too dry for, make a sauce with it.

>le chicken is the only protein
>how to spot a dyel

ever heard of seafood? pork chops/pork loins? lamb? non-25% fat beef? turkey? chicken parts that are NOT the breast?

like holy shit.

Nah a tiny bit of pink is ok if the chicken is good and hes not a 3rd world malnourished african kid.
Ideally though, it would be cooked JUST after it stops being pink

This. It really fucked me up getting older. I was 6'4 130 growing up and my parents just preached that it was my magical metabolism and there wasn't anything I could do. I was always hungry but I was told to stop complaining, people in Africa are starving, etc etc. Basically I grew up with shitty food and a shitty diet. I never got sweets, and I had a bowl of spinach with every meal. I ended up buying my own food (they didn't like that), and working out a lot, my parents complain that I eat too much. I was 130 and now in a healthy dyel 200.

Tldr: fuck the food I was given growing up

Relatively speakinh chicken breasts are dry is you dont prepare them beforehand due to less fat content and ease of overcooking.

You can't cook if you overcook

I'm new to cooking. I'm in college and had dorm food for a while. Now that I have am apartment I'm making my own meals.

>meat
>healthy