Swimming

So I can now swim a continuous mile, but I feel lost without some kind of structured training.

Where do I go from here?

Swimming general I guess

Other urls found in this thread:

ruthkazez.com/swimming/ZeroTo1mile.html).
twitter.com/AnonBabble

swim with an elevated training mask to simulate swimming on a mountain

Quality shitposting.

What is your goal? Why do you swim? Cardio, weight-loss or do you actually want to get better at swimming?

Initially it was weight-loss and cardio, I feel like I need to lose a little more weight, but I'm getting to the point where I'll just get skelly if I lose too much more.

Cardio is still a goal, but actually improving my swimming is something I'd like to work on now as well.

So I guess I was going Cardio/Weight, but now I'm looking more towards Cardio/Swimman

Will have to start lifting again before I start losing too much muscle. I love swimming so far, but I'm getting that bit too skinny for my liking

If the latter, what is your situation? Do you have access to additional equipment? Do you have a training partner? Where do you swim (length of the track, depth, water temperature, usual number of people on your track)?

>Will have to start lifting again before I start losing too much muscle. I love swimming so far, but I'm getting that bit too skinny for my liking

You can do both, if you're smart about. Also eat more! As for training advice, answer this and tell me a little bit about your usual training, how long have you been swimming, who thought you, how would you judge your from compared to other people?

We get access to a gym for free with work, they have a 15m swimming pool (so 100 lengths of that being a continuous mile).

Not sure about depth or temperature, but it's definitely cooler than the pools you get in hotels, which tend to be quite hot by comparison.

3 lanes in the pool, so you get six people max (2 to a lane). Amount of people varies, could be 6 people or 0 depending on the day. No training partner, doing it solo.

I think they have the foam boards and that kind of thing there, but it depends what kind of equipment you mean I guess.

You can do this:

500 m continuous freestyle
Then tread water for 15 mins , put some rest periods in, try to only do eggbeater kick with hands out
Then do 8 50 m freestyles with 10 sec rest periods in between, go fast but not 100%
Then do 100 m kickboard
Then do 5x100 freestyle with 10 sec rest in beteween
Then another 100 m kickboard
Then do freestyle/breaststroke with hand paddles(don't know how you call these in english kek)
Then do 200 m breastroke backstroke to chill out
Get out of the pool and do 150 pushups and some ab work
Strech and go home

15 m pool? I thought they only came in 25 or 50 m variations

No, it's called short-track and they even have championships. I used to swim in my high-school team and the coach wanted me to compete. I found it sucked.

>And tell me a little bit about your usual training, how long have you been swimming, who thought you, how would you judge your from compared to other people?

Swam a lot as a kid, never competitively, but more than enough that I'm very comfortable in the water.

Did the 6-week 0 to 1650 program (ruthkazez.com/swimming/ZeroTo1mile.html). Started that 10 weeks ago, then was abroad for two weeks, and have just done continuous miles 2-3 times a week for the past two weeks, but it's getting intensely boring at this point.

Form is pretty mediocre, as the guide suggested, I was focusing more on getting the distance and worrying about form later. I'm watching videos to try and improve it though.

So currently my usual training is 1500m crawl, but I'm aware the advantages of that are pretty limited, so I'd like to mix it up a bit.

You and me both m8

Actually a very nice pool though, very clean, and there's a sauna next to it

Short-track/short-course is 25m, not 15.

Are you absolute certain that it's 15 m? Might wanna check again, it's probably 25 m, 15 is way too short, a high class swimmer wouldn't even have time to do 3 strokes before having to flip

Okay not a native speaker, just translated it directly. In German it's called "Kurzbahn". And yes, it is a thing in swimming competitions.

Okay, so you have the basic endurance. If you're really serious, you'll need to watch your technique. I would recommend you somehow get a coach. If you can't film yourself on occasion or ask somebody to do it ever few sessions. Then work on your form.

As for general training advice:
- Start doing butterfly (mostly for the fly kicks and general roundedness)
- Learn how to do flip-turns and to them regularly with fly-kicks under warter and watch your hand and head position under water
- In freestyle mix up your breathing technique, breathing on both sides, breathing on every 3,4,5,6 stroke etc.
- Do HIT training. Short sprints, then a little bit more relaxes for a few turns
- Work and your footwork with a foam board
- There is so much you can do, and it all depends on where you're lacking, so watch yourself or have someone watch you.

Yeah I've checked. It's a gym for a residential area, just happens to have a pool, so while people do use it for cardio, it may not have been designed with that in mind

Currently doing it in 7 strokes minimum, so I have a long way to go

Sounds like a good place to start, cheers m8

I tend to do well with structured programs in my experience, anything like that for post-1mile in swimming, or is it more about speed and technique at that point?

It's generally hard to give you a structured program, without having seen you swim.

Usually after people have worked up to basic endurance, you start alternate HIT days with technique days (for people who have time constrains). Since you are on a very short track, the most import technique part is the turn. That means flip-turn with butterfly kicks for freestyle. Since that requires some tolerance for oxygen-deprivation, I'd throw in breathing and foot work. But that is knowing next to nothing about your performance.

That makes sense, I think alternating HIT and technique days would be a good way to go about it.

Butterfly was one it never learned much as a kid, but I'll see what I can do, I'd love to learn it, seems like a great workout.

The Ruth Kazez program puts a bit of a focus on oxegen tolerance, but I have yet to test that with HIT, so that'll be interesting.

Kek, it's been hot for a while here so was wearing shorts until today. Put on a pair of jeans I bought before swim, they're way looser now. Good sign, but I'll need to keep it in check.

Think I'll try something like 30m on, 30m off to start with for HIT and work from there, if that makes sense. Or 15m on, 30m off to get into it

Make sure to warm up properly, don't overdo it at first, and you'll see should see large improvements in endurance after a few sessions. Off should be at least double what you swam with high speed.

Actually, that's a good question, what constitutes a good warmup for swimming?

100m slow-ish freestyle?

How old are you? If you are high school or college age you can join USSA (United states swimming association) and compete. There are also teams for older people