Does lifting low reps (strength) build muscle as well as power...

Does lifting low reps (strength) build muscle as well as power? I want to be aesthetic but I want to jump high as fuck for basketball. Watching Kali Muscle do do 100 rep calf raises aint finna do shit bruh

Other urls found in this thread:

fitsticky.com/novice-programs
m.youtube.com/watch?v=xTDapcklnV8
m.youtube.com/watch?v=bRevyyFM82w
msuathletics.ru/books/bible/vert_jump_bible.pdf
youtu.be/dBYD7EvzTvM
dunkcalculator.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

you can't jump high as fuck unless you were born explosive. unlike strength, explosiveness can't be improved to any significant degree.

use fucked up, I got inches on my vertical jump since I started heavy squats, but my legs look about the same.

you can improve it a bit, but a medicore jumper will never be a great jumper. 20-25% increase is about the best you can hope for.

Listen close kids, these are the words of a failure

I don't understand? it's saying rep range don't matter for building muscle?

Apart from heavy back squats, what exercises will help achieve a big vertical? What about plyo stuff?

Yep.

See the "Routine tips" section on fitsticky.com/novice-programs for more info

It's been pretty much confirmed through some decent studies that a combination of squatting and plyo is the best for increasing the jump.
Just don't go crazy with the plyo, be mindful of your knees.

Do explosive lifts such as power cleans, hang cleans, push jerk, and jump squats. Use low to mid rep ranges so for example 5x3 with heavy weight.

I read a book saying, that athletes who did just plyo or heavy lifting only got a 3-4% increase in their vertical in a short period of time, but those that combined the two got a 10% increase in their vertical jump in said amount of time.

Deadlifts as well

First of all, to lift for power you need to lift quickly, with high weight and, naturally, low reps.

Secondaly, if you are asking whether you can build for both mass and power- I doubt it. There is no reason why a muscle designed for explosive movement would be bulky. It would grow in mass at the slowest rate of the whole body.

Have you ever seen someone with small legs squatting a lot?

I'm 5'11 white and can dunk a basketball here's what I do:

Power cleans
Squats
Leg Press
Box Jump
Box Squat
Jump Squat (you don't have to go heavy for these)
Jump rope
Planks + Ab Wheel

Learn proper jump form (depending on if you're two footed or one)
Being well conditioned and quick helps too.

no love for the deadlift bruh?

Yes.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=xTDapcklnV8
m.youtube.com/watch?v=bRevyyFM82w

Training higher rep is only useful for getting more total volume

Whoops, yea deadlift too!

msuathletics.ru/books/bible/vert_jump_bible.pdf

Explosivity can be trained, even if fast twitch fiber content is genetic.

Plyometrics exist, mang

Also streng training reduces explosivity, so if you do slow, controlled reps, you would benefit immensely from training your explosivity (when you bench, your biceps brace against your tricep, slowing the extension of the arm down, and giving the triceps a more stable base to push off. Somyour bicep is trained to reduce the explosivity of arm extension. This motor pattern can be reversed/eliminated with ballistics and upper body plyo)

I want to _ that man

Don't talk about stuff you don't know.

Fast-twitch muscle fibres have over 70%+ more potential and speed of growth than slow-twitch fibres.

Plenty of studies have shown that rep ranges don't matter much for hypertrophy (at least when comparing low and moderate rep ranges). Training for power and explosiveness is not just training light and fast. Training very heavy and "slow" will also make you faster and more explosive.
The important part is simply trying to do the concentric part of the lifts as fast as possible. The actual speed doesn't matter, it's all about the intent and effort. Heavy weights will naturally move slower, but as long as you're trying to move them as fast as you can you'll be increasing your power and speed.
Speed of the eccentric doesn't matter at all.

You can dunk on a proper basket at 5'11"? That's insane

>The important part is simply trying to do the concentric part of the lifts as fast as possible. The actual speed doesn't matter, it's all about the intent and effort.
That's what I was saying. I don't know why you would even think of interpreting that as meaning absolute speed rather than relative speed.

What plyo stuff would you recommend and for how many set/reps? And I should do them at the end of leg days (twice a week), right?

>jump squats
How? With weight? And if so, with a barbell or with dumbbells?
And why box squats?

Trappy I posted in routine but you left! Can you please check my form?
youtu.be/dBYD7EvzTvM

bump

I've been training for it for a good few years, because i'm not a super gifted jumper(or black).

My standing reach is 7'6, rim is 10', to touch rim I needed a 30" vertical, to dunk about 36". Took about 2 years of work to get to the right body fat, the right amount of strength and jumping technique to pull it off.

You can use this to help gauge the numbers you need

dunkcalculator.com/

I use barbells, you could probably use dumbbells too but it may be a little awkward.

Like a squat except you explode when you rise. Depends on your knees, this exercise can be joint taxing so do it at your own risk. You don't have to go heavy, maybe 1/3 your squat 1rm.

Box squats limit your range of motion depending on the height of the box; I set up the box height to replicate an actual two footed jump so I strengthen what i'm using specific to that angle. You may be able to go heavier on your box squats than your regular squat too.

thanks m8. What did you do with regards to your plyo during that time? Only box jumps? How many sets/reps?
Also, what's your wingspan? Your arms look pretty long.

I did an assortment of plyometrics over the years but the ones that I used most were: box jumps, pistol squat jump and lunge jumps(in that order). For plyo I just went to failure each time. 5xF. My wingspan is 6'1, a bit longer than my height.

Hope you pull off a dunk soon, it's a very satisfying and addicting feat.

Thanks m8. One last question, how many times a week did you train legs/plyo?

bump

Twice a week, space them away from each other. Say Monday and Thursday.

When you want to get your max vert stop lower body resistance training for a week, let everything heal up.

he can jump a fence literally

Actual good form on jumps unlike the instagram "omg jump so high" faggots

Jesus it's retarded how many people think they jump high when in reality their actual vertical is shit.

Goal body desu.
Im same height but what your weight?

Nope, the power just comes from like this forcefield that surrounds your body and lifts the weights for you

Thanks man, 183lbs.

What if I play ball twice a week and train legs twice a week? How to space them?

Cool, Im planning on spending the next year bulking from 188 to 205 and then cutting to 185. Hopefully I end up looking similar to this.

See that can be a bit difficult. I had the same issue, I wanted to play ball twice a week but lifting heavy was quite taxing and would affect the intensity of my play.

It depends from person to person, some people will be able to lift heavy twice a week and be able to play twice a week with no issues, see what works for you.

If you're like me and have issues reduce the weight/volume. (though this may not be optimal for vert/power/explosiveness whatever)

Good luck man, you can do it.

True. I'll have to see about my schedule. Maybe I'll fit in upper body before ball and do my heavy lower day in the weekend so I have sufficient rest before practice.
Thanks for all the help man, really appreciated.

Front squats, jump squats, push press

Best of luck man and no problem.

>Being this obsessed with an internet tranny