Herniated Disc

Hey Veeky Forums

MRI 2 months ago shows I have a herniated disc at L5-S1. I have been going to physical therapy and it is really helping with the muscle imbalances (excessive lordosis and very slight scoliosis), but they aren't interested in helping me lift besides telling me to strengthen my core and do the leg machines (I have been doing both of these).

Have any of you guys dealt with this before? I'm not sure what I should do. Surgeon told me lifting heavy weights is out of the question for the rest of my life, but also told me I am too lanky and need to get stronger. So I have no idea what kind of routine I should be doing. I'm guessing deadlifts and normal squats are out of the question.

TL;DR: herniated disc, how do I strengthen back?

Any tips are appreciated

No idea about a herniated disc, but I did get my hernia fixed 7 days ago. Sucks user.

If you fucked up a disc don't worry about lifting for a while.. Take it slow and let that heal, your back is not something you want to Fuck up user.

Best way to strengthen your back is not to fuck it up anymore.

There are plenty of other ways to stay aesthetic; bouldering, sprinting, polymer rica, etc.

You're right, I am probably being overzealous. My lower back muscles are just so weak that I keep thinking I need to do something about it right away.

I'll look in to other stuff, thanks

Yeah, don't go in too quickly. Snapped up my back, thought it was good after a week, so I went straight into deadlifiting again... It's been three months and I think I'm finally ready to work my lower body again.

you can;t do any of these properly with a fucked up back though

Are you going to be making any specific changes?

Same story here, op. I herniated most disks in my upper back as well as a compression fracture from a motorcyle crash.
What do you expect anyone to tell you? I just lurk here and am jealous of Chads

I can't tell the difference between a disc injury and tight hamstrings, but my lower back hurts like shit when I slouch or stretch and I can't squat heavy

Maybe back extensions? With high volume?

You'd know the difference. Low back pain causes some really fucked spasms that feel like someone stabbed you with a hot knife.

Tight hammies are just that and will make your liw back feel a bit tight/sore but not in the same way as a ruptured disc.

Just going to go in light and increase weight slowly. I'm going to test the waters today and see how I go squatting. Might lay of deadlifts a bit longer and just go for some back extensions.

Fucking herniations never heal. You'll be in nerve pain the rest of your life.

>Herniated disc
>Healing
I got bad news for you

I'm lucky and I don't have any leg pain. In fact, I am pain-free most days and if it does flare up, it is centralized to the back/top of glutes.

Both the surgeon and the PT said it is as minor as a herniation can be, which is why I am hoping I will be able to at least lift again

>minor herniations
I have 2 minor bulging discs and a perforated disc
Been in constant pain for 9 months.
GG senpai

I had back pain that finally disappeared, but now, what I can only assume is my piriformis, hurts when I bend over. Doctor did not want to send me in for a scan. What is this garbage?

That is why I used "minor" in a relative sense.
It all depends on how badly it is affecting a nerve or not. My MRI also showed two other discs bulging, but they are not affecting any nerves.

What have you tried to do for the pain? Did you get epidurals?

I've had steroid injections, did physical therapy for 6w.

Make sure you keep an eye on it. I came in twice for back pain over a 3 month period and my doctor just fed me muscle relaxants and talked about her back pain the whole time.

It got worse and worse so I finally went somewhere else and got the MRI ordered.

How'd you herniate your shit?

Did the injections give any relief at all? The surgeon wouldn't give me one

Well, I had really bad muscle imbalances which caused my lower back to have to work extra hard.

Every day at work I would have to throw food waste away in those industrial-sized trash bags. I had really bad form and after a few months my disc gave out.

Honestly, I should have seen it coming.

Hurt my back with shit deadlift form a month ago.
Havent gone to doctor because i was brought up by super japanese "just work through it" dad

I have Zero back pain.
Just get really tight legs and they get sore when i sit down for an hour.
But when i work out all my pain and tightness goes away.
Think i have herniated disk or just super tight legs?

Also 6'5" 240lbs dunno if its relevant but im a big guy

Hey mate i'm in the same boat as you, did my back 2 years ago. I can't do squats and deadlifts but there are other ways to stay strong. I do most of my training seated or on machines. Legs is the only muscle part that I struggle with. My workout comprises of single leg leg press, leg extension and hamstring curl. I also to lunges holding a kettle bell overhead with one hand. The aim of doing this is to still create growth using time under tension and strengthening core and glute strength. Main thing is to stay positive and just find what works for you.