Warrior Mode (new improved cocoon mode)

>daily training focusing on cardiovascular performance, endurance and agility.
>daily readings from the great literary works of our time.
>the accumulation of wealth through work and the banishment of superfluous spending.
>mind and body must be trained to excellence.

I would do this if there were a reason to in this age

>Thinking reading great literary works will do shit for intelligence
Good conversation topics though

It's like you don't even want to become an anime character.

People did this in history because God and country were unquestionable. They could be safe in their zealousness and the rewards they felt would come later helped them push through temptation.

Any reason why you're doing this? Don't just say "To better myself". Humans tend to give up if there's no reward/gain or a threat of annihilation. So what's the reason to better yourself this way?

Autism Mode

some old timey philospohical shit can change your views on the world though

Litaral bullshit. I been lifting to "better myself" for 2 years. Sorry you need the attention of others to judge your shitty physique faggot.

forget the literary works and focus on honing practical skills

and fucking meditate

Makes you more interesting in conversation and helps you understand references in literature and other media.

But for what purpose? To "Better myself" is not a fucking reason. It means nothing. It's a blanket term for other reasons. You're either doing it for girls, a philosophy that you feel will make you happier or to get stronger. Unless your saying it meaning something else it means jack shit.

I just wanna be strong and feel healthy instead of tired senpai

Those are good reasons.

>he thinks talking about literature makes for good conversation

this is why you have no friends

outside of academia no one wants to talk about literature, or even really use their brains when conversing

>he thinks he'll be mid 20s his whole life

This. Veeky Forums has a fucked up sense of self improvement. If they're talking about social gains almost no one gives a shit about classic literature, or at least to the point of having a discussion about it. Improving socially should be finding a common hobby with other people for topics, developing a sense of humour through experimentation and making a true effort to connect to the other person. No amount of reading from a book will make them suave.

Working out, reading classics and studying something (All while miserable most likely) is good in the long run, but before all of that they should focus on appreciating life, finding their values and a purpose. No amount of improvement or effort is going to make someone happy if they're always asking "What's the point".

yes i read and meditate for girls thank you.

I was stupid like you when I was a teenager. I thought being smart and learning things would make people like me. Pro tip, it really doesn't. "Intellectuals" mostly hate themselves. Social people just shoot the shit, they mostly don't talk about anything serious unless it's really necessary. Socializing is supposed to be fun, not mentally draining. People will actually resent you if you force them to think when they just want to relax and have fun.

that's fucking retarded

This only makes sense if you're aiming to be a professional fighter. What's the point of doing shit like this if you work in an office?

I've chosen the path of Monk Mode. It's similar to Warrior Mode, but some key differences:

>daily meditation in addition to training and reading
>transcending the desire for material things (money and possessions)
>living minimalistically (owning only a few essential items, leaving nothing to tie you down physically or emotionally)

I think Warrior Mode and Monk Mode are both respectable paths to follow cocoon mode.

Some of us are social autists and want to find value in life through other means than validation from others and social interaction.

pick up martial arts

>Some of us are social autists and want to find value in life through other means than validation from others and social interaction.
why not just spend that energy learning how to talk to people? That's what I'm doing. It gets easier man, don't put yourself in a box you can't get out of

"To better myself" is abso-fucking-lutely a reason. It's an all-encompassing term for sure - that's the point.

E.g. I started lifting for girls. When I noticed that I became more confident with myself, had more energy, developed more of an alpha-type mindset, enjoyed lifting successively heavier weights, had more strength in day to day life, etc. the reason switched from girls to "just to be better".

So yeah, it's all encompassing - it has to be. "To better myself" literally means "I know it's going to improve at least one facet of my life, although I'm not sure just how many aspects of my life it will improve, so let's find out".

Bigger picture, man. There's more to life than just the immediate visible reward of an action.

> not being zealous for Kek

fucking atheist

Nobody gives a shit about classic literature, which is why someone can be all the more interesting and intelligent for reading it.

Think about it.

You have 95% of the population that goes through daily life keeping up with the Kardashians or whatever issue du jour is going on. Then you have 5% that is constantly reading from classical authors, in addition to having an understanding of what's going on right now.

Guess which of these two groups will have more to talk about? More ways to talk about things? More ways to think about things? Which group will be more exposed to brilliant ideas that history has forgotten? Which group will, ultimately, cultivate a sense of humour, storytelling, creating atmosphere, by reading from hundreds of authors? Are those not part of socialization?

Not to disregard your point. Yeah, socialization basics are a necessity, but this takes it to next level.

have always wanted to live that spartan life.
>live with only essentials like having a couple of t shirts instead of 20
>train every day, when not training be doing something productive such as cleaning. meditating or reading.
>have that mind set that you're ready to die in battle for your brothers.

Ever since i was a kid i wanted to be a SASR soldier basically. do special forces shit. be knocking down doors in the middle east.

My plan is to

>Join a boxing gym for general cardio, speed and strength straining
>Start running, working up to run long distances because I have terrible stamina, the boxing will also help with that
>Get any job and don't spend anything on excess superfluous desires until I can afford to make my own computer
>Meditate
>Read
>alternatevely I want to leave behind the conforts of modern life and attempt to survive in the wild as a rite of passage of sorts

Reading is 100% for fags, you're supposed to shitpost IRL with your bros

t. Socrates, destroyer of boipvssy

>Guess which of these two groups will have more to talk about?

The person who knows more about kardashians and basketball will have more to talk about in 95% of occasions.
I'm just being realistic.

>work until i can afford a computer

so after your first pay check lol?

A gaming computer

Still not expensive unless you're fucking retarded and buy ricer hardware.

so after the first paycheck?

I built my new rig in November and it only cost me 1200 USD

>i'm going to save up and improve my life so I can get a gayming computer and waste my life playing video games

>this
>leave behind the conforts of modern life and attempt to survive in the wild as a rite of passage of sorts
>you're never going to make it bro.

ok then yes after the first paycheck

'waste' is totally subjective

In my country if I earned 1200 USD a month as a single man I would paid extra taxes.

1200 a month is below the poverty line in the US, so I pray for you m8

the way i see it is that you are a result of billions of years of evolution. you where "designed" by evolution to be strong, you know the whole survival of the fittest thing.

>'waste' is totally subjective

No, you are objectively wasting your life when you play video games.

Maybe it's just me being delusional/biased towards myself.

I don't watch sports, I don't give half a shit about what celebrities are doing. Hell, I'm not even in the group of "consistently reading classical literature". I have zero issue socializing and even less issue keeping people laughing in conversation with me. I discuss life - just things that have happened with me and interactions with people. That's a hell of lot more relatable with people in general.

HAHA YEA BRAAAAHHH THE PARTIES IN JUNIOR YEAR ARE ONLY GONNA GET BETTER!!!!

if you're relaxed and take an interest in other people, ask some questions and let them talk about themselves, that's enough to get by in any social situation. not sure why people are suggesting reading classics and being a sperg, no one is impressed by a forced pseudo intellectual discussion.

You can't waste your life, no matter what you spend time on the whether it be considered a "quality activity" that builds skill, bonds and relationships or masturbating your whole life, the whole idea of life being wasted or not wasted is literal bullshit made up by people to feel right in the way they live, likely because of the effort that goes into their lifestyle.

The way you live your life affects how you continue to live your life. The way you experience life is a collection of different experiences, whether they feel it could have been spent completing activities that will make their lives better in the present moment is down to the individual and their personal philosophy and perception on life.

TL;DR: A guy with a job and a gym membership

Well, I was just at a group party and my GF got a text about how awesome it was talking to me about history from some other chick (who was mirin).

I'm in my late 20s, I have a small group of close friends. I don't give a fuck about shit like reality tv or celebrities. I watch ~2 hours of TV a year.

I used to be a fat fuck who drank cases of beer and talked sports all the time. I was a fucking loser.

I'm not talking about forced Reddit-style fake intellectualism either. Being well-read makes you more interesting, period. You don't have to be well-read in the classics only. Maybe you like biography. Or fiction. Who cares? Be interesting.

Same goes with being well-traveled. It makes you a better and more interesting person.

Agreed. People like talking to me because I ask about them and then relate my experiences to them. Socialization 101.

Sounds like a great plan for you to move out of your parents house and get a fucking job. Whatever it takes, right warrior?

I wish you could see this post 10 years from now

Think we're talking past each other here.

Nobody's suggesting discussing classic literature in regular conversation. However, if a joke or story is absolutely hilarious and relatable, it doesn't matter if it was written by Aristotle, Shakespeare, Jane Austen, or Kanye. The thing about reading the classics for "self-improvement" isn't to force conversation about it into regular dialogue, it's just taking idioms, flow, style, etc, bit by bit, slowly but surely, from people that are already well-respected as, ultimately, entertainers throughout the ages. I doubt well-respected writers have (had?) issue holding interesting and fun conversation.

And then of course there's also the advantage of taking previously well-established ideas that aren't necessarily in mainstream modern life...

>WITNESSED
Also, I'll take phrases that are constantly overused in the military for 1000, Alex.

makes you more focused, enhances sentence structure and story telling skills

I wish you could see different perspectives

reread what you greentexted

>lying in your death bed, looking back at your life
>"I wish I had spent more time playing video games"