How much sleep is actually necessary for physically active individuals?

According to archpsyc.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=206050 the optimal amount of sleep is around seven hours. Five hours of sleep is more optimal than the usually-promoted 'ideal' of eight. To determine the optimality of hours of sleep, mortality was used.

Obviously, most of the population in this study were probably sedentary. Is it safe to say that people who are physically active require more sleep than sedentary individuals?

Other urls found in this thread:

bjsm.bmj.com/content/15/1/51.full.pdf html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump?

Fuck off

i sleep at least 10 hours. i workout everyday for 1.5-2hrs though.

This is an interesting question.

this little bitch is crying because someone started a fitness related thread on his meme board.

Yeah i dont set an alarm and get like 11 hours

Kinda hate it

I've been curious about this.

Old lifting wisdom says sleep is essential for lifting progress.

When someone isn't making progress on a solid program, the first things they'll be told are to check their diet and their sleep.

Sleep's a double edged sword because it affects both recovery and gym performance.

Lets say you have a completely novice lifter attempting linear progression. What's the minimum amount of sleep needed to keep adding weight to the bar every time? What's the optimum amount of sleep for maximizing progress?

And of course pose the same question for intermediate and advanced lifters.

I try to sleep 8 cause thats what everoyone says. My lifting only lasts 30-50 minutes, though i also do cardio for maybe an hour daily. My job is not physically intense. I just go to bed when im worn out enough.

I follow dat dere biphasic sleep cycle, just natural to me

Id say 6 or 7 hours is like bare minimum

What about naps though? I used to get 6-7 + an hour and a half nap and progress

What I've heard is long periods of sleep are needed for muscle growth. Something something sleep cycles, which is why naps don't serve the same purpose.

Then again I've heard all this from dudes in the gym, so it could all be horse shit.

If anyone here has a factual response to this, that would be helpful.

LeBron James said that he sleeps 12 hours a day on average, and he's the greatest athlete of all time.

>n = 636095
>n = 480841
n is ver representative but there's no way to get those numbers unless you're just pulling them out of surveys and similar, and such a methodology is terribly flawed as the groups are not controlled. Furthermore, this is only related to cancer mortality, so the only reason to pay any attention to it would be cancer prevention. Furthermore the confidence intervals are too broad and too small for statistical correlation significance in most of the cases, with the only apparent exception being the >= 10 hours.
Irrelevant paper, would not use as guideline.

>greatest athlete of all time
/sp/ergs trigger alert

I personally make gains on 7ish. Less and I stall. I think one of the reasons I was able to sleep for like 14 hours a day in high school wasn't just because I was a burner waistoid but because I was growing. I don't see how less sleep could hurt and I do think that uninterrupted sleep is superior to napping. Napping is nice though.

O boi
It seems like no one actually knows

bjsm.bmj.com/content/15/1/51.full.pdf html

Greatest athlete of all time? An argument could be made, but objectively I think he's no better than the best Olympians, apart from the fact that he's 6'8" or whatever the fuck.

If I get less then 8hrs, I tend to have reduced strength and a shitty workout

However, lack of sleep doesn't seem affect any cardio I do

It's pretty hard to say, actually. The problem is that sleep occurs in cycles, and in some of those cycles, physical repair is more prominent, and in others, more neurological activity is happening.

This is pretty remarkable though, since I've read so many studies that talk about the severe quality of life deficit from insufficient sleep (where sufficient sleep is usually defined as 7.5 hours).

Would it be possible to lift progressively on one of those periodic sleep systems where you sleep for like 20 minutes every few hours or whatever the fuck it is