Any Concept 2 owners/rower that did the Summer Solstice 21 K challenge today. I just finished it

Any Concept 2 owners/rower that did the Summer Solstice 21 K challenge today. I just finished it.
Time? Average Splits?
Had mine for one month, 1hr 27 min, avg split of 2:03

how much is that and is it worth the money?

I am never going to do indoor rowing again

T. Burned out rower

I've done 3x30min (only 30s rest between those for water) with an average of 1:53 or so at r18 as part of weekly training

I paid over $1000 for it, I wouldn't have paid that much for it if its not for the fact they are so well made they hold their value for years. I saw used ones on craiglist for over $850.
And yes, it gives you one hell of a workout, a strength-endurance workout. Great for HIIT workouts too.

My 2k PR is 6:29 on sliders, 6:37 static. Never going to row again in the near future. Focusing on lifting.

those run $750 new, older models often $300 with some oil application needed on the drive train.

It's not worth the money. Hard workout, but not worth the money unless you really dedicate to it.

Good job! Going near 2:00 is always hard. What was your HR? I have a band, the highest it's been in my memory was after an hour rowing @22spm, it was 196bpm.

tell me more because, I'm and just quit my club because it was a waste of time compared to lifting.

Do you enjoy lifting more? I do. It's unfortunate there's only so many hours in the day for exer-size.

Personally i think its only worth the money if your on a rowing team and take it semi seriously. However i would rather go to the rowing clubhouse to see my row bros and workout there.

I don't have a heart rate monitor...yet, I was thinking of getting one in the future

I've been lifting for three years, but I noticed my aerobic fitness was crap. I have long wet winters so I thought that indoor rowing could help me stay fit during that time.

why do you need a HR monitor?
im a keen runner and i don't feel i need one
or that it would make any difference

I have these things at the gym but I just set a distance of 8 km and try to stay under 5m per kilometer.
I don't know what all that shit you guys are talking about means.

Ah just the program fucked me. I was at a good rowing uni in the UK and I'd just got out of the freshers program. Thrown straight into 13 sessions a week of hard shit. I didn't have the volume tolerance for it and was always getting ill and run down.

I had some talent though. I had a 6:15 2k after six months but I stagnated hard after that.

I went back to powerlifting (what I've done for three years now) because I can accept being bad at lifting. Because I inherently like lifting weights in a way I don't enjoy doing aerobic exercise.

I suppose you don't need anything, but for me, if I saw my HR was at 177 I would always fee confident to push it to 190 if I was running for less than an hour.

Most lifters think 110-130 is 'cardio'. It's not. You can literally reach that heart rate taking a cold shower. True gains come at cardiac outputs of 170-200 bpm. The gains goblin will catch you if you run for an hour or longer, though.

That is good to see. Having a low 6 2k signifies you have some real athletic capacity.

I know a rower at Boston University in the US, I'm a few years younger than him, he deads 450 for reps and is only 200 lbs or so. He used to be 240 when he was a teen.

On the other hand, there are the skinny kids who will never outlift 2 or 3pl8 but have exceptional proportions and lean tissue.

whats the highest you have seen?

i've had mine up to 208 on spinn bike seeing stars

>Most lifters think 110-130 is 'cardio'

i don't think mine is much more than this while lifting

oooh. Well, the team captain of my club had a heart arrhythmia, he underwent heart surgery around Christmas for it. His went 280-310 bpm.

He had several bouts with it and a special corticosteroid inhaler to prevent him from dying. Never had an EP pen that I knew of though.

First time I remember we were on a 5 mile run - he came in 30 minutes later than everyone, was walking, laughing it off.

Then he wore a heart monitor (not just a fitbit) with many sponges attached to his core so his doctor could diagnose the disorder when he had an episode. He got his diagnosis when I did a 2k next to him. The workout was 5x2k but I just did 1 all out because fuck stead state.

Wall of text, yeah, but you could feel his heart like he had multiple pumps going off at once.

It is safe to say Eric Murray is one of the strongest men to ever live.

>His went 280-310 bpm.
dude wat
I slow down when I hit 175 because I'm afraid I'll flop over.

slow down when you start seein blury things and your vision goes

thats what i do

Izlee. Which uni?

Should I start rowing and get uni QTs?
I have a concept 2 at home since my dad uses it :^)

My 2k PR was 6.37 as a heavyweight,
Then I went lightweight (cutting indefinitely)
>tfw sub 6.30 is lightyears away

Gonna quit rowing this year but gonna bulk and row to get myself close to the mythical 6.30

Something just doesn't feel right when my heart kicks into 2tact turbo mode and starts being a zooming frequency instead of the relaxing 55 bpm.
Guess I am just not used to that feeling. Thanks for the pointer.

I do cardio for an hour after lifting, mostly rowing and spinning. But I don't really know what I'm doing.
I get my rate to 175 for a bit then slow down to 140 for rest, and then back up.
Especially with rowing, I have no insight in what my performance is. Apparently I use all the wrong settings, like Cal/h instead of watts.

Literally just do 6x500m a couple times and your 2k will be the fastest it ever will.

Hardest workout I ever did

>Eric Murray
no way....NO FUCKING WAY!!

1:35 for 500m is incredible. I usually get around the 1:50 mark and I consider myself ok at rowing. Fair play user

Thanks guy,
Was thinking the same or 3x1k

Being able to hold your split for 3x1k should translate to holding it in a 2k

Cant wait to erg for speed and 2k splits opposed to antoher winter of 3x30mins

1.50 is ok for a non-rower

1.50 on a 500 is pretty poor for someone who rows at any competitive level,

assuming male.. maybe its alright for womens lightweight