Kicking the habit

Those of you that have managed to quit smoking - How do you deal with the night sweats / insomnia? Was this a problem for you guys?

Also to keep it Veeky Forums related did you notice increase in gains? Mental or physical?

I can't help with the question OP since I don't smoke but since smoking is bad for your health, the question is already fitness related. Ya didn't need your last sentence to make it fit related.
have a bump

Actually, no. I mean, I dreamed about nothing but smoking for 3 weeks, but that was about it.

Friends dad smoked for 40~ years straight and quit using a vape.

Started at high nic level because he was smoking 1-2 packs a day.

Every 1st of the month he would drop down a nicotine level.

After about 6-8 months he was down to almost no nicotine then did one month with 0 nicotine then stopped the next.

Thanks famaladingdong
That doesn't soudn too bad. Every night for the last 3-4 nights it's been
>go to bed at 11
>wake up at 1
>wake up at 3:30
>wake up at 5
>pillow is drenched in sweat
>try to get back to sleep
>sleep till 7:30 and get up

It's fucking up my gains and work day

I was tempted to use the patches / vape / gum, but instead i used the patches for 2 days and noticed severe pain wherever i had the patch on. So i just stopped wearing them. I've been doing ok with everyone else apart from the lack of sleep

after my dad quit he told me that his sense of smell and taste improved. He goes to the gym but he's not really gaining anymore because he's old - maybe that's why he didn't notice anything in that department.
Also his lung capacity didn't increase. I thought for sure that this would be the case, so don't expect miracles.
He felt really shitty at some points while quitting, but managed to pull through, you're going to make it as well. Don't give in.

I quit smoking very recently because the smoking age here was raised to 21, so I can't buy them anymore.

Granted I had only been smoking for about a year, but I'm glad the age requirement was raised. Helped me kick it before it got out of hand.

Something clicked when i wanted to quit. It just became my will i literally WANTED to quit and i cant tell you how i got that feeling but it just clicked. After that point the downside didnt bother me. i wish i could do that with alcohol and ganja but the truth is i dont want to quit either of those.
I would always tell myself I LOVE BEING ABLE TO BREATHE WELL.
I HATE COUGHING UP FLEM.
I LOVE NOT SPENDING MONEY.
I HATE HAVING TO SPEND CONSTANT TIME SMOKING AND TAKING BREAKS.
Seems a little corny but it worked for me.

This is literally what happened to me too and it was the most amazing feeling.

I was smoking for 7 years and i think what tipped it over the edge for me was i got a $300 dollar speeding fine, and thought of the money i was spending on smokes too.

It's been about 10 days now and i don't have any cravings really or intention of picking it back up... It's just the insomnia and night sweats ;_;

Same here. Smoked for over 17 years, more than half my life. Been meaning to quit for years and was finally ready. Used a vape, felt like such a fag I used it less and less and one day noticed I hadn't used it all day. Still have cravings but I just will not smoke. Probably still going to die from it but I feel way better and yes, recovery is vastly improved.

It will diminish with time. Depends on your addiction level to nicotine and how long you puffed tabac. Most any age lung function improves quickly, though dependent on smoking damage and age. Got off tobacco at 24, so grateful - only smoked 4 years. Though weed a different story entirely.
I'm 'an old dude' and I do ma; swim; strength training; sex energy training; breathwork; yoga. Note: even old folks, esp. men, can increase muscles. Went from 23bf to 10.5bf. Took 4+yrs
Gains should be quick, if persistent and TRAIN
Paz

Honestly there is no way around it. You're gonna have to suffer a bit but it won't last forever. I've been off of cigs for about a month and i still get some cravings when watching movies where the character smokes but its been dwindling.

i smoke a lot of weed and maybe 2-3 cigs a day on average. i definitely feel cardiovascular effects if i've been smoking too many squares lately, but i've noticed no negative effects from weed.

How do I start smoking? I really want to but I feel like I'm not enjoying it. I like the first 4-5 drags because I get a nicotine buzz, but then I don't get it. It just feels like a waste of time and I get self conscious.

Related note: I was at the gas station and my heart was beating, I had so much anxiety and just sped walked around the aisles for a few minutes while the 2 cute cash register girls watched. Then I asked them for a pack of cigarettes and they couldn't understand me, I asked 4 times, then I had to show ID even though I'm fucking 24, then after purchasing I sped walked around the aisles again pretending to look at stuff before running out of the gas station and going home feeling defeated.

'mirin shirt. where 2 cop? pacsun?

also how long lifting?

You really have to try. Focus on smoking anytime you do something. Eating? Smoke. Cute girl? Invite her to smoke (while smoking). Mom's birthday? Smoke.

It starts to get easier once you're addicted but desu it took some getting used to. I'm on a mobile 45 gallon oxygen tank now and I've never felt better about my smoking ability.

A few months ago I'd smoke about 1/2 to 2 packs a day, and dip a can a day, and I've tapered off using a vape. I started at 24mg nicotine because I'm a fiend, and I'm at 3mg now, about to quit altogether. 4 months so far. No issues.

Try to get a prescription for ambien or some other god awfully powerful sleep aid. Worked wonders for me.

I used patches for like a fortnight and they made me feel awful. Quit cold turkey after that and haven't had a smoke in 10 months. Still dream about cigarettes sometimes though

h&m
3 years