Why do people cling to Political Extremes even in times where there is no crisis...

Why do people cling to Political Extremes even in times where there is no crisis ? yeah im a centre-right and I see no need for Far-Right or Far-Left poltics as they only curtail Human rights.

Anomie.

I've got no idea why the extremes have gotten popular, but I don't fucking like it.

Tribalism.
Humans are basically dumb animals.

>dumb
Comparatively, we are the most intelligent species known to exist no matter how much stupid shit we do.

>communism
>dictatorship

Marxism-leninism and Maosim are not Communism, brainlet deluxe

The West is experiencing economic stress caused by factors such as economic competition from Asia.
The economic stress is causing people to question the currently dominant politico-economic system.
The diminishing relative strength of whites in the world is encouraging the growth of white identity politics and a fearful sense that the geographic and economic territory held by whites must be protected against further diminishment.
Meanwhile, some members of various economically underachieving non-dominant groups (such as blacks, women, etc.) are engaging in their own identity politics and blaming of others to escape having the face the ways in which they themselves are responsible for their underachieving.
In the US, at least, the structure of the political system forces both major political alignments to pander to crazies and extremists because of the logic that “if we don’t do it, the other side will, and then they will win the elections”.
Meanwhile, the Internet is doing what radio did in the early 20th century - it's giving demagogues a way to directly reach large numbers of people.
Most people in the West are historically illiterate and understand the horrors of militant populism and illiberal rule only vaguely, at best.
Many people are also prone to victim complex master narratives, simplistic and totalizing children's cartoon interpretations of reality which depict it as a Manichean struggle between "the good, noble ordinary people" and "the evil scheming elites". Those elites are variously imagined as corporate fat cats, Jews, bureaucrat globalists, etc. The narratives tell people "your suffering is not random, it's not your fault, it has a higher meaning", and so on.

I have a hunch that improving the economic situation would fix everything. But I'm not sure how an improvement of the economic situation could be accomplished. I think that technological advances might do the trick.

True. Though I can't help but seeing the collective stupidity of people writ large and becoming depressed.

>everyone resents neoliberalism
>neoliberalism chokes and alternatives rise
>everyone panics and wants to retain neoliberalism

It's a decades-old (centuries-old really) culture struggle in the West that's just re-escalated to the intensity that existed prior to the neo-liberal consensus that's dominated since the 80's. But now that there's no economic cure for our ills, I expect both sides to progressively abandon any notion of coexistence and begin baying for the annihilation of anyone or anything that isn't 100% 'orthodox' to their evermore warped and dogmatic values.

people have become divided by politics now more than ever and the gap is still widening

Humans hate whoever is in charge, because they are the scapegoat for all ills. If liberalism takes over, they hate it. If conservatism takes over, they hate it

Don't you bring Ringo into this. He's as optimistic as one gets.

This is the point of putting people in charge, and why revolutions happen. The average person is a resentful, thoughtless coward who wants to believe that all of the self-inflicted problems in their own life have a root outside themselves. When the people "in charge" can't use the dread and deference people feel for them to direct their (the people's) vengeful energy at a scapegoat outside the state, this energy is turned back on them.

Because as long as people are frothing at the mouth about muh libtards, muh cuckservatives they don't actually have to pay attention to anything else because of controlled opposition
The tail's wagging the dog.

The people that feel more strongly about politics tend to be attracted to people with similar views much more and so end up in feedback loops with their political groups. People with less interest in politics are less likely to be attracted or repeled to other people according to politics.

Cultivating a political culture of understanding, critical though and compromise is hard because the people that are most likely to be willing to spend that much atention in politics are the ones that need more re-affirmation of their political biases and the ones that feel the most need to signal loyalty to their own political tribes.

>Why do people cling to Political Extremes even in times where there is no crisis ?

When at least one side can see the crisis over the horizon, and the other side is counting on said crisis.

I guess people grow more radicalized as tensions get stronger. There are also a lot of accusations of extremism towards eachother when ever one side does something the other doesn't like.

I personally just don't think humans are wired to be understanding and critical thinking.

Sure, some humans are. But not the vast majority of them. A person is smart, people are stupid.

>why do people have views that are different from mine
>why do these people that believe in these views believe these views will be good or improve things

We're a social species of domesticate primate. We're hard wired to follow the leader and work in groups. To do that you've got to be able to compartmentalize your personal thoughts and beliefs when dealing with a group, which lets you do all kinds of doublethink without even noticing.
The problem is now we have the internet to validate any pants-on-head retarded opinion, so people can get in a hug box and engage in that same kind of doublethink, but now its not in service to the tribe, its to feed one's own self centered worldview about how special and important you are to the universe as a whole.

Radical extremists detected

- Economic insecurity. Unemployment and debt especially, as they make people desperate. Mixed responses to the globalism of the 00s. Widening income inequality.
- Shifts in global power (America declining, China growing, EU fragmenting, Russia trying to seem like a villain while hushing serious problems).
- Politics generally replacing religion as people's primary form of idealism.
- The internet. Like no shit, I blame the internet for making everyone political all the time and pushing a culture of both outrage and apathy. Also how paranoid people are. People being isolated, absorbed in escapist media and digital echo chambers.
- Trump. He's just been super divisive and few people saw it coming. Obama even felt like a radical change compared to Bush but Trump was an even bigger shock in the other direction. I know this is US centric but the whole world felt his election.

Might have something to do with the demographic invasion of the third world into the first world.

Because I don't like the current state of things, small changes aren't producing results fast enough, so more aggressive changes get called for instead of letting things ride and seeing what happens.

And then eventually I get my wish and we either explode and burst with progress, influence, and wealth I can feel good that I pushed to make something happen or everything goes down the shitter and I don't live long enough to be concerned about it anyway.

Because they're not modern political opinion, but post-modern political opinions. Boiled down, stereotyped, action figures of political opinions. a McPolitics if you will.

>democrats
>left wing
Why do Americans do this?

Because they've never lived anywhere that has a real left wing party. Dems and Repubs are both conservative leaning compared to the rest of the world, divide the country on stupid sociopolitical shit while serving corporate masters.

I say this as an amerifag.

Because there's no absolute left and right, so if you've only got two parties, one wind up being called left and the other right.

It's like referring to the "liberal faction" in the Catholic church. Yeah, it's liberal within that grouping, but it's still majorly conservative compared to the world's historical parties.

>Human rights

This user knows the truth.

Over time I've found myself growing fonder of the horseshoe model if for nothing else it demonstrates how much the fringes start to resemble each other in function, if not in form. To answer your question, has it right. It's tribalism, plain and simple, compounded by the ability of people to more easily seek out like minded people via the internet, eventually opening themselves up to falling into the cesspool of echo chambers available to any and every political persuasion under the sun. People aren't talking to each other anymore. Hell, once upon a time, you could be a democrat and your neighbor a republican, and it was the emotional equivalent of rooting for different college football teams. Nowadays, not so much. Ultimately, the less we talk to each other, the less we realize we're better off compromising with each other (or at bare minimum, listening to others and gleaning what wisdom we can from what they have to say.)

Two Red Scares will do that to you

>dems are conservative leaning
Thank god fir that, its mostly kept them immune to identity politics.

Clinton kinda blew that, didn't she?

conservatives can indulge in idpol too you know

>I think that technological advances might do the trick.

That is just a variation of a 'growth based solution'. It rarely works and more rarely works these days then before. Why?

Diminishing returns on new technology. The biggest improvement on productivity that we have had was home electrification. After that point economic impact has been becoming smaller for each new step foreword in technology.

>all extremes are dictatorships

For people to recreate their radically different, specific and unconpromising views of how stuff is to work, it takes a lot of top-down action.

The only way an extreme can be maintained is if it’s enforced by an extreme authority, i.e a dictatorship.

>Fascism
>conservative
>in favor of the status quo
>reactionary

All completely wrong as Fascism was a revolutionary ideology that was for social change and rejected traditional religion

Personally I struggled with this question for a long time I came to the conclusion that it's the lack of unity.

When the United States first became a country it had a identity based on classical liberal values, Anglo-Saxon heritage and Protestant Christianity, now some states are like completely different countries from each other with totally different social economic demands and America's diversity craze does not help this at all in fact I argue that it's accelerating it Beyond unhealthy levels I get a cold war vibe from how Americans describe each other.

The only solution I could really come up with is freedom of Association and decentralization of government power and I don't know how that would be implemented currently.

>b-but when Marx said dictatorship he didn't actually mean dictatorship
Fuck off