Aesthetic Armor/Arms

Can we get an a e s t h e t i c thread pls

What era/place was most aesthetic in terms of arms and armor? I've always had a hard on for late Rome.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tuBg91kJ_9o
youtube.com/watch?v=oyrPzy6y_IA
youtube.com/watch?v=3j3_iPskjxk
sss.gov/Registration-Info/Who-Registration
youtube.com/watch?v=EmErYWQ5noc
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Late Rome
MY MAN

simple patterns and colorful dyes man is this super expensive for hollywood or what? it looks incredible

No user, we need more raggedy scraps of leather and stupid hats

Check this out

Got any more? Also a retarded question but what happened to the Lorica segmentata?

cute

many were in use until they literally fell apart and at that point scales or lamellar were a better option for really heavy armor

GoT has plenty of bright colors, the Freys are just poor as fuck. Plus they're one of the few houses that are unambiguously bad, so of course they get the dark colors

>Got any more?
ye

That's really not a stupid question, plenty of people wonder about it and plenty more get it wrong.

as
says they weren't immediately dropped out of use like some people suggest, they stayed in use for a long time, up until the early 4th century (we think). They were very difficult to maintain and didn't offer many advantages over mail, scale or lamellar for how cumbersome and difficult they were to use and keep in good condition. Plus, they're really only useful for heavy infantry, and after Constantine the Roman Army started mass producing their equipment in factories, so everything needed to be used by as many troops as possible.

It's not really a matter of colour, it's about quality. The Frey "armor" looks like some university student has taken a hacksaw to some LARP grade leather.

Plus even the fancy armor on the show looks rubbish now.

this is a bit much

Modern stuff is cool

God those ridge helmets are sexy

Honest question, would this be more effective in melee combat than metal armor

found a pic with them

yeah mang, that's a depiction of the Battle of Turin drawn by Seán Ó Brógáin I believe. During the battle, Constantine sent out heavily armored troops armed with huge two-handed maces to deal with Maxentius' cataphracts.

Did byzantines really have plate armor like the left guy there?

It would be superior in a few ways but its also bulky and full of gaps. Riot cop armor is the ultimate melee armor.

It would absorb blunt shock very well, but I imagine it would be pierced easier than a solid metal plate. Everything has its gives and takes. This user speaks much truth: riot armor is very effective

C L E A R T H E W A Y

>Duryea's 5th Regiment Zouaves

Napoleonic Era. When else were men required to were tight fitting white pants in battle?

what an era it was

Funny that men always look best in battle

Then again the British army had them one better

youtube.com/watch?v=tuBg91kJ_9o

In modern times of course the Nazi's had the best uniforms. Not hard to measure every officer and make them look good, Germany did it first.

If you are the master race you better look better then anyone you see on the street, that's my dressing philosophy anyway

youtube.com/watch?v=oyrPzy6y_IA

are the Zouaves supposed to be particularly North African/Berber? cause one type of Italian fascist uniform is very similar

youtube.com/watch?v=3j3_iPskjxk

sss.gov/Registration-Info/Who-Registration

In 600BCE we had a shield, and armor on our legs, because that is all our God gave us.

A champion named Goliath, who was from Gath, came out of the Philistine camp. His height was six cubits and a span

Goliath stood and shouted to the ranks of Israel, “Why do you come out and line up for battle? Am I not a Trump, and are you not the servants of Saul? Choose a man and have him come down to me.

In the army none came yet they said the king will give great wealth to the man who kills him. He will also give him his daughter in marriage and will exempt his family from taxes in Israel.

Then Saul dressed David in his own tunic. He put a coat of armor on him and a bronze helmet on his head. David fastened on his sword over the tunic and tried walking around, because he was not used to them.

Then he took his staff in his hand, chose five smooth stones from the stream, put them in the pouch of his shepherd’s bag and, with his sling in his hand, approached the Philistine.

As the Philistine moved closer to attack him, David ran quickly toward the battle line to meet him. Reaching into his bag and taking out a stone, he slung it and struck the Philistine on the forehead. The stone sank into his forehead, and he fell facedown on the ground.

youtube.com/watch?v=EmErYWQ5noc

For me at least, renaissance master smiths perfected armour in both functionality and aestethics.

Republic is the best

I find XIV-XV the most pleasing. Renaissance has better armors, but people went a bit far with the Veeky Forumsshion

Reminder that Hussars are objectively the best

That terrain doesn't look like Britain.

By the final years of th Empire the Byzantines were using basically anything they could get their hands on, so I imagine some of them probably wore plate armor. On top of that, Italian mercenaries usually formed a pretty significant component of Byzantine soldiery after a certain point.

Late Roman empire was aesthetic af

It truly was.

Are there good webstores where I can buy nice replicas? All I see in my admittedly lazy searches are costume shit and poorly done replicas.

I just want to buy helmets and swords...

This:Or just a western mercenary anyway, late Byzantines used loads of them if I recall correctly.

>That shield
>Rome
More like Chrome

I really like Aztec fashion.

Googlus ? Tell me where do the germanic hordes come from ?

this is pretty cool

always loved the Dacian canpaign (5th, middle row) geared up mode

Why is it that late antiquity romans have long trousers and sleeves? Did the world just turned colder? Classical romans wore short tunics like nothing

The aesthetic shift started earlier than most people realize too.

fucking furries

Not gonna lie, from 00:10 to 00:14 I thought it was a single girl changing hairstyles

it could be if they didn't do the whole "embed random shit on helmets until they look like they came in a cereal box" thing.

seriously that looks garbage, and that ring around the skull makes it a bit bobble headed. I think if you put that visor thing of earlier cavalry helmets on it, or even the big band that attics had, it would look awesome, like a remix of an old Chalcydian or Corinthian.

Good meme, mind if I save it? ahah

>and will exempt his family from taxes in Israel.
That's truely the greatest honour a Jewish king can grant

I really like it, its like a fusion of European plate Armour with a Japanese samurai twist

Do you have any more , I fucking love the style

E D G Y

F U R R I E S

great taste

Pre-Columbian South America is seriously underrated

>No one has posted this badboy yet

Explain yourselves.

Anyone have more 15th century European armor?

bump

>4 Swastikas

The team at Osprey had fun drawing this didn't they

there's nothing wrong with the swastika, it actually bothers me that it has gotten such a bad stigma because of one autistic german

those boots seem incredibly advanced for their time period

Cromwellian cavalry was aesthetic as fuck tbhfamilia

>helmet with chi rho on it
i came

bump

The army became more multicultural (barbarian) as time went one, the military adopted pants in the colder northern climates but the trend spread to civil services and eventually the general public. It is possible this was a forced meme as the later Roman Empire was much more heavily militarized. Emperor Honorius issued a ban for pants in Rome itself which is either an attempt to maintain Roman culture or simply to stop military personnel/barbarian-Romans from entering the city.

There is also evidence that the weather did actually get colder, some people say that a reason for the migration period was because Europe became colder and so the barbarians moved in to Rome because the grass was geener.

Hardline conservatives of Late Rome condemned the wearing of trousers, seeing it as an affront to Roman culture and a sign of cultural decay. As time went on, German culture diffused into Roman lands and part of that was pants.

Also, pants are just infinitely better to wear while riding a horse. Seeing as how late Rome was putting a lot of its eggs into heavy cavalry, it makes sense why more and more soldiers were wearing them.

>that time both sides of the ACW fielded zouave regiments

Was the 19th century the last time war could be truly Veeky Forums in such an individualistic manner?

>tfw you'll never go into battle wearing a porcupine fish helmet

Gorgeous

Holy shit how have I never known this before

They were originally French north african (Algeria) colonial troops iirc, so the Italians having similar units next door in their Lybian territories sounds pretty reasonable.

>painting in a painting
cool

An Östrich reeee

>brigandines

This user knows what's up. I fucking love brigandines.

All this great taste on one Filipino headhunting forum.

11th-12th century europe was pretty aesthetic

I can dump landsknechts if anyone wants.

Also have vikings, romans, knights, and various men at arms.

dump whatever you feel like dumping, vikings and knights would be appreciated, everyone itt seems to like late rome

I'll start with vikings since my viking kit is my favorite at medieval fairs.