Can i start a lifting routine while I have pretty severe shoulder impingement...

Can i start a lifting routine while I have pretty severe shoulder impingement, or will that get in the way of progress because of the pain? Ive had it for a long time but I just figured out it was impingement and I really want to fix it asap.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RZJUJF-GZP4
youtube.com/watch?v=fbdqljT873I
youtube.com/watch?v=5cnyRkZTtoM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just start out really light.
Do a lot of mobility work as well.
Gradually lift heavier as you feel able to.

you should see a doctor first to know what kinda workout your shoulder is fine with.

Unfortunately I don't have a doctor, nor can I afford one

I've got the same thing bro. Today is supposed to be chest/biceps but I'm terrified of wrecking my shoulder more with the chest work. Probably just gonna keep icing, taking aspirin, and doing mobility work for a week.

Don't bother going to a doctor, they don't know shit about lifting. Go to a physical therapist instead

dude if you need help to people who should give you help they need all info
do you have rounded shoulder or just forward, scoliosis or no, post pictures and info that you think is usefull.

Impingement usually comes from bad posture

Yeah they are rounded a bit but ive been actively trying to fix it for months. I just desperately need to fix this impingement. I lost 20 pounds in the last year, while gaining a gut because I havent lifted properly or even at all because of the shoulder issue. I'm on etodolac which is a prescription nsaid from the doctor I used to have and thats about all I have. i just started following these therapists videos on how to fix it, which is basically 2 movements, idk if they work but i started yesterday. The down and back shit i already do like all day.

youtube.com/watch?v=RZJUJF-GZP4

this

bump

Start streching and get rid of bad habits that are causing bad posture. Once you have that under control you can start loading your shoulder...

It's been about 4 years since I've fractured my shoulder or upper humerus I guess. Any tips for dealing with it? Every now and then it pops while I'm doing pull ups or inclines or whatever. I try to stretch a lot before hand but the fact that this never fully healed kinda pisses me off.

How long does that usually take?

Don't do static stretches before a workout.

Doctors are retarded and will just tell you to stop lifting.

physical therapists say the same

op: do this video (and there 3 video for rotator cuff) and ice

I have the same issue and went to a pt, he had me doing rotator cuff (with a rubber band) exercises and ice for 20 min after

look you need to both keep the inflammation down in the shoulder joint and strengthen the rotator cuff and deltoid

800mg Advil 2-3 times daily for 5 days
take with food or protein shake
absolutely 0 gym time during this time
give the joint time to rest and heal any damage you've already caused

for lifts
keep elbows in during bench press
avoid incline bench press for now and incline dumbbell press
avoid sitting dumbbell press

look up proper form of standing overhead press, biggest thing is to shrug your shoulders during the movement, this provides space for the suprispinatus tendon

doing this lift properly you can build shoulder strength even with impingement

work back and do overhead press on the same day
nothing else for shoulders if u do it this way

3-4 days rest then do chest
repeat

during bench press retract your shoulder blades
this provides stability for the shoulder joint

take it slow and u can see gains and repair

Icing the shoulder that gets like no blood??

Ive seen this pasta, but how long do you do this?

land of the free

I'm the one who created the pasta.
This is the exact regimen I did to fix my shoulder impingement symptoms.

Take 800mg Advil the morning of your workout. if you don't work out within 6 hours, take another 800mg 30-45 mins before workout.
You can take Advil every 6 hours.

There is no magic time needed to fix this issue. You have to go on how you feel. listen to your body, don't workout if you feel joint pain You will know.

Proper form on lifts is a must. Forget ego lifting and super heavy. Aim for atleast 10 reps. 4 sets max. Stronglifts website has a great guide on OHP form

Thanks a lot, and you think OHP is something that will really help? Most physical therapists I have read say OHP is something that really causes impingement

impingement is when the suprispinatus tendon gets squished in the shoulder joint during raising of arm above the head, causing pain and eventually inflammation. The inflammation causes pain days after the event happens.

Shrugging your shoulders during the lift gives the tendon enough space to function without being squished.

If you do the lift wrong you will experience impingement.
When done correctly, you are fine.
Medical professionals tell you "No Lifting" to protect their asses to not get sued. Medical Malpractice is a huge business in the USA.

>Shrugging your shoulders during the lift gives the tendon enough space to function without being squished.

My question about this is, you cannot have your shoulders shrugged until you reach the top of the movement right?

So how can you stop the suprispinatus from getting impinged while youre doing the movement?

And oh yeah well that makes sense. I have just tried like everything my man, i've had this pain for many many months and ive about given up hope. It hurts when I bench. But MRI's show nothing of too much concern, but I know I have impingement because I am positive in most tests I do there is pain in that shoulder and not the other.

Also I can't stress how imperative it is you read the stronglifts OHP guide and memorize that shit.

The shrugging of the shoulders happens throughout the whole lift as the bar is lifted, not just at the top. Hope that is more clear

youtube.com/watch?v=fbdqljT873I
These help me out with shoulder instability and pain in my shoulder. Also look up his press fix if you do OHP and start doing shoulder mobility exercises like shoulder dislocates etc.

Static stretching before a workout is dangerous.

honestly some light The Press should help fix that.

Pasta creator here. Forgot to add Do warmups with rubber bands, external rotations. Hold each end of the band in your hand, shoulder width apart. stretch the band outwards as you raise your arms up and behind your head band stretched out the whole time. 2 sets of 10, nothing real hard it will feel light

youtube.com/watch?v=5cnyRkZTtoM

will this video be sufficient?

He has videos on shoulder dislocations? Also I just tried doing OHP just right now and I can feel it hurting my shoulder. Do I not have enough muscle to shrug upwards? wtf

Why has nobody recomended mao-fascia release? Massage the painful area.

Why has nobody recomended mao-fascia release? Massage the painful area.

bump

bump

bump

yea it's good but stop being an idiot and read the stronglifts guide to learn posture

USA?

apply for medicare/medicaid?

a mental health diagnosis helps if you've ever had one