Can calisthenics and dumbbells alone help build muscle?

Can calisthenics and dumbbells alone help build muscle?

I never lift by the way, used to do bench press, deadlift and squats a few years ago but haven't done shit since.

Other urls found in this thread:

ashotofadrenaline.net/calisthenics-workout-plan/#workout
youtube.com/watch?v=aAGGK8Xyqxc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's better than nothing but it's far from efficient.

But yes if you exert yourself and use the element of progressive overload in some way(weight or reps increase) you will build muscle

definitely. What dumbbells do you have

Just typical ones, x2 10lb, x2 15lb, x2 20lb, x2 25 lb and x1 30lb

Also just to disclose, I'm looking to build muscle mass

exercise, nutrition and rest.

/thread

Ofc

Bump

Why does everyone say this? Seems like a meme that everyone keeps spouting without any anything to back it up

Would it be stupid to do calisthenics, even tho I have gym membership and tons of free time every day?
I have been lifting for some time but im still novice. I want to build muscle, get stronger but also be more athletic, explosive, balance etc...

Progressive overload would happen by evolving excerices and making them harder. For example for push ups all the way to 3x10 one hand clean push ups, feet together. After that I can make it even harder doinh it decline and lower rest time between sets, slow negative etc....

It's hard to hit all muscle groups effectively so you'll bw lacking and gets hard to move up in weight

yes use the membership why do you pay for it

DYELog

Don't do calisthenics if you just want muscle, just the fact that you are doing calisthenics is the best reason to do it anyway, like any other activity out there

I can cancel the membership and I think calisthenics maybe better for functional strenght, olympic dudes are ripped as fk and never touch weights and wrestlers etc. Use bodyweight excerices in their training instead of weights

Qell duh
I have only been doing
300 pushups
100 30 Dumbells
200 Situps
10Min running
20ish Hanging leg raises (Doordrame pullup bar so cant do too muxh at a time)
20ish Chinups
50 Hanging knee ups

Twice a day one at 5 AM and one at 7PM for like 5-6 days a week for like 3 Months now
Pretty good Gains I guess, definietly better than nothing.

Why? Are your goals in endurance? Wouldnt you prefer gaining muscle and strenght doin calisthenics? Then you have to do reps 5-15 sets 2-4.

>olympic dudes are ripped as fk and never touch weights and wrestlers etc. Use bodyweight excerices in their training instead of weights

What makes you think they don't lift?

that's why bodyweight sucks dick
learning next progressions requires way more ability and time than just putting on more weight
compare putting few kilos more on barbell to going from pullups to muscleups/pullovers/tucked front lever or whatever

Umm you really think they do? XD
There may be some that do bit gym but google it up and they do just alot static things and bodyweight training I mean gymnastic dudes, and they have huge arms and shoulders.

You think lifting weights helps playing with rings or doing backflips etc.? No.

It works until you hit the limit on progressive overload. If you're willing to be a bit creative then you can push that moment forward. Using heavy bags and stuff you have in your garage prolongs it even further- but that is outside the scope of your question.

It will be less efficient than barbell training and as time goes on that kind of training becomes less and less efficient compared to traditional barbell exercises. My guess is that the average sedentary guy could build muscle mass with advanced calisthenics using dumbbells for about a year before it just becomes silly and they should cough up the money for a gym membership.

Specificity. Of course the best way to be good at gymnastics is to do gymnastics, but to be at an elite level you need to do more than that - using a strength training regiment tailored to the specific needs of the sport is a matter of course.

The calisthenics dudes at my gym are by far the most jacked in terms of upper body. All shredded and all pretty big.

They're not just push-up and pull up guys but proper shit so if you can progress with it and do genuine gymnastic shit then I'd say yeah

may i ask what kind of work you do?

details on the gains please

ish Hanging leg raises (Doordrame pullup bar so cant do too muxh at a time)

how do you do hanging leg raises are you less then 5ft?

So do we have any bodyweight thread here?

Pull yourself all the way up with the two middle bars that extend outward
I'm 6foot and I can do it

if you know how you def can

but since you're probally new you dont know how so you're better off in the gym

there is no way you can do it with a door gym without bending your knees.

"hanging" not held up like the position of a pulled pullup

Calisthenics are great for fitness and athleticism, as the work some many small stabilizer muscles and burn calories to lessen body fat. They will not make look like a freakish rich piana looking mutant and are a less effective workout choice for a heavy but improperly used steroid cycle. This is why /fit hates them and why overweight pudpiles regurgitate so much misinformation about them.

>"hanging" not held up like the position of a pulled pullup
My bad that's what I meant

But honestly what is the difference?
You just workout your arms more when you pull yourself up.

While a lot of what you said is true, I hate calisthenics because they're boring as hell and the results take forever. I'm not the typical fatass who barely lifts, i.e like 90% of Veeky Forums.

>Tfw still in school

I code and do uhh.. computer stuff and take two online classes.

Question for the gents in this thread that seem to know some stuff, what would be better in terms of programming in regards to calisthenics; doing a M/W/F upper body/lower-body/core type deal where each day I go pretty hard with the number and intensity of exercises, or a full body workout each day and doing a variation of pushing, pulling, core, and leg work. Sorry if that doesn't make sense by how I'm asking it.

How will I know when to add weight to my push up?

post pic, that looks like a meme workout

has someone followed this routine? Post results

Only about halfway through but here's the updated version. As for results, it works about as well as you'd expect a bodyweight workout would.

Same user, let me clarify. I'm trying to design something around Dominik Sky's calisthenic tutorials on YouTube, and he broke his tutorials up into upper body pulling, pressing, and core.

It'll provide you with lean muscle and functionally it's about as good as you get if you like a good combo of speed and endurance. But if you want size, then go for weights.

Pic related was me at the peak of my calisthenics training. For my job it was perfect, and doing 235 push-ups is a cool thing to say, but I wasn't a bodybuilder or the other stuff Veeky Forums usually wants.

GET OUT OF HERE SCRUB YOUR NOT RIPPED

THIS IS /fit

YOU GET HUGE OR YOU GO HOME

GENERAL FITNESS? OVERALL HEALTH? YOU GET HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE OR YOU GO JOIN THE OTHER FATTIES IN STARBUCKS

[spoiler]no homo[spoiler/]

This one is pretty good in terms of recovery and intensity.

ashotofadrenaline.net/calisthenics-workout-plan/#workout

The only change I made was that for arms day I do a basic arm weight workout because mine are naturally DYEL.

When I was working on my Planche/Front Lever/handstands I was practicing them every day, and doing weighted Pullups/one arm Pushups every day, I would add weight every time I hit 8 reps. I would recommend adding some overhead pressing if possible, it helps so much with handstands.

natty shoulders are so depressing to look at

Told you it's not Veeky Forums approved.

That looks good, otter mode right? You're already ripped compared to 99% of men, how is your strenght?

do different types, grips, etc. Archer push ups, close grip, far grip, one hand, basketball, etc.

Did you use protein powder? If no would you get bigger if you did?

It was definitely above my weight, which was 165 there. Not powerlifting or anything, but I was definitely able to hold my own.

Protein powder was a major part of my diet.

youtube.com/watch?v=aAGGK8Xyqxc

but he said he made good gains from calisthenics in the beginning

This is the sort of person judging your progress pics.
>Dude i swear i used to go to the gym a few years ago i did the thing on the bench and the one where you pick the bar up off the floor. I was bigger and leaner than you too.

You're going to the gym now? Can you post your current pic?

I had appendicitis surgery two months back, not to mention irregular eating and workout habits due to my job. I honestly look awful now.

I'm attempting to mix calisthenics with weight lifting in hopes of getting back to what I used to be.

wait, i thought that was the old version?

You already made it once, 2nd time is going to be piss easy for you. I'd love to have body like yous in that pic i think it looks great. Also how long did it take you to achieve it? How frequent were your sesions and what routine did you do if i may ask?

Nah this is the newest version. You can find the pdf and poster of it on his website.

damn it. since the other one says "corrected" i thought it was a newer version. thanks

Cool. What was your routine/diet?

>You think lifting weights helps playing with rings or doing backflips etc.? No.
you clearly have no clue what you are talking about. please stop spreading misinformation.

Legs are going to be hard to train. Aside from that it's great.