Crossfit

I'm interested in joining the only crossfit gym in my city. How can I make sure they're not the stupid kippling pull up type of crossfit?

inb4 SS/SL + GOMAD. I tried that, all it did was injure me, make me fat and increase my appetite, which hasn't gone down since then.

You can't.. that's literally what crossfit is.
Don't do crossfit, bro. It's a terrible cult.

Ask to sit in on a class.

Better than being fat.

It's the only way I can get Olympic lift coaching in my city.

It's really not. Fat people still have motor function after eating a double cheeseburger. Can't say the same after a crossfit session.

There is literally nothing wrong with crossfit

Oh I'm sorry I didn't know this was /lgbt/.

is crossfit safe?

I do crossfit and I made more gains in 3 months than I did in 2 years.

It's very diversed and focused, works really well.

no, compound strength and power movements are not meant to be done for speed.

crossfit helps you lose weight by grinding your joints out of existence

The value of minimal effort reps aside it strikes me that crossfit tends to be about bossing people into tiring themselves rather than working with each individual's capabilities and training them accordingly.

how about instead of joining a cult of retards jerking each other off, you learn to actually lift weight and eat right? You said you did SL? what were your lifts at the end? how long did you do it? gains dont appear overnight.

Yeah okay I'll just contact the nonexistent weight lifting personal trainer in my city and sign up for lessons.

Have you ever actually tried to talk to a personal trainer? Every single one of those motherfuckers outlines a diet and cardio regimen, and the second you ask about squats or overhand press, they look at you like you grew tentacles.

Like it or not, crossfit are the only widespread trainers that will even touch heavy lifting with a 10 foot pole.

>You said you did SL? what were your lifts at the end? how long did you do it? gains dont appear overnight.
Fuck you. Seriously kill yourself.

Rabdomyolysis
a n
b a
d p
o c
m i
y t
o y
l
y
s
i
snapcity

It's called proper hydration buddy, look into it.

Personal trainers shouldn't be giving you any sort of meal plan unless they're registered dieticians. Their only job is to teach you to exercise properly. And there's a middle ground in between only doing compound lifts for strength gains and doing cross fit. Don't act like those are your only options

Crossfit
>coaching

This isn't about efficacy of a specific program, this is about learning to lift safely. I know you want a broscience thread, and there's plenty of those elsewhere on the board.

Don't do it OP. I did it for a while thinking it was awesome. Did some heavy lifting, there were some hot girls who care that I could squat 3plate to depth, I was on top of the world. In ten months of cross fit I put exactly 0 lbs on my total, got in good cardio shape which I could have accomplished hoping on a treadmill a few times a week. I also got injured twice, both times doing retarded "olympic lifts fatigued as fast as you can" bullshit. I received about 30 minutes of actual oly coaching, the rest I figured out through practice and my own research.

The price for this ten months of temporary lifting oversight was around 1300 dollars, or roughly what it would have cost me to put a sick home gym in my garage that I could keep forever.

Learn from me OP don't do cross fit.

If you want to learn the oly lifts either find a coach far away you're willing to drive far to occasionally or maybe some kind of e coaching.

Those cross fit guys are a joke anyways, they take like a 6 hour course to learn the olympic lifts that you could learn yourself by watching California strength videos.

The coach in the box I went to snatched 175, which for anyone claiming any sort of mastery of the olympic lifts is dismal.

Don't be like me OP

There's a certified instructor that coaches each session.

This is helpful. Thanks.

thats like saying im a professional pilot because I shot down a plane in warthunder

I've already tried youtube, books and the sticky, and ended up fat and injured. I think it's time for some professional help, and for most people that's a fitness class.

>I've already tried youtube, books and the sticky, and ended up fat and injured
obviously crossfit is the next reasonable step

175 lb? Because 175 kg is pretty fucking impressive.

That is cross fit, m8. All the competitive cross fitfags actually lift.

I guess I could go back to cardio and light weights and become a hungry skellington again, but I tried to get into lifting heavy to get away from that.

The certificate is a weekend course m8.

hes only trying to help bro, youre way too weak willed to ever make any true progress or changes in your life if you cant follow a simple routine like SL and do proper form

Also you'll notice what I've come to term the "strength wall" at cross fit gyms

Which is how strong you get doing random strength movements without any programming. For most average sized adult males that's around 1/2/3/4 plate. Getting stronger than that doesn't happen from randomly squatting a random percentage of your 1rm then doing 100 kettelbell swings. There are some genetic freaks who can get jacked doing this but most people cant.

Also it's just actually retarded when they do program which is what finally frustrated me with it. We did this big "winter bulk strength" thing which was just our coach telling everyone to do 2 cycles of 5-3-1 without giving credit to jim Wendler. It was ridiculous because grown men who squatted like 185 were being told the best way to add strength in 2 months of bulking was an advanced intermediate monthly progression routine.

Again. Stay far away from cross fit gyms unless they have a legit weightlifting team based out of them which should be COMPLETELY SEPERATE from the retarded crossfitters rolling around on the floor doing 100 cat back deadlifts for time

Lol yes pounds.

What the fuck does a weak will have to do with proper form?

>I can't control my appetite
>I'll try a different program, that'll make a difference.

Dumbass. Do SL. Stop being retarded, learn the five exercises properly, and put down the fucking fork before I spoon you.

>Do SL
>injure yourself again

Super advice. Thanks bro.

If you're getting injured consistently from doing barbell movements, you have bad form. If you're getting injured consistently from doing barbell movements + progressive overload (in the form of weight), then you are placing more emphasis on increasing weight than you are on form, which is a huge mistake.

Crossfit is a huge waste of money and as you pointed out you cannot tell if you coach is quack or not until it's too late. For learning form (since you obviously don't know it), I recommend reading everything on the movements by Greg Nuckols. You shouldn't completely trust in guys like Ripp or Mehdi, but I haven't seen anything written by Nuckols that is not evidence based to some degree.

As for programs, download Nuckol's free 28 and do the beginner ones, or do candito. SS and SL are not useful for everybody.

Also what are your body stats and current lifts? PS, GOMAD is a meme, only meant for 100 lb teenagers

Thanks man, I appreciate your input. I did some digging and the crossfit coach here has a degree in Kinesiology, maybe I'll try to set up some personal lessons on just oly lifts and skip the crossfit stuff.

There were a couple of guys with good advice in this thread, sprinkled amongst the broscience "try harder" fagets.

Thanks broscience friend. I had zero luck teaching myself but I clearly didn't teach myself hard enough. I'll teach myself twice as hard and surely this time I won't get injured.

ripp wants to fuck me over?!?!

also OP is a faggot, who can't even learn proper form by himself, and acting like there aren't any rate my form threads, where experienced lifters could help you

Shit talking aside, I'm sure some crossfit gyms are good and others are not - just depends on who they're run by.

Man, SS and GOMAD might not be for you. Different programs work better for different people. Depending on how old you are and you experiences with physical labor, i would recommenced you focusing on isolation exercises before starting to pull heavy on compound lifts. The reason I advocate against a crossfit gym is because of the mental side of things. If you surround yourself with people pushing only like 225lbs in bench max then your brain will automatically not want to push further, back in the 80s/90s my father owned a gym in Serbia, what separated it from most was that the working weight was 180kgs for 15 or so guys who lifted NATTY. My dad at his strongest was able to push 240kgs in bench max which is a bit over 520lbs (He was lifting seriously at natty for about 10 years at this point). Lifting and overall improvement of ones self steams from the brain and once you overcome the mental roadblock and see that its possible the easy part is training. But whatever you decide to do OP its a good thing that you haven't given up even after your failing, thats more than most people can say...

God you sound like such a little bitch.

There are hundreds of videos online on proper workout form so just start light and stay light until the lifts feel natural or second nature. Lifting with good form isn't something that is easy, but if you take your time you'll be good to go.

>I had zero luck..

It's not about luck retard. If you tried teaching yourself and failed, it's not because you got unlucky. It's because you're a fucking retard