If I want to get fit for the military, should I just focus on bodyweight and running...

If I want to get fit for the military, should I just focus on bodyweight and running? or would some weight sessions be beneficial?

Other urls found in this thread:

rhinoden.rangerup.com/are-you-strong-enough-an-interview-with-mark-rippetoe/
youtube.com/watch?v=6nU8GcCHjww
benning.army.mil/tenant/75thRanger/content/PDF/RAW Handbook Final v4.pdf
t-nation.com/training/how-to-fix-special-forces-training
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

run.

aim for a perfect PT score.

run some more.

rhinoden.rangerup.com/are-you-strong-enough-an-interview-with-mark-rippetoe/

Some interesting advice besides the usual "go running and do push-ups"

tldr:
“But in a combat situation, a person’s deadlift is much more indicative of his value than his 5-mile time”–Mark Rippetoe

and you can do all the lifting you want when you're in.

there's a strong correlation between PT scores and advancement in the military. assuming you're not fucking retarded which is assumed since you're enlisting.

Not bothered about lifting but if it can help then I would include it.

thats because PT and CFT scores are part of getting promoted

oh yeah mark rippetoe is an expert in the millitary is he?

weight lifting is always beneficial just dont let it take precidence over runing and agility, its also easier to do that shit when your lighter.

Which nation's military are you joining?

Russian

RUN
THEN RUN SOME MORE
KEEP RUNNING
RUN MORE BITCH
AND RUN AGAIN

>oh yeah mark rippetoe is an expert in the millitary is he?
no, but he's an expert in strength training, and at least two officers have written articles on his site supporting his point. either way, he's actually qualified to give an opinion, unlike you.

Have fun lad youtube.com/watch?v=6nU8GcCHjww

train for a marathon
get that upper body strong enough that you don't get tired from bodyweight push ups

oh ive heard russian millitary is like prision complete with male on male sexual assualt and rape.

try this OP
benning.army.mil/tenant/75thRanger/content/PDF/RAW Handbook Final v4.pdf

oh wow a whole two officers.

The first one. The guys that do the best in the military are the otter mode guys who can run and carry shit around all day long. Your 1RMs don't mean shit here.

>oh ive heard russian millitary is like prision complete with male on male sexual assualt and rape.

yeah, it's tough but everything is. if you can't take care of yourself you're gonna get hurt one way or another.

>oh wow a whole two officers.
nice argument, faggot.

>benning.army.mil/tenant/75thRanger/content/PDF/RAW Handbook Final v4.pdf
is this a joke? this is public-gym-PT-level bullshit.

I wouldn't think so. Usually you'd be firing a weapon and being able to quickly get into a position or out of one would be more important. But what do I know.

no one cares about your gym stats in the military, ofcourse you got to have a good solid core, strong shoulders and legs which you can aquire very good in the gym but the before everything else you need to be able to march for days straight

your average power lifter in the gym would not be able to march with the soldiers

>Such regular changes to workouts force the body to continue adapting.

You must CONFUSE the muscles

This.
However I think nothing really prepares you for the millitary like the millitary does. For a regular joe the pace and intensity ,while sustainable ,is no joke. You need to be in a group ,and have someone shout on you to keep going. Or else your standards will always be lower than the guy with the drill instructor pushing him to do one last pull up ,and speed up on his 3 mile run

Guns are heavy man. Strength training won't hurt.

Strength is for sure important, but endurance is king.
Also, don't do bulking-cutting cycles like bodybuilders do. You're goal isn't to look good, you're training to be a better soldier, so scrap 'aesthetics' and focus on building strength and endurance. Abs don't help in fighting people nor do they stop bullets.

Do a normal weight training split that you'd normally go for, and just add bodyweight movements where it'd fit in best. Or just do pull ups, dips, and push ups three times a week on top. Then C25Kx1.

>pull ups, dips, and push ups three times a week

No, to get ready for the military do these five times a week and run five days a week just like when you get into the real military. Don't bother with weight lifting in the military all of the PT studs are skinny and barely lift since you don't get tested on how much you can squat or bench.

I don't know. He possibly means the ability to heft around ammo, haul your bodyweight + gear over walls and obstacles and possibly needing to carry a full man + his gear quickly out of line of fire.

Yeah you have to lift heavy shit, but generally it all comes down to stamina. You can't be huffing and puffing and feeling like you need to lay down when you're in combat.

>hungry skeleton fights off three wild slavs

You probably want to starvation tier light but heavy enough to not fuck up your back hauling 90lbs+ of gear around with it.

You a Russian or are you a foreigner joining the Russian foreign legion?

Military PT tests are a relic and the only thing you need it to do is run and push ups. Just run. They're dumb easy

What I did to prep for basic was

Workout A: 2 mile run sub 16 mins, push ups for 2 mins straight even doing girly pushups if needed 3 times, sit ups for 2 mins straight 3 times.

Workout B: Full body Squat and deadlift rotated in and out, bench, row, OHP, pull ups, rear delt work. Rear delt work helps since you want em healthy for all the " The suns out time to push" or " I don't like how that cloud looks time to start pushing". Oh and some LISS cardio Walk or swim

Do one day on one day off and rotate between A and B

Bodyweight and conditioning are great

But I'd also incorporate machine or barbells for your legs

Look up running routines that high school distance runners use to train.

Do solely bodyweight exercises and modify them using the various charts floating around this board.

>But what do I know.

I'm glad you ended with that

i hope you dont get raped user

Wait are people in this thread saying strength training is not beneficial for being in the military? Surely it couldnt hurt, right?

Unless you're carrying missiles and torpedos around I doubt strength training is necessary.

If you're a pog nerd then just run your ass off all day for high fitness scores and ez promotions.

Proper combat fitness depends entirely on your job. If you're a rifleman it's a lot different than if you're a tanker or arty or something.

If you're in the infantry, and you go to combat all bulked up, you'll fucking regret the fuck out of it. Do cardio and strength training. Squats and weighted lunges are good, strong lower backs and cores are necessary too to bear weight. In country you're gonna be carrying over a hundred pounds of shit, and you really gotta be an all around beast, but if you're like bodybuilder mode that's a ton of extra weight on top of your loadout. Don't train chest or arms as much because they don't help you carry shit. ISIS doesn't care about your aesthetics brah.

When I went to Iraq one of my buddies was a 249 gunner and he could hardly stay with patrols because he had to carry all his muscles on top of his heavy ass loadout for hours on end. Fuck that.

If you're mounted, get big. The easier it is to move heavy ass ammo and vehicle parts and people and shit, the better. You're not gonna have to run unless shit really hits the fan, in which case the adrenaline will help you.

Do you guys think that I will loose my gains in the military? I am fairly confident that if I get enough calories and keep lifting that I can keep them especially during the first 3 months which are "basic training"

I don't weigh a lot so there's that, 80 kg at 6' which is why I think I could probably hold onto it at least, it's also not the Russian army of which I am sure it would fuck me up

Pic related

Doing cardio all day isn't very beneficial either.

I think I am in a very good spot, I don't lift heavy (except for my OHP which is 68 kg for 2 at 80kg BW) . Deadlift about 120, I almost killed myself once squatting 100kg 1 RM out of nowhere (I had a rack that day and usually did Squats with my OHP weight) and I bench around 80-90

I also cycle and can do cardio pretty well so I think my body is not an obstacle yet

I am OP and British as shown by the Flag on the pics jacket.

what gains

what military are you joining?

Is it a bad idea to join the military if I am a shut in?

So you want to be a badass? Say you have one year. Bulk for six months and lift. You need to be as strong as possible to handle shit like ruckks with a 70lb pack and doing buddy training wi th mates, then spend 6 months doing body weight and running with 2 liftin days to maintain so you can build endurance which is all military is

most military do actually publish what they are searching for, and what they expect of new recruits.

In any case, you need to prepare for long marches, which is usually the hardest part.

Ritussian army pays really really bad, and you give up all your personal freedom. Wouldn't do it

Wow it's fucking nothing

It's not that hard. But Army is not as fun at many people think it is, so there are a lot of drop-outs.
Also this is only the pre-entry assessment, it gets harder when you're in.

>battles last hours sometimes days
>need to operate under high fatigue
>needs to run around during battle, and patrol, when not on guard then rest comes, but this rest can turn into hours of fighting at any time

hurr durr 5rm on a deadlift is more important than endurance.

Warfare is endurance...pure delusion when i heart fat fucks spiut this bullshit

if you cant understand why pointing out only 2 officers out of the thousands support the work then i dont know what to do for you.

reposting a comment I found under the article

The problem (at least based on my experience) is with the officers egos. Most of them tend to come from an endurance background. We went to the weight room ONCE, and never went back. It didn't bode too well for their ego when they saw privates with football backgrounds benching 300 when they could barely do 135. So instead of improving their strength, they went straight back to distance running because that's where they shined. The bottom line was, if they couldn't beat or at least compete with the enlisted, then we simply just never did it again... we went to war with a large percentage of our guys barely able to get around in all of their gear, but hey, we could all run 10 miles in short shorts.

>should I just focus on bodyweight and running? or would some weight sessions be beneficial?

most of the work is marching, so if you want to be fit for the military I would recommend running and mountaineering. especially mountaineering is the best training you can get for the army.

>most of the work is marching
all of the work is marching I would say, in the army we did have a gym and trained there, but honestly a good solider was a soldier that could run and most importantly march for a day without fatigue.

soldiers that can march at a fast pace are essential for military actions, because of having a better edge in troop movement capacities than your adversary.

strength is unnecessary, you are not killing people with your sword, and unless you are a heavy you won't be lifting or carrying a lot of weight with you.

>what is tabbing
>cardio is only running
Are you a soccer mom?

>“But in a combat situation, a person’s deadlift is much more indicative of his value than his 5-mile time”–Mark Rippetoe

LEL, NO.

unless you are getting assfucked by iraqis and you want to make a manevaure of ripping the guys dick off with your buttocks there is no need for deadlift in a combat situation. if you had stamina however you wouldn't be in the buttfuck situation in the first place.

t-nation.com/training/how-to-fix-special-forces-training

Another interesting read that covers a lot of the Arguments already promoted in this Thread.

If I were you, i would lift 2 times/week with an alternating full body split and some bodyweight stuff, run at least 3 times/week and stretch a lot.
This way you would build a solid Strength foundation and also develop enough endurance.

TLDR: The Author says that
1. Crossfit,
2. Getting Really Big, Strong, and Powerful and 3. Ruck, Swim, Run Until You Drop
are NOT ideal to prep for the Military.
According to the Author the Focus should lie on

Running
Swimming
Rucking
Climbing
MMA Drills
Injury Prevention
Muscular Endurance
Relative Strength

The Author himself is former Canadian SF or something like that.

Pushups, pullups, situps and squats 4 times a week, run 3. Stay on a caloric deficit. Strength won't help you in bootcamp, endurance will. and you're going to want as little bodyweight bouncing on your feet all day as possible.

Cъeбиcь

ebin

give us some numbers. what kind of standards do you have to meet once you're in, in terms of push-ups, mile run-time or whatever metric they use?

german

looks like you'd come out of that a fucking savage