Was Tito really benevolent?

Was Tito really benevolent?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XRyaYXI7SHY&t
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Everytime I saw him on a side-profile and/or a bw-image I think I see Goering

so no

He has the face of a nice guy but then I remember he was a tyrant who oppressed his people.

sorta. He is directly responsible for the collapse of Yugoslavia and the conflict that ensued. Though, he did manage to keep the balkans out of most major conflicts.

Are we gonna see le Tito looks like Goering meme in every thread about the Yugoslavian tyrant?

He was a tyrant who oppressed his people.

I've read quite a lot of conflicting reports about Tito. That's to be expected with all the factions involved but it get too confusing when trying to find out what his real goals were.It depends on who you ask.
Croats will say that he was a Tyrant that oppressed Croatia and represented Serb interests and wanted to dissolve their nation in an evil artificial construct.
Serbs will say that he was a Tyrant that oppressed Serbia and represented Croat interests and wanted to divide their nation into as many entities as possible.

His Yugoslavia allowed a Montenegrin and Muslim identity, the autonomous regions, the 1974 constitution and overall a very large degree of autonomy. This Yugoslavia seemed more like a collection of nations temporarily bound together by the regime rather than "a" nation that was supposed to last forever like the prewar version tried tried to be.
Did Tito really want a united Yugoslavia to last or was he somehow, even subconsciously, preparing it for destruction?
t. non-yugoslav

when were they oppressed?

Better than Stalin, at least.

Reminder that Tito and Goering were never seen in the same room together.

he also completely bungled the relief of the 6th Army which partially led to their capture

There was that prison island for example.

Well, there was a whole of White Russians migrating here, don't recall much about Mongols coming in the 30's to Serbia.

>le Goli otok

The prison was only for a select few political and social dissidents, it wasn't anything like the soviet gulag system which swallowed up milions.
The communist regime in yugoslavia was very opressive in the early years, especially during and right after the war, creating rather large mass graves of political dissidents, "wrong" ethnicities and just personal enemies of whoever was in charge of the firing squad.
There was still a lot of repression in the fifties, people couldn't cross the border, political dissidents were locked up, italian minorities expelled and so on.
But eventually the regime really eased up and by the 70s people who were openly against the regime were only gently pushed to the side of society and people who joined the communist party gained some political/economical/social boons.

I mean, there were punk bands calling out the degeneracy and corruptness of the regime (alegorically mind you) even in the 70s and the worst they got was a night spent in jail at the local police station.

What are you talking about?
My mom who grew up in the 70s and 80s literally had friends that were sent to jail for a long period of time just because they expressed westernized opinions. My grandpa almost ended up in jail because he refused to move to Macedonia when the government forced him to do it.
Could you please link me to the information that the 70s were not that bad?
>I mean, there were punk bands calling out the degeneracy and corruptness of the regime (alegorically mind you) even in the 70s and the worst they got was a night spent in jail at the local police station.
Please post those songs. I can only think of that time Nele Karajlic yelled something like fuck Tito or whatever because there was a piece of equipment That had a similar name to him and it broke down on stage. He had to hang up pictures of Tito on his wall because the police immediately went to his house after that.

The country was pretty chill for a dictatorship.

The prison island talked about in the thread was working for about a decade, somewhere after WW2, and it held suspected pro-Soviet communists at a moment when a completely hostile Warsaw Pact had its troops all around the Yugoslav border, poised to attack at any moment. Can't exactly blame the leadership for being paranoid about that.

>Decade
It was operational until 1989.

Nele Karajlic joked, that the Marshall died, using a derogatory informal word, the Marshall amp died.
Crko instead of umro or preminuo (last one being most in line with passed away).

CHAD TITO vs virging stalin.
Why was stalin such a pleb compared to TITO?

youtube.com/watch?v=XRyaYXI7SHY&t

The question is: are dictators ever a good thing?