Science!

Greetings, gentlemen.
A friend of mine has a patent for an edible bioluminescent protein. His shit is really impressive but he struggles to make money with it. I'd like to help him (and get paid somehow in the process) but I don't have a clue about anything because I'm a dumb squid kek.

What do you all think, enlightened Veeky Forumsnessmen?

Make a shitcoin that transacts bioluminescent protein on the blockchain

Here are some of the things he can do with it (with some limitations of course) : bath powders, body lotions, gels, powders and creams, nail polishes, make-up, toothpastes and other dentifrices, soaps, body paints, and bubble bath; items such as inks, paper; foods, such as gelatins, popcorn, icings and frostings, textiles that glow, ink that glows, paints, particularly fingerpaints, that glow, paper products that glow, toys, particularly reloadable squirt guns that eject a bioluminescent fluid, dolls and dummies with internal organs or parts that glow, figurines and novelty items that glow; toy "cigarettes" that produce glowing "smoke" upon exhalation, toy eggs with glowing yolks and/or whites, toy footbags that glow and toy board and card games with glowing parts, such as glowing cards, dice, game boards, etc.; foods and beverages that glow, soapy compositions for blowing bubbles that produce bubbles that glow, bubble bath compositions that produce bubbles that glow, fountains that expel glowing fluid, bioluminescent "fireworks", sparklers, magic-wand toys, you name it.

how do you patent something that already exists?

It's against my religion to do that.

*applications.
My bad>

Eh...fluorescent proteins are edible by default, hence why they're so widely used for in vivo experiments.

I don't know.
I just know he has a patent.
But I don't know shit about patent tho, since I'm not from usa.

EP 1490439 A1 (text from WO2003082989A1)
ABSTRACT
The present invention discloses a process of extraction, purification and characterization of a natural eco-friendly nontoxic cell permeant multiple fluorescent protein dye from a non bioluminescent marine echinoderm Holothuria scabra, compositions containing the dye and various applications of the dye.

What I mean is, how does it work?
You have to get in touch with manufacturers and distributors I guess?

It's probably a smart idea to just contact all kinds of research institutes...Like I said, fluorescent proteines have its uses in research, if its a cheaper alternative than the ones currently used it might have potential.

>meals prepared on the Blockchain

>research
so you mean to say that the only outcome from all his research would be more research?
also, what kind of research institutes?
(total noob here btw)

yeahhhhh nooooo. I study medicinal chemistry. The fluorescent molecules we use are highly specialized and proven to work through thousands and thousands of experiments. Next to the fact that there are numerous other players/molecules out there. Highly doubtful that you're going to penetrate that market.

Next to the fact that when you're going to deal with pharmaceutics/molecules you're going to have to prove that your shit is the shit. This is going to cost a lot of money and requires you to either have the correct people who know what they are doing or you should know what you're doing.

Yeah...I didn't think about that. Then I guess making glow in the dark cookies is out of the question too.

That's what I was thinking.
Also:

What is claimed is:
1. A combination, comprising:
a) an article of manufacture; and
b) one or more components of a bioluminescence generating system and/or a fluorescent protein, whereby the combination is a novelty item selected from among personal care items, dentifrices, soaps, body paints and powders, and bubble baths.

I'm not even sure what that means desu

Ice cream is ok
But cooking the cookies would kill the protein

Also beer, wine, champagne, soft drinks, and ice cubes

Too much alcool would also kill the protein

I have an idea, but im not going to post it, instead ill make millions myself. thanks

That's pretty awesome desu can def see him making a fortune if he plays his cards right.

Sell it so michelin chef, they are constantly coming up with weird edgy dishes, I am sure making a dish that is visible in the dark will make them jizz their pants, and they have lots of money so they will probably pay a fortune for the ingredient.

Well, except you can't because its patented?Well, except that's what everybody has been saying for years?
Well, except it looks radioactive and everybody nowadays want to eat healthy and authentic?

No no no. As long as you stick to non-pharma it's fine. Everything that has to do with food, drinks or supplements has shit regulation.

Personally I would explore the consumer section more. I've been lying in bed trying to come up with smth but I just cannot think of anything right now.

Also, there is a problem here (possibly your biggest), unless you mean fluorescence (FL) instead of bio-luminescence (BL), how are you going to activate the protein?

BL costs energy. It is literally the creation of light using biologically created energy. Hence the most used reporter protein is luciferase, used by fireflies which use a different protein to activiate luciferase.

FL on the other hand absorbs light and subseuently emmits a different light e.g. blue.

So unless I am missing smth here BL is not going to work because it requires energy to work.

>activate the protein?
water does it

The present invention discloses a process of extraction, purification and characterization of a natural eco-friendly nontoxic cell permeant multiple fluorescent protein dye from a non bioluminescent marine echinoderm Holothuria scabra, compositions containing the dye and various applications of the dye.

Finally some legit entrepreneurship on Veeky Forums. Go on Shark Tank

The preferred bioluminescence-generating reactions are performed by adding oxygen (or water containing oxygen) or calcium ions or other appropriate metal ion to luciferin and luciferase mixtures using apparatus and systems as described herein. Apparatus, systems and substrates for generating the bioluminescence are provided. The systems include matrix materials that are coated with bioluminescence generating reagents, capsular vehicles containing the reagents and single chamber and multiple chamber apparatus containing the reagents. The matrix materials are used, for example, in the fabrication of clothing items and also in the loading cartridges described herein.

So water oxidizes the protein or smth? Mkay

Then another question: what is the half life of the protein in its activated state? If the protein is acitivated by water that means it is activated by the air surrounding it. Doesn't this cause dye to "die" out before the product reaches the consumer?

Methods and compositions for producing bioluminescence in combination with the novelty items are also provided. Micro- and macro-capsular vehicles containing bioluminescence generating reagents are provided. The capsular vehicles are capsules, such as liposomes, isolated endosomes, isolated vacuoles, gelatin capsules, and other such delivery vehicles, and the apparatus include vessels, and single chamber, dual chamber and three chamber or more apparatus. These vehicles encapsulate bioluminescence generating system reagents, and typically contain less than all of the reagents necessary to generate a bioluminescent reaction. The capsular vehicles include vehicles often used for drug delivery, such as liposomes, and time release capsules; and also capsules made of glass, plastic and other such materials.

For example, the bioluminescence generating reagents (or components) may be coated on the inside of a glass container, such as a glass capillary tube [see, e.g., U.S. Pat. No. 5,387,526]. Upon addition of a composition containing the necessary activating agents, such as molecular oxygen, ATP, a reductase, Ca2+ [or other suitable metal ion], the coating will be contacted with the activator and will produce a glow. The capsular vehicles are intended for use in combination with the articles of manufacture.

For example, the bioluminescence generating reagents (or components) may be coated on the inside of a glass container, such as a glass capillary tube [see, e.g., U.S. Pat. No. 5,387,526]. Upon addition of a composition containing the necessary activating agents, such as molecular oxygen, ATP, a reductase, Ca2+ [or other suitable metal ion], the coating will be contacted with the activator and will produce a glow. The capsular vehicles are intended for use in combination with the articles of manufacture.

>Doesn't this cause dye to "die" out before the product reaches the consumer?
It seems to be a problem indeed.
You have to 'activate' the luminescent thing with water and it dies out after a while.

Ah yeah. But literally water or oxidated water?

I think we know the same guy...

any water
or saliva

yep
he's balding now tho

yo

Yeah thought so. Pfew um trying to think of a smth you can do as a next step.

Do you guys know anyone in science i.e. chemistry, pharma, biophysics? Cause what I would personally do is literally contacting these people or simply academics and discuss the idea with a focus on the consumer market (everyone in those fields are too busy to steal your idea don't worry, you can easily discuss it with them).

Or what you could do is read articles regarding these subject focused on consumer goods.

All in all, I think this needs to be guided towards the consumer market not pharma or smth like that.

no idea
i'm not a scientist
i was just asking Veeky Forums about the consumer market angle desu