Are torpedos obsolete, if so when did they get outclassed

Are torpedos obsolete, if so when did they get outclassed

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VA-111_Shkval
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nah.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VA-111_Shkval

this shit is literally a rocket. UNDERWATER.

Why do you need a underwater rocket when an air rocket would hit faster. You could probably intercept a torpedo the same way?

>you could probably intercept a torpedo the same way

Most anti-missile tech in use is either decoys and other passive stuff (which is laregly ineffective) or automated guns that spray lead at approaching missiles. The automated guns don't really work well underwater.

It's also generally more effective to use a torpedo against a ship than to hit it with a missile. Most modern ships can tank a hit from a missile (except carriers). If the hit comes above the waterline the ship is probably going to be able to limp back to port. Torpedos don't actually try and hit the ship though. An optimal torpedo detonation is /under/ the ship. The shockwave from the explosion 'breaks the ship's back', compromising the structural integrity of the whole thing and opening cracks amidship.

Because you can see and intercept air rockets. At this point, as far as I know, only the US is fielding active anti-torpedo systems on ships and I don't think even the US has them everywhere yet.

Water works as a natural defense for a torpedo and underwater explosions also do more damage.

It's harder to intercept a torpedo,and torpedos are way more effective.
While missiles can be intercepted using the spartan system or other missile defense systems,not many things can stop a literal underwater missile.
Torpedos also one hit ships,because they don't actually Hit the ship,but rather detonate under it,forming a huge air bubble which implodes,breaking the ship in to halves in the process

Nope. If there's ever a big shooting war between major blue water navies, submarines will still be very important.
Pic very related. Still the only kill by a nuclear submarine. After the sinking the entire Argentine navy was confined to port for the rest of the war. They knew heading out to sea was futile in the absence of proper anti-submarine capability.

Modern torpedoes are kind of ridiculous. Instead of puncturing the side of a ship directly, they go directly underneath the ship's hull and explode just below the midsection, splitting the entire ship in half. It's a guaranteed 1 hit kill.

That's been how they've been designed since WW2 though, the magnetic pistols just had issues (Mark 14, G7e)

No

If I'm not mistaken they're still the best weapon against submarines, which in turn are the best weapon against ships.
/k/ style threads are way better on Veeky Forums than /k/, they're surprisingly free of bait (excluding tiger/T-34/Sherman bait)

To add on to your point, a below the water line strike to a ship will cause severe damage and force it to sit in port for months for repairs. Meanwhile, an explosion below the ship, if large enough, will break the ship's keel. Once the keel is either broken or bent, the ship is effectively irreparable and is scrapped.

Add to this that homing torpedoes are often the most effective way to attack a submarine under most circumstances.

>torpedoes don't actually try
>3773429
>torpedoes make anti-ship bubbles
>torpedoes force ships to sit
Torpedoes

>other passive stuff (which is laregly ineffective)

Torpedoes aren't exactly obsolete, but they aren't the only option that a submarine has for attacking anymore. Many modern submarines have the ability to fire anti-ship cruise missiles. How exactly a captain of a submarine would decide whether to fire a torpedo or instead decide to fire an anti-ship missile is beyond me. I imagine that there are strengths and weaknesses to both systems, but I couldn't tell you what those are.

Are there surface ships that use hull mounted torpedo tubes, or are they all mounted on the deck?

Imagine one of those carrying a nuke hitting an aircraft carrier
God the cold war is so cool

Could happen again. Supposedly a few years ago a previously undetected Chinese submarine surfaced in very close proximity to a U.S. carrier group just to spite them.

Launching this on the bearing you detect a torpedo launch might spook the enemy into severing his guidance wire and booking it.

>Supposedly
thats the most important part.
IT DIDN'T, PLAN attack subs get pinged to shit by our P8is before they get anywhere near our waters, I could only imagine USN's P8As lighting them up far sooner.