What happened to the Zoroastrians after the caliphs took over?

What happened to the Zoroastrians after the caliphs took over?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paduspanids
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mardavij
youtube.com/watch?v=XkINjqLet-U
youtube.com/watch?v=3XUPZokMb6A
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

they got PEACE'D

I assume the same as everywhere else - the population slowly converts to that of their rulers in order to gain benefits such as positions in civil/military service, tax relief or because that's the only religion allowed to preach anymore so when people go looking for faith it's naturally where they end up?

They realised they were wrong and peacefully converted to the true religion

Forced conversion, conversion over time, death.

There is still a Zoroastrian minority in Yazd, Iran. They were just taxed more and given dhimmi status. They were occasionally persecuted too.

Local Zoroastrian dynasties in Tabaristan persisted until around 15th to 16th century CE. Check Paduspanids.

Weird syncretic forms of Islam combining Zoroastrianism also existed. Check Shahab al-Din Suhrawardi as an example.

Why are you people so fucking stupid? Why do you comment on shit you don't know about. A Zoroastrian minority still exists in Yazd, Iran. They even have a fire temple.

I'm really sick and tired of Veeky Forums developing an avid fascination with us. Seriously, go fucking KILL YOURSELVES. You are such fucking idiots that you don't even open a book before talking shit.

It depends on the caliphate. Either forcefully convert the Zoroastrians or let them flee, or let them pay the jizya tax and eventually convert on their own volition.

Nothing. Most people and even nobles continued to practice it, majority for several centuries deterred by soft ceiling and benefits of converting to Islam.

If anything, the conquest of Persia by Turkroaches and Mongols changed the dynamic, as Shia islam became a focal point of liberation from dirty horsefuckers.

Unlike European paganism.

Yazd were recently massacred by ISIS there are still some around...

Sad! Kurds are very brotier race

>There is still a Zoroastrian minority in Yazd, Iran
I know i had a Zoroastrian iranian gf actually

>Most people and even nobles continued to practice it, majority for several centuries deterred by soft ceiling and benefits of converting to Islam.
source

> What happened to the Zoroastrians after the caliphs took over?

They were more persecuted than Christians or Jews because they were not a people of the Book, but they still remained for some times because of their sheer numbers.

It was the overtaking of the steppe turkscum that made their lives miserable, as they started wiping out anyone they could, because they are not human, but beasts.

>source
Paduspanids:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paduspanids

Local dynasties in Tabaristan persisted until arrival of Safavids

They just slowly, gradually declined. It was the fastest in the Arabic Iraq, because it was settled with Arabs. In Khorasan and Ajami Iraq (roughly corresponding to modern Persia) they were the majority of populace for a long time. Strong Zoroastrian resistance is largely a myth, many Sassanid strongholds surrendered and their leaders converted. The general populace didn't really have a strong identification with Zoroastrianism initially - over time it changed though. In more isolated areas Zoroastians continued to be rulers even under Islam - Afrighids ruled Khwarazm from Sassanid times until like 1000 ad, and it was only in 9th century when they converted to Islam.

The general population was persecuted and formed the backbone of most forms of resistance. They supported the Abbasid revolution and overthrow of the Umayyads. The Zoroastrian uprising of Khurramites was mostly caused by the execution of the early pro-Abbasid leader Abu Muslim who was obviously a Muslim. The Khurramite uprising lasted for some 40 years. A lot of social movements blended Zoroastrianism and Islam. Some of them even extended beyond Iran - the most important is Qarmatians who extended into Arabia and waged a terrorist war against caliphs. Nominally Shi'a Muslim, at one point they elected a Persian as their leader who ordered them to curse Muhammad and worship the fire First Man Adam instead. They went on to capture Mecca, steal the Black Stone and soil the Zamzam well with excrement.

A lot of Zoroastrian dynasties remained in the more distant areas, such as Mazandaran and Tabaristan (mountains roughly near modern Tehran). During the Xth century Persian revival, the Ziyarids from this area took power and reconquered most of Persia under the anti-Muslim ruler Mardavij. He was murdered before solidifying his claim, and his successors were Muslim branch of the family, but in name only - they all wanted to restore the Sassanid empire basically.

Persecutions against the clergy and Zoroastrian religious leaders lead to a erosion slowly of Zoroastrian dominance in Iranian lands over two centuries or so. Last I read, Persians became nominally "majority" Islamic by the late 10th/early 11th century, so it took almost 500 years for Zoroastrian to fade away. Larger groups of surviving Zoroastrian sects migrated to Central Asia where they within a couple centuries were either a) killed by Turkic raiders and other Steppe peoples b) converted to Buddhism or Hinduism or c) eventually converted to Islam. Only a few major holdouts survive in Iran like the enclaves in Yazd and parts of Tehran. But one of the major factors after the two centuries of silence is that Sunni Islamic rulers and later Umayyads and the more tolerant Abbasids, gave benefits and advantages to converts. It simply became more economical to not get charged extra taxes for being Zoroastrian or Christian and have more fringe benefits as a proper Islamic citizen.

In the tug of war, the Ziyarids were replaced by the Buyids who were Zaydi Shi'a Persians. The Buyid rulers, even though Muslim, cultivated the Persian culture. They subjugated the Abbasid caliphs and made a mockery out of them - one of the later rulers even humiliated the caliph by forcing him to crown him with the title of shahanshah (which was obviously un-Islamic and a heresy to the poor caliph), using the ancient Sassanian rituals. Those rulers and other similar dynasties like Samanids followed the Persian culture and language. This "Persian interlued" was however broken by the invasion of Seljuqs who solidified the claim of Islam on the land and prevented any actual Persians from ruling all of Iran until the Islamic Revolution basically.

From then on they slowly declined. All kinds of foreign invasions by steppe peoples didn't help either. They suffered in the forced Shi'a conversion of Iran by the Safavids too. By XVIth century they were a minority in most Iranian lands.

tl;dr: Zoroastrians were persecuted but had a lot of political and military agency even 350 years after the conquest. Iran might have gone the way of Georgia, where temporary islamization was quickly swept away by national revival, but the Seljuqs happened.

And to clarify by saying Zoroastrian I don't mean just the mainstream Zoroastrianism, but all Iranian Mazdaic religions - Afrighids were adherents of Soghdian version Zoroastrianism, and Khurammites were Mazdakist.

>Safavids

Relax they are paid to force a certain narrative that's why we cant have nice things.

>us
kill yourself you short brown hooknose arab worshipping subhuman turko-mongol mongrel

I don't think all of them are paid.

Improve your reading comprehension. Nothing I said in that post was pro-Muslim.

You forgot to mention Paduspanids who remained Zoroastrian until 15th century CE:

yazd was ruled over by a persian house so of course they didn't get genocided. doesn't mean the post you replied to was wrong.

Paduspanids were literally a small clan ruling over a small area in Caspian bordering northcentral province of Persia/modern day Iran. They were advanced, highly educated, and tough fuckers but they ruled over a small minority.

This fucker if he wasn't assassinated, Mardvaji, might've actually fully turned Iran from Islam entirely and set up another dynasty paralleling the Sassanians. Worst timeline.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mardavij

Read it.

I replied to two posts. Which post are you referring to was wrong?

the one i first replied to you on fuckhead

You fucking in-bred imbecile. I couldn't tell which one you responded to because there is no ID on Veeky Forums.

Why would I be an "arab worshipping.." when I am defending Zoroastrian tradition? You are such a fucking idiot. Go away, low IQ scum.

The way he died is depressing. He was making great progress towards his goals.

yazidi Is different to yazd

I replied to you about this post There was nothing wrong about it and you told the poster to fuck off and that he was wrong. Fuck you for trying to turn this around on me you muslim filth.

>murdered by his own Turkish slaves in 935

>t*rk destroyed any hope of modern Persian or Roman empires

one more reason to nuke Anatolia

Your post is wrong because it assumes Zoroastrianism ended. It became a minority religion in Yazd, Iran and other areas.

Germanic paganism was entirely decimated by Christianization whereas in the case of Iran, Zoroastrianism is still a living tradition dating to Sassanian era.

>Your post is wrong because it assumes Zoroastrianism ended.
>Implying that was my post
>implying I think that
If you say so.

>mardvaji could have restored the persian empire
>julian could have saved the roman empire
this is the worst timeline

You said, "Forced conversion, conversion over time, death." The word "death" implies Zoroastrianism died. It did not.

desu those Turks probably weren't even Muslims at that point, they killed him for some other bullshit reason probably. The Oghuz Turks who served in the Middle Eastern armies en masse only converted in late Xth century, and the first Karakhanid (Karluk branch) sultan only converted to Islam a year before Mardavij was killed.

>The word "death" implies Zoroastrianism died
Death implies zoroastrians were killed, not that it died, but I can see how you made such a simple mistake.

Did Mardavij follow Orthodox Zoroastrianism or was he influenced by the Khurramites, who were more of an outgrowth of Mazdakism?

Mazdakis weren't too big in tabarestan, so probably orthodox

There probably wasn't a single orthodoxy those days. And even today orthodox Zoroastrians differ from late Sassanid priesthood who were most likely Zuvranist.
But being a nobleman from an established line he probably wasn't any of the "red" (to borrow Shariati's term), egalitarian religions.

Zurvanism always struck me as being somewhat Satanic in its implications. Do you think there's any truth to the Leo figure from Mithraism being based on Zurvan?

Mithraic Mysteries have about as much in common with Zoroastrianism as Reformed Neo Buddhism from "Community" with its Laser Lotuses and cryogenic chambers had with actual Buddhism.
The Romans just took some names and general ideas and then built an extortion scheme around it that later turned into an esoterical religion. Not to mention they were more likely to interact with Armenian, Syrian and Mesopotamian (Commagene etc) cults of Mithra than with actual Zoroastrianism.

From my research, I do believe Mithraic Mysteries had many strong parallels with Iranian religions. How much have you read of Roman Mithraism? There was a lot of influence both ways.

Literally the only three things we know for certain about Mithraic beliefs - the birth of Mithras from the rock, the killing of the bull, the banquet with Sol - have no equivalent in Zoroastrian belief whatsoever. And Mithras being born is totally contrary to the Zoroastrian Mithra who was a created yazata.

Now I'm not ruling out some connection with variant versions of the Iranian religion, especially the ones practiced in Syria, Armenia or Cilicia - indeed the very first mention of "mysteries of Mithras" is in relation to the cult followed by Cilician pirates.

>the birth of Mithras from the rock, the killing of the bull, the banquet with Sol
We know more than that. They had seven grades of initiation (one of which was even called "Persian"), they wore animal masks that influenced some Persian celebration, they believed that after Mithras slayed the bull there was a cyclical creation of Time with light vs darkness and more, its elements mixing in a bowl created Cosmos (i.e., a sort of meta-commentary on IE myths in general), and more. Their lion-figure Leos also resembles Ahriman.

Are there any books that you can recommend on the subject?

>Born to a Zoroastrian family native to Gilan, Mardavij was an anti-Muslim, who sought to revive the Sasanian Empire which was conquered in the 7th century by the Muslims. He first started his career by joining the army of his kinsman Asfar ibn Shiruya. Mardavij, however, later betrayed and killed him, conquering much of Jibal. He then set out to conquer Hamadan, Dinavar and Isfahan from the Abbasid Caliphate, and thereafter declared himself king of Iran, making Isfahan his capital.
>He then defeated the Daylamite military leader Makan ibn Kaki, and conquered Tabaristan in 932. By 934, his authority was acknowledged as far as Shiraz, and Ahvaz. However, his goal of recreating the Persian Empire was ruined when he was murdered by his own Turkish slaves in 935.
Fucking feels.
Orthodox Zoroastrianism, Zurvanism was never in the high among the mainstream Zoroastrian views. So more than likely he was a fairly conservative one who probably didn't like Mazdakism or Zurvanism.

>Banquest of Sol
This sounds stunning similar to Nowrooz.

nice

Bump

Nice. That's incredibly rare you should have kept her.

>He then defeated the Daylamite military leader Makan ibn Kaki, and conquered Tabaristan in 932. By 934, his authority was acknowledged as far as Shiraz, and Ahvaz. However, his goal of recreating the Persian Empire was ruined when he was murdered by his own Turkish slaves in 935.

Persian cucked by Kara Boğa

Why are T*rks larping as Africans?

Nah, it's niggers larping as T*rks.

Why are niggers larping as cockroaches?

>lürp
kys
browse /int/ and /pol more faggot

we Turks started this movement, and we will never stop

>Murdered by roaches.
Typical.

People found out they wasn't kangz, so now they would rather pretend to be insects.

In other words how the Jews are winning.

whites are lower than insects
not sure what are you even on about desu. also "kangz" lmao. crackers were living in caves when blacks were in Ancient Egypt.

also are you an amerimutt?

Kek

>3776873
oh nvm it's replying to itself.
subhuman amerimutt.

I don't speak cockroach, what are you saying?

I am saying you're a white subhuman. I would literally break your bones and neck for being a white subhuman near me in real life.

now gtfo here before i stick your keyboard up your ass, you yacubite subhuman.

I wonder what their game is... didn't the Jews view Cyrus the Great as a saviour or something. Would be preferable in some ways to have a stronger Zoroastrian presence.

>A Zoroastrian minority still exists in Yazd, Iran.
Lmao might as well point to modern European paganism as evidence that Christianity didn't eliminate it

I love wrecking crackers on Veeky Forums
I must remind their place, hate it when they try to act superior but irl they're a dying race

The Zoroastrian minority in Yazd is a living tradition that has preserved rituals and beliefs dating to Sassanian era.

Eternal Kara Boğa

Any race which lives primarily in a cosmopolitan society will eventually find itself subsumed

niiiice

I don't speak cockroach, what are you saying, Turk?

I'm saying it clearly now listen to me:
we're replacing your inferior race in Europe and USA (Usa is 56% done)
soon we will start beheading whites in their own countries in the name of Allah
You, as a white, are inferior to me and i'd be able to make you cry like a whore for being subhuman near me irl. Just like in the video, a Turk can easily crush any kind of cracker because crackers are racially inferior.

Do you understand me now, low iq white so-called person :DDDDDDD. Do you want me to hit you in the head to make you understand better, son of a white woman?

By the way state your ethnicity. If you're an Amerimutt subhuman then i'll stop calling you a white subhuman. Whites and Amerimutts are different species. Amerimutts are slightly more subhuman due to their mongrel genetics and them being a sperm cocktail of 60 peoples.

>son of a white woman
i'll use that insult instead of son of a whore from now on :-DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

>Paduspanids
They were Muslims since the early 15th century, lad

it could be the Iranboo German. If it's indeed the German then explains his inferiority complex towards TÜRKs. We bully them too hard in their own country.

I don't speak your insect language, what are you saying?

You do realize that the most of the non-white increase is hispanic, right?

I am saying: whites are subhumans.
is it too hard to understand 3 words, insect?
also answer All non whites are brothers in arms, Amerimutt.

I don't speak your insect language, T*rd, what are you saying?

>All non whites are brothers in arms, Amerimutt.

What's that they say about assumptions? Also you're very wrong.

Insects usually get crushed
But i see whites getting crushed here, hence you're insect
now stop projecting your inferiority onto me, birdshit. :-DDDDDDDDD

Oh shit the media be covering up the ISIS takeover of Iran!!

I still can't understand you.

>I still can-
pfft. bantering whites is boring as fuck. they're repetitive. wish yakub added some interesting stuff s.mh

It might help if you take the cock out of your mouth, otherwise your words remain continually indecipherable.

Your nation hasn't been relevant since the 17th century. Your ancestors were defeated and bent by russians, enslaved by great powers and dismantled by arabs. Yours is the face of defeat

t. Turk whose country is headed by a non-ethnic Turk, turning into a Sunni shithole theology and everyone with even a decent education is fleeing to Western Europe and the US but no Turkey sure is top gun right

>HURR DURR
Islam is bae
I Western Europe
soon to be a Caliphate
>US
20%

Can't understand you still.

>20%
>US
Blacks make up less than 13% of the population and that's COUNTING half-breeds who count themselves as being fully "black".

you cannot whitewash BLACKs mongrel boy
youtube.com/watch?v=3XUPZokMb6A

What are you saying, Al-cockroach? Is reading comprehension not a strong suit in Turkey?

If you want to understand what i'm saying you can always ask your mother. she's an expert on me :-DDDDDDD

Just shitpost better you uncreative low IQ brainlet. Your bants are weak.

Seems you asked your mother :-DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

>he can't improve his bants
Sad

Paduspanids remained Zoroastrian until early 15th century.

Yazd, Iran still has Zoroastrian minority.

why does every thread on this board devolve into a debate between a few people who are obsessed with the notion of race?