/routine general/

Previous (archived) thread Check out our new sticky!
>fitsticky.com/

>Novice Programs & Routine tips (Rep Ranges, Volume, Frequency, etc)
fitsticky.com/novice-programs/

>Intermediate Programs
fitsticky.com/intermediate-programs/

>How to perform the Main Lifts
fitsticky.com/how-to/

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/
strengtheory.com/the-new-approach-to-training-volume/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Here's my current routine (only got dumbbells, pull up bar and a bench)

Workout A
2x4, 2x8 Shoulder Press
2x4, 2x8 Weighted Chin Ups
3x6 Goblet Squat
4x8 Bicep Curls

Workout B
2x4, 2x8 Bench Press
2x4, 2x8 One Handed Rows
3x6 Lunges
4x8 Skullcrushers

AxBxAxx
BxAxBxx

As you can see I work my legs 3 times a week. Should I increase the volume maybe or would that be a bad idea? Also, is there a difference if instead of 1 DB Goblet Squat I do 2 DB on my shoulders Front Squat? Generally I'm pretty satisfied with everything, but I'm still trying to figure out the legs part in this routine, so halp pls

A (heavier):
btn press 5x3
squat 5x3
curls 3x6

B (lighter):
Bench 3x5
muscle snatch 3x5
power cleans 3x5

A2 (lighter):
btn press 3x5
squat 3x5 (narrower stance, bit of a pause)
curls 2x10

B2 (heavier)
Bench 5x3
snatch high pulls 5x2
power cleans 5x2

all sets ramping. every 4th week deload by either cutting weight or volume by 33%

Why is SS, Reg Parks and GLSP better than SL 5x5 and ICF?

forgot to mention, ABxA2xB2x. also some light hanging leg raises 2 days a week.

Pls r8, I know it's bad that's why I need help

A
Bench press 5x5
Incline Bench 5x5
Curls 5x10
Shrugs 5x10
Deadlifts 5x1

B
Pulls ups 5x10
Chin ups 5x10
Dips 5x10
Bent over shrugs 5x10
Barbell rows 5x5

C
Cable rows 5x10
Face pulls 5x10
Tricep pull downs 5x10
Cable internal and external rotation 5x10
Lateral raise 5x10

xAxCxAB

I know it's not very good but because of injuries I can't train legs or shoulders super hard so no OHP or squats and the like. With that if anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it

>Bench & Incline Bench
choose one
>Deadlifts as last exercise
Nope.
>Shrugs
you don't need that kind of isolation as a noob
>Pull Ups & Chin Ups
I'd prolly just do one of them
>Shrugs again
nope.
Put rows right after your pull ups and leave the dips for later imo.
C is A FUCKING MESS
Have you tried lunges or just not going atg squats? I dunno man your routine is pretty shit, I'd prolly get one from the sticky.

This is my routine. It has a great variation with focus on the important muscles.

Workout A
Bicep Curls 2x20
Barbell curls 2x20
Preacher curls 2x20
Dumbbell curls 2x20

Workout B
Bent-over curls 2x20
One Handed curls 2x20
Power curls 2x20
Snatch high curls 2x20
Tricep pull downs 2x20

What do you guys think?

I'd put some tricep exercises like skull crushers on Workout A, then do ABABABABABABABAB for 8 hour arms workout, right babe?

Ok so please help me with this. What do you think about this workout for a beginner?

So we start with SS as a base so we have:
A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

B
Squat 3x5
Le Press™ 3x5
Deadlift / Power Clean 5x3

and then we add
C
Seated Calf Raise
Standing Calf Raise
Barbell/Power Shrug
Preacher Curl
Wrist Curl

and then I'd do something like
ACBCAxx BCACBxx

I'm interested in developing forearms, calves, triceps, delts, traps, in that order.

also I need help on the number of reps/sets for workout C.

Any help and suggestions deeply appreciated.

pt 1.

If you want the detailed answer you need to research how fitness, performance and fatigue works. Fitness at any given point is just your peak performance minus your fatigue. The more your fatigue you have, the more performance drops, and as a result your fitness levels. Performance and fatigue goes up and down each training day, and each rest day. After a training day, performance decreases and fatigue increases and on rest days performance increases and fatigue decreases. But if you can't handle your fatigue and it never decreases due to poor nutrtion, rest, or too much volume, it will become greater than your performance, which in turn weakens it and as a result your fitness levels (usually temporarily but this varies). So we always need to keep fatigue down (below performance) if we want to keep increasing our fitness levels (top peaks of our performance). As you train more & more you become more adapt in handling fatigue, i.e. your fatigue restistance goes up, but so does the required minimum stimuli for muscle growth, so you need more volume/frequency/intensity to grow, but you can handle it.

Nah, my friend told me isolation exercises like that are worthless. That's why I don't do skull crushers in my routine.

pt 2.

Takeaways: If your volume is too high compared to your fatigue resistance, your fatigue levels will surpass your performance levels, resulting in a decrease in performance and therefore fitness levels (i.e. your overall athleticisim) causing you to be in a overtrained state. The longer the fatigue is unmanaged, the longer it will take to recover to your previous fitness levels you were at before the decrease started.

How we solve this as a beginner:
You only start with the MINIMUM amount of volume required for you to grow, which isn't very high when you're a novice. Your ability to handle fatigue hasn't developed at all so we need to be careful with our exercise, intensity, volume and frequency choices. Our performance will increase linearly, and as a result our fitness levels, and our fatigue is always managed and never gets out of hand. When we stall as a beginner it's either because the fatigue got way too high, or we have exhausted our novice gains. Deloading 10% as per many routines recommendations, we reduce our fatigue so our performance levels can stabilize and start to increase again. When this doesn't work we know we are done with the novice program. We simply need more volume, but now we can handle it because your fatigue resistance has increased. But we only add the MINIMUM volume again to stimulate muscle growth.

tl;dr SL (at least in the beginning, can probably switch as a medium-late novice) and ICF has too much volume

pt.3

Added graph to explain what happens when you become overtrained.

All helpful. I've looked at the sticky and most good routines involve squatting/ohp since they're good compound movements. Problem is can't do them so I just throw in exercises my friends recommended. I do cycling for legs but that's all I can do. The C day is pretty much just light shoulder/back stuff because of my shoulder. Either way thanks for the advice. I'll try to rework stuff

what do you think of the stronglifts advanced 5x5?

How can I tell when I'm a medium late novice then? 3 months?

Here's my first revision from taking that advice

A
Deadlifts 5x1
Bench press 5x5
Curls 5x10
Tricep pull downs 5x10
Lateral raise 5x10

B

Pulls ups 5x10/Chin ups 5x10
Barbell rows 5x5/Cable rows 5x10
Bent over shrugs 5x10
Dips 5x10
Face pulls 5x10

xAxBxAB

Cleaned it up a lot more, though I'm actually supposed to do low weight bent over shrugs for my shoulders as part of physio so I have to work that in their.

It's very hard to say and it differs from person to person and has to do with a lot variables. One really need to watch you train and see how you perform and how taxing each training session is to be able to judge where exactly you are. It's much easier to say "do a good novice program" instead like SS or GSLP which you can't really fuck up. You seem very eager to jump on isolation and accessory movements but don't be. Anything you do as a novice will stimulate growth and you'll get plenty of it in the intermediate stage. Doing ICF and SL (to some extent) will just delay you since you will have to deload more often to be able to progress. You will obviously develop fatigue resistance on these programs which let you progress and end up in the same place as SS would've gotten you, albeit much slower.

ICF may look like this (don't think of this as training sessions but more of phases in your program):
Progressive Overload -> Progressive Overload -> Progressive Overload -> Deload -> Progressive Overload -> Deload -> Stall -> Deload -> Progressive Overload -> Finished

And SS might look like this:
Progressive Overload -> Progressive Overload -> Progessive Overload -> Progressive Overload -> Deload -> Progressive Overload -> Deload -> Finished

Same endpoint, same results (slight difference with exercise selection, i recommend GSLP so there's a bit less focus on squats), but way longer to get there because you needed to build up your fatigue resistance to even make progress. On SS the only program is novice gains running out and maybe a slight fatigue problems every now and then, but way less than ICF.

>>Bench & Incline Bench
>choose one

why? I'm doing Bench, Incline Bench, Decline Bench & Dips (+biceps isolations in between) on chest day. Is this retarded? I'm making decent noobgains and I can increase weight or reps nearly on every workout.

What's your opinion on a Chest, Back, Shoulders, Legs, Rest routine anyways?
Should I convert to PPL or is it fine as long as I feel comfortable?

problem* not program.

In the end all linear progression programs work and will give you the same results, the only difference is efficiency, how long it will take you. So when you stall on ICF and SL multiple times, don't make a thread and complain about it even though you're doing everything right. It's the path you've chosen and if you enjoy deloading more than progressing just because you were greedy and wanted more volume; go for it bud.

I gotta cut. Give me some 3-4 days a week intermediate routine. Shouldnt have oly lifts and pull ups/dips. Should have squat dead bench ohp row shrugs some arm work and some accessories for chest and shoulders cause that's where I lack. Dont make it too hard.

Also how can I make it work with having 2.5 kg plates as smallest in gym. I can't just increment 5 kg in ohp or bench since 1 im cutting 2 i suck at them. Maybe increase reps or smth idk if theres such a program.

>I've just read practical programming for the first time
holy fuck what a long ass winded way to say the volume is too high for novices.

Candito LP
>mon
Volume lower
>tues
Volume upper
>thurs
Heavy lower
>sat
Heavy upper

Y/N?

I'm stuck in a place for a month where I only have access to a shitty gym that doesn't even have a leg press.
Now I'm not really strong, but I've made solid progress on Greyskull.
Stats:
>60kg x 5 bench
>75kg x 3 squat
>95kg x 3 deadlift
>44kg x 5 ohp

5' 7" 70kg

Now this place I'm at only has
A pec fly machine
A smith machine
A leg curl machine
A leg extension machine
Assisted chin/dip machine
A lat pulldown machine

I also have access to dumbells that go up to 45lbs.

How can I get a decent workout and keep whatever little gains I've made, for this month?

I can't just go to a different gym because over here they have yearly memberships only and I'll be gone in a month.

I'm running a modified Greyskull LP AxBxAxx routine.

Workout A:
- Bench/The Press (alternating) 2x5, 1xF
- DB Rows 2x5, 1xF
- Squats 2x5, 1xF
- Lateral Raises/Dips (alternating) 3x8-12
- Supinating Curls 3x8-12
- Dragon Flag Progression

Workout B
- Bench/The Press (alternating) 2x5, 1xF
- Weighted Chinups 2x5, 1xF
- Deadlift 2x5, 1xF
- Lateral Raises/Dips (alternating) 3x8-12
- Face Pulls 3x8-12

I'm fucking hating chins and dips though so I might sub for something else. Can hardly do bodyweight on them and it's not a good workout.

Yet you always have the arguments like "oh i can handle the volume", "more volume more growth", "you will learn to handle it if you power through it", "ss has too little volume" etc etc.

Understanding WHY is better than just following arbitrary statements like "volume is too high".

but your explanation was exactly the same thing - people who think they can handle the volume aren't gonna suddenly agree because you said "fatigue management"

So no amount of detailed explanation will ever sway someones opinion of a subject? What's the point of discussing anything at all if that's the case? Why explain anything if a simple one sentence explanation is equal to long detailed one?

How does Veeky Forums feel about HST routines? They seem a bit easy to fuck up, anyone tried one?

Ok trappu-chanu

I have.... An unusual request for a routine.

First ofly, i have done did T-rexed myself. Still gonna do squat and dead and hip thrust, just not really gonna program them in, as lower body progressive overload and/or strength is no longer a concern.

Still gonna do them, might still make gains, just gonna lift like a total bro with no programming for lower body, flying by the seat of my pants.

Also, literally the only lift i really give a shit about is ohp.

Is there an ohp-specific routine with no lower body programming?

Or with lower body programming i can disregard from time to time?

the point is that the explanation doesn't really explain anything past the point of "its too much", and going into an essay to answer a simple question doesn't accomplish anything.

the difference between
>SL is more volume than necessary for a novice
is no more/less insightful than
>SL is more volume than necessary for a novice because of possible fatigue accumulation

and someone who thinks
>oh i can handle the volume
isn't gonna change their mind.

Alright, so I'm a fat faggot who's cutting.
I have some adjustable dumbbells that I will train with until I max them out. Complete beginner, what rep range do you suggest if I'm lifting 3x a week?

My lifts suck right now after two months of lifting, but I'm slowly getting better. I weight 172 and am 5'10 male, should I start trying to cut? I'm apparently pretty close to overweight according to BMI, but I don't look fat, although I am a bit pudgy for my personal tastes.

My current shitty routine:

A Workout:
Bench 120 lbs 5x5
Squat 165 lbs 5x5

B Workout:

OHP 85 5x5
DL 195 1x5

Every Day:
Pullups bodyweight 5x6, varying grips

I had a shoulder thing going on that just got fixed that has hampered my lifting pretty bad, but shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Kinda want to cut to look good, but I feel like it's too early. Part of me is tempted to go into fuckit mode and bulk my way over the overweight line and deal with it later, while increasing my lifts. Which would be more appropriate?

pls respond

Just do greyskull but with all the bb lifts in a smith machine - it's obviously not ideal but you gotta do with what you have and a smith machine will do you fine for just a month.

you can add accessories likes alternating the db variation of the press you're not doing that day so you still get experience with free weights, i.e.

A
Smith Machine BP 3x5
DB OHP 3-4x6-10

B
Smith Machine OHP 3x5
DB BP 3-4x6-10

Same with squat, if you want you can alternate between free weight db squats/split squats if the weight is too light (either in the rack position of held at your side) and the smith machine version

Your too weak to have to bulk just cut

Thanks, makes sense

Been doing some 3 day TM on a cut(my second cut couldnt just ss or sl am not a beginner) which worked for a while but is not working anymore. Give me some 3-4 day a week routine that focuses on aesthetics till I can bulk again. It should have the main lifts but nothing like PRs and shit like that probably just high reps and shiit.

pls respond

are you actually going to failure or doing AMRAP, which means stopping on the last rep before failing? i don't know if i'd want to do DLs to failure personally

if you overbulk you'll just spend that much longer cutting in the future. suck it up and do a controlled, slow cut. also, good for you on the pullups, but start adding weight, man. that's a lot of volume at bodyweight. and get some dips in, too. they'll help you with your bench

Whats a good routine to get your bench and ohp up?

Hows this

3x5 bench
5x5 ohp 90%
?

3x5 squat
1x5 deadlift
5x3 powerclean

3x5 ohp
3x5 bench
2x5 spoto bench

Maybe more accessories?

Thanks, I'm intending to add weight in the future, but I'm not sure when to do it. Current plan is to work up to 5x8 pullups, then start adding weight. How does that sound?

Also, is it worth switching to skim milk on a cut? I'm not sure if the tradeoffs are worth it

Also, I'm not sure how to think about the pullups. 5x6 sounds like a lot of volume, but doesn't feel like it because each set is a different grip, and it feels like each set is working a pretty distinct set of muscles. I could be wrong though.

Should I treat the 5 sets as one generic exercise, even though they all feel different?

r8 my routine
10x3 bench
10x3 inclined bench
8x3 over the head bench
15x3 lat pull down
15x3 tricep pull down
10x3 cable row
10x3 barbell curls
10x3 ab leg raises
i usually walk for a mile afterwards.

fake and gay

Daily reminder:

A
8x3 bench
8x3 tricep cable pulldowns / skullcrushers
8x3 curls

B
8x3 squat
8x3 cable pulls or what ever for your back.
8x3 OHP

ABxABxx thoughts?
usually if i get full 8x3 i throw in a 4th set and see how far i can go if i get at least 5 or 4 reps in i go 5 LBS up on weight.
pls respond

What's the lifespan of SS5x5? At what point would you be no longer considered a novice and want to move on to different routines?

g-guys? ;_;

why does rippletits add chinups as opposed to pullups in SS?

what's the benefits of chinups over pullups? can I do pullups on the other day, or will that fuck everything up?

Chins hit bicep, and are the only bicep training you will do (or need).

Also they have slightly higher emg rating for lats, and slightly less for lower trapezius.
Pull ups are better for forearms, but imo just follow your 1x5 deadlifts with single arm deadlift (i do a heavy double per side). This helps for grip training and forearm size

When you can no longer progress linearly, and deloads wont help.

Assuming proper rest and nutrition and such

Oh yeah, forgot the most important point.

Pull ups are mechanically disadvantageous compared to chin ups, so for adding weight, chin ups is better for progression

do you even lift

do both
/thread

When it says 5x5 80-90% is it off my 1RM or my 5RM?

Is this a good routine for a beginner?
reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/

A – Back/Biceps/Shoulders (Pull)
Bent Over Rows 5x5
Lat Pulldowns 3x10
Hyperextensions 3x10
Barbell Curls 3x10
Preacher Curls 3x10
Lateral Raises 3x10
Shrugs 3x10
Pullups 3xF

B – Chest/Triceps/Shoulders (Push)
Bench Press 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Incline Dumbbell Press 4x10
Pushdowns 4x10
Incline Flies 3x10
Lateral Raises 3x10
Dips 3xF

C – Legs
Squats 5x5
Romanian Deadlifts 3x10
Lunges 3x10
Leg Press 3x10
Leg Curls 3x10
Leg Extensions 3xF

ACxBCxx

Thoughts? What should I change

>usually if i get full 8x3 i throw in a 4th set
Most people use (sets)x(reps), so it took me a while to understand what the fuck you were trying to say. Anyway, just run GSLP.

My bad, I'm doing AMRAP on the last set. Of the top of my head I didn't think there was a difference, but now that I think about it there obviously is.

Is trappy's push/pull split enough for aesthetics?

You're hitting every muscle group twice a week; however, I recall reading somewhere that for a novice (as myself) the best idea would be to complete 8 to 12 SETS per muscle group per session. How much merit does that hold?

Does anyone have any experience doing something similar to this routine?

I'm doing Texas Method, I added curls/tricep extensions on monday with some situps (An article Rippetoe wrote recommended keeping assistance to Mondays)

My deadlifts are suffering and I think it's my grip strength, what can I do to improve it? I was thinking of throwing some dead hangs or farmer's carries in somewhere.

Would it make more sense to do the assistance work at the end of the workout on Friday?

ABCABCx

A - Chest/Bi's Day 1:
>Pushups
>DB Press
>DB Fly
>Barbell curl
>Hammer curl
>Reverse grip barbell curl
>DB curl

B - Legs/Tris Day 1:
>Squat
>Leg curl
>Leg extension
>Calf Press
>Tricep Cable pulldown
>Skullcrushers
>Lying Tricep Press
>Seated Barbell extension

C - Back/Shoulders Day 1:
>Pull Up
>Lat Pulldown
>Seated Row
>Barbell Shrug
>Upright Row
>DB shoulder press
>DB raises
>Lateral raise

A - Chest/Bi's Day 2:
>Push Ups
>Bench Press
>Chest Dips
>Chest Press
>Concentration Curl
>Cable Curl
>Barbell Curl
>Reverse Grip Barbell Curl

B - Legs/Triceps Day 2:
>Deadlift
>Leg Press
>Lunges
>Calf Press
>Tricep Press
>Overhead DB Extension
>Tricep Cable Pulldown
>DB kickback

C - Back/Shoulders Day 2:
>DB Row
>DB Shrugs
>Bent Over Barbell Row
>Close Grip Pulldown
>DB Shoulder Press
>Lateral Raise
>Military Press
>Barbell Front Raise

Pls respawn

Just started gym this week but have had good fitness from surfing and would regularly do concentration curls at home @15kg 6x10 and weighted pushups
@ 182cm 75kg

anywho, looking for Gainz (well, bulk and tone preferably) looking to do it within 3 months, what's good routine Veeky Forums ????

>My deadlifts are suffering and I think it's my grip strength, what can I do to improve it
It's not your grip strength, it's the fact that you don't deadlift. Start deadlifting and your deadlift will increase.

Do that without the chins

Current routine

ABCxA1B1x

A:

>1x5 Diddly
>Weighted Pull Up 5x5
>Cable Rows 3x8
>Facepulls 3x15
>DB-Curls 3x12
>BB-Curls 2x10

B:

>Weigthed Dips 5x5+
>OHP 3x8
>INC DB-Bench 3x10
>Triceps Extensions 3x12
>Skullcrusher 2x10

C:

>Squat 5x5
>Romanian Diddly 2x10
>Leg Press 3x8
>Leg Extensions 3x12
>Calf Raises 3x20

A1:

>BB-Row 5x5
>same as a

B1:

>OHP 5x5+
>Dips 3x8
>same as B

Will this work? trying to put on a bit of mass until I´ll start the real bulk in september.

A1 without the diddly!

Hey please give me a fun 3 days a week routine, I'm getting bored already.
Lifting for 5 months, been doing mostly compounds, I find isolations very tedious, though I do some here and there. Also I just discovered what The Push Press is, so I'd like to incorporate that to. Any tips please?

how the FUCK can you do squat or bench 5x5 at 90%!?

sorry meant for

My default fuckaround is usually something like:

A
Squat
Bench
Row

B
Press
Deads
Chins

Rotate as usual AxBxA/BxAxB

Each session just pick a variant of the lift and work up to a heavy set of whatever, then drop 10% or so and do more sets of the same reps until you're in danger of failing, then maybe drop another 10-20% and do a rep out set.

Just grab one from fitsticky.com. You can use the Push Press as an auxiliary movement to your OHP. Just do it for higher reps (anywhere from 6-12) after OHP.

if the bar's slipping from his hand it's obviously grip strength.

When following recommendations like that, look at the total volume rather than the number of sets. 8-12 sets could mean 8-12 reps or 32-48 reps. You also need to think about your total volume per week rather than per session since every workout affects the other. The routine is just a variation of The Texas Method which follows the principles of a volume day and a intensity day with optional accessories. Rippetoe talks about the different variations you can make in Practical Programming so this should work fine.

All linear progression style programs works (to some extent) for a novice, the only difference is how efficient they are. They will give you the same end results, but generally the more volume the longer it's gonna take.

Multiple reasons. It's an easier exercise, it's called Starting Strength after all. It involves the oh so needed work for the bicep, and it's easier to linearly progress on which is the whole point of the program.

Yeah this looks fine. The C day is unlikely to affect your recovery since it's just light accessories. You should do the SS phase 3 which includes chinups though.

>Yeah this looks fine. The C day is unlikely to affect your recovery since it's just light accessories. You should do the SS phase 3 which includes chinups though.
Thank you you are so very based.

Does this look ok?
How would you inc front squats?
How do I cycle 3x5 intensity days? 3x5 --> 4x4 --> 5x3?

Monday
- Bench 3x5
- OHP 5x5 (80-90%)
- DB Bench 3x6-8 (add at 9)
- Skull crushers 3x10
- Lat Raises 3x10

Tuesday
- Squat 3x5
- Weighted Chins 3x5
- Snatch DL (70-75%)
- DB Row 3x5 (80-90%)
- Curls 3x10

Thursday
- OHP 3x5
- Bench 5x5 (80-90%)
- DB Bench 3x6-8 (add at 9)
- DB Press 3x10
- Lat Raises 3x10

Friday
- Squat 5x5 (80-90%)
- Deadlift 1x3
- DB Row 3x5
- BW Chins 3xF
- Curls 3x10

Could have made a shorter post by just saying "I do SS"

What are some good core exercises for a intermediate? I have been doing SL 5x5 but I am not sure if it works the core. Are crunches good at start?

Try to get a variation of exercises to cover your entire core, like all kind of planks etc.

Opinions

M: Lower
Front Squat 3X6
SLDL 3x8
Split Squat 3X8-12
Unilatl Leg press 3X8-12
Calf raise 3X12-15

Plank 1xF
Ab Roll up 3x12-15
Cardio - LISS

T: Upper
Flat bench 3X6
Barbell Row 3X6
Shoulder press 1X6
Chin Up 1X6
Rear Delt 3X8-12
Cable Pullover 3X8-12

Forearm hang 1xF
Unilateral Wrist Ext 3x8-12 (no rest)

T: Lower
Sumo Deadlift 2X6
Glute Bridge 3x8
Leg Press 3X8
Bulgarian Split Squat 3X8-12
Leg curl 3X8-12

L-Sit 1xF
Side Plank 1xF
Cardio - LISS

F: Upper
Incline bench 4X8
Pulldown 4X8
Flat DB bench 2X10-12
Cable Row 2X10-12
DB Shoulder press 3x10
DB Curl 3X10
Cable Triceps Exten 4X8-12
Cable Lateral Raises 4x8-12

Unilateral Wrist Flex 3x8-12 (no rest)
Rotator Cuff 3x12

5RM

90% of 5RM

Volume =/= reps
Volume = number of sets

strengtheory.com/the-new-approach-to-training-volume/

8-12 sets is dumb. 5-9 is the best for growth.

>strengtheory.com/the-new-approach-to-training-volume/

What are you talking about? Volume is just set x reps, i.e. total reps, while volume LOAD is set x reps x weight. It even says so in the arcticle.

"Next, we need studies that control for training volume (weight x reps)"

"(3×10 with a challenging load will mean a lot more volume than 3×3 with a challenging load)."

I just skimmed the arcticle and I saw some arguments for SETS over just total volume, but that doesn't mean that volume = number of sets, but maybe I'm missing something since I didn't read it.

Variation of SS which I'm thinking of doing

A
Back Squats 3x5 (non-lowbar)
OHP 3x5
Power Cleans 3x3/Deadlift 1x5 (alternate)
Pullups 3xF

B
Back Squats 3x5(non-lowbar)
OHP 3x5
Pendlay Rows 3x5
Dips 3xF
Pullups 3xF

r8 h8 tell me how bad it is

to add:

The matching volume load principle is only true at high enough loads that challenge you. You obviously wouldn't get enough stimulation curling a pencil 1000 times as the equivalent with

is strength vs mass routines just a meme? newish lifter here. mainly looking for mass as quick as possible. strength I want to focus on later.

would post this is qtddtot but cant find one.

yes, but strength routines get you stronger faster so there's no point picking a hypertrophy routine since you get both in both routines.

also, strength is much easier to gain than size, especially as a novice, so it makes no sense on focusing on size first.

Is Phul good ? Im cutting and cant progress on TM I just want to keep my lifts almost the same till i bulk again next winter. How is the progression on phul or just do whatever weight im feeling like

Quick question:

Is it better to do a day of a certain muscle group and disregard that muscle group for the rest of the week
or
Have a muscle group with a secondary group, then the next day do the secondary as main, and a different a secondary and move on from there?
OR
A little of everything every day but with different exercises so one can do them all with no fatigue?

Fixed

Protein synthesis only occurs up to 72 hours after working out, which is the main argument for higher frequency training (and studies that prove this obviously) versus brosplits with one muscle group per week. You don't need to rest that long and you're literally "wasting" gains when this window is over.

As for the second option, it depends on how hard the secondary muscles are being hit. Splits like PPL work because even though you might hit some of the pull muscles very slightly on the push day, it's not enough to cause fatigue and impact your workout the next day. Training shoulders after a bench day is another thing completely though.

Third option, there's a difference between total fatigue and the fatigue of the muscle. Every workout you do will impact the other since your whole system will get slightly fatigued but this is usually properly managed by intelligent routine structures where rest days are not neglected and deloads are essential.

tl;dr 2-3x frequency (i.e. Upper/Lower split, PPL, Full body) is superior to a brosplit

if ur gonna split, make sure the overlap in the muscles worked doesn't impact the next workout, this is why we have push and pull days to solve this

everything every day is good, there's loads of full body routines out there for all levels, but since the frequency is so high, the volume is much lower. always look at the total volume per week per muscle group when looking at programs.

10/10 advice

What if i am a bro, who only cares about delts, chest, and back? Can i do a 6day brosplit at 2x a week?

I feel like it gives me better recovery

This is a hard question to answer because everyone starts at a different level. Something to think about is what type of progression you want. A general rule for rep ranges is that you should do as many reps as you are comfortable doing WITHOUT sacrificing form. So, it is better to do 25 lb curls for 5 reps correctly than 35 lb curls with swaying. Find what is comfortable for you, and work it into your larger plan. Something like 3x10 at moderate weight, possibly.

> ^roid rage
MY SIDES

I'm doing something similar right now since I hurt my lower back, but it's PPxPPxx. I don't know how a 6day brosplit can give you "better recovery" with one rest day, than my split which gives you three rest days. You'd have to train very light each day to not overtrain.