The science is in: exercise won’t help you lose much weight

vox.com/2016/6/29/12051520/exercise-weight-loss-myth-burn-calories-video

>By preventing cancers, improving blood pressure, cholesterol and sugar, bolstering sleep, attention, energy and mood, and doing so much more, exercise has indisputably proven itself to be the world’s best drug – better than any pharmaceutical product any physician could ever prescribe. Sadly though, exercise is not a weight loss drug, and so long as we continue to push exercise primarily (and sadly sometimes exclusively) in the name of preventing or treating adult or childhood obesity, we’ll also continue to short-change the public about the genuinely incredible health benefits of exercise, and simultaneously misinform them about the realities of long term weight management.

>Sadly though, exercise is not a weight loss drug

whats the Veeky Forums verdict of this?

Other urls found in this thread:

active.com/triathlon/articles/how-many-calories-does-swimming-burn
calorielab.com/burned/?mo=se&gr=17&ti=walking&q=&wt=150&un=lb&kg=68
runnersworld.com/fitness-calculators/calories-burned-calculator
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Post all your baits

>vox

Fuck of cunt stop shilling your shit here

Yeah calories are what counts at the end of the day. Exercise makes it so you don't look like and feel like shit. Otherwise enjoy your 1000 calories a day and slow demise.

Eat less move more, simple.

This is nothing new.

Diet has always been the most important factor in weight loss/gain. If you want to lose weight than cut calories. If you want to look good when you're done cutting exercise too.

its completely bullshit

They are looking at averages, at fats and loser fats.

If you actually do something like 3 hours worth of sports each day. You can make than so called 10%, become near 50%. Especially if you go on a caloric defecit, keto diet. You will be burning fat while you run, while you exercise.

>If a hypothetical 200-pound man added 60 minutes of medium-intensity running four days per week while keeping his calorie intake the same, and he did this for 30 days, he'd lose five pounds. "If this person decided to increase food intake or relax more to recover from the added exercise, then even less weight would be lost," Hall added. (More on these "compensatory mechanisms" later.)

>So if one is overweight or obese, and presumably trying to lose dozens of pounds, it would take an incredible amount of time, will, and effort to make a real impact through exercise alone.

The article even sums it up. It works but the problem is it's difficult to maintain over a long period of time. Losing 5lbs a month when keeping your diet exactly the same and only running 4x a week is something I'd be happy with

If you're doing 3 hours of exercise a day you're gonna have bigger problems than weight.

Only technically true, but also likely attempts to conflate separate issues. If a hypothetical person changed nothing else about their life other than exercising more, they will lose weight, but people aren't terribly bright, too soft to endure much discomfort, and will generally overeat to compensate.

Of course, in terms of optimal health, performance, weight, and body composition, a good diet and exercise are both necessary, full stop. The reason different or reductionist approaches to fitness are disseminated is because people are highly irrational, lazy, and dishonest. Even if you exhaustively spell out exactly what and how much they should eat/do, the vast majority of people will fail because their willpower and ability to self-motivate is terrible.

we all fucking know this already you faggot. the best exercise to lose weight is the fork-putdown x F

I managed to lose a couple of kg's in 3 weeks with this

>go full keto (takes about a week to get into for me)
>reduce calories while on keto also by 50%
>make sure to run 3 times a week, for one hour each day at a medium pace (run to what you feel is like exhaustion) (running here will also cause your body to DIRECTLY eat from the bodyfat, the harder it gets, the more it eats into from the fat)
>walk 1 hour every day
>also just keep on doing weight lifting
>also swim once in a while for an hour

In 3 weeks I managed to get from overweight, into normal modo territory. Even almost managed to get underweight and I had to intervene as to not to starve.

But doing these things at least makes it fucking easy as fuck to lose weight, a lot of it even.

The article is still full of shit though. Exercise, especially while on keto is a HUGE factor for the weight loss.

>keto diet

You dont need meme diets to lose fat on a deficit

Your faggot face is a fucking problem for your weight you faggot face.

If you do different exercises, for different parts of your body, its no fucking problem you mongoloid.

>whats the Veeky Forums verdict of this?
it's completely true. I exercise more than I ever have (5-6 days a week), eat normally and haven't lost a pound. of course, I'm not trying to lose weight, but it's obvious to me that if I ever want to lose weight I need to consciously eat less. if I eat when I'm hungry then it seems my body automatically makes me eat roughly maintenance every day, regardless of activity level.

obviously exercise can be a decent addition to a good diet, but the diet is what controls your weight loss.

It makes exercise much more efficient. If you have no reserves of glycogen in your muscles, no carbs. Your body will directly take energy from your fat. Pure ketogenesis at nearly 100%. Instead of partly to carbs, which you ate.

For fat loss this is boss and is the best technique to reduce bodyfat.

no, it doesn't. what decides how much you lose is the deficit. of course your body will take energy from fat if you do keto, but you also take in a lot more fat from the diet so the net result is 0.

>the 10% meme

Walk 1 hour each day, run 1 hour each day. Swim some thing like that as well. Reduce calories by 50%, and than 10% becomes 50%. Why is math so hard for you dumb fucks?

You guys are truly the recipients of this article, the fat, dumb tards.

active.com/triathlon/articles/how-many-calories-does-swimming-burn
calorielab.com/burned/?mo=se&gr=17&ti=walking&q=&wt=150&un=lb&kg=68
runnersworld.com/fitness-calculators/calories-burned-calculator

>durrr hurrr its 10% of your TDEE

>be a person that calculates all of his calories expended with exercise
>have a careful caloric deficit
>even at my mild days exercise can get to 50% of of cut into the calories
>apparently, there is a website for lazy, fat people that makes video's for other lazy and fat people that tells those lazy and fat people that it can never get beyond 10%
>all it takes is just several different sports and several hours
>but no its apparently physiologically impossible, just as how fat people have special "genetics" that causes them to be fat or some horseshit like that.
>post on a Veeky Forums board, where you expect people to have an IQ past 90...
>still see the same dumb fatties.

Extremely fucking skeptical, but I read the article nonetheless.

The second point (It's hard to create a significant calorie deficit through exercise) seems fairly legit, but could be wrong in the maths and assumptions. Btu even then, losing 5 pounds a month while still pigging out on whatever you normally want is great progress.

The other points are so stupid as to be not worth mentioning.
If you take the average fat shits and look at how much of their energy expenditure is due to exercise, of course it's going to be a minority because they're fat shits.

People eating more or resting more is also retarded. That's their own fault, a child can realise this.

I can understand why academics are clutching at straws in this topic, because they've given people all the answers they need and yet the average westerner is still getting fatter and less healthy. So they're desperate for any new, secret key to get people to be healthy and satisfy their altruism.

>running for 1 hour at a mild pace can eat 600 calories away
>swimming for one hour can eat 500 calories away
>walking 1 hour can eat 200 calories away
>biking can eat 600 calories away
>a weight lifting regime for 1 hour could also burn 200 calories away (a bit more loose though)

All of these activities can be done nearly each and every day, if you have the time. Even just two of the best can be worth 1200 calories, and the TDEE of most people is something like 2200...

...so that means that most people can get to 50% of their TDEE through exercise...if they just dont sit on a couch, watching tv.

Losing weight like this is possible for most people, who even work 40 hours a week (considering how most jobs are non intensive)

So tell me, how is this article and the outlook that it teaches not complete bullshit?

>But doing these things at least makes it fucking easy as fuck to lose weight,

Lol, I don't think doing hours of intense exercise almost daily + keto + massive caloric deficit is what I'd call "easy", but no one can doubt it works

This is nothing new. A year ago an user made 3, 300 post threads in which he explained why exercise doesn't actually help you lose weight. Argued that steady state cardio reduces your metabolism for a few hours afterwards nearly negating the calories burned during the exercise. He had some well done studies to support his claim, and he shut down every person that tried to argue against him, but I'm sure Veeky Forums has forgotten about it.

Main thing to remember is that you will NEVER lose any weight aside from eating less.

The article makes it sound like something unattainable though. Like its impossible. Which it totally isnt.

Even a small caloric deficit, alongside a keto and 1.5 hours of daily exercise would still work. Most people would still also have the time for it as well probably.

This article is a bit fat enabling though. Too apologetic. for most people the only thing that prevents them from losing fat is willpower, not time, and not food either.

They should fucking know that day in day out that they themselves are to fucking blame for being fat. Not the food, not their genetics, not exercise, not a lack of money or whatever other bullshit excuse they can come up with.

It only doesnt work if you listen to your body, if you slow down if your bodies metabolism starts to whine to you. But if you keep pushing against a mountain of bad feelings, you will be burning up fat, especially if you are on a keto.

>60 minutes of medium-intensity running
So the article bases its conclusion off the fact that small doses of running (light aerobic activity) is shit for weight loss? No fucking shit. They could at least use an hour of swimming instead, or a bi-weekly squat session (strength training).
>hurrrdurrrr, jogging alone won't make me lose sixty pounds
Tell us something we didn't know.

It's true. Diet is 10x more important than exercise for weight loss. Lift weights to build muscle and help keep fat off, but diet is most important. I know several fat people who are legit dedicated to the gym but because they won't change they're diet they stay fat

After all that work. After you're done. You metabolism will slow down below what it would normally be at in a resting state. Making most or all of your efforrt in vein.

The point is you are not actually burning anywhere near the calories you think you are while doing cardio. Combine this with how joint damaging most forms of cardio are and you should realize the better choice is to just fucking eat less.

They aren't wrong though, exercising will only make you lose a certain amount of fat before the body stabilizes and becomes efficient with its current calorie in/calorie out cycle.

Diet is more important, always.

Course it isn't. Not if you aren't cutting your calorie intake.

It takes a lot of exercise to offset excess calories which is why morons who do half an hour at the gym and then reqard themselves, will never get fit but instead bitch and moan about how exercise doesn't work for them.

It's easier to trade the pizza you ate every day for a salad than to do 60 minutes of moderate cardio, lifting, or whatever physical activity you want to pick.

Even the sticky says basically the same. Exercise helps, obviously, and is necessary for being a healthy individual, but it's not nearly as effective as eating less/healthier when it comes to dropping weight.

The main issue with this video is that people are going to use it to support their shit ass lifestyle. "Oh, see, told you! Exercise really doesn't help at all!" So many people push exercise, exercise, exercise when it comes to weight loss. And that's great, you should exercise. But what the focus should be moved to is eating habits.

>slow demise

As oppose to everyone else's regular demise?

If exercise doesn't give you immortality it is a HUGE waste of time.

Correct, and nobody here has ever claimed otherwise. "Calories in, calories out" is how weight loss works. It's literally the ONLY way it can possibly work. Any exercise you do is a bonus, but you can't out-exercise a shitty diet.

What? Thats bullshit, my metabolism didnt slow down magically. I lost those pounds and they didnt return, because I kept up the sports. I know first hand that your lore is bullshit.

1.5 hours of exercis vs 20 minutes less eating. Hmm.. exercise sure is as easy and effective for weight loss as putting down the damn fork.

Why not both? The keto diet with exercise is a powerful tool to lose bodyfat.

I was at my fittest and most shredded when I was playing 3-4 pickup games of ultimate a week and sprinting around like a retard.

I mean, I guess it would be kind of hard to get a fat person to sprint and jump though because they would probably just shatter their ankles.

>this thread again
>'baww I hate vox why not to invent controversy over absolute common sense'

You lost weight from either eating less, or you gained muscle which changed your tree. It's not bait. Steady state cardio does NOTHING for weight loss. of your sport is more HIIT related. That's a different subject.

>ME OOGA CALORIES IN CALORIES OUT BOOGA

fuck off