Anyone else here completely and utterly ignorant of mesoamerican civilization in it’s entirety?

Anyone else here completely and utterly ignorant of mesoamerican civilization in it’s entirety?

It just seems so irrelevant in the grand scheme of things that I never bothered, am I missing anything cool?

Other urls found in this thread:

britannica.com/topic/Mayan-hieroglyphic-writing
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>am I missing anything cool?

Nope. I mean in a world with figures like Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Louis XIV and Napoleon, do you really want to waste time reading about some savages whose crowning achievement was building some fucking stone steps in the middle of nowhere?

I am also ignorant, any good reads on the general history/structure of these civilizations, particularly the Aztecs? The irrelevancy seems interesting in the sense of being large, organized societies that developed completely isolated from the old world.

Relevance is a spook, didn't you know?

> Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Louis XIV and Napoleon
blasé.jpg

You're better learning about the Inca Master Race

>Inca
>not classic Maya
Shiggy diggy

they constructed the first suspension bridges.

they are quite relevant in the whole scheme of things

B-but /pol/ told me unless you're white you just can't be ingenuos

>irrelevant
Maybe because they lived on an entirely different continent with no contact from the rest of the world?

mountains will do that to ya.

Tenochtitlan is a pretty interesting engineering design
>built a city out of a small lake island
>"floating" gardens
>damming a part of the lake to create a reservoir of clean water
>was estimated to be one of the largest cities in the world at the time

This

One of the problems is that we know very little about cultures like the Mayans. We only really know what they carved into their stela, their ancient cities like Tikal and Uxmal and Chichen Itza were all abandoned by the time Europeans showed up, and they had no written language so all we have to go on is the fractured, inconsistent accounts passed on through verbal tradition and those are hardly reliable.

Imagine finding a stone age metropolis but its just fucking empty, if that isnt rad as fuck i dont know what else is.

Sediment records say long sustained drought outlived their water storage capacities.

pic related is the state of /pol/,

The siege of Tenochtitlan was insane.

"They had no written language"
shame guys like you want to teach history to others.

>incas
>mesoamerica
user I...

tbqh Anything thats not Sub Saharan or Abbo has done pretty alright.

>amerindian
>alright
If europeans are worse than "alright", yes. Amerindians are "alright".

Compared to niggers they are gods. Fuckin everyone has boats and rope except for niggers.

Holy shit was there an intellectual collapse in Veeky Forums? It was only last year that there were at least a few people on here that were knowledgeable about mesoamerica.

Yep, thatll happen when your ancient civilization doesnt have written langauge.

>had Europeans involved

doesn't count.

Both the Mayans and the Aztecs had writing.

barely

Think again retard

are you a consumer of corn, chocolate or tobbacco?

I guess we will never know the real extent because cunts came and detroyed a bunch of it.

Probably for the better, the world doesnt need any more We WUZZERING

britannica.com/topic/Mayan-hieroglyphic-writing

>so irrelevant
It's not because it's the foundation of the culture that will soon be the majority population in the United States, and already is the majority in latin American nations. Hispanic culture, especially Mexican culture is the direct descendant of these civilizations.

Unfortunately almost all of it was lost when the Spanish purged any native beliefs after they gained control. What little still exists is a valued and rich tradition. The mystery surrounding the civilizations is what's interesting, and the way they impact modern life.

These civilizations are interesting because they developed separately from old world civilizations. You can't really say anything else developed completely independently. In the world they are truly unique.

If you need more evidence, a Disney/Pixar movie titled "Coco" was just released and is doing well in the box office. This movie is heavily influenced by mesoamerican beliefs.

I am and give thanks to Huitzilopochtli every day

>we wuzzering
They legitimately had a society that was a dominant force in their part of the world. The meme doesnt apply because they really were kings of their realm.

the great civilisations and cultures of the americas are fascinating precisely because of their isolation from the old world

the olmec, maya, inca, aztecs, etc, of course, but some of the lesser known ones like the ancestral puebloans, taino and whoever else

the parallels between these societies and those of the old word leads to questions about how they were settled, and the common ancestry amerindians share with other mongoloids and europeans, what connection did they have to the mal'ta-buret' culture

Incas were commies and deserved what they got
>b-but youre applying modern westenr values to a nation that had no idea of them and also who had no notion of communism, and simply thought it was natural that the state control most matters!!!
Yes I am.

The state didn't control everything you tard. Every village was populated by a group of ayllus (families of numerous individuals) and they assembled to solve daily problems or food managment among other problems. The state just taxed them with workforce mainly instead of tributes, forced the people to join the army when they were 25yo, and extended a teocracy based on a main god, conserving the local deities, culture and artisans.