Did it work

Did it work

Define "work"

>the evidence is all around us

It's better then the league at least

"No"

Well, the numbers of wars has gone down, but if this is a result of the UN is questionable.

>nuclear holocaust hasn't happened yet

I guess it did.

Conventional war has gone down yes, but assymetrical war is happening all over the planet

also the lack of conventional wars between powerful adversiaries has been adverted mainly because of nukes not because of the UN, the UN isn't worth shit and it's only a meme, the only countries that take their "resolutions" and "recommendations" seriously are third world shitholes

Sort of.
It works in conjunction with a series of other occurrences post 1945, namely the development of the MAD doctrine as well as a rise in neo-liberal institutions such as the EU. Without these the UN would have fared little better than the league.
In regards to it working per say the security council has done a pretty good job at maintaining international security but at the expense of smaller powers. Still because there has been no really major conventional war (showing how it works in conjunction with MAD) I guess the security council is a success.
EcoSoc does its best at trying to make the world a better place with its MDG but there is not really much you can do when some of the nations in the world think Climate change and pollution is a spook whilst others don't give wymn human rights, still its nice that they try and are somewhat successful considering they are dealing with nation states.
GA is also qt as it allows for all nations to have a forum in which to air grievances especially smaller countries which are more often than not ignored in grand diplomacy, sure most dialogue is bilateral but imagine living in a world where Norks, Chinks, Rukis, and Yanks did not communicate to one another at all.

Ultimately its impossible to quantify how much of a role the UN has served in creating world stability but it is safe to say the world would be worse (by how much i'm not sure) if the UN didn't exist.

Ultimately yes. If you oppose the UN then you're just an edgy contrarian fag. The UN obviously isn't perfect but it has, for the most part, kept the peace and has provided aid to desperate peoples across the globe.

What even is its job?

Depends on who you asked.

No. Flawed from the beginning. The veto powers are bound to abuse their right so nothing of importance can ever get done.

This

>The veto powers are bound to abuse their right so nothing of importance can ever get done.
Which just goes to show that it works. So the UNSC couldn't act to support only one side of any argument.

The last time that happened was in Korea, and that was because USSR had a hissy fit and didn't Veto, so the UN went along with intervening in the Korean conflict.

I mean Dag Hammarskjöld did save the world while he was Secretary-general.

The UN hasnt kept peace, Nukes have kept peace

While it is true Nukes do keep the peace, the UN undoubtedly provides an arbiter-like force between all countries regardless if they have nuclear arms.

yes of course, but it mainly works for small countries, Russia, China and USA can pretty much disregard everything the UN says (and have done so) if anything it has made dialogue between world powers and less powerful countries easier

atleast in the GA countries like Uganda can air their grievances but really what has prevented the world from going up in flames of a modern conventional war has been the nuclear deterrent, without this it is my belief that the UN would have gone the same way as the league albeit lasting a little longer

t. International Relations student

I guess I am inclined to agree with you, but the UN does provide aid to countries that need it, and the project shouldn't be abandoned entirely simply because it can be.

Yeah, I agree on that for what it's worth what good the UN has done it has done it right, like I said it probably works better for less powerful countries than the world powers, it might not be perfect but it's the best thing we have right now