My parents suggested I try "door knocking" in order to find an engineering internship...

My parents suggested I try "door knocking" in order to find an engineering internship, as in driving to different companies and handing in resumes by hand.

Is this still something people do anymore or am I just being lazy?

Your parents are fucking stupid.

most places wouldnt even have a front desk who is able to handle such an awkward stunt like that anymore. If a brand new engineer cant figure out how to use the internet, I wouldnt even waste my time on them.

That might've worked in 1930.
that. You'd never get to the front desk without an invite.

Apply online. Call them. Do your best to network.

Thats what I thought.

Its not so much I would be too stupid to use the internet, but they say typical shit like "it makes an impression" and that I will "stand out from the rest".

I did this and spent $200 on gas, toner, paper, and good clothes. Weeks and weeks and weeks.

Not a single call.

JUST

In retrospect, I can understand why.

In the modern era, this looks bad. It certainly looks awkward like the other guy put it. It's like you don't even respect your own time and are very desperate.

Apply online in your underwear instead. It's a numbers game. Always has been.

don't listen to these losers that don't even have jobs, you should try it.

ask the first person you meet if they're the manager/owner (it will make them feel good and they'll laugh it off)

speak with the owner, or if they're not available just have an elevator pitch ready... i'm so and so, just graduated with honors from university of X...... and tell them you don't expect to get a job on the spot but you wanted them to associate your face with your name and one or two reasons you want to work there why you think they're such an interesting place (hopefully they are)

source, i started a business and have 50 employees.

where do you live? are you a student?

>but they say typical shit like "it makes an impression" and that I will "stand out from the rest".

That's boomer logic that no longer applies, m8.

It's all about connections and firm track records now. Also, getting in touch with HR directly also helps.

Sydney. im a final year student

what industry?

>ask the first person you meet if they're the manager/owner
If that happened at any major corporation I've been to, they're first question would be
>how did you get in here
Then they would promptly have you removed.

i don't know how things work in austria, but doesn't your university have a career center or career fair or some big event where you can meet a bunch of employers that are ready to hire people?

yeah but i havent been to any yet, i will go to the next one

you're a senior and you haven't been to a single job fair?
with that lack of drive you're not going to make it. contact whoever runs the job fair at your school and ask them to help you out

i know....

DO this.

I was being a neet nuub. And did this for accounting gigs. I got a royal offer, by two people who were very impressed by me. Eventually i ended up not liking accounting as much.

But you have no idea until you try. There is bound to be something out there user. Do it. And most importantly, stay positive while you go through the process. People love go-getters.

ALL THIS AADVICE IS RETARDED.

go in person, leaves a great impression.

for me personally it worked everytime and im now boss in my dep of transportation

In most jobs, that is exactly what you need to do if you are trying to get a job with no connections. However, engineers are autistic spergs, so they would probably prefer if you just handed him a note asking for an interview with your resume attached.

I have no connections or social skills.
am i fucked?

What major?

It doesn't fucking matter, i did mediocre and I'm a white male. at least I don't have any debt.

no, real engineer here, your parents are being dumb. This works only for sales jobs, like selling cars. Do you want to sell cars user?

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

engineering prospects are fucking shit in this country. my condolences, as a fellow engineer

please tell me you did civil engineering

I'm also an Engineering (civ) student in Sydney, final year. Two years ago I managed to get the office phone number of a manager and called him directly. In his department they run an internship program where you intern for 6 months (paid). Told him i'd love to do it, said I was about to apply online but thought id call to have a chat and see if it was suitable, ended up talking for 20 minutes (business and shit talk) and emailed him my resume directly, got an interview and the internship and after that finished got offered 3 days/week till i graduate with a full time position after. Found out later over 80 people applied and 5 got interviews. 1 got the job (me). I ended up helping pick the resumes for other intern applications a few times (they happen every 6 months) and mine was 100% not in the top half. I believe i only got the interview because of the phone call. If i was shit in the interview i wouldn't have got the job anyway but the personal touch is what got my foot in the door. You have to remember most managers are your parents age, they love that shit.

And also (I am the post above too) 100% do not treat it like a numbers game. Don't apply for 100 hoping 1 will call. Each one you apply for put the effort into it and personalise your cover letters and aim to get it.

I did something like this. Found a phone number to a company after I graduated high school because I wanted to see what the corporate world was like. I knew I wouldn't be able to get an internship by applying online since they all required college degrees or at least in the progress of getting one, so I called them and asked if they were offering any internships. They transferred me to the human resource department and told me to come in for an interview. Ended up working under the director of customer service for a pretty big company doing various jobs, but hey, it worked out, and I can confirm that I will not be headed back to the corporate world.

im doing mechanical

Ok thanks. Ill try and find some numbers and have a chat over the phone.

I am far from an autistic sperg which is probably more the reason to do it.

>civil
>mechanical
TOP KEK. Software engineering is the only engineering where there will always be a job. Enjoy the economic cycles.

I've done it before and recommend at least trying it. The thing is, you have to be very frank about it, do some research, have some luck, and control your expectations.
>Hi, I'm john johnson, I'm looking for a job in the X field and was wondering if I could talk to the X manager for a minute.
You may get shut down here. The guy isn't there or is busy, the secretary is firewalling you, whatever. Nothing you can do. Leave a resumé and move on. It's not always like that, though. Lots of people won't mind, if they do have the spare time, to lend 5 minutes to some young man that came all the way to their door. If they do, be prepared to be as brief as humanly possible. Pitch yourself in 30s or less, thank them for their time, hand them your resumé and leave a copy to their secretary if there is one. The actual manager will 100% lose the copy you give him.
>Hello, I'm john johnson. I just graduated from X university and am looking for a job in this field. I've done Y and Z before, and have some experience with W. Here's my resumé, in case a position opens up some time. Thank you for your time Mr. Hirerfirer.
If they ask you something, you answer. If not, you leave.
This is good interview practice, and might give you a slight edge. Surely it's not worth traveling crosscountry for, but there's no harm in doing it in your vicinity. Just learn to be turned down like a man and you're good to go

if you have passable social skills and aren't ugly or something, there's no reason it won't work

Depends how awkward you are. If your parents are forcing you into it, it's probably not gonna work, but if you're good at that type of thing, it definitely might.