Are relaxed dead hangs unhealthy?

Are relaxed dead hangs unhealthy?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Shoulder-Solution-Prevention-Revised-Expanded/dp/1589096428
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

no, this guy is a faggot, passive hangs are a godgiven for shoulder and elbow health and flexibility

Left is how you would perform a pullup, to recruit the back instead of arms.

So the right is perfectly fine in your opinion and doesn't cause long term damage to your joints?

If performed for extended periods, can be rough on the shoulders, pec tendons, or elbows, especially if you have preexisting problems with any of those joints. But 2 minutes a pop or so is good for back injuries. Use the ab straps.

(Can also be good grip work if done as pictured, Jouko Ahola used to do them for just that reason, but you won't make it two minutes.).

Don't know if it's true, but I've been told wrestlers would would do a dead hang for 5 minutes at the end of their workout.

Hanging dead when doing pullups is a meme

Fucks the shoulders

is it normal that i feel my lower-back stretching doing this?

Yeah that's normal

If it fucks your shoulders wouldn't pull ups also fuck your wrists?

This whole thread is a meme.

Would you say it's beneficial? I get quite a stiff back sometimes and I can't tell if it's helping or doing harm

No

It's not hanging that's the problem

>two completely opposite opinions in this thread, each stating they are right
>every time

pls ancient gods of fitness descend and enlighten us mortals with the brilliant shining truth about this topic

For dead hangs? 100% yes, absolutely no question.
A fully relaxed dead hang with a pronated grip (aka brachial hangs) is one of the most effective shoulder treatments you can do without surgery
At least according to this dr john kirsch faggot
amazon.com/Shoulder-Solution-Prevention-Revised-Expanded/dp/1589096428

I unironically would like to know because I would like to practice pull ups without doing damage to myself. I can't find a definitive answer anywhere. It's like most people just talk out of their ass.

>tfw dr john kirsch faggot turns out to be an ancient god of fitness

For pull ups?
No.

Always have your scapula depressed when doing pull ups.

Scapular pull ups are a good way to teach yourself to cue into scapular depression, and to build scapular strength

>doubting dr john kirsch
>EVER

I'm still looking for one myself.

its just as bad as holding a bag with your elbow unbent

I am not doubting john kirsch.

Kirsch himself only says to relax for dead hangs.

I guaruntee you he would not recommend doing pull ups without scapular depression and retraction.

For dead hangs it is safe, and even beneficial.

For vertical pulling movements, keep your shoulders packed

a bag rarely weighs 40kg

Sure as hell helps me after heavy diddlying. I feel my entire spine relax and stretch to the size it was before training.

Maybe I'm wrong, but don't you have to start from a relaxed hang to perfom a pull up? Like when you grab the bar?

I guess the Marine Corps has been meme'ing me.

>Scapular pull ups are a good way to teach yourself to cue into scapular depression, and to build scapular strength
Try them.

Cheers senpai, I recommend pigeon pose, you'll feel like a new man

>implying usmc gives a good goddamn if you impinge your shoulders after 10 years pull ups.

They probably have.

Most armed forces have shit training methods tbqh

how young are you?

tru but your shoulders are stronger than your elbows plus you hold a bag for a longer duration

Scapula pull ups are way easier than deadhang

Just keep lying to yourself and do those not full ROM pull ups

if you're not doing dead hand you're not better than the crossfit faggots doing kipping butterflies

You're so manly

Is slow and controlled good?

slow,controlled,with small pause on top is the best way to get gains and protect your joints at the same time.

right is absolutely fine, anyone arguing for the left is literally just trying to defend their 90 degree cheating pullup record

If you don't deadhang you're just cheating yourself...

there is no reason to dead hang at all ever, anyone who disagrees is a dumbass that prides himself in his 5 perfect form body weight pull ups and sneers at others who do it for reps and are actually building muscles in ur back, forearms, etc.

Jogging with heavy gear fucks your joints. They don't give a shit.

Yeah, not utilizing the full range of motion of a pullup is definitively a better more well-rounded exercise and will evenly develop your back [spoiler]I feel like you're too stupid to realize I'm being sarcastic, so yeah that was sarcasm[/spoiler]

>projecting that you can only do 5 with good form.
Faggott.

It's as unhealthy for you joints as lifting weights is for your muscles.

Slow and controlled is how you make more gains for any exercise.

Lifting heavy things fucks with your joints

Have you ever seen the amount of cheating that bodybuilders do?

have you ever seen the amount of gear they're on?
have you seen their fucked joints and limited range of motion also? there's a reason jay cutler squats 70kg.

>speaks about fucked joints
>recommends dead hang pullups

Based on my experience, i lose all the scapular tension between reps and i can say that pullups are the only exercise that makes me feel good on the shoulders for the next day.

only if you're a manlet, but seriously, it put a lot of strain on the ligaments and RC if you drop into a dead hang when doing pullups

>I know better than the army

So, when repping pullups, i'd imagine its best not to lock out at the bottom to protect your joints, but when dead hanging there is no joint movement, ie. locking out/ keeping arms straight is ok. Is this right, or am I just bro-sciencing it up over here. this makes the most sense

i do this in mah yoga

>It's like most people just talk out of their ass
So you decided to come to the capital of asstalk?

T. DYEL

wew, never knew that are so many physical therapists on Veeky Forums
good to know

Our arms are designed to climb. Our shoulders are literally a ball socket to give us the max amount not of movement. (Not 100% ROM of course) Dead hanging will not hurt your shoulders, weather by itself or in tandem with pull ups. Your shoulder muscles are supposed to pull you up and all dead hanging does is extend that pulling motion. It is arguably better for you because then your shoulders are trained to be stronger in a larger motion range.

83kg, 5'9
>20kg weighted wide grip pull ups 3x8
>20kg weighted dips 3x8
Will my shoulders last?

Your shoulder is a ball and socket so listen good faggots. For a little while it doesn't matter it's a good stretch but do it weighted or for long periods of time you're going to cause some kind of impingement. For the 1-3 mins of working set or stretch with body weight nothing will happen. Hang there with a 45 tied to you for a while no shit you're going to fuck yourself.

I've been doing dead hangs for years. Feels good man.
Actually better on my shoulders and feels better on my back

No because I have strong shoulders adapted to do them after years of training.

>not using the full range of motion

enjoy your eventual injury

our arms aren't designed faggot. They evolved to climb and swing but have since adapted to tool use we haven't swung around trees for millions of years, at least humans havent you dead-hang savage monkeymen... you little piece of shit

Yes, if your joints arent prepped for them