Is accounting a meme career? Will I make good money in it?

is accounting a meme career? Will I make good money in it?

Thanks bros

it will be automated within ten years, so gl

If AI gets to the point where accounting becomes automated, won't we be at the point where basically 10-20% of the population in the U.S. will be structurally unemployed?

Yeah... so?

The point being that there will be bigger problems than unemployment if that % of people were permanently dislocated in getting jobs. There'd probably be riots in the streets

as a software engineer, I have to tell you for the sake of your future, don't go into accounting.

> tfw ai researchers have maximum job security
get fucked, financefags

Farming used to employ a massive segment of the population before machinery made it easy, and things didn't go to hell.

People adapt or go onto welfare. My advice to you is to study something that is going to be harder to explain as a set of programming instructions, because that job will last longer.

Again, if the argument is "Almost all jobs will be automated except engineering/programming" then literally 25% of the population in the U.S. will be structurally unemployed. We're talking about drivers, cashiers/cooks/, etc. becoming unemployed. That's a significant portion of the workforce

No

Trust me

I work in an accounting firm surrounded by disappointed accountants

The best thing you can do with your CPA is to get into risk consulting. Go to audit, or fraud; or forensics.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but there were riots during the industrial revolution. People were pissed off and literally destroyed the machines because they replaced a whole bunch of jobs. I'm not saying that eventually things will work out for people, but there's going to be a lot of pain in the meanwhile if AI automates as many fields as studies have suggested.

Bro cooks aren't going to be replaced by robots any time soon unless they make exclusively pizzas or pancakes

Also drivers... yeah maybe in 100 years

Point is there's very little job security in accounting.

It's one of those "careers" that you work for 4 years then get fired or replaced and your family has to live poor and you divorce your wife and yada yada yada...

I'm referring to cooks in fast-food dumbass. Again, that's a significant portion of the workforce.

at this point nothing fucking matters because everyone will be replaced by a robot, but theres going to be such a surplus of human labor that meme jobs that require people to do them will have minimal pay. Get ready for the fucking purge people.

and? thats the evolution of the work force, evolve or get left behind

Youll have no job once block chain replaces you tho.

Minimal pay, but since everything is done by robots wouldn't there be essentially no need to work or have money. Everything you need would be provided...

When the rich no longer need the poor to work for them, a large portion of the human population will be cleansed.

>implying rich people who own the robots will freely give stuff away to poor people

Trick is don't do a shit-tier job that could be done by a robot. Problem solved.

Do you really think politicians want mass fucking unemployment on their hands? I bet you anything we will see a major candidate run on a "universal basic income" platform if it gets to the point where 25% of the U.S. is out of jobs due to robots/AI

>set of programming instructions
There's a lot more to certain spaces of accounting than a list of programing instructions.
Corporate accounting could most easily be replaces with AI. The inputs are all in the same format, with the same integrity, same interpretation of accounting standards.

Auditing is a different world.

posted something similar to that in a different thread. Accounting will not be the first thing to get automated, for sure.

No one is safe, not even software developers.

We're already working on AI that can program itself.

In the future people are going to have to merge with machine to prevent our extinction.

oh his name is Bernie Sanders, and only poorcucks and liberal arts major millennials want that since they're basically worthless to society. Should of gone into a STEM field. Less likely to be put out of a job that way.

as a software Engineer I can concur with this statement, only thing is it will take a bit longer, and by that time Im going to be retired.

thats ok. software engineering will be the last job at that point. so ill either be retired or no one in the world will be working

if they don't then there will be a need for people to do things

the rich people will just seclude themselves on their islands and not matter

Ok? Don't be a part of that then

I studied accounting and ended up working in admin at the university I studied at

Class warefare is going to have a literal meaning friend.

You think the rich are just going to sit idly by and wait for the poor to come over their walls to take resources needed to survive? Hell no, the rich view the poor as leeches, sucking off the blood of their class, inferior.

Civilization is only 3 days of hunger away from anarchy. When people are starving in the streets, shits going to get real. Corporations are going to have an even tighter grip and control over everyone once robotic armies start being mass produced.

>is accounting a meme career? Will I make good money in it?
No. You will be upper middle/lower upper class unless you go into business on your own/become a partner in a large firm. If automation is around the corner, transfer out with a MBA

> All this /pol/ memeing ITT
> Hurr just get a better degree bro

I don't know if you guys are retarded or just bad at maths, but there will literally not be enough work to go around. Not everyone can be an engineer/lawyer/accountant, otherwise there will be too many engineers and not enough jobs for them.

You're going to get an even more stratified society - an uber rich elite controlling the capital/machines and the underclass, which wage depression means that they're earning shit all. Unless you see UBI or a wealth tax or something similar, you're going to get riots and maybe revolution.

>inb4 Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk create megafactories to build robots to control and pacify the poor.

>Youll have no job once block chain replaces you tho.
>t. someone who does not know what accounting is.

>caring about people who cannot afford your products

Yep, that's what I'm saying
>hurr durr, a majority of the population will be unemployed? fuck them they deserved it by not getting Engineering/CS degrees

The fact is that most people don't even have the intelligence to go into those fields, and even if they did then the market would become highly oversaturated.

Is accounting not math?

>Is accounting not math?
It is measuring, recording, analyzing etc of financial information. It involves some math

Accounting is being able to use a calculator, and drink scotch.

you're basically functionally retarded.

I mean, is he wrong? If the time comes where 25% of the population is structurally unable to find jobs and the govt. isn't willing to foot the bill for them, there will be mass riots on the streets.

UBI. People will get just enough to survive and consume

Please tell me this is a joke

Also, all of you STEMlets will get replaced by third worlders who will work for 1/3 the cost

>The fact is that most people don't even have the intelligence to go into those fields, and even if they did then the market would become highly oversaturated.

Give them lifelong universal basic income as long as they agree to sterilization.

>having a centralized method of distributing food and resources
>won't become corrupted

Who said it would be perfect? It will prevent mass riots though

> Leaving it to the invisible hand that would have everybody working for nothing and creating an uber rich minority

lmaoing @ ur life

>> Hey i'm a structurally unemployed stonecutter from the bronze age. Want to see my axe? I charge 2 Gold coins p/h

The point is more that if you can choose what to specialize in now. Accounting would not be the best option out there. If you're quite far in sure, but to start. Unless you really LOVE IT aka nobody

>Hey i'm a structurally unemployed stonecutter from the bronze age. Want to see my axe? I charge 2 Gold coins p/h

Yeah, no. This time it's different. The whole point of AI is that it mimics human intelligence. i.e. Even jobs that require advanced knowledge will eventually be automated. Not only will blue collar workers be affected, but white collar workers as well once an AI is developed that can beat the market, do accounting, program, etc.

>control the food source
>tell people receiving food from me they have to vote the way I want them to or be denied food.
>Use the data other companies sell me to figure out how people are voting
>control legislation

Thats not how UBI works you dumbcunt

accounting will always need human input but it seems to have blown up these past few years, I wouldn't go into it if I were you

No you're missing the point brainlet, we're nearing an enigmatic change (singularity basically) wherein "the work force" won't exist anymore. The system will crumble before our eyes and it will be glorious

That's not the UBI you were told, that's the UBI that will happen.

Bezos for sure, musk is on our side

>> Really?
Tell me more about this thing you spoke of, cars you say?

Lol yes

u guys better live it up while you can, killer robots are on the way I'm not even kidding.

>xray vision
>thermal vision
>night vision
>does not hesitate
>capable of intense calculations required to accurately aim projectiles and track moving targets
>muscles designed more effeciently than man
>Does not need to rest
>mass producible

the first nation to create a functioning AI, or mass produces robots first is going to control the fate of man.

and by nation, I mean corporation.

The government will not be able to compete against an army of robots, whether they be designed for military purposes, or general purpose.

We cyberpunk now

You're all fucking retards and 90% coopt the idea of automation. What are the opinions of actual accountants?

You can't outrun it without leaving the planet
You can't hide from it without leaving the planet
You can't outfight it.
Your only option realistically to escape this dystopian future we are headed to is through Veeky Forums memes, getting rich enough to buy your own rocket shape, and leaving humanity behind (rip)

I'm actually an accountant. The field is fine and so diverse that you'll probably get a job doing something relevant. The field will probably adapt to automation in some respect. Most transactional stuff is already outsourced to India; it's more about analysis and adding value.

God Bezos is the biggest cancer, why can't business simply exist to make their companies money? Call me a naive communist but I mean I just think its gone way too far.

Once, I heard Pharmacy could end up being a 7 year degree that pays legitimately 60K a year because Amazon is going to completely automate the entire thing for no real reason at all.

Just to make money on drugs, there is no real reason to destroy the entire pharmacy profession but its like fuck you, ima hire me some pajeets to come up with it, design it, then it'll pay for itself in 10 years, sorry for those with 200K debts, but we gotta make money.

No this is not t.Pharmacist but its just a thing I read.