My deadlift has gone down dramatically in just a few days. Sunday I was deadlifting 275 for 5x5. Now on Thursday...

My deadlift has gone down dramatically in just a few days. Sunday I was deadlifting 275 for 5x5. Now on Thursday, I can barely do 245 for 1 set of 5. What gives? Why has my deadlift gone down so much? My lower back is a little stiff but nothing I haven't experienced before

Other urls found in this thread:

i1.someimage.com/gqVh82h.png
stronglifts.com/deadlift/1x5vs5x5/
livestrong.com/article/497414-back-injuries-from-deadlifts/
markpieciak.com/2014/02/deadlifting-part-5-injuries/
stronglifts.com/deadlift/back-pain/
livestrong.com/article/514878-lower-back-sprain-from-deadlifts/
muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-tips/how-treat-and-prevent-lower-lumbar-injury
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it's a hugely mental lift. your muscles can still lift what you lifted before, but your head wasn't in the right place.

what's your frequency like? you shouldn't be trying to diddlylift more than once or twice in a week. each time completely fries your CNS if you're exerting yourself enough.

I'm still at the gym rn. I deadlift 2 times a week

And also I squat heavy two times a week with no belt if that matters

>5x5
You might want to do 1x5 sometimes, deadlift is harder to your body than you may think.

I feel like that's not enough volume though

It is

>asks for advice
>ignores it
Wew lad

You won't feel it right away.

2x5 is the most you should do, ESPECIALLY at that weight. It's gonna put a huge strain on your back to do 2pl8+ deadlifts 5x5.

>CNS
How to rest your CNS?

Sleep, you dummy.

By not lifting

Follow up question, why is my squat so close to my deadlift? I squat 300 and deadlift 315

what does it mean that it fries your CNS? what is the physiology behind it?

If you're OP, then it's because you're doing high volume, and not progressing your weight. And because your legs are probably just stronger than your core, which will impact your deadlifts

I am progressing my weight though, could it be proportions, I have really stubby legs

"I think it's just an internet broscience term, used by people unfamiliar with neuromuscular physiology. I have yet to see a neural mechanism proposed to explain it. Neither has Stef [his gf], who has a terminal degree in neuroscience." - Rippetoe

Hard to say. What accessory exercises do you do for your core and back? What is limiting you on your deadlifts, the pulling or holding?

My sticking point is getting it off the ground. I don't do any accessories that target my lower back or core directly. But sometimes it skips out of my hands. I've used chalk a few times and it's helped a lot but then the gym staff got all pissy with me. My gym is full of cucks. Someone complained because I was deadlifting without shoes

thanks, that's what I thought too after spending few hours on pubmed trying to find something sensible

Hmm. I'd say it's your legs if it weren't for the fact that you squat as much, and I imagine your form should be fine if you're lifting 300+. What is your routine, and at what stage of it do you do your deadlifts?

>My sticking point is getting it off the ground.
thats where you use the quads the most

Monday: Chest/Triceps
Tuesday: Legs
Wednesday: Shoulders
Thursday: Back/Biceps
Friday: Chest/Triceps
Saturday: Legs
Sunday: Back/Biceps
Deadlift is the first exercise on my Back/Bicep Days

>no rest days
If its working keep doing it, if not do a push pull split or upper lower. Or run ed-coan deadlift routine.

Try doing deads just once a week. Have you noticed deadlifting twice is better?

Yes I definitely feel like this gives me the most progress. And since I enjoy lifting, I don't mind lifting 7 days a week.

Same principle behind not being able to study effectively 12 hours a day.

Interesting. You're natty I suppose? I migt try and do deads twice. Do you just do heavy deads each session (I would think this would hinder progress) or rotate between strength and hypertrophy sets/reps

I'm natty. I go heavy each time. Once I started doing deads twice a week my max shot up.

Hmm. Well i'm going to say its def the 5x5 hindering your progress. I say drop to 3 sets of 5 or even 2 sets and see how that goes.

Your lifting to often senpai.

I DL twice a week once heavy the other for volume, i have a deload every month and lift 4 days a week.

Since doing this my DL has gone from 220kg to 260kg for 1 in 6 months

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. For some reason I'm not handling as much volume as I used to on most lifts. I think I need more sleep/food as well

On this I went from 235 to 315 in 6 months

How do you soothe lower back soreness? Icy hot and aspirin? Or is there something else that I'm not doing?

Is that lb ?

Yes

1x5 is fine. You can do lunges, reverse hypers, and light RDLs to get extra hamstring and glute volume

has your diet changed at all?

Fix your form

Just a bad day. Strength doesn't go away that easily, but your ability to display strength might fluctuate.

I think lifting every day targeting different muscle groups is the best you can do, diddies 2 to 3 times a week with a weight you can do for at least 2x5

No change at all. I'm bulking rn

Post injury muscle inhibition is a pretty well known reflex. If you generate a sufficient inflammatory response in your muscles and tendons, I'd guess that this mirrors the chemicals produced by your body after a strain or fracture. Can't be bothered to cite this.

This isn't exactly the same as a "fried CNS" but it would involve the brain and reduce strength.

lol because you fucking killed yourself with volume on sunday. Take a fucking break. you don't need that much volume for a deadlift ever, and your CNS is just definitely not recovered from the shitfucking you gave it on sunday.

do a 1x5 once a week and add weight every time.

Not OP, but whats the issue with twice a week ? If you keep it low volume. Like 2x5

Yeah just throw 5 kgs on every session til you pull 350 kgs lol
>implying you need to train the deadlift to get good at the deadlift
Be careful so you don't overtrain xddddddd

1x5 is low volume. but you want it to be relatively high intensity. there's no point of a light deadlift.

So would 1x5 twice a week be suitable? For bodybuilding

You don't deadlift heavy at 5x5 you stupid asshole

Literally all programs for strength advise much less GEE I WONDER IF THEY KNOW MORE THAN YOU

what do you think you're going to achieve by doing it more often? The 1x5 should be heavy enough that you don't want to deadlift for the rest of the week

>5X5 not enough volume for deadlift

>what do you think you're going to achieve by doing it more often? The 1x5 should be heavy enough that you don't want to deadlift for the rest of the week
What's your reasoning behind saying that 1x5 once a week is the best way to train deadlifts for a bodybuilding purpose?

Mostly beginner programs do that.

>implying any serious strength coach would recommend doing heavy deadlifts for more than one set

Many strength coaches recommend doing deadlifts for more than one set per week(for example Dietmar Wolf, Boris Sheiko, Mike Tuscherer). Rank beginners can get great results on doing extremely low volume for deadlifts though.

Look, if you are looking for a ticket to snap land, home of snap city, just climb aboard the multiple deadlift sets train and update us from the hospital. Either that or you will make some unheard of massive gains that most everyone making programs know nothing about and then you can updates us about that and we will all learn something new!

i1.someimage.com/gqVh82h.png

Can you give me 5 examples of people who blew their back by doing more than one set of deadlifts per week? Since you claim it's so dangerous to deadlift more than five reps per week you shouldn't have any problems finding 5 examples of people injuring themselves doing just that.

oh yeah let me go to the online injury repository where they list all the injuries

I don't think we are just talking about multiple sets per week here either, just sets across during a workout.

>Starting strength
> Diddylift 1x5

>Stronglifts 5x5
>Diddylift 1x5

>GSLP
>Diddylift 1x5

>Reg Park's
>Diddylift 1x5

Which novice programs advice 5x5 deadlifts m8?

But what if you are only lets say at 3 plates for a 5 rep max , woudln't doing deads twice a week doing two sets of 3-5 not get your strength up??

the deadlift is so taxing to your CNS that it makes more sense to train it with super high intensity once a week rather than any other way.

So you have no idea at all what you're talking about. Got it.

I said that mostly beginner programs advice low volume deadlifts m8.

Yeah if you are lifting enough that you can do 3-5 sets 2 times per week then you could be lifting way more and do it for 1 set and that is going to benefit you more than the lower weight you would have to be using to do 3-5 sets. I mean, shit, why not do 10 sets of 12 at some ridiculously low weight? With your reasoning that would be even better.

I am pretty sure we can be aware of certain lifts being more injury-prone without there being specific examples listed online of particular cases of when it happened to some specific person. I think if you research deadlift injury you will find that people DO injure themselves with the deadlift.

So you literally have nothing to support your claim that I'm gonna injure myself if I do more than 1 set of deadlifts per week with other than
>Dude I'm probably right, trust me

So I just tried hook grip for the first time. At 300lbs it felt like my thumb was kill so I put the bar back down. Anyone have some of those good guides to hook grip?
Also OP you should dl 1x5 heavy per week. Do a light set on another day if you want. The main value of the dl is that it stresses your muscles to the max.

Okay, I hear you. So by doing 1x5 of heavy weight , its just as good as moderate weight of 2-3 sets of 3-5 reps because it stresses the body so much?

Most serious programs advise low volume deadlifts full stop. Because most serious programs are written by people smart enough to know that very few people can recover from a max effort set of them in enough time for multiple sets in a single session.

ib4 you tell us all about how you diddly'd 500 5x5 in your first workout and caused a nearby spin class to drown in their own gash splash.

OK I won't provide a link demonstrating that lifting causes fatigue, surely you are not too stupid to understand that this is true.

Can we assume that your form suffers when you are fatigued or do I have to find evidence for that statement?

Assuming these first two things are true here are some articles discussing that deadlifting can cause injuries or that deadlifting multiple sets is not necessary and why:

stronglifts.com/deadlift/1x5vs5x5/
livestrong.com/article/497414-back-injuries-from-deadlifts/
markpieciak.com/2014/02/deadlifting-part-5-injuries/
stronglifts.com/deadlift/back-pain/
livestrong.com/article/514878-lower-back-sprain-from-deadlifts/
muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-tips/how-treat-and-prevent-lower-lumbar-injury

yeah in particular the central nervous system which has to do a lot of work to recruit the number of muscles necessary to do the deadlift properly

>Most serious programs advise low volume deadlifts full stop
Define low volume. Then explain why for example TSA, Sheiko and Norweigan style programming contains a lot of deadlift volume compared to what Veeky Forums thinks is the human limit.

>stronglifts
>livestrong
>muscleandfitness
Fuck you I'm not interested in some retards personal opinions.

>Fuck you I'm not interested in some retards personal opinions.
lol u mad

>5x5 on the most taxing compound lift

Are you retarded?

By reading this thread here's what I would suggest.
1. Your volume is too high, 5x5 on deadlift is a retarded amount of volume
2. No rest, you need at least two rest days per week.
3. Weak off the floor, do front squats
4. Get liquid chalk, if your gym won't allow that, use straps on your heavier sets and do some grip accessories
5. Little difference between squat and deadlift leads me to believe your deadlift form is bad
6. You have good days and you have bad days, just do what you can to prepare for the next training session (eating, hydrating, resting) and don't make up excuses or start thinking that you're not going to hit your goals

Forgot to mention that if you're not allowed to take off your shoes, then you can deadlift in wrestling shoes (if you're willing to spend the money) or some other hard, flat soled shoes

Most likely due to fatigue from lifting 7 days a week, there is a reason people have rest days and most powerlifters dont do a 5 day bro split, and have deload weeks.

Unless your goal is to lose weight it is counterproductive to not have any rest.

Use the hook grip in your warm ups at first. When it doesn't hurt anymore (which is soon) start using it in your working sets for as many reps as your thumb can handle.