/Running/ General

/Running/ General

>What are you guys training for?
>Do you run road, trail or treadmill?
>stey hidratted

Other urls found in this thread:

runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/the-ultimate-guide-to-shin-splints-for-runners/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Training for a warrior dash for shits and giggles (I ought to be able to do that without issue now), and to pass the physical requirements for police academy

i use an elliptical machine. easier on the joints

I do it for fun, still waiting on my ankle injury its been 4 weeks now, almost fully healed. Life is depressing without running

Currently training for my first marathon. My goal is probably 3:40-3:45.

Try 3:00:00
Youll feel more accomplished

Also use gw 501516 for more endurance

My half marathon was 1:47 so I'm not setting my expectations too high. Figure I can improve my time and try and qualify for Boston after I finish my first race.

Hello /Run/

Been running comfortably for a year now with no injuries, these past few days I've had constant leg DOMS.

Wat do and whys it happening all of a sudden?

Are you running on uneven terrain? I've noticed going from flat roads to uneven roads or trails can hurt your muscles sometimes. Went backpacking the other weekend, despite being well-trained in running my legs were pretty sore simply because of the increased grade hills and roots.

that's a lot of pressure you're cooking up

Cheers mate, that actually makes sense switched up my running routes last week

I'm doing couch to 5k and I burn myself out running too hard, but when I go slower I feel like going too slow. I walk at 4mph, how fast should I run?

>Tfw serious runner, fractured my ankle and now I can't run for a while, seriously depressed
I've been lifting so I have something to do, but still

I think 12min/mile is a good start for noobs, then work your way to 10, and then 9. It depends how much you weigh though. A fat person and a muscular person with no cardio training probably have different standards.

Started HIIT. 3 times so far
I do 20sec run and 1 min rest. 6 times
My goal is to build a better cardiovascular health, more stamina and lose a bit of the excess fat while bulking

Iktfb, recovering from meniscus surgery, haven't been able to run or lift for 6 months now

Will leg strength develop or is it better to just cut it out?

Guys after I run for a while I feel a weird thin in my leg
When the leg goes down to the ground, due to me being tired and not used to running, it bends much more than it should, like if I would just crumble down, but I dont.
My question is, what weak muscle is causing this...quad, hamstring or calf?

Not training for anything, I just love the act of running and the feeling afterwards

Kinda countryside/lake/field stuff, super nice

Thanks for the reminder!

your leg... bends?

Just started running every day, trying to get in shape for the army. A couple days ago my ankle was hurting so I took the day off, scared I was going to injure it. Today my leg was hurting about three inches above the ankle so I'm doing the same. How can I tell the difference between early signs of what could become serious injuries, and regular aches and pains?

I mean at the knee, like it should, but I lose strength and it goes lower than it should

>body adapts to stress
Just keep doing it. You might get calf gains and your lower body lifts might stall

How do I get started in running? I am fat.

I train to maintain cardiovascular health and to maximize my experience of our short summers here. My town is laid out perfect for runners, heaps of intertwining routes by/over water and through parkland.

Couch to 5k. Lose weight so it won't be stressful to your knees.

If it's in the joint or in the arch, I wouldn't run on it until it subsides. That's just me.

If it persists, maybe you could use better shoes or orthotics?

>Boston
>pressure cooking

What if I started biking on days that I'm feeling pain? Would that further agitate the possible injury?

It's definitely worth a try. Climb up the biggest hills you can find, otherwise it is too easy for runners to coast on a bike. It is a different kind of burn, but it will keep your cardio up.

Alternate: sometimes when I can't run for a couple of months, I do stairs. My best time up the CN Tower (1776 stairs, 144 turns) was 14:42 a few years ago. Stairs are gruelling. Double-step as long as you can, and then work on increasing how long you can double-step. At my best I was something like 700 stairs before I started alternating doubles and singles. On stairs, you will have to find your pace all over again. Just like running, it's not as fast as you think. Also, you're going to sweat like a fucker and your lungs will be the dry and hot like the desert.

Cycling is easier :)

I have been running for a few months now but I only really started taking it seriously this past month. It is p awesome. I run for good cardiovascular health and it is nice to be able to eat more without worrying about being a fat ass.

Question:
What to snack on and how long before a run?
My route is about 5km.
If I eat normally and go do a run in the evening/night some 10 minutes into the run I'll feel like my kidneys are about to fall out through my arse along with a larger portion of my intestines.
If I run in the morning without eating anything and not having to worry about bowel movements I'm even more of a weak fuck than usual and I barely have the strength to complete the route within the same time as the previous run.

>tfw started running slower and the shin splints and general pain disappeared

Take longer between your run days to rest, see if it improves or not

Enjoy looking like a skeleton runners while all the chads who lift here get pussy and you can have the guys with since thats what you look like.

why is lefuff holding hands with a 13 year old girl?

Damn that's worse than I have it
How are you dealing with it?

For me it has to be 2+ hours before my run. Otherwise I feel it bubbling around in there and quickly get sidestitch.
Carbs > fat because you need less oxygen to convert carbs to ATP compared to fat.

Hey /Run/, been doing a mile every morning for the last month or month and a half and I've been making decent progress, working down my 12 minute mile to 10. Sometimes when I'm really pushing myself though I'll feel some tightness in my traps, particularly my right one... why is that? Not sure how I can avoid it or prevent it

I'll try bananas next time, thanks!

It's cold and raining outside, what do? I don't wanna be cold and wet, but I also don't be wanna be lazy and sit on my ass

jumping some rope is a decent alternative, I'd imagine

Why not bicycle?

let your arms hang/swing freely?
Better running posture?
Better breathing method/pace/pattern?

Cant really say though maybe these will help

>roiding for cardio gains
Is it worth it? Or should I just stick to HGH and other peptides?
>inb4 youre still not natural
I know.

im doing about 5 miles a day. ive been playing with the idea of doing a marathon. im not even breathing hard after 5 miles.

Running is something to do to maintain shape/cardio to play a sport. Running is not a sport, faggots.

Just to help loose some wheight
Road in the outback of the Netherlands. Breddy comfy
>stey hidratted

Ok

The Boston race was a real blast

You're not running hard enough, faggot

my nignog

Just really started running. What's a respectable time for 5k? Need a good goal time to train towards.

Are you spending too much time in the anabolic, rather than aerobic range? Keep track of your heart rate if you can, it can go up higher than you think if you're running in summer temperatures.

Don't run while you're fat, imho. Walk, cycle, swim, whatever you can stick to, and start running after you shed some lbs. Running is high impact, and running while significantly overweight can seriously fuck up your knees.

Sounds like the beginning of shin splints to me.

You probably just need to relax. Make sure you're breathing rhythmically. When my breathing gets erratic I tense up in my shoulders/traps too.

Human top running speed 60km/h

>Sounds like the beginning of shin splints to me.
What do I do about it?

fa/tg/guy here
GM says i need to lose weight.

Veeky Forums, how do i run

Like walking, but faster.

>Training for college police technologyprogram pre-admission physical test (2.3km in 12 min)
>I run on the 105M track at my gym and outdoors sometimes

God damn I fucking hate cardio..

Make sure your jogging is aerobic. I used to jog just a bit too quickly and had to take too many breaks and ended up running less overall.

Shin splints can be caused by an overtaxed muscle or from stress fractures. What you can do about it depends on what's causing it. Is the pain slightly to the inside or outside of your leg? Or right down the middle?

There are a few things that do help regardless of the cause. Make sure your form is good. If you're pronating or striking on your heel, getting some better shoes may help. Running on softer surfaces can help. Stretch before and after every run.

this article may be worth a read: runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/the-ultimate-guide-to-shin-splints-for-runners/

Aren't carbs already stored as fat in those 2 hours?

is jogging brawn or finesse?

Endurance with a bit of finesse.

Sprinting is brawn.

How do I get runner's high?

I've heard that eating less meat/a vegetarian diet can really help with running because protein tends to be pretty hard to break down.

So maybe the meal before you go running scale down the meat a bit and see what happens?

Then you've never 'ran'

Just to keep fit and burn a bit of fat. Long term goal at the moment is the great north run but that is a long way away
Treadmill
>stey hidratted
u too m8

Protein does take more time and resources to break down, but I wouldn't say it's bad for runners at all. Eating a high protein meal after a long run seems to speed my recovery.

Before a run though, carbs are where it's at. You burn through your glycogen stores in as little as 20-30 minutes if you're running hard, or running uphill, or running in the heat. I don't worry too much for casual runs, but if I'm racing or going for a pb (or just planning on training HARD) I eat a fairly large, carb heavy meal a couple hours before I run. I like banana smoothies with some peanut butter in them, or potatoes, or rice.

Run until you can't anymore, then keep on running.

My legs can handle it but I usually get side aches or have to take a break to catch up my breath after running too long

complex carbs would be better than sugars for this, right?

oatmeal instead of a chocolate bar

Work on your cardio-fitness. Have you ever heard the "run slower to run run faster" thing? That's true in my experience. Stay in your optimal heart rate range for longer periods of time rather than going whole ham. You'll stop getting those cramps and breathing issues in no time.

shit.

How the shit do I even start running? Is it a good idea? I'm underweight as fuck.

Yes, absolutely.

>TFW bought Nike fs run lite 3s for $40
>TFW no scared to wear them in and make them dirty

Fuck I hate being autistic, I just want to run with new shoes mane

Tough Mudder.

~13 miles but with around 20 stops for obatacles. Did one last year but Haven't run since aug

I would love to get from 26' to 20' 5k though

I'm 32

>broke 25min 5k today
Took me 4 months, onwards to 20min!

>shit.
Why? Are you completely out of shape? Jogging will BUILD your endurance, pal.

>tfw take 35 mins for 5k kilometers
I hope you're not talking miles, if so I'm even more of a loser

congrats though

I started at about that 4 months ago
Just keep running fampai

I'm training for a marathon in September. Currently I'm road running since that is what the marathon is going to be on. The only time I'm on the treadmill is if it late at night during winter time.

And yes, I stay plenty hydrated.

Sounds like you just don't have enough endurance muscle in that leg. How long have you been running? Does it still bend if you slow your pace? Even to a walk?

What is optimal range?

Congrats. I'm more of a long-distance runner, so my 5k PR isn't that great (21 min). I got it the other day during the 4th of July race, but damn, that was hard since I'm used to really pacing myself for way longer distances.

Heart rate can fuck with HGH when running, be careful friend

Optimal in terms of cardiovascular gains is about 50-60% of your maximum. There are calculators online, but in general, your "max" heart rate should be 220 less your age in years.

I'm doing couch to 5k right now too and I have this same problem. I just take a break halfway through for 90 seconds to solve that issue.

Fuck me. And I was proud of hitting 180 the other day

starting to run because i am a 24y/M/240 pound fat fuck.

The time it takes you to get to that heart rate is more important than just reaching it. The longer it takes to get there, the stronger your heart is, essentially.

Fag who's just taken up jogging wondering if a 30min to and back loop every other day will be bad for my joints. I wear proper footwear and only go at a brisk pace. No running full speed or any of that shit.

Also, benefits aside from trimming the fat and improving my lungs?

>did 17:50 5k when 14
>Want to get big, tired of being skinny
>Do brosplits because kiddy
>Do ss when 16
>Realize I'm not that good at lifting
>I was only ever good at running
>Now I suck at running

Doing distance running and calisthenics now, feel better, but am skinnier. I want to start climbing.

I'm training for boxing
Run an interval sprinted/jogged 5k
I run on trails or on the shoulder of the road

you should start with walking

but the other day i ran 4.16 mi in 46:12....

Are these the greatest running shoes ever created?

Gtfo here with those pronounced heel shits

Anyone?

Are you fat? Is yes, then yes. If no, then yes unless you properly stretch and warm up.