Hey guys, I have had anterior shoulder pain for quite some time now and have been trying to find the cause of it...

Hey guys, I have had anterior shoulder pain for quite some time now and have been trying to find the cause of it. Hurts to press and all that. Randomly scratching a part of my back today and I pushed down and it was incredible pain. The spot you see with a piece of tape on it is the exact spot of pain. I would press it, and it was so painful. I am thinking a trigger point of some sort? But after pressing this hard, the pain radiated to the front part of my shoulder for a few minutes and then I knew this had to be connected some how. What exactly is this muscle, and could it be the cause of the anterior shoulder pain I have felt for some time now? It hurts in the front by the pec minor tendon where it attaches to the corocoid process. Would love to hear input.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=02HdChcpyBs
b-reddy.org/2015/01/09/training-the-biceps-when-you-have-shoulder-problems/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Massage infraspinatus. Particularly along the medial border of the scapula and just below the spine of the scapula.

Is that where the muscle is i have tape on? Looked like the teres major

mia

Rotator cuff issue so it can't be the teres major. If the pain is in the front too, it's definitely rotator cuff. Teres minor is a rotator cuff muscle.

hmm

It looks like it is the teres minor exactly doesnt it. Like if I press it against the wall with a lacrosse ball. I feel incredible pain throughout my arm and specifically the anterior part of the shoulder

Possibly a rotator cuff (specifically the tendons) tear/tendinitis/tendinosis. Radiating pain indicates possible nerve irritation.

Spinal/intercostal nerves could potentially (but not necessarily) be involved, as they innervate the dermatomes (skin regions) and can cause a variety of symptoms when irritated.

Would possibly benefit from physical therapy, failure of PT to alleviate issue would mean it makes sense to get imaging (MRI most likely) of the shoulder to look for abnormalities.

i think you mean posterior

I'll translate because unlike him I'm not a cunt.
Massage the inside edge of your shoulder blade below the horizontal bony ridge of that shoulder blade.

No, I definitely do not mean posterior.

bump

Try shoulder dislocations with a bare barbell whenever you can for a few sets. Make sure you keep your elbows straight so that you dont flare your scapula. Fixed my shoulder twinge.

Well that doesnt really explain the spots of injury, that would just help with mobility which I dont really lack

are you following a lifting routine?

OP here. My question is, why when I put force on the teres minor in the back there, it radiates incredible pain throughout the front of my arm and the anterior part of my shoulder. I need to understand this. Putting pressure on it like its a trigger point but my whole entire arm goes into incredible pain. And this is weird to me since the teres minor isnt on the arm, how does it effect it so much?

bump

Like this?

have the same thing, think it's rotator cuff related, probably a result of shit posture. you can roll it with a ball against the wall just don't go ham. you'll feel your shoulder big time when you roll that spot on the back

hEY DUDE IM the same guy from a few days ago. But it isnt the infraspinatus, its the teres minor. Im 99% sure of this. And the book doesnt have much info on the teres minor, it doesnt explain the pain all over the arm

will it eventually get better, like there wont be much pain when doing it?

shit i don't know, i haven't fixed mine. best thing i did for it was get a proper massage, haven't done that in a while though. i'd work on rolled shoulder posture

look you need to keep the inflammation down in the shoulder joint and strengthen the rotator cuff and deltoid

800mg Advil 2-3 times daily for 5 days
take with food or protein shake
absolutely 0 gym time during this time
give the joint time to rest and heal any damage you've already caused

look up rotator cuff warm up exercises using rubber bands
do them light and controlled, proper form is a must.
Don't over stretch, keep range of motion pain free.
don't do them every day, just on days you use the shoulder (back and chest day)
youtube.com/watch?v=02HdChcpyBs
do those with resistance bands

for lifts
keep elbows in during bench press and retract shoulder blades to support the shoulder joint
avoid incline bench press for now and incline dumbbell press
avoid sitting dumbbell press

do lateral raises, 5 pounds, 10-12 reps, controlled movement, don't raise it too high. no higher than parallel.

look up proper form of standing overhead press, biggest thing is to shrug your shoulders during the movement, this provides space for the suprispinatus tendon

work chest and do lateral raises on the same day

if you want to overhead press, do it on back day

3-4 days rest then do chest
3-4 days rest then do back
repeat

take it slow and u can see gains

I still do the resistance band warmups on chest and back day. i work shoulders on chest day.
current split is:
Pull
x
Push
Legs
x

mine might be more severe then that

thanks m8, screencapt

>keep elbows in during bench press and retract shoulder blades to support the shoulder joint
>avoid incline bench press for now and incline dumbbell press
>avoid sitting dumbbell press
why? why not avoid barbell?

>work chest and do lateral raises on the same day
does working chest help anything?

Do you have anterior scapular (and/or humeral) tilt?
If so, fix that.

But really, go see a PT.

Barbell shoulder press aka OHP keeps the arms a constant distance the entire movement. And is more stable. Dumbells take more control, and at the top of the movement, the hands come together which can be painful when recovering from this injury. OHP can greatly strengthen the rotator cuff and deltoid muscles when performed properly and regularly.
My shoulder issues have completely disappeared, I OHP once a week.
Most people like to work chest, you can avoid working chest if u want, but then where's ur gains

I have the same thing except it doesn't radiate to the front, it just hurts like HELL when I press on it or accidentally hit my shoulder

>Barbell shoulder press aka OHP keeps the arms a constant distance the entire movement.
What's this supposed to mean?

OHP is only good for front delts, not lateral and certainly not rear delts.
Getting a strong OHP also doesn't necessarily mean your rotator cuff muscles will be strong too.

Yes it does. Because the cuff must stabilize the shoulder throughout the lift.
OHP keeps your hands at a constant distance throughout the lift.

The rotator cuff does stabilize, but that doesn't mean OHPs will develop them enough to get a strong rotator cuff.

If you're referencing distance, you have to say between which two points.
I assume you mean between the hands, as opposed to dumbell presses, but it's not clear from what you wrote.

Not terribly since ive been working on it, but ive gamed many many years and i have a feeling it had something to do with it

Idk how to work chest without putting my shoulders at risk. My pec minor is probably really tight too and i cant seem to get to that

Make sure you're not confusing it with scapular protraction.
Look up scapular and humeral anterior tilt.

This is a great article on how to fix anterior tilt: b-reddy.org/2015/01/09/training-the-biceps-when-you-have-shoulder-problems/
Basically, do very strict curls with a specific form.

I said between your hands. Hands. Plural. You have two of them. Implies between two points.
C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER.

Yes, you did.
That still doesn't specify the distance between which two points though.

>OHP keeps your hands at a constant distance throughout the lift.
could mean
>keeps your hands at a constant distance from your shoulders
or whatever

You should have said
>OHP keeps your hands at a constant distance from eachother throughout the lift.

I'm not hating on you.
If you don't state clearly what you mean, people will take you less serious.

it means stop lifting for 2 weeks and then do some light shoulder exercises

I am thinking of the "down and back: movement, scapula retraction, not protraction

>The excessive rowing and pulling not only gets people nowhere, it’s detrimental.

Fucking dropped. Does the person in the article even understand fucking physiology

Down and back is depression and retraction, respectively.
Up is elevation, forward is protraction.

Look up anterior/posterior scapular tilt.
It's yet another different movement.

The scapulae can also upwardly and downwardly rotate.
This happens in an overhead press, for example.

It seems you are the one who doesn't understand physiology.

Nice rebuttal faggot. Stop giving the OP bad information when you have literally NO idea what youre talking about. Like most of Veeky Forums unironically

>Like most of Veeky Forums unironically
Like you.

You continue the toddler bants while I laugh please

Fuck you

You think that personal trainer knows more than actual professionals? lol

bump

bump

Is it okay to swim if I have a slight shoulder injury? It doesn't hurt while swimming but I doubt it's helping the injury heal

noo