Official /Straightedge/ thread

I’m curious why people on Veeky Forums aren’t really into straight edge. Thought maybe I’d start an official /straightedge/ thread.

>Basic rules: No Drinking Alcohol, No Drugs, No Smoking.

I’m not going to be an articulate spokesman for it, but here are a few elements: clean living, bodily and mental purity, having control.

The song that started it all: “Straight Edge” by Minor Threat youtube.com/watch?v=OMybxAoSvS8

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Kmbc5r7zMk8)
youtube.com/watch?v=GrVeg2KELiU)
youtube.com/watch?v=FasooTugheQ
youtube.com/watch?v=9aZmmzlRPTY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Here are the most compelling things TO ME that I want to share:

>Taking life seriously
Alcohol is straight up bad for you. Next morning, you wake up and feel like shit. Why poison yourself with alcohol and cigarettes, giving your money to people who really want to watch you die, just because other people are too boring to be able to have fun without it? Or because you’re too scared to talk to a girl without liquid courage? Seriously, nut up and do things on your own. Anything else ain’t natty.
>True rebellion
Right now, being straight edge seems like the most punk rock thing to do. Whether it's a bunch of chads chugging brewskis or lame ass bitches on tinder talking about drinking wine on a friday night like it's the funniest inside joke ever, most people get fucked up. If you don’t want to be like most people, this is a good place to start. Seriously, look out for how often people talk about drinking just because they have nothing else to say, it’s a fucking joke.
>Toughness
It’s not about abstaining from drinking/drugs out of a place of fear like some ‘drugs r bad’ PSA. I’ve been drunk countless times and done lots of drugs. It’s that I can cope in the real world without getting fucked out of my mind. Most people are just dealing with their loneliness in a way they think looks cool, hoping someone else will come and love them so they can stop drinking/doing drugs.
>Positive Living
A lot of straight edge is negative; no drinking, drugs etc, but it’s mostly a positive movement. It’s about living your best life, getting outside even if it’s hard. Sticking up for yourself and making your own choices, even if that means changing yourself. I’ve never heard music with lyrics like these. Songs like Wake up and Live by Youth of Today (youtube.com/watch?v=Kmbc5r7zMk8) or Stand Still by Gorilla Biscuits (youtube.com/watch?v=GrVeg2KELiU) about the life-sucking power of TV (even more apt in the netflix age).

edgefags are worse than vegans

/AutismGeneral/

Drinking and smoking is fun once in a blue moon though lighten the fuck up you autist.

Because straight edge kids are fucking obnoxious, shit up every show they go to (worse than the skinheads), and most become alcoholics when they turn 21, kill yourself kid.

At that point you might as well become a Mormon tbqh

I think it's cool. Respect.

I quit drinking and doing drugs because i had to. Because i was too weak to their charm. A sickly sweet poison that almost consumed me.

I'm not proud, i'm weak. So are you

After i quit drinking and smoking i got so much more motivation i started working out and now have no urge to do either because they have detrimental effects on my state of mind.

I don't think a straightedge lifestyle would allow me to continue sucking down workout supplements.
Also I like beer.

youtube.com/watch?v=FasooTugheQ

in theory it sounds logical but in reality such people are usually just like the drug addicts. all of the straight edge people don't shut up about it and as everything which you should be doing "for yourself" becomes something which you identify with way too much and act superior which is a major turn off for the majority of social relations.

Chill guy: I don't drink or smoke, thanks though.
Complete autist: STRAIGHT EDGE LIFE X X

>mfw gay straight edge

this to be honest my family

i like this song though youtube.com/watch?v=9aZmmzlRPTY

Straight Edge means no sex, but you probably aren't getting any anyway, you just need an excuse.

To each their own.

Kek

WEEEEELLLLLL

Sounds like an Anal Cunt song.

I don't consider myself straight edge because at times I will enjoy a drink but I've stopped smoking my e-cig, cigarettes, and weed despite the fact I have a medicinal card.

It's really helped me motivate myself on other things in my life, including working out and watching my macros hardcore.

Not to say people cannot do it if they smoke and drink, I'm just implying I cannot.

if you choose to not drink, smoke or do drugs then fine, it's an admirable life choice. but when you start using that decision to develop some kind of superiority complex over anyone who lives differently then you're doing it wrong

personally i'm trying to quit drinking due to the horrible long term health outcomes of [heavy] drinking and its negative effect on cognition and neurogenesis. i can't just stop at a few drinks, i always have 12+ once i start, and i do this a few times a week. so yeah, i need to stop before it gets out of hand

Vegetarian here.

Have always wanted to be straight edge but im too old to really care about this stuff now. When you get older you learn how to moderate it naturally so you don't even think about it being an issue when you have control.

I still have complete respect for the entire ideology and all that though.

I only drink once every six months so im virtually edge.

>it's le horrible hangover maymay episode

Treat alcohol like you would treat food. Nobody thinks it's normal to down 20 cheeseburgers in one sitting. You should not drink 20 shots either.

While I live a straight edge lifestyle I don't see why some people shill so hard for it.

I don't drink because I used to be an alcoholic and I don't do drugs because they could fuck up my life and career. I workout because it's fun. With that said plenty of people can go out and drink or smoke on the weekends with little to no downsides.

If they see a net positive utility exchange why not pursue those hobbies.

Idk, str8 edgers are too much like vegans/atheists for my taste. Any hyper vocal minority that insists that everyone should be just like them is shit in my book.

if you really are fit this lifestyle should be fucking normal. If you drink, smoke and do drugs, you are not fit

I live by this lifestyle, both mentally this is superior. But also...strangely biologically. At least for alcohol. It has become one of them drugs that does not affect my mood anymore. The other drugs are also kinda moot.

My mind has become nulled to their effects, and my spirit has discarded their needs. I have been completely straight (with only two nights where I drank two beers to see if they could work in socializing in bars) for two years. In two years I basically only drank 5 beers...

In the last 2 months...zero. No other drugs for many years.

and it doesnt feel bad at all. I dont think that at this point I even have the smallest of chances to change. Straightedge 4 liefe

I have found this only to be a superiority reality in shitty countries that have high alcoholism. Slav nations specifically...

If you dont smoke, dont drink and dont use drugs there. You are basically automatically within the top 20% of all males, without even working on your body...

Recently I met with some tourist from that area, manager of many people, decent salary. Apparently he more or less is normal for that nation...the thing is, when he asked me if he could drink I thought "yea sure, people drink all the time here sometimes in the weekend at the evening." But to them, drinking sometimes meant being drunk 90% of their waking hours.

So...if you are a straight edge over there, it will probably add a +3 to your attractiveness over there.

Here in the west its a lot smaller, almost non existent advantage as you put it though. People here have extremely high resistance against just being alcoholics.

I'm straight edge but not because I'm on some sort of moral high horse (I'm literally an alcoholic).

106 days with no booze. feels good man. lots of energy

>I have been completely straight
That's funny, because from your post i'd of guessed you were homosex.

I don't have an addictive personality and can actually control what I do so I'll drink and smoke if I want to.

been sober for 364 days bro. definitely feeling the benfits bodily, mentally, and spiritually. I don't miss it at all.

It's not for everyone, but I completely agree with especially about drinking because people are fucking boring. I finally realized if I feel the need to drink to endure someone's company, I just shouldn't hang out with them.

>alcohol is straight up bad for you
>doesn't know what moderation is

What are you 12?

>I’m curious why people on Veeky Forums aren’t really into straight edge

Long-long-long-time straightedgefag here. I can tell you why: because if you have 0 connection to the hardcore punk scene why the fuck would you be? Straight edge only makes sense in the context of hardcore punk. See, punk did and to does (but I would say arguably to a lesser degree in 2016 than it did in 1986) have a strong undercurrent of self destructive nihilism often fueled by drugs and alcohol. Straight edge was and is a reaction to that. At its core is the belief that you don't have to be a useless shithead heroin addict to be punk. I mean you can be, but you don't HAVE to be. That idea ran pretty counter to what a lot of the early punks -who weren't too into the later hardcore punk scene- thought. And at the same time it's somewhat of a rejection of the larger culture's attitude that you have to be drunk to be sociable. Although that component of it is much less important.

I love Youth of Today, so don't get me wrong here, but the whole positive living thing is probably the least important part of it and was really only a thing because of the somewhat cult of personality that surrounded Ray Cappo and the youth crew scene in NYC/Connecticut. I take it about as serious as I take Crucial Youth (my copy of the "Crucial Yule" 7" is one of my prized possessions for real though).

is correct. Assuming you've never been to a punk show in your life you should just be honest and admit that you're no different than a super conservative Christian.

"In My Eyes" is probably the only straight edge song that really actually gets at the heart of it.

I binge drink and chain smoke once or twice a year. No real negatives cause it's just one time per year. Straight edge seems too try hard

Any of you poofs got any tips for quitting smoking?

I don't drink or smoke and I don't consider myself straight edge. Straight edge is such a faggot term

>tfw you used to smoke weed daily, but don't smoke ever anymore
>tfw you used to smoke cigs daily, but now do so only once in a blue moon and only when someone else pulls out a smoke and you ask to bum one for a laff
>tfw you've never had a problem with drinking and do so literally once every 2 months or less

No need for rigid straightedgery when you're prefect like me :)

I smoked for 4 years, switched to vape for a week, then smoked for 3 days, then stopped in the afternoon one day after like 5 cigs that day. First 5 days were kinda difficult. I got a little depressed actually and thought about going to the store and picking some up constantly. Just kept myself busy and eventually it got better.

>So try that method

gl man, difficult but very possible.

Sorry mate, I really like the taste of beer. I split a 6 pack every weekend with my soon to be father in law and play catch. It's awesome.

>If you drink this poison in moderation it won't do you any harm bro
>But why hte fuck am I drinking poison in the first place?

Because it's applying a fucking stupid as shit label to a simple thing that doesn't need a label.

Why the fuck would anyone 'be really into streight edge", if it's just a hipster faggot way of saying "not into poisons and psychodelics".

Do you sheep really need a catchy name to do shit?

Because it's an inhibition removing depressant that's also a social ritual AND tastes good?

>drugs
>most people are just dealing with loneliness
Fuck m8 this hit me too hard

Sounds pretty fucking boring.

>no drugs, no alchohol, no smoking

The problem with having such clearly defined rules is that they're easier for some people to follow than others. An easy example is someone straight edge but who's a fat fuck, but of course that doesn't exist on this board mostly.
The point is, you can be theoretically straight edge and still be "guilty". The "no drugs, alcohol, etc" rule is actually just very arbitrary.

Me for example I've never in my life had alchohol, or done any recreational drugs. But I've never had sex either. The reason I'm straight edge is because I'm a loser, not because I'm a paragon of will and virtue.

A striaght-edger could easily have a soul more disgusting than the worst addicts and hedonists.

>smoke cigarettes and drink heavily 3-4 times a week, still look better than 80% of Veeky Forums.

I mean, if you are genetically prone to getting ill from either of these things then dont do it. If youre strong and can lead a healthy life while doing the things you enjoy, then dont let any straight edge beta tell you how to live. Simple as that.

Some people cant be healthy while smoking and/or drinking. Its up to you to determine whether your genetics enable you to thrive doing these types of things or not.

>pic relates, new years cut
>drinking and doing drugs since the age of 15

Go fuck yourself straight edge tightwad piece of shit. Stop fucking sitting back and judging everyone around you you little bitch. Come fight me irl see what you got you little pussy get fuckt bitch your mom sucks dick at night litlte whore bitch.

Come at me bro I live at 857 Go Fuck Yourself Ave.

Bitch ass punk ass NYUKAAAAAAAAAA IM DRUNK RIGHT NOW WHAT YOU GONNA DO HUH? ALSO IM OFF THAT STICKY ICKY ICKY BEEEEEEEEEEEEYITCH>

>he arbitrarily groups together alcohol and cigarettes
>smoking to any degree is harmful
>moderate alcohol consumption is actually beneficial
>mild drinking is completely benign

i have about 3 servings of alcohol a week on average. no lost gains, no hangover, decreased risk of cardiovascular disease, and i get to enjoy interesting new wines and beers. alcohol is like any other substance -- huge amounts of it are poisonous, but a little is fine.

Poison is made by dosage and dosage only. With that idiotic logic, why do you drink water? If you drank 20 lts you'd die, so it's poison, right? Fucking idiot.

>jan16.jpg
Ahahahaha

why the fuck would anyone want to be straight edge. you're not pure you're just boring. everything in moderation including moderation

Being muscular doesn't automatically equate to being healthy, dude. Smoking and heavy drinking are objectively unhealthy, no matter how shredded you are.

Chill dude: ok, cool, bro.
Complete autist: WHY THE FUCK DON'T YOU WANT TO SMOKE A JOINT? FUCK YOU.

Can I count as straight edge if I smoke marijuana a couple times a year and drink alcohol on my birthday and on New Years?

>not knowing most basic principle of toxicology

dose makes the poision

>being afraid of squats

I'm so glad this whole SE thing is bound to the anglosphere.

Over here you have abstinent people, but they're not insufferable counts about it.

>I'm so glad this whole SE thing is bound to the anglosphere.

It isn't though

Especially in Eastern Europe it's really popular

I just quit multiple times over 3 years and one time it stuck. I think it's because I broke the addiction after quitting so many times I realized it was a habit like picking my nose as a child and just gave it up.

>No Drinking Alcohol, No Drugs, No Smoking
that's called common sense, not straight edge. Well maybe apart from casual alcohol drinking. But I don't do that much either. Only occasions I drink a bit are Christmas and such.

It has nothing to do with morality. It has everything to do with health, performance, and recovery.

Your body can take up to 72 hours to rid itself of alcohol and it's effects, and in that time it's dehydrating you and sabotaging your body's ability to recover from a workout, so you're literally sabotaging your gains.

Smoking is just plain bad. There are NO positive effects of smoking. You're just plain dumb if you smoke anything for any reason whatsoever.

Most illegal drugs throw your entire body out of balance, and many are addictive. How can that possibly be good for your health and gains? Additionally if you're involved in any competitive sports, most illegal drugs can get you disqualified if discovered you're using them. Why take the risk for a cheap high? Also with strong stimulants there is a big risk of doing permanent damage to yourself, or if you're really pushing yourself, literally dropping dead. Why do that to yourself?

You have to moderate dat dere steaks (or at least dairy) intake, brah. Otherwise you won't gain any quality muscles.

The only acceptable "drugs" are performance enhancing ones.

Modafinil/adrafinil, roids, peptides, whatever else

Recreational drugs are for faggots

Straight edge fags are on the same tier as weeabos, and for the same reason.

OH LOOK AT ME GUYZ. IM STRAIGHT EDGE AND IM BETTER THAN ALL OF YOU

I dont do any of those, does it mean l'm a fitness god

No.

>LSD and shrooms are super fun, can have massive positive effects, virtually no health risks
>"haha yeah, recreational drugs are just for faggots though"

You speak in such vague terms with so many weasel words it's like an argument in favor of channeling your chi.

Such black and white thinking, commonly associated with extremists, autists, and retards.

You're all three.

I respect your decision to not have anything harder than caffeine in your life, but you guys are as obnoxious as vegans. Nothing like a sanctimonious prick to drive you away from an ideology.

>Wasting time and money on getting high when you could be working on getting somewhere in life
>Buying questionable substances off the internet/in person because "xD i want to see cool things hehehehe"

>having fun in life
>"haha how stupid"

fucking idiot

loli, you're getting closer to my favourite every comment

>needing drugs to have funin life
it's really sad desu

>Wasting time and money on getting high when you could be working on getting somewhere in life

It's not one or the other, loser.

>He needs to take drugs in order to have fun
That's pretty sad to be quite honest

The time you spend high and the time you spend working towards earning money to get high is a complete waste of time. You're just a faggot who needs drugs and think he's cool because he never grew out of highschool

i dont even like punk, but as a fellow music nerd fixated on specific subcultures, you obv know your shit

>ITT: Autists lash out on feeling their identity threatened, trolls pretend to be both autistic and regular joe laughing at autistic

Just like old times.

when the fuck did I say I needed drugs to have fun? Are you reading a post in a parallel dimension? I never said that and what I wrote doesn't even suggest that. this is the problem with most people they have no basic grasp of logic.

drugs sometimes being fun =/= need drugs to have fun

Quads of faggotry

I did the SE life for 4 or 5 years since I was 17 then quit. I'm 34yo dadfag now.

The thing about SE -from my POV- is that one ends up as an edgelord judging other people's lifes and too often knocking other people's 'door' with SEphilosophy like vegans or mormons do.

IMHO -and having been no that train- if someone NEEDS a set of straight rules to teach you how to live there's a problem to be solved.

Don't get me wrong if the choice is SE vs trashy YOLO I would pick SE. But that scenario isn't real as no one is forced to choose one of these two extremes.

One last thing. SE finds it's population on young males, often outcasts or angry about the world. There's really too few older guys that keep on SE for life after that phase. That probably means something.

Good luck young brehs any path you take in life.

Because I'm in my 30s. Wearing your beliefs like a uniform or costume is cjildish bullshit. Live and let die, you little shit.

To me alcohol tastes bad, I can handle a nice bottle of cider with dinner at a restaurant but anymore just isn't nice plus its expensive and large amounts really don't agree with me

prob would try some weed but I'm not too fussed

smoking is prob the number 1 most retarded thing ever, expensive makes you stink and kills you

Your body must be fucked internally.
>clear steroid user
>smokes heavily
>drinks heavily

Really don't even want to know how badly your liver is fucked up. I really hope you aren't stupid enough to be taking orals.

very well said

Really weird that the US HC punk scene is so much into straight edge. Straight edge people have always been the tiniest minority ever in Europe's scene.

> clean living, bodily and mental purity, having control.
I would argue psychedelic use would help with these, especially having mental clarity.
I'm talking about stuff like LSD, shrooms, and DMT.

Fuck op, some of us do drugs for the same reasons human beings have been doing them since the beginning of time, some people do them to just party and get fucked up and have fun, some people like myself use them as a tool for Introspection and insight, if straight edge fags would get off their high horse you might actually attract some decent followers and not a group base of edgy teens and a handful of pussy adults

You're insufferable. Some shrooms should cheer you up, you reverse degenerate

Hate to break it to you straight edge faggots but pretty much every aspect of your life you like as in movies, music, art, entertainment, fashion... You name it... The people that created them "REEEEEEEAAAALLLY fucking high on drugs"

t. autist
No one does that, you basement dweller.

Not drinking, not smoking and not doing drugs is fine. It's pretty awesome even. But giving yourself a label "yeah im straight edge" is just lame. It doesnt make you a rebel, tougher or make you take life more seriously what a load of crap. Apperently ive been straight edge for almost 20 goddamn years (not anymore tho I enjoy wine now but still never smoked or did drugs) and I never knew what it was. I just lived the way I saw fit.

I'm straight edge, you're not alone in this board OP

Wow yeah like you're working on getting somewhere by shitposting here.

Speak for yourself faggot

The only acceptable drugs are psychedelics. You get mad mental gains out of them, that is If you are not a dumb fucking retard about using them. Once or twice a year is enough.

You're like Zyzz minus the charisma and the top-tier aesthetics