How bad was Miami in the 1980's? Can we have a urban crime/city thread?

How bad was Miami in the 1980's? Can we have a urban crime/city thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariel_boatlift
telesurtv.net/english/amp/english/news/Brazils-Homicides-Hit-Record-High-at-61000-in-2016-20171031-0018.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Can we have a urban crime/city thread?
My favorite topic alongside urban decay and poverty.

>How bad was Miami in the 1980's?
Watch Cocaine Cowboys - it explains the exact chronology of Miami descending into shit.

i remember my dad hearing about how castro essentially emptied the jails and mental institutions of cuba at one point and sent them on boats to florida, that had to have an impact

Fuck you I'm from Miami I like it here

t. Jean Baptiste Raisel Martinez

do you know much about crime in NYC in the '70s, '80s, and I guess early '90s?

there was definitely a cultural stereotype about New York and crime, and of course this is the era of widespread urban decay in parts of the city and the crack era, but how did it get this bad? these murder stats are ridiculous

NYC was run by uber-liberals who cucked the NYPD into oblivion. Then Giuliani and Bratton reinstated the rule of law.

There's a theory that the amount of lead in everyday products (mostly leaded gas) in the 50s and 60s, led to mass retardization of society and huge waves of violence in the 70s and 80s. You can find crime patterns similar to NYC in other cities too.

>there was definitely a cultural stereotype about New York and crime
That's bound to happen considering New York is THE city of the US, so they get all the attention. Much like today Chicago is famous for murders but St. Louis and New Orleans are actually more dangerous.

manufacutinrg left the city in the early 1970s to elsewhere in the US especially the south and then asia. Then the wave of riots due to the mlk jr assassination made whites pack up. lack of jobs and recessions in 1968, 1972 , 1974. plus oil crisis made the city a shitty place to live. bored poor people in poor neighborhoods then started burning places and robbing eachother and constantly invaded white neighborhoods at night which fed outward migration to the suburbs even more .

crime declines in early 1980s but in mid 1980s due to the crack crisis it went up.

after 1990, two things happened, the crack epidemic died off. police became harsher and then jobs started flowing back when the city became safer and people who lived in the suburbs moved back which meant shitty low paying jobs for the minorities because they brought their money and talent. and poor neighborhoods now having jobs, shitty jobs but still jobs meant people were preoccupied and no longer resorting to crime .

This is the official beginning of open borders policy

Pretty much what every cunt is doing now, flooding the West. Castro was a visionary

Post shithole cities from the past

No. USA was crime infested since the cowboy days. NYC was gang Central since the Irish potato famine. NYC was more violent in the 1880s than 1980s. Murder Inc was a legit company back then

>cowboy days
Cowboy days were actually not that violent, it's an entertainment media meme popularized by cheap pulp magazines and early Hollywood movies. It certainly was safer to live in the American West in 1900 than it was to live in 1980 Detroit or Cleveland.

No. A deliberate policy was set undesirable NYC natives were evicted from the city to get replaced by hipsters and Chinese.

NYC was ethnically cleansed to replace the tough Urban elements of society with desirable foreigners and white suburbanites

Forgot pic

>ethnically cleansed
>ethnically
I think it was more of a class cleansing than ethnic one.

The Indians disagree. Also the era of lucky Luciano and Capone was way more violent than the crack days

Ethnic. Boriquas have gone the way of the Mohicans. Blocks getting evicted from Harlem, bed study, and all the hood. Don't forget the paisan thugs of Brooklyn getting ethnically cleansed. All Jewish areas remain intact though

See

The ethnic areas of NYC that stood ground for a century disappeared overnight with the stealth policies if globalists to rid the city of undesirables

Harlem is 69% black according to the 2010 census.

Bridgeport, Connecticut--right now

Harlem ain't Harlem no more. Clinton moved in on the turf with his homie Soros now It's a globalist playground.

The oligarchs couldn't have it any other way. NYC, Detroit, Philly were the manifestations of capitalist decay. The elites had to cover for the failures of capitalism. The remedy was to ethnically cleanse via globalist schemes

>from the past
>right now

It's possible that stats werent too accurate in the early days

That's a drastic decline

The 1980's was a shit time to be a cop in Detroit at least. I was at a bus stop talking with a recently released con, struck up a convo with him. Drove into someone drunk and injured them, so got 2 years in the slammer. He talked about how he was in the Detroit police force for a hilariously short time because "1980's Detroit was fucked", in his words. Routine traffic stop, went to cuff the guy, guy grabs his service revolver and blows two holes into his torso and almost gets a round square in his head.

He immediately got fired from the force because he was now functionally useless, having damaged leg nerves. A few years of divorce and drunkeness, and he ends up in the slammer later on. Pretty good story, but it struck me that this was common back in the day. He said that no cop wanted to be assigned to Detroit because of the fatalities, but more importantly, the total lack of investigation afterward. If a cop got killed, not even the vigilantes in the force could trace the killer and get some street justice for messing with them. Entire districts became shadow zones of the economy where anything and everything was free game, and people every day had to wonder if leaving their porch meant getting shot, mugged or raped. Detroit today has improved a shitload from the heyday of street gangs duking out for control of the city's drug corners in places like Inkster, but most of the residential areas outside of downtown are still utterly fucked crime wise. The difference is the crime is more random/erratic than organized. Before you'd have crews doing drive-by shootings and kidnappings daily. Now it's just one tyrone and maybe some of his buddies picking on hipsters/new arrivals gentrifying the area. There are still streets where if you roll up at night, there is a good chance you'll find burning car frames and street fights that have a real chance of erupting into shooting, and holy shit is that not the place you want to be if you don't know anybody local.

Miami was built on cocaine money. If it wasn't because of the drugs it'd be a huge marsh

You'll never get back to 1900 levels though

Idk, most of my family moved out of there around that time to other parts of Florida and the south because of all the crime lol.

They just wanted to live in a nice medium sized city by the beach, not be in the middle of a violent drug war and all the undesirables from Castro's prisons and the rest of Latin America.

>Cali
>actual Mexicans
>not entitled chicanos and tattoo-covered manlets trying to out-nig the nigs

Reading shit like this makes me think the Soviets were ultimately right.

Castro did it not only to get rid of the unwanted of his society but to also sneak in his legion of spies into the US. There's a reason why nothing goes on in the Cuba exile community without Havana hearing about it.

I honestly believe that the post-1990 crime drop is partly due to video games and the internet occupying young men's time.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariel_boatlift

The funniest thing is that all this, albeit toned down, was pretty much described in a children book, from all places.
"Dunno at the moon" is pretty much describal of the Russia in the 90-ies, though less bloody.

If it wasn't for the drugs it would be a glorified tropical retirement town full of old wealthy WASPs playing golf, like it was before the drugs and mass immigration of 3rd worlders.

Rank them

Medellin in the 80's
Chicago in the 20's
NYC in the 70's
LA in the 90's
Miami in the 80's

>LA in the 90s
Hollywood meme. There were the LA riots which got memed to oblivion and other than that the crime was never that bad.
>muh Boys n the hood
>muh Training day

The reason why people care more about crime in NY and LA is because more richfags live there.

Still, 80s LA was legitimately garbage in between the smog, the traffic, and the gunfire.

Do you know any work specifically about Cuban espionage?

There is a lot of shit going on, rumours about Cuban intelligence runing entire countries like Venezuela or just influencing the Latin American left, but I've never seen a dedicated study to this issue.

Pic related. Former Cuban chief of intelligence with former (and probably next) Brazilian president.

No, it's because LA has Hollywood and most Hollywood movies are set or filmed there. It's not a particularly rich city, in fact it's pretty poor on average, they just dominate the entertainment media.
>smog
>traffic
Legit concerns but nothing to do with crime.

Considering what it once was that's steep drop. ounce you mange to find a way to get the undesirables you shift them into an area where they are cut off form the city even more (or even outside it).

It's a brillant strategy because now those former areas can do carry tenants who can pay more rent.

Jimmy Carter was a literal cretin for letting them in.

>bored poor people in poor neighborhoods then started burning places

That's actually because landlords coudl get insurance if their properties were burned down (at least in NYC but Detroit is probably the same).

That and there were just a lot of abandoned buildings where bored teenagers could light fires.

It's largely the same thing all throughout the world

Зйжя

Why not? Most of Europe is at those levels.

This explains why Cubans have the highest rate of homosexuality within the USA. In fact, I just discovered that a particular gay poet came over on this very boat, the uncle of another homosexual who sexually assaulted me in college. Thanks for the rapefugees Carter.

welcome to Veeky Forums

>Medellin in the 80's
Don't do drugs or board any planes??

my dad grew up miami during the 80s. He said there was drive by shootings all the time. Narcos would gun each other down outside of restaurants.

[citation needed]

Not every mariel boatlift cuban was a prisoner.

What made it go down so much?

That we should have a secret police?

mandatory minimums

Nothing came remotely close to the corruption and terrorism that plagued Medellin in the 80's

Brazil today has a 30.0 murder rate.

telesurtv.net/english/amp/english/news/Brazils-Homicides-Hit-Record-High-at-61000-in-2016-20171031-0018.html

I just assumed the aids epidemic wiped out a ton of the criminals in the lower class

>first world
Kek

Nice.

Those "criminals" are from fighters against enslavement of globalism. They lost. Now you eat soros shit

Yeah, people driveby shooting and shitting up their communities are "warriors against globalism"

Fuck off cancer.

*Freedom fighters

Cuban intelligence is a pervasive threat to American influence in the region though I believe their reach is greatly exaggerated from what I've read about them. From what I know they're very good at keeping a low profile and operating through proxies. Cuba has a first class intelligence service, they had the benefit of studying at the feet of the masters, the Russians.

I know that one of the major intelligence victories they achieved against the US was turning senior DIA analyst Ana Montes.

nyc has never as non white as it currently is in its entire history

1970s nyc was bonkers with crimes when it was around 75% white

now it is barely 30% white and it has literally never been safer

nyc was definitely ethnically cleansed...mostly of its native white working class

>muh white genocide

>I'm so paranoid of /pol/ talking points all I can respond with is shitty memes
Must be nice being a simpleton

>Be me
>18 years old
>Live at home with my mom, grandma, sisters
>Never knew my dad
>Last year of highschool, swimming scholarship lined up
>My cousins car got towed, couldn't afford to get it back because he makes minimum wage, >His boss fires him for being late since he had to walk to work, says it will "teach him a lesson about punctuality"
>Cousin needs money, is trying to learn to be a mechanic.
>Cousin starts to sell drugs on the corner, nobody will hire him since he doesn't have a car and has no skills
>Last week of school
>Cousin standing on the corner, some guy in a red toyota shoots him and takes his drugs.
>Cousin dies.
>Auntie texts me in class
>Best friend Juan has a stolen gun.
>I beg him to let me borrow it, he tries to talk me out of it
>I steal it from him
>Stand out on the corner where cousin shot, nervous as fuck
>See red toyota
>Walk up slow to the window, knock on it.
>Get nervous, unload gun into the driver, run away
>Probably next the drivers little cousin going to come after me.

What

Overdoses and gang shootings were so common in 1980s Miami that the police department had to rent refrigerated vans from Burger King because the ambulances were all full.

This is fictional, but gun violence is just arms escalation on a smaller scale.

class >>>> race

class = race

305 til I die!

This is the most American thing I've ever read in my life

Yeah trailer trash rednecks are poor

And they're almost universally Scots-Irish in ancestry.

Racial categories were created to fulfill a class function in colonial Latin America but these days it's so much more complicated.

As early as the 18th century you had people defying the class origins of race, with a few black individuals themselves acting as employers or even slave owners or a handful of Native Americans like Joseph Brant participating in capitalistic business.

By the 19th century race and class were very clearly distinct but interrelated categories.

Well the inferior NYC natives were replaced with superior non-white asians

Ethnic cleansing of NYC is real and implemented in the most liberal city.

The fact that native NYC accent and culture went extinct with the ethnic cleansing speaks volumes of the stealth genocide in place

Apparently, racial and ethnic segregation thrives in class, where non-goys and wasps account for the majority, with the rest being tokens

The classes that were replaced were ethnic

The serbs could have ethnically cleaned burger style, but they didn't listen to Soros or Kissinger

Almost every regional accent went extinct in the United States. Even the prestige dialects are a thing of the past.

You can do anything when the scapegoat is money. Simply Transform racism to classism isn't and no one would care

If that happened in kosovo, it would be called genocide

The corporate America accent is thriving. Every one sounds like they are in a McDonald's commercial

There are still young Black, Puerto Rican and Dominican New Yorkers with distrinclty NY accents. I think the death of accents is mostly a white thing.

LA was middle of the pack in terms of major american cities, but american cities as a whole had really high crime in the early 90s

They live in parallel societies, within their own enclaves surrounded by their own people with a distinct culture. And I don't quite understand what you mean by a New York accent. There's Italian, Brighton Beach Russian Jew, and ebonics but those were always ethnic in character.
t. Jew Yorker

>I think the death of accents is mostly a white thing.
Asian Americans sound the same literally wherever they live.

Probably due to being recent, urban immigrants who grew up watching national television programming. Every citydweller under the age of 35 sounds more or less the same, unless you're a nigger.

NYC is at least 100 yrs old. Go wiki this shit. Recent immigrants with their foreign accents are not representative of the NYC accent

*NYC accent

>nyc Jew commenting on the insularity of new York's ethnic communities
The ironing. It is as thick as hummus

More like voluntary self ethnic cleansing

t. remnant of nyc's native white population

I just YouTubed it. I've only encountered this accent with a few older folks (50+) and Jews from Brooklyn. Italians seem to have their own substrate that doesn't strictly sound like this (think Christopher Moltisanti from the Sopranos). Always thought it was more of Jew thing. Most of the people I speak to however speak Standard American English, even the old folks. Its prevalence seems to have been exaggerated by popular culture.

I spoke to my mom about this recently. She said it was only certain lines that were bombed as badly as in that pic and the primary line she rode was clean as a whistle going all the way back to the mid 60s.