Tell me about your father, Veeky Forums

Tell me about your father, Veeky Forums.
Is he into exercise at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

startingstrength.com/articles/young_strength_starr.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He's good at running...

My dad used to get credits from his workplace to buy gym equipment. So from when I was born to age 15, my dad used to hit the gym at all the time.

Now he's a lot older and works out maybe once every two weeks

He's dead.
;_;

Yeah. He's made out of grit, gunpowder, and manners.
Fucker has a fake knee and hip which when he got replaced, I shit you not, took them to get chromed and they're now the clutch and brake on his bike.
No feeling left in his fingertips, half of his left bicep got removed, sonnofabitch just had a stroke 2 months ago, still goes outside and shoots hoops while wearing 3 separate braces. takes his dogs on a 5 mile walk every morning at 4am.Cranks out skullcrushers almost as heavy as me and I'm in my prime.

He is good at beating

He used to be a roidfag in his younger days, now he's obese and had a mini stoke.

same

6'4 tall fat dude

He's an alcoholic nothing, never did any exercise in his life as far as I know, I don't spend much time thinking about him.
I recently became a dad myself to a daughter and am trying to figure out at what age should I get her into fitness and whatnot.

He probably exercises in prison

He's 5'10 and about 200lb. Has no muscle mass. He used to be into martial arts, gymnastics, and played hockey 4 times a week.

90% of his diet is soda and fast food. So much disappointment.

he does some cardio. also he likes wind surfing, if that could be considered exercise. he used to play sports when he was young but he's an old man now so what do you do.

i'm doing strength training and grappling.

FPBP

My dad was undisputedly swoler than me until he broke his back when were ski racing this winter

He hasn't been able to lift in that time and I took up his mantle and began lifting

He's able to walk and do a little bit of yard work now, but I don't imagine he'll be back to weight training for a while

RIP my dad's gains

Yup.

Played high school football and raced motocross, got a brown belt from Tsutomu Ohshima in the eighties, raced road bikes, and now does randonnee rides and mucks around on a mountain bike.

>mfw he lifts in the off-season
>mfw he squatted 275x5x3
>mfw he's turning 59

my dad died when i was 4 because he was too fat ...

He is fat AF, he is just old and doesn't care anymore.

Dad used to lift and take steriods

He offered to help me if I want to fraud

Genetically, I inherited his stocky build, he has a long wide torso but short stocky legs, 5'7"
>My mother is 5'6" but has long legs and I kind of inherited my mother's leg length and my dad's torso length and leg width so I'm 6'1" yey

He works with his hands mostly, his specialty is everything pipes and leadwork, from water to gas from indoor to outdoor, he knows his shit.

Hard worker, always a bit overweight, but bretty stronk too, used to run a lot 5 years ago but apparently his work (heavy manual labour) had done some damage to his knee (they found out later) which running worsened over time, he got operated and now doesn't exercise on the side anymore, he's still a bit on the chubby side, but still stronk, knee is restored and he's working fulltime again.

My mother had a lot of shit from her own childhood to deal with when I was born and kind of pushed my dad away from raising me, everytime my dad would try to correct me my mother would adopt mother lion mode (later found out she was abused and therefor had a controlling tick with me which made her want to prevent all bad shit from happening to me and to protect me from anything negative, which had an inverse effect cause I hardly ever learned to be a decent human being until I was like 16), I had a lot of falling out with him cause I thought he was disinterested, later on I heared from my mom the real reason, I was kind of pissed at her for it but I forgave her, my dad too.

My mother stopped coddling me on my request and the account that I was getting older and the more my mother let go the more my dad would get involved again so he was willing, we now have a decent relationship, even helped me out a lot rebuilding my newly bought appartment, we even do shit together now (26 y/o), something I couldn't have imagined 10 years ago.

He's a good dad, mostly because he tries, he doesn't always succeed but eh he's my dad and I love him.

My little sister started going to kids gymnastics shit etc when she was 5. Just pick something and make sure its fun. Don't have to wait til she's 16 to get her used to an exercise habit.

Meant for

My dad used to be fat in his youth but then decided to change. Through hard work he became a pretty succesful boxer in his home country. Then he went to jail for whatever reason and became a chef.

Any idea how young is too young to get into lifting?

there are no real studies on the matter I believe, but I wouldn't risk stunting my son's growth ever. probably wouldn't get him to lift until 16, and that's only if he's already reached a respectable height, otherwise it's more waiting for him

weightlifting isn't all there is though, you can definitely get him to start playing sports or make him pick up a martial art at a young age

mines retired navy with 20+ years under his belt

dude retired then got a little big but recently started working on it a lot more after he saw how often i was lifting (feelsgoodman)

he hikes in the woods behind our house with a stump strapped to his back and throws railroad ties around

I have a daughter, so I'm not so worried about stunting her height. I have a home gym so naturally she will be curious about it fairly early on, don't want her to suffer any kind of permanent damage, though.

Was a good lifter in college, he could bench like 2 pl8, then assumed the dad bod later. Also did cross fit but quit because of joint pain

>I wouldn't risk stunting my son's growth ever
This is a myth. It's like saying you wouldn't risk your son getting abducted by the tooth fairy.

(I do think one ought not to make a kid train, though. Football parents and so on. Let them play when they're little, they can start training seriously later.).

(I'm fairly skeptical of the benefits of "putting your kid in sports", too. I see lots of people say "I'd be such a Chad if my parents had made me play soccer" or whatever, but it hasn't been my experience. My parents did the responsible thing and put me in sports, and I spent games standing around with my thumb up my ass (or sparring bouts shuffling half-heartedly about and getting lightly hit, etc.) until I developed the cognitive capacity to have opinions, at which point I quit. You can lead a horse to water, and all that. Came back to sports later.).

He never loved me

My dad was about 30 kg overweight, he started running and now he finished his 2nd half marathon.
He's like 5kg overweight now but he has no muscle mass left, trying to get him to start lifting.

Both of them r swole

it might be a myth, it might not be. no studies show proof of it being true but I don't think it's ever been disproven either. I know how stupid that would sound for almost anything else, but it's not something I'd be willing to risk personally.

>Dad was a cop
>Used to run from my house to the police station to start work, every day
>Just checked Google maps. 12km.

Mine is too, but while he was alive he was big into cycling and running and occasionally did a triathlon.

Farmer, so he's pretty fucking active, one day i tracked his calories for shits and giggles and he was a bit above 4000 at 60yo, 5'9 decently lean.

He's good at beating me then making me watch as he makes my mother bleed.

Very good İ'd say.

He´s a cardiofag.
Apparently he used to be pretty swole when he was doing rowing practice nonstop but that's before my time.

Do you know anybody who grew up on a farm? Hauling hay? Did that stunt their growth? Well, then.

(It's discussed in some detail in the latest edition of Starting Strength. Strictly speaking, of course, it's impossible to "disprove" anything at all, but I would worry about weights stunting one's growth about as much as I would worry about abduction by the tooth fairy.).

startingstrength.com/articles/young_strength_starr.pdf

>In fact, those that took part in some form of weight training at an early age surpassed the average height of their counterparts who did not do any lifting.

Are you prepared to take the risk that NOT lifting weights won't stunt your kid's growth? Eh?

Dead

He used to do Olympic lifting and was pretty juicy back in the day
Bought me a multigym and bench and taught me to lift properly.

BASED
A
S
E
D

>it's impossible to "disprove" anything at all, but I would worry about weights stunting one's growth about as much as I would worry about abduction by the tooth fairy.).
I can't do anything about tooth fairy abductions. I can avoid lifting until I'm old enough to prevent growth stunting.

Studies don't work because you don't have a control group unless you do them on twins. You can't look at two 5'4 kids and say "yeah, the one who lifted is now 6'2 at 18 and the one who didn't is 5'4, that means lifting helps improve growth"

nope fat ass motherfucker who has diabetes and probably has around 2-5 more years to live.
i try to get him into a more active lifestyle will never listen to me :(

Yes, he was a first sergeant in the army.

mfw absentee father feels.

Yeah, he was pretty massive.

He owned a gym then eventually went on to do bodyguarding, dead now. Mum now owns the gym.

I was never into training until he died when I was 16, if I've got one regret it's never having a workout with him.

my father is a sad insecure beta, and beginning to be an alcoholic. He whines and bitches about everything, blames everyone else for his problem and doesn't know what he wants, also beat me when I was a kid and he was frustrated.

I'm trying my best to not be like him, I just hope it's possible. I have his genes and his upbringing though.

Yeah, he was a scholarship athlete but then he got injured and got a job on an oil rig, according to my mother all the heavy lifting on the rig gave him absolutely massive capped delts, basically he looked like the picture on the right only white, these days he's pretty skinny but still active, looks more like the picture on the left

my dads liver is dying, he got it diagnozed about 2 or 3 weeks ago. he had a bad past with drugs and alcohol but was clean since 14 years now.

i had to promise him not to roid but it feels really good when he mired my gains

Fuark that tren

It's funny to see manlets giving a lot of effort .

My father placed second in a national judo competition in Yugoslavia, and has a physiotherapy licence.

Dad is 62, still runs 3x a week for 10km and bikes 2x a week for 25km, lifts weights 3x a week. He's done this forever.

Mom is not, I tried to get her on a program but she never follows through or does it once then gives up.

He's a fat and diabetic who doesn't take his medication nor goes to the doctor. He doesn't train, purposely eats sugar (can't even put sweetener in his coffee) and bread and constantly makes fun of people with healthy lifestyle who died because of some tragedy because "we are all going to die the same way".

Just play with her while she's a kid. Do any kind of playtime activity she enjoys that gets her running and being active, so she'll associate physical activity with good feels.

Also make sure she has good nutrition and is not a picky eater. Eat healthy shit yourself until she starts doing it too, and don't let her eat sugary stuff as part of her day to day diet. It's ok to eat something with sugar if it's a dessert, but make sure dessert is not something you eat everyday — limit it to saturday's lunch, for example. Teach her all the good nutritional habits.

When she's in school, consider signing her up for a sport she likes.

If you do that, then getting her into fitness will be so much easier later on. And if she doesn't want to get fit, at least you will have a healthy girl, which is the most important thing.

He has a beer gut but he is extremely handy and self taught and I have crazy respect for that.

try fun sports like rollerblading and cycling

6'3" and the biggest natty I've ever met personally. 48 and still works out hard

>Fantastic swimmer
>Got fat
>I'm trying to get him to work out with me but he regularly eats shit like entire bags of chips

My dad was a Judo master, like Black belt level shit, but he stopped long before I was born.

When I was squatting one day he walked in and repped 315 on the OHP when he was 45. And have seen him rep 315 on the BP at 60 yrs old.

He's in jail and eats terribly. He has diabetes, as did his dad, and possible heart complications.

He instilled terrible eating habits as I grew up making me obese into my late teen years at which point I realized how terrible it was. Started to turn things around and I'm now down 130 lbs and just started a gym about 2 weeks ago to get fit.

A better male role model in my life is supporting my better lifestyle and giving me advice.

All that said I our relationship is actually pretty good.

He climb mountains and shit and do tons of backpacking. Now he just hikes and lift with me. We built a home gym together at his house.

He's been doing weird machine lifts since my mom died. He lost a shit ton of weight and I'm actually really proud.

He does strongman and always gives me pointers on my form

6'4" 190 lbs and in good shape for someone in his early 50s. He used to be 30 lbs heavier and chubby, but a few years ago he started running regularly and now he's running with a 45 lb vest and does weight training 3 days a week.

If it weren't for my mom and I watching his diet he'd probably be 210 lbs. Motherfucker loves his sweets and snacks.

Nope he has type II Diabetes that he has to take insulin + a ton of meds for, and gets around in a wheelchair because he has a flesh wound on his feet that hasn't fully healed in years because of diabetes.

He also chooses to not exercise at all and gorges himself every night full of shit food, and will drink at least 1.5L of soft drink a day, despite what his doctor or anyone else tells him

At least he's a good reminder of what I could be like if I let myself go, so I'd say it's good motivation for me to stay fit

He was a heroin addict. Didn't know him, but he groomed my mum when she was a teenager and then I happened and grew up with my grandmother.

My father is a man that has been battling addicition and anorexia off and on throughout his life. He doesn't exercise much, but he's always outside doing yardwork, which may as well be exercise.

Dad was fit until smoking caught up to him, now he's got dadbod with a potbelly. Pissed at him for not stopping my Mum from making me fat though, took ages to fix and delayed getting swol.

Dad was an alcoholic construction worker, mom came from a more respectable family of mostly educated people, her dad was a military commander, her mom an engineer. My mom herself an engineer as well.

None of them really did sports though. I think I am the first one in my entire bloodline that is doing this, hence why the family often gives me weird looks.

Its weird though isnt it? You guys had a bigger influence on me than my family did. Though the reason why I went into this was just to get rid of fat. Well I am fat no more and I just like it at this point.

Same dude. My dad is literally built of pure testosterone.

Fucker dropped out of high school, hopped on a ship as a deck hand, and sailed all around the world fucking bitches in every continent and making sick sailor gains.

When he got back he was 17. He got a job as a construction worker and was 6'2". Tall fucker with big ass arms and chest.

Fast forward a few decades. He has me as a son with his wife. Life seems good. Then shit gets real.

Dude joins the Army. He saved all his money so his wife could raise me on her own, then went into the military. Sunavabitch goes into deployment, comes back with a busted arm. Honorably discharged.

Over the rest of his life he had two strokes, lost a kidney, and was diagnosed with lung cancer. Dude survived it all and is still living to this day. Every day he goes on a run, goes to the gym, and (presumably) fucks all the bitches he possibly can. At 6'2" he's a shredded cunt. He's living the ultimate bachelor lifestyle.

Yes, I think he started lifting 4-5 years ago when my mother got a divorce order.
He enjoys it, and encouraged me to lift too.

Your mom lets him 'fuck all the bitches'? Or is it infidelity? That's... cool.

No. But my father's side traces back to paladins of England so that could explain the retarded calve genetics. Always had a high sense of honor for sure and equal respect for people. I was the first lifter in either family.