/meditation/

Is there anything better than headspace? Is it even worth paying for?

i am a beginner?, did 5 sessions so far and really liked it

Free app called "smiling minds". If ou can withstand an Australian accent then it's a great app

Haven't tried Headspace, but I've been pretty happy with Insight Timer. It's more of a pick-what-you-want-to-do thing than a step-by-step program, so that might turn you off if that part of Headspace appealed to you.

bump for dem meditation gainz

start with Take 10, explore other guided meditations online, and then try to ween yourself off the guided programs. I've been meditating while listening to ambient noise (bird songs and nature sounds, shit like that) using a mix of Pudicomb's techniques and other stuff I've picked up and I don't need to pay a fee every month to do so.

>monthly fee
any free apps that are good?

I tried Smiling Minds but couldn't get into the voice. Honestly just check youtube for guided meditations and if you find one you like just repeat it every time until you don't need it. And watch out for the ones with alpha waves, every time I tried it I just fell asleep (which is kinda rad).

Whats the point of meditating?

Try tripping on LSD/Psilocybin mushrooms

I used to meditate regularly, but since tripping it's made my meditation far more effective.

The meditative state is very similar to an LSD trip without the visuals or the erratic thinking.

do brainev its the bomb, i had a spiritual awakening with the help of level 1

Clarity of mind.

First 10 - 15 mins you'll be thinking what does this achieve?

But eventually your breath will shallow, your heartrate will slow and you'll get into the zone. Thoughts will come and go into your mind and you'll find a point of rest and calm.

Thats breathing/one point meditation. And then theres reflective where you then think on a subject while in that state.

Things bother us but how often do we actually sit down with no distractions and think on the issue that is bothering us? Following the trail of thoughts until we reach the root?

I just sit down and put a timer on 21 minutes.

How will I know if I am doing it right?

what kind of problems do you have that requires 30 minutes of thought?

You are getting this all wrong

Meditating is about not thinking, about accepting things as they are and just letting them go instead of compulsively clinging to them.

I meditate 10 minutes a day and try to keep a mindful mindset throughout the day, and some benefits are that I am less stressed, that I take things easier and increased focus and self control.

Just start by focusing on your breath.

Be passively aware of all that is happening.

To not expect anything, but simply be aware of what happens.

I feel a bit standard for recomending it, but maybe you should read some eckardt tolle if you wanna know what this is all about. If you can get past all the esoteric bullshit he sprouts, the guy has some great points.

If not,

Sorry for the lost if not. I wanted to recommend another book, but then realized I have forgotten the author and got too lazy to do research lol

I just try not to let my mind wander, not to let my thoughts drift.

Also I focus on the feeling of my thumbs touching each other.

Any youtube vids that could help me?

Don't "try" to stop the mind wondering. Just be aware of it happening and re-focus yourself.

Thats what I ment.

When I first started I thought 20 minutes would be a really long time but when my timer rang it felt like I had just been sitting there for 5 minutes.

Smaller doses are good to meditate on. However if taken in high doses; such as 5 grams of mushrooms in silence in the dark alone, you would be surprised how much you could learn about yourself.

Very powerful stuff

After I got into meditation I started to realize when I needed to meditate or practice mindfulness. You actually start to crave it sometimes and can feel when it will be beneficial.

agree. I actually get kind of excited when i have nothing to do and can just sit back and meditate.. instead of having to compulsively look for some stimulation like video games or whatever