/running/ general goddamnit. Is running on treadmill 45 minutes at 8kmh 4 times a week good enough for cutting...

/running/ general goddamnit. Is running on treadmill 45 minutes at 8kmh 4 times a week good enough for cutting? I do it on my off days (Tue,Thu,Sat,Sun) but if I eat too much I also do it after lifting. I'm at about 20% bf, should I change anything (time,speed,incline)?

Other urls found in this thread:

bunnhill.com/BobHodge/rtp3.htm
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

8kmh is about 5mph which is honestly pretty slow, but it depends on how hard you're working at that pace. If it's pretty easy for you, try running a little faster or farther; there's no reason no to.

Run outside and do hill sprints.

Also elliptical>treadmill

Home gym and I have only treadmill and running outside here is one way ticket to snap city, shitty roads breh

What should be my goal speed if I want to just cut? I'm definitely not into sprints or marathons fyi

>shitty roads

What are sidewalks, trails, and fields? Also unless the roads are just strewn with potholes, I absolutely think you can run on them. African guys running barefoot can make it work, so can you.

Try to get that mile time in the 10 minute range. This will of course take time to do so, so improve gradually or you'll risk injury

So I guess 10kmh. Is adding .2 km too little?

does Veeky Forums have a running group on strava?

Try adding another half mile, and see how that feels for a couple weeks. I can't imagine 200 meters would make much of an impact at all.

What's the best style of running for cardio (read: sex endurance).
I really hate running out of breath even though I look good naked

I'm back. ran 43 mins @5.5 and 2mins @6 milesp for the lulz. I didn't even ran out of breath, should I try at least 30mins @6miles tmrw?

Yeah you should run faster.

You should be running at a pace where you couldn't quite carry on a conversation if you were running with someone else.

In case I can still conversate at 6miles should I increase incline? I feel like more speed could burn muscle for 45 mins. Is that a meme? I doubt tho that 10kmh will be easy

>more speed could burn muscle

Doing higher intensity anaerobic exercise will not 'burn muscle'.

After I hit 45mins 10kmh should I go for 1 hour or more speed though?

Throw in some walking OP, you seem to hate cardio due to the fact you are lacking a solid playlist, music is the biggest game changer you can do for yourself.

I walk everyday for 45-60 minutes listening to podcasts or books, 20-45 minutes of HIIT sprints 1 day a week and I've been on a cut for 4 months at 1550cal/day and shedding fat while achieving gains- even on a pretty tough cut.

Don't ever neglect LISS.

I don't know how y'all listen to music or whatever when you run. I don't like carrying my phone with me when I run, and I find the sounds of my surroundings to be enough.

Missed Prime day yesterday but get yourself a nice set of blue tooth ear phones/buds and a arm band holder for your phone.

If you are struggling and hate cardio, sometimes the sounds of the area isn't enough.

If you are looking to have your body burn fat, go for speed over distance.

Are nike frees any good? Want to pick some decent shoes from academy and those look nice. Gonna be running in cement mostly. Any other suggestions are welcome

I and most runners typically avoid Nikes for serious use. They aren't the worst but there are much better options. I'd recommend going to your local running store and checking out different brands (Saucony, Brooks) and try some on and run around the store.

Thats my goal. Is 45 too much or ok?

+1 - try what is best for you. I found the Nike Free Distance to be perfect for me but I also really despise a foamy ride.

45 what? Minutes? I wouldn't do less than an hour myself, alternate between fast and slow.

I dont really like less than 8kmh for slow. Also I meant 10kmh for 45 mins. For fat loss should my ultimate goal be an hour at 10kmh every day or is that a flawed plan?

You have to train your body so it starts burning fat during activities.

Ideally you alternate high intensity training with longer distances at lower paces (90+ minutes). Keep those high pace workouts (1 hr, high pace) and add a long run a week and you're set.

after going through the motions previously i'm now enjoying my running. this week i've run three days in a row, and have been upping the time spent running each day.

i'm a quick but not lightning quick (17min 5k pb) runner but these past few days i've just been running at a really easy pace - it's amazing how much i've been enjoying these long, lazy runs and after finishing the run i'll do three or four fartlek bursts (200m 3/4 pace, 200m jog).

i feel like this is a great workout because it is improving my base aerobic fitness and the fartlek is going to be really useful when the football (soccer) season begins again.

when running or walking long distance i get pain in the outer ball of my foot, but it's only on my left foot does this happen to anyone else? suggestions?

stop running fag, it just means you're doing too much too soon, this is why biking is better

>or walking
I'm guessing you just started running.

Biking can't get dem sick cardio gains tho.

You'll just end up with swollen thighs and cars who want to run you off the road.

pretty much so any idea how to stop this from happening, because i definitely don't want to stop running

You need to lose weight, get better shoes, and build up your routine over time.

You might also want to take a break day or two in the meantime.

running to lose weight
need to lose weight to run
is it bad i enjoy the sound of this challenge?

You can lose weight by eating less, and focusing on exercise that has a longer duration rather than a higher intensity. Specifically, aim for a 1000+ calorie deficit.

After you heal, neither of these things should injure your feet.

got it ill give it 2 days to heal n see what happens with some better shoes. besides i'm already on a 1500 cal a day diet, and i'm not huge or anything.

Prob 6.5-7 mph

Don't just run. Try intervals.

And always try to up your speed.

Hey everyone. I'm more than halfway through the couch to 5k program, and I've been jogging/running in my sneakers that I wear, which are New Balance 609's, (just regular sneakers). I'm going to buy running shoes, and after doing lots of research I still don't know whether I should buy traditionalist shoes or minimalist shoes. Which type should I buy?

tldr; minimalist or traditionalist running shoes?

What's a good interval training routine? I'm at 5:30 min/mile, and am training specifically for the mile distance.

Buy minimalist shoes if you live in California.

Buy traditional shoes if you're a normal person.

zero-drop, minimal sole shoes solved some hip issues I'd been having and I never once got shin splints or other problems despite having to run on pavement much of the time. I highly recommend them. They do slightly change your gait so they take a couple runs to get used to.

Read the fucking thread.

Go to a running store, get your gait looked at, get the shoes that fit your body and run.

Could someone semi-knowledgable tell me if this is a bad running plan for someone who is in relatively good cardiovascular shape at 6' 150? I really don't want to injure myself

Monday - >3 miles at 7mph pace
Tuesday - >3.5 miles @max effort
Wednesday - >3.5 miles at 5mph pace
Thursday - >3 miles at 7mph pace
Friday - >3.5 miles @max effort
Saturday - rest
Sunday - 3 miles @7 mph

Unless you particularly enjoy these "max effort" runs there's no reason to do them. Try this instead.

20 miles per week
one long run of 5-6 miles
three days of 3 miles + strides (look up what strides are)
one day go to a track and do this:
One mile warmup
One lap around the track striding the straights and very slowly jogging the curves
8x400 with two minute rests in between reps, should be at a pace that you could definitely sustain for a mile
One mile cooldown

Don't worry about times for your non workout days, how fast you're running is irrelevant. Just get the distance in--you won't ever run too slowly, I can guarantee that. Keep the 400s and the long run separate by two or three days with at least one day completely off in between. Avoid running on roads and especially concrete/sidewalks as much as possible while you're starting out on running consistently. The path to injury goes through forcing yourself to run at an anaerobic pace for extended periods of time on pavement, stop worrying about pace.

I should add that on a more general level worrying about the pace of generic distance runs is not how to improve as a runner. Real improvement comes through bumping up mileage consistently. The distance is what matters, not the pace.

Also, this is more geared towards serious runners, but read this for a pretty generic, adaptable training program for runners that want to get good: bunnhill.com/BobHodge/rtp3.htm

Man, I really wasn't expecting such good advice.

When you say, "worrying about the pace of generic distance runs isn't how to improve as a runner", this applies to someone trying to have a fast 5k for racing purposes, correct?

I'm slightly confused on whether or not this is advice for causal runners or people like myself who are hoping to be competitive.

If anything, just running easy with no set pace is even more important when you're just starting to run competitively. No matter what level you're at, easy distance should be based off of perceived effort, not some prescribed pace that will probably end up running you into dust. If you're feeling amazing you can open up a bit, but just run at a pleasantly easy aerobic pace. You should feel better 20 minutes into a run than 5 minutes in.

Just ran about two miles

Am I doing this right?

>1000+ calorie deficit

Ayyy lmao enjoy your body going into fat storage mode

No

>t. landwhale

Nah I'm 130lbs

What does Veeky Forums think about this HIIT routine? Should I change anything? My current pace is 6 min/mile, and I'm going to start this tomorrow.

>8x 400m at 5min/mile - 2 minute rest
>4x 800m at 7min/mile - 1 minute rest

So I have been wondering about this for a while,

What burns more energy, running on a threadmill or just running outside.
Both at the same speed for the same time.

I would guess it would be running outside because there you have to actually propel yourself forward whereas on a thread mill the floor moves on its own.

What do you guys think about this?

>because there you have to actually propel yourself forward whereas on a thread mill the floor moves on its own
No, this is wrong; they are literally the same thing in different reference frames.

I'm a physicist.

It's more about which you enjoy more I think

Well I obviously enjoy running outside more, vitamin D plus I get to enjoy nature.

I cant understand why amyone would run on a threadmill when you can go outside for free.

I only run at night so no vitamin D for me.

I could definitely see a treadmill coming in handy on hot days or during the winter though.

Bumping for this. I hate being a wheezer after 6 pumps.

HIIT

I can literally get on the treadmill right now and bust out a 27 minute 5k on a slight incline. I did c25k on a treadmill, actually.

Now, the past week, I've been running around my neighborhood (I run on the asphalt road instead of the concrete sidewalk). I can barely do 1.5 miles at a slow pace outside without wheezing, and most times my lower legs feel like they've taken a sledgehammer.

I always thought this user was right and that there was little difference. I was wrong.

HIIT is only good for anaerobic endurance. So yeah, I guess if you want sex endurance HIIT would work.

Hey, don't sell yourself short. D3 athletes are often the best at their sport at the local level. You have to travel pretty far to find someone better than them at what they train for.

I only have experience with running outside so I cant compare but what you are saying confirma my thoughts.

Also on the threadmill you have no air friction, which should be negligible unless you are running when its really stormy.

Thanks

running outside is harder, and is (obviously) more practical unless you're going for a treadmill test.

>tfw get nasty blisters on both feet every time i run

Is running a good weight loss activity? If so, what's the basic plan you'd recommend assuming I have ran before.

I've been running a lot a year or two ago, just to keep in shape but eventually work became too much and I had a really stressful year (me and my wife had a baby plus work) so I gained like 4 kg of weight. I am not obese or even "fat" fat but unless I do something now I might get there eventually.

dieting is a good weight loss activity.
4kg loss just cut out the crap and do a 30 min jog 5 times a week

Yeah I am already dieting, I know this stuff pretty well because I was fat as a teen and had to lose 20 kg at some point, so I am no stranger.

Shoes are too loose or don't fit right.

wear better socks

Get better socks and shoes that fit, fuccboi

6 min/mile for a race? What distance? Or is that like your usual training pace?

If it's your race pace, it's not a bad plan. It's simple, it's running fast, some is faster than race pace (I presume that's what 6min/mile is) and some is slower than race pace. Better than nothing, that's for sure

Run comfortably your first two days and then do speed work the last day
Don't run 4 days a week.

Also HIIT is better for cutting

Step on the elliptical. Crank up the resistance to max. Warm up for 5 minutes. Run for 30 minutes. Walk 3 minutes. Do this 4 times a week.

Am I doing this cardio thing right?

How do I run without blistering my feet?

How long do you all wait after eating before you run? After going to the gym in the morning, going to work about midday and then eating a phat meal when I get back I can't find the time without feeling sick after running on a full stomach

get proper running socks

I usually wait at least three hours before lifting/running for good measure, even after the biggest meals 3 hours seems to be enough for me no matter how hard I go on the paint

i hope you get hit by a car cyclecuck

If your goal is to drop time in any race longer than a 400 I'd suggest adding some easy mileage to your running plan, otherwise you're going to end up becoming really aerobically weak compared to your anaerobic strength and struggle to perform at the level you should be at any race longer than a minute and a half (getting worse and worse progressively at each race distance)

The small muscles you need to handle running on pretty much any surface are underdeveloped. People don't realize this but treadmills really can mess with your running form, you can basically just repeatedly jump up and down to run on a treadmill (with some degree of forward component) but when you're actually running on a real surface bobbing up and down won't get you very far. Start off replacing treadmill runs with running on softer surfaces like grass or trail and with enough mileage your little leg muscles will develop, allowing you to handle the pavement of the road. There's a reason professional runners don't do the bulk of their mileage on treadmills--it just doesn't prepare you for real running.

>which should be negligible unless you are running when its really stormy
Eh, the energy of a cross section of wind hitting you is proportional to the square of its velocity relative to you. There's conversion factors you can work out, but something as small as a 10 mph wind can set a runner back by 2-3% and if there are any gusts that can obviously become a lot significant. In workouts and races I tend to run like 2 or 3 seconds per lap slower with 15-20 mph wind and that's on a track when you get a tailwind at some point. If you're straight up running directly into a moderate 15 mph wind pace could drop by as much as 30 seconds per mile at the same effort.

anyone here run barefoot?

i recently read born to run and now i'm reading barefoot running by ken bob. my eyes have opened to the fascinating world of barefoot running. i started going barefoot recently and now i run along the beach 7 miles a day barefoot. it's just the best feeling ever

it's a meme stop

a meme is sporadically dishing out $100 on shoes so you can heel-toe and break your knees

I know /n/ has a biking strava group, haven't seen any in /running/ yet. Maybe if these generals stop dying every couple of days and people realize there is a running haven among the gym rats, something could take off

Born to Run is a great book. I hope running works out for you, and if it means going barefoot, power to you.

But barefoot running is dangerous in its own ways, and i've known many people who have gotten injured trying to run too much distance barefoot too soon. sure, it's natural, but once you've been running in shoes for years it isn't much use.

i don't heel to toe strike, nor do i run barefoot. you act as if the two go hand in hand. in reality, all it takes is running with a metronome for a week and learning how to run at a high cadence (170+). once your cadence is decent, it's literally impossible to heel-to-toe strike. that's more often a result of overstriding. the shoes cause overstriding, but you can fix it with a little patience

To the user who suggest a hydratuon belt the other day, thanks. Works great and no longer dry mouthed!

>running outside because there you have to actually propel yourself forward whereas on a thread mill the floor moves on its own

jesus user, it's you that is moving your body, it doesn't matter if the surface you run on moves in terms of energy consumption.

You're missing a few important points about running outside though.

>Wind
>Uneven terrain
>Qts bringing your heart rate higher

>big nasty callus on my right toe from running
>only right toe, left foot is fine

Why?

Also
>taking off your shirt for the final 1/2 mile to get rid of your farmers tan and get dem fatass neighbors' mires.

don't overthink it. blisters, dead toenails, calluses, none of that shit ever happens symmetrically. that'd be weird as hell if it did though.

You can just kind of jump on a treadmill, while you need to actually go forwards on dry land.

You shouldn't be holding onto the sidebars while running on a treadmill :^)

You don't need to hold onto the sidebars to jump, user...

You can jump on normal land, you know.

I do it once in a while, it destroys my calves in the best possible way because you're pretty much forced to run on your balls/toes. My soles are like iron plates now.