When did you realize that the United States is the successor to the Roman Empire?

When did you realize that the United States is the successor to the Roman Empire?

Just after I realized that South Africa is the successor to Tang dynasty China.

When I was diagnosed with autism.

It really isn't, though you can see some parallels in it's political systems and history (parallels noted by the Revolutionaries themselves, hence them calling Washington the American Cincinattus)

In some ways they are, sure - hugely powerful military, large spheres of influence, similar terminology like "senate" and "governor" - but in many deeper, more ideological ways they are not - the US does not have a conquest ethos, they are not ruthless to their enemies, they generally treat their allies respectfully, there is a general trend towards "social justice" and "equality", etc.

I don't agree with Op, but Rome had all of these at times, and likewise once upon a time America was expansionist as well.

There are plenty of similarities, but successor? no

Just like Rome, the US will have a good run and then get butt raped by one thing or another eventually.
We have a shit tonne of problems and I don't see any of them getting solved any time soon.
Thanks Barack Trump

You mean thank George Obama for destroying the Middle East and burying Europe in brown bulls and making whites the scapegoat.

So you be sayin we wuz Tangz n shiet

t. We wuz patricians n sheeit

I don't really see anything bringing the USA down with the current state of the world desu. Militarily the USA is far ahead of any other nation and the combined military power of NATO is just ludicrous, politically the USA is stable albeit slow to adapt, economically the USA is prospering and while it may experience another depression in the future that is unlikely to lead to a collapse of the USA. Barring some major change in the status quo I don't think all that much will change.

Just now. Ave to Trump.

>We have a shit tonne of problems
>We
>tonne

Kek. Guess you spotted the Brit larping. Kek.

the eternal anglo

There is no surviving successor to Rome.

look at that man, truly someone who demands respect.

what about Finland

This guy is a die hard fan of Marcus Aurelius.

>all these replies who are missing the point
We are the only Republican Empire who still has an emperor and an aristocracy.
We are literally the only thing which could be actually called "Roman".

>anything bringing the USA down

heart disease

Rome>
Roman Eastern Empire>
HRE> (lost after Habsburgs)
Poland Lithuania Commonwealth>
Empire then French Republic>
USA
waddya think?

where tf did PLC come from in that

*cough* climate change destroying agricultural imports *cough*

That would effect the entire world, which while harmful to the USA, would also put them in a position to use their ludicrous military power to ensure that they are the least hurt by it and to extend their influence.

When I looked up what that faggot the eagle is carrying on the great seal is.

Nah America's democracy and become a failed state in our lifetime. Damn those eyes are fucked up

I believe Rome would have eventually arrived at an era of Social Justice and Equality if they came to understand that egalitarianism is just a hypermodern way of suppressing the masses in any long standing authoritarian regime.

True to caesar.

I think this is why modern empires like the USA are far more stable and likely to stay together for far longer. They have become masters at providing the illusion of the people being in charge.

San Marino and Turkey are the rightful successors to the Western and Eastern Empires respectively

Read "Economic Origins of Dictatorship & Democracy" by Daron Acemoglu and James Robinson. Basically this, Elites want control, masses prefer to feel in control. So the elites give concessions to the masses to make them feel important and special.

By giving concessions to the masses and making them feel in control, the elites are able to stay in power, run things more effectively, and improve society which in turn keeps the masses even happier. I would say like leading cattle to slaughter, but it actually is a good thing for society as a whole.

Until you hear him speak.

The United States is a representative federal republic. On any scale of democratic systems the U.S. is not very high. Only at the very most local levels is there any sort of democracy, and even then its rarely "direct" democracy. Even small towns elect council members who then vote on laws. The states have assemblies of representatives who cast votes on your behalf. The real power is concentrated at the federal level, again with representatives voting for you. Only some states even have direct ballot measures and recalls. That's the only possible democratic property here.

The U.S. Is republic as fuck. Next stop Imperium.

What do you think a republic is? There is no "a democracy," the closest thing being a "direct democracy" as you mentioned. Democracy is just a concept, a republic of any sort is just a system that employs the democratic principle on a workable scale using representatives from regions, classes, whatever.

A republic is a system where elected officials make decisions as a voting group for the masses.

A democracy is when the masses make decisions as a group for themselves.

There have been democracies in the past. There have also been republics. The United States is a Republic. It may employ some illusions of the "democratic principles" you mentioned but it is not a Democracy and should not be called as such. That's both an insult to the real historic democratic governments that existed variously in Greece and India and even among native American tribes, and an insult to the dignity of Republics.