Greatest European monarchs that were great not only militarily but also politically and culturally?

Greatest European monarchs that were great not only militarily but also politically and culturally?

It certainly was a high point in the HRE's history.

unironically

>marcus kikegus

WE WUZ GREEKS AND SHIET

Guy is def underrated mostly because he didn't produce "legit" heir, beside the fact that he fucked everything that moved.

He pretty much saved Poland from Black Death and build up a Polish Kingdom that was ready for Teutonic Order.

Augustus is a bad general

wrote the magna carta himself 2bh, what a great guy

BOW BEFORE THE SUN KING!

was he the biggest alpha in human history?

Frederick the Great of Prussia

Napoleon was a great general, but very autistic politician...

>Spanish kings anoy me grrrrrr
>let's put my relative on the throne, i bet spaniards will like it...

>but very autistic politician
This is you brain in british propaganda

He still managed to control, and actually be liked by the very same people that a few years before had beheaded their King and the President of the National Convention.

what a tremendous fucking faggot

These sort of coats look so fucking comfy for cold weather

Dr Ivan, I'm emperor

This. He managed to not only please most liberals but also reconciled many Emigres. You ought to read more about his domestic policy, his destruction of the banditry in the countryside and reconcilliation with the church among the most popular.

>not mentioning HER
What is wrong with you Veeky Forums

>Good at military
Im gonna slap that bitches saggy and roasty ass for even trying to steal my legacy.

Charles Magnus is a refusal to be objective in this case. He, in a way completely validating of historical determinism, capped a void which was slowly filling itself starting with his grandfather's generation in Western Europe. He was a barely literate, somewhat wise man who kept a sense of reality despite the trappings of being a new Caesar.
Admirable and capable for his time, little else.

Unironically the acme of human personality.

God no.

It's good to be king

What do you mean he's underrated?
He's the only polish kang that had the "the great" in his title, that kinda speaks in his favour.

>fucked horses
>called the great only by asslickers in court
>her reign was overrated, military success can only be atributed to genius of people like Suvorov
>partitioned poland instead of keeping them as puppet state because she was german dumb hoe incapable of understanding what does rise of prussia will mean
yeah, no
she's not even 1/10 good as Peter was, and muh the great title is more known in west than in Russia because of muh feminism (i think merkel has her picture in her office)

kys wicked g*rmanic whore.

>literally the first monarch to be patrinized as a saint (1075)
>one of the most underrated

>first monarch to be patrinized as a saint (1075)
are you retarded?

If being dictator for life counts as king, he is the best example

He was really obssesed. Also i still don`t understand why he decided to put his relatives in positions of power instead of using meritocratic system.

Are u a brainlet or something? Even the pope found the canonization of a monarch wierd back in 1075, but he eventually agreed. Look it up.

>lost in the end
this thread is about successful monarchs, not some corsican failures.

Perfidious albion

>t. failed manlet across the channel.
when will they learn?

based

Is that Sean Connery?

>Only lost to an alliance of literally all of europe against him
>The 7th actually
>after ass fucking Britain for almost two decades
>had to send him to bomfucking nowhere for him to stop bothering
>still came back
>sent him to another island in the other side of the world
>still had to poison him

Imagine if he had succeeding in centralizing the Holy Roman Empire?

Mehmet II

DELET

>european

D. Manuel I
D. Sancho
D. Dinis
D. Afonso IV

>get everyone killed for no reason
pinnacle of euro culture

His domestic policy was excellent and the best France ever had (and arguably ever has since as well), but his foreign policy was pretty bad for the most part - He wrongly assumed the Spanish would accept a Frenchman put on the throne of Spain through conquest and trickery; he wrongly assumed that Austria would forget its many severe injuries Napoleon inflicted upon them just because he married into their royal family; he wrongly assumed he could force Europe to cut trade with one of their biggest trade partners; he wrongly assumed Russia would sue for peace when he invaded and destroyed their lands; he wrongly assumed the allies would ever accept him remaining on the throne of France when he returned from Elba.

I love Napoleon as a general, lawmaker and historical figure in general, but he was a borderline terrible politician.

The 300 Spartans sucked ASS at fighting! Bunch of gays lost lol

For a moment, thought that was Charley.

>look at me I walked into a ghetto and pissed everyone off then got stabbed REPEATEDLY and let my family get killed

>Edward III
he was abit shit on the political side, but admire him saying France is his just for saying his Mum was a French Royalty.

Pretty cool fruit thing he got there. He must have been a powerful man.

>managed to hold power despite numerous wars between her husbands, children, and various nobles
>indirect ancestor of half the major monarchies of Europe
>Court of Love

Military, political, and cultural genius.

I could've sworn Poland never suffered the Black Death, or am I wrong?

Can give Louie Louie Louie Louie Louie Louie Louie Louie Louie Louie Louie Louie Louie Louie Louie credit without giving a bone to ol' Cardinal Richelieu. He was probably one of the greatest statesmen of all time until Otto von Bismark. Otto pretty much read his playbook on how to ostracize a Great Power in Europe. Also he was a major patron of Samuel de Champlain who essentially founded Nouveau France/French Canada to whom I owe a huge debt of gratitude.

Shame one of his best portrayals had him as a fictional villain when he was a real life hero.

He could've saved Russia.

My ancestor

Maria Theresa of Austria
Empress of the Holy Roman Empire

When she came in power Austria seemed to be declining, or even on the verge of collapse. After her forty years reign, Maria Theresa left a revitalised empire that influenced the rest of Europe throughout the 19th century.

Saint Dagobert II, Saint Æthelberht II, Constantine the Great, Saint William of Gellone, and Saint Sigismund of Burgundy come to mind.

Basil 'if you're a bulgar you're not up to par' II was unironically one of the best emperors

Far better than the meme emperor Justinian

>fucked horses
kys for believing that
>not keeping Poland as puppet
it was partitions or war against Poland, Prussia and Austria
>her generals won battles for her
yeah, that is what generals are supposed to do retard

Alfonso X

Best Eastern European monarch coming through

>After paying the ransom, margrave Otto came to archbishop and asked him: "Lord bishop, am I free?". The bishop answered: "Yes''. Then the margrave said: "You have failed to properly evaluate a margrave; You should have hoisted me on a horse with a lance pointing upwards and covered me with gold and silver all the way to the lance's tip, only then you would have evaluated me correctly".

How can one man be so badass?

>this

Ahem I think you mean this guy

Alfred

>Shame one of his best portrayals had him as a fictional villain when he was a real life hero.

It's because Americans (and Brits) don't understand the difference between an antagonist and a villain. In the Three Musketeers he isn't a bad guy, and actually trying to help the King because he thinks the Queen is a piece of shit (which she is in the novels), but Americans needs to pretend every battle is one between good and evil.

Tim Curry is fucking great in that though.