Running General

Running General, pastebin edition

pastebin.com/p8qwh6WU

How's your training coming along anons?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ewWEgQnQlc4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>tfw you forget to breathe through your nose when running and a bug flies down your throat and you almost strain your diaphragm coughing and retching

I've been running 6k's this week all up hill and my times are at 31-32 minutes. It's a pretty steep incline so I'm kind of happy with it, my relatively flat land 5k's are about 24-25 minutes. I've only been running 3 weeks btw.
I'm thinking of adding a 10k this Sunday, and some HIIT. So my routine which I've picked from the faster road racing book will go something like this...
Monday - Rest
Tuesday - 6k (uphill route)
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - 5k (Normal route)
Friday - HIIT (30s sprints, 3m recovery x 6)
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - 10k (Normal/slightly uphill probably)

Does this look like a good routine for someone wanting a sub 20 minute 5k by next year? I currently run about 3-4 times a week at like 5-6k distances.

Also can anyone in the UK recommend me some good trail and road hybrid running shoes? I run on the trail but it's like 2k on a road to get there then 2k trail and 2k back on the road again, but think for my 10k's I'll go 6k on the trail or something.

We should ad to the pastebin squads to help shin splints. Worked for me when it was suggested a few months back on a run general thread.

Squats*

Fucking auto correct

I started with a 5k time very similar to yours last year.

I didn't have a well structured plan. Ran 3 times a week, 5k 10k 15k. and got my 5k time down to 22:30 or so.

This year though, I'm running 5 times a week, all slow runs on flat routes (long run is at 28k~ now). I did a race a few weeks back, and my 5k is down to 21:00.

Your plan looks good, but I'd look into building up the long run to a 15k or 20k a few months from now.

Also glute bridges to strengthen your hips. I found out my hips were weak from trying to stand and bend on one leg and my knee buckle.

Also some exercises like supermans at home to work your lower back.

Yeah that was the plan, increasing the distance by one or two k every week, which is what the book says. It also recommends you add distance to the first run of the week, but stick to the 5k in the middle of the week as light training before the HIIT.

Could you recommend a good HIIT routine or is mine fine?

I haven't done proper HIIT in a while, but I think it might be better to do a full minute instead, maybe a bit more. 30s just feels too little if your focus is on 5k. And for the recovery, I'd go by feel instead of time.

Also missing is a good video on proper form

what type of shorts do you guys use? and does anyone have asthma here?

everytime I do cardio my shins /calves start to hurt rlly bad pls halp

Beginner runner here. Have a bit of a sore knee, how can I avoid knee injuries?

I have good shoes and insoles for support

that HIIT is pretty stupid for ANY distance. thirty seconds sprints are max 200meters, so six of those means a wopping 1200 meters... definitely useless for a 5k. you should be doing something like 3x1mile repeats at goal 5k pace during a strenuous workout.

by my calculations you're looking to go sub 20mins while running... 14ish miles per week. you should be running at least 30 miles per week. honestly, mileage is the most important thing. you'll start running faster without even noticing it. mileage is far more important than workouts for improvement at your level

Are squats/quads best excercise for improving running speed. I want my legs to be like steam Pistons.

just googled how to run fast
nigga told me to do 10 reps of 15-20 seconds uphill sprinting
this works?

any other things to do for more fasts?
I noticed I'm having some trouble lifting my legs after a couple reps of sprinting

Thanks for the suggestion on glute bridges. Going to add this to workout.

Squats and glute bridge

Thanks for the advice, about the mileage thing if you read my replies earlier I did say I planned on increasing the distance of my runs each week to up it.
Also I've never done HIIT before and that was coming from one I pulled off the internet. I'm trying to find information on mile repeats and some advice seems to indicate that 1 mile repeats are useless at the level I am at, and some suggested 5x1km repeats.

Swap your thurs and fri to put more time between your sprints and long run.

I would do quarter mile repeats with enough rest inbetween to get your breathing back to easy through nose. You should be able to do 6-8 pretty easily at your current level.

Do more long slow runs and build up an endurance base before you worry about trying to sanic.

I just started really, i've been doing it on the treadmill at the gym. I only go for 15 minutes with like five of warm up. I have to take two thirty second breaks through it i bet i don't have to my mind just caves and gets me to stop.

Gonna go for a run now.

>tfw this isn't fun like lifting at all

Best way to improve 1.5 mile time?

Long distance or HIIT?

My thighs chaff/rub and it is fucking painful. I was born with fucking t-rex thighs although I am slightly overweight. Any advice/tips?

Lose weight

That's one of the reasons I am running. There's no places nearby where I can swim. Guess I'll try one of those gels for antichaff or vaseline if I can find one.

squats

Distance until you can break 11 minutes or so. Then distance plus intervals.

Any tips or training ideas to increase 1.5 mile speed?

>not enjoying the little extra protein boost mid-run

I'm pretty sure they sell this 'anti-chaffing' stuff you apply to your thighs which acts as a lubricant of sorts especially to women.

I'm 60kgs and am pretty lean and toned, I was thinking of incorporating morning runs in my routine at least once of twice a week.

I don't do any form of weightlifting as I only do calisthenics and martial arts. Will running benefit me?

yes

Enlisting lad?

I have asthma. I tend to use it to my advantage e.g when im struggling to maintain pace or pick up speed, using your inhaler increases your oxygen intake.

you've got shin splints mate. Take it easy

how do you guys deal with the need to regulate your breathing and the huge wad of extra concentrated saliva that builds up when you are fatigued?

towards the end of my 2 mile run when im tired as shit (yes i know im fucking out of shape) my breathing is pretty much the most important thing to me, however invariably my mouth gets filled with saliva. at this point i have to either spit it out, swallow it, or keep it in and continue breathing. spitting it or swallowing it ends up with my skipping my breathing and it fucking sucks. how do you guys deal with this?

beginner runner here i know i was using the wrong shoes when i started. so i bought new shoes & waited 3 days, but today i still have in the spot on the picture it feels like i bruised the bone or something nothing major just annoying should i rest 5 days or just keep going & hope it toughens up?

Already enlisted. Army posted to a Navy base. Ive got a fitness test coming up and my overall fitness has gone down from 'dat Navy life.

Found this 5 mile mountain trail near me so I decided to give it a go. Ran the first 2 miles then started walking the declines and running the inclines for the rest of the way. It was like 95 outside and I got this kickass endorphin rush so I ran the entirety of the last mile. Felt good man

Though mileage is one of if not the most important thing, I would dispute 6x200 being a bad 5k workout. Speed maintainence is important. I recently did a workout of 5x200 with 2:00 standing recovery. I'm a 15:40 5k guy, so a little over 5:00 mile pace, and I was doing those reps between 29 and 30 seconds. It makes other sessions like 10x600 at 5k pace feel much easier coming through at 37.5, 1:15 for 200 and 400 en route when a 30 feels smooth.

Negative splits lad.
First lap at 8.5, ad .1 each lap until the final lap, then just go whatever the treadmill lets you go.
Do this once maybe twice a week, increasing the starting speed as you go.
Managed to knock mine down to 9:53 last week, proper chuffed.

That will improve sprint speed, which in a roundabout way improves distance speed, but the most important training you can do for a given race is goal pace training. The caveat is that such training requires a wide range of other workouts to perform safely. For example, in college I knew I was ready for a low 15 minute 5k when I could do five by one mile in 4:50-5:00 range with 3:00 rest. But to do that workput, I needed to be able to do 10x400 in 68 and 10 miles sub one hour and 8x200 sub 30 and 4 miles at 5:20 pace. These all feed into each other, and all help you get faster.

Concentrate more on breathing in your nose and out your mouth, it isn't just a meme.
Do the "in 2-3-4 out -2-3-4" technique when going fast.
Take tiny sips of water every lap (.25 of a mile) or so.

Box squats were a staple in the strength program my college's lifting coach wrote for the sprinters and mid D guys. Box jumps. Explosive half ROM squats with light weight.

Body Glide
Run Guard

Two good brands, same product. Used to manage a running store. Great for nipples, thighs, under arms, crotch, etc.

how stupid of me, i probably shouldve googled breathing methods for running.

is it ok to just breathe through your nose for the beginning? usually i try to regulate my breathing through my nose which lasts me about the first.... .75 miles before i start needing to breathe through my nose out my mouth. the last .50 miles i breathe exclusively through my mouth

I'm all of these btw, former D1 athlete, former running store asst. manager and purchasing manager, current competitive road racer and husband to an equally competitive woman who also is fast, so I know a fair amount about women's issues if any femanons have questions. AMA if interested I guess.

Stick to using both for the whole thing or else you're going to be changing your body's oxygen supply half way through.

But the most important thing is to just run more.
You're going to get out of breath as fuck, but soon that will be fixed. Then it will be the overheating that will slow you, but that will be fixed. Then heart pain, then nausea, then dehydration, then leg cramps, then shin splints, and then after all of those things are fine, you are able to run 5 times as far, and then you will have the same breathing problem.

question: ive been trying to run on the balls of my feet but invariably my form deteriorates at some point during my run.

ive noticed my ankle gets sore about 5-6 hours after my run and it stays sore for the next couple days, during which i don't run again for fear of aggravating my injury and causing permanent damage.

is this something that all new runners deal with or is this just an indication that my form still needs work? i doubt its my sneakers i barely have 50 miles on them at this point.

should i run even though i have the pain or should i continue to wait it out until my ankle is pain free before running again?

could be the certain type of sneaker that your form isn't used to. just be careful with it. it's one thing to work through injuries, but with running you'll end up fucking your shit up permanently.

I have the same issue with regarding running on my balls. (hue)~
I tend to make the compromise of ONLY running like that uphill and the rest of the time I run heel down simply because it's what's comfortable for me.

For the pain, I'll say don't run on sore feet,. and apply heat spray/pain killer gel right after a run, this also cures shin splints.

>fucking your shit up permanently
do you think i'll be alright if i just wait until my ankle fully "heals" inbetween runs or will i still end up fucking my shit up?

id like to run ideally every other day but with the ankle pain it stretches my runs out 3-4 days until i feel 100%

Hey fellas, possible new runner here.

So the only thing that is interesting to me about running is that i can hit more pokestops and catch more pokemon is less time.

Have any of you had problems handling Pokemon Go and running?

How long will it take to go from a terrible 4.1 on the beep test to a 7.8?

hey /run/, what do you guys wear when running?

today: 4.41 mi in 45:00, treadmill, 230lbs.

youtu.be/ewWEgQnQlc4

I can run a 5:40 for one mile, but I've recently discovered that my endurance sucks and is holding me back. I only run 4-7 miles per week, and I've been running for two months.

How much can I up my weekly distance without getting injured?

i'm honestly not sure. i run everyday and couldn't do without it, but i've NEVER had any injuries or soreness. maybe you should try going for shorter runs and building it up slowly? how far do you run?

the only thing that i ran into is that the battery saver mode blows and sometimes the gps won't update properly. they need to put a feature to lock your phone completely, but still track time.

when it's hot a tank top, shorts, and nike free's or nike revolution 2's.

what kind of shorts? 7 inch or 5 inch?

I'm looking to revive 70s and 80s athletic fashion.

go slower and push yourself. if you run one mile then make it so you run two. you have to have the mindset where you CANNOT stop.

distance>pace

whenever i go for a run i know that once i hit the button to track my run on runkeeper, that i won't stop. the only time i stop is if i get a stitch in my side, which is EXTREMELY rare.

anyone?

OK /run/ get your dicks out, it's time.

1 mile: 6:36
1.5 mile: 9:53
5k: 21:27
4 mile: 31:35
5 mile: 38:37
10k: >soon
10 mile: >lel
Half marathon: >lel implying
Marathon: >tfwno

i run 2 miles. i get a sort of soreness in my ankle that lasts a couple days after my running sessions so i can only run at most 2x a week.

im trying to run almost exclusively on the balls of my feet but i know during the last quarter of my run i catch myself slipping

i think the one's i run in are 7 or 9s. i'd go shorter but i'm a pussy who cares too much about what people think. i live in a small town so everyone sees me.

just go with whatever you find comfortable. i'd probably nut if i ran in 5 inch shorts. sounds god tier.

I've been noticing that sometimes I get sharp pains on the insides of my lower legs, around my ankles between my shin bones and calves (I know it's probably a tendon if that helps), after running or sprinting. Is there something I'm doing wrong form-wise with my sprints or jogs?

No don't get me wrong. I'm not a fatty, and I can run indefinitely if needed. I just don't want to get injured since I only run 3-7 miles/week right now.

rest dumbass

how do you guys balance lifting and running? I lift 3 times a week and swim on my rest days, but would like to incorporate some running too. I'm willing to let it cut into my lifting, but I dont want to drop it completely in fear of becoming hungry skelly

1500m - 4:13
1600m - 4:29
3000m - 8:55
3k SC - 9:44
5000m - 15:40
10km - 32:17
HM - 1:13:43

any specific brand you're keen to?

i lift and then run right after.

on days that i don't lift i still run. i run 20+ miles a week, sometimes over 100 miles a month and i'm nowhere near hungry skelly. i think running helps because you get hungry as fuark from running so much. it's helped my cut so much, but at the same time i could binge eat and bulk no problem too.

adidas or nike.

So your running doesn't cut into recovery at all?

nope. eat properly and run.

running has helped me in so many ways. i don't think i could ever go without running now.

Pls help

So guys, I currently do 30 minutes per run, now I so 16-interval-8-interval-6, but I'm improving towards a full non-stop 30 minutes run
I don't want to lose more time, but I still want to improve speed, any suggestions? How would I know when I surpass the aerobic/anaerobic limit?

>How much can I up my weekly distance without getting injured?

You can certainly go up above 3-7 mpw. What's the highest mileage you've ever done before? My guess is if you keep the pace controlled you won't get injured jumping up to that relatively quickly (add like 5 mpw for however many weeks) and then from then on you could spend about 6 weeks upping 5 mpw every other week. Sign up for a 5k or 10k to do soon after that to measure progress.

The highest mileage I've ever done at once (yesterday) was 3.8 miles. Before that I had a 2.4 mile route that I would run occasionally. I'll try +5pmw and see where it gets me.

Now it just means balancing my schedule as I train for the 1 mile. I've got:
>easy runs
>tempo runs
>HIIT
>rest day(s)
How many of each would you recommend each week?

*mpw

Powerlifter here

Been jogging weekly to prevent the inevitable heart attack, just doin a nice and easy 25 minute 5k

But why do I always have to shit three to four times in the two hour window after?

build up to 30 mpw of easy running (no workouts), then add workouts and do this
4 days 5 mile runs easy pace
1 day tempo, 2 mile wu 20 mins at an effort where youre running fast but not fast enough that your legs feel tired at all 1 mile cd (total of 5-6 miles I would think)
1 day 2 mile wu, 5x600m @ 5:40 mile pace, 3 min rest between reps (this will be tough) 1 mile cd

ideally you should add a long run in there of 6-8 miles, but first you should get to a point where you're actually running something for mileage. You get 2 days of rest and keep the tempo and the mile workout as separate as possible, maybe one monday the other thursday.

>4 easy runs per week
Are easy runs really that important? Up until now I've only done like one easy run.

800 - 1:48
1000- 2:21
1500- 3:44
3000- 8:26
5000- 14:51
Marathon- 3:16 (hilly trail marathon)
50km 3:47 (hilly trail ultra)
150km 19:18 (hilly trail ultra)

Beginner Runner here, is it more important to focus on my timing or distance?
>5k: 32min
I've tried turning up my speed but the faster I run I've noticed that I've also gained knee injuries. Tried 10km once and finished it in under 80min, yet I'm not sure whether to strike a balance between constantly maintaining my form or trying to beat my personal timings.

What do you weigh?

53kg, forgot to add my normal posture used to be hunched so I'm working on it everyday, but I still feel like my form is wrong

LONDON
O
N
D
O
N

Gurl imma give u a workout nomesayin?

If you're a beginner then you need more advice than you can get over the Internet.

Where do you live? Maybe if you're nearby I could stop over sometime. I can help you train pls.

not this guy, bumping for interest.
I started at a 6 now at 9.1 after 4 months
Need 10.1
5'11 173lbs. Currently doing 400 and 800m intervals 3 times a week on a cut to get down to 160.

i feel distance. i'd rather be able to run 10 miles at a decent pace than 5 miles at a fast pace.

it's ultimately up to you. i feel there are more health benefits the further you go.

Sub 15 minute 5k reporting in

Smoke and drink daily

White 6ft 165 runs less than 15 miles weekly

No I don't know why I'm so fast but I'm thinking about getting better because I found out runners prime is around 30 so if I get a blazing time a coach will have to give me a shot regardless of anything else.

Will be getting healthier in the next months want to have sub 4:30 pace on 5k in 6 months and after that I'd imagine I could get pro training

I run in heavy combat boots

4.1? Fuckn hell man.

Kek. Almost had me m8.

Whats your height/weight/age

What is your training routine

How many years did it take you to get to that speed from a 6 minute mile pace?

Any workout schedules for a 5k?
Cross Country season is coming up

>going for girls

what a bunch of fucking faggots

pretty good ran, 6 miles yesterday, tomorrow I'm scheduled for 12, maybe one day I'll run a marathon