5x5 vs 3x5

Let's say we're following rippletits school of through where you only do squats and deadlifts for legs 3 times a week for full body. Which one is better for overall? will 3x5 not give enough hypertrophy gains past the skeletal stage?

3x5 would demand more weight. It's basically the same you turd.

obviously, but if id switch from 3x5 to 5x5 id also keep up progression on the lift even though I keep the same weight, basically keeping consistent

Just admit you're retarded OP so we can leave instead of arguing with your dumb ass why 3x5 is better than 5x5

Im retarded, is 3x5 squats + 1x5 deadlifts every other session enough?

"Hey guys does this tried and tested method work?"

>deadlifts
>legs

3x5 is better for getting your numbers up in the short term. Long term, 5x5 might (emphasis on might) work better depending on your goals and recovery.

5x5 is also tried and tested :6)

I literally just want to know if 3x5 is enough volume for leg hypertrophy if im pushing weight up (at 270lbs 5x5 right now)
nice maymay

>these retards don't know deadlifts work chest

>will 3x5 not give enough hypertrophy gains past the skeletal stage?
>enough

Define "enough." It seems like you're being deliberately, incredibly vague just to stir shit. Or you just ARE that much of a dumbass.

Either way, if you can squat 405 for 3x5, you will not be lacking in leg hypertrophy

>More reps is the same progress as more weight

That is categorically false, you fucking idiot.

basically im adding weight until I reach 4 plate squat, but Im not sure if 3x5 will give me thicc enough legs since that and deadlifts will be my only leg workout.

Im asking you bigger guys if 3x5 was enough for thicc legs

>Long term, 5x5 might (emphasis on might) work better depending on your goals and recovery.

Even Rip's programs go to 5x5 beyond the novice stage, because more advanced lifters need a heavier dose of stress to continue progressing, AND are more capable of producing that stress on themselves.

Novice scrubs do not require such volume to drive progress, and are therefore able to do fewer total reps in the cause of continuing to add weight for longer.

This obviously isn't EXACT science. 4x4 would do a pretty good job. Practical Programming recommends considering 4x3 for novice women, and other considerations for trainees that aren't men between Puberty and 30.

But those men will get biggest and strongest in the novice phase by doing squats for 3x5.

>bench press
>arms

The problem here is defining progress. Rip tends to define that as putting more weight on the bar as rapidly as possible (which makes complete sense given his coaching background, where that's a pretty fucking important aspect) but in terms of other qualities 3x5 isn't always going to be optimal.

They might get the biggest squat numbers in three months, but that's not the same thing as being the biggest or the strongest overall.

>Im asking you bigger guys if 3x5 was enough for thicc legs

3x5 will give you the best results for both size and strength in the novice phase. Largely because in the novice phase size and strength are pretty much inseparable.

If your legs are deemed "thicc" enough at the point where you can no longer make linear progress, a weekly routine with 5x5 squats for volume is what I would recommend. And is how I got my squat up to 550 lbs, with thighs that are about 25 inches in diameter.

>They might get the biggest squat numbers in three months, but that's not the same thing as being the biggest or the strongest overall.

For a novice who isn't on steroids, size goes hand in hand with strength.

And the person with the highest squat is absolutely the strongest overall.

No, he's the best squatter. How well that translates to anything else (whether that's leg size, athletic performance, etc) is up in the air.

you ask this as if SS isn't the more proven program

>tfw I no longer have to do 5x5 squats
>tfw 3x5 squats are much easier to get thorugh
3 plate squat gonna be BTFO and then I'll only need to work on deadlift grip for 1/2/3/4
rippletits doesnt care about aesthetics, while I care about strength and aesthetics

Do you genuinely believe that the grand difference between looking good and looking shit is two sets of squats?

5x5 is the older protocol, with a much longer list of advocates.

if im doing 3x5 squats for at most a year until 4plat, yes im going to be autistic about how much leg hypertrophy/volume im getting as its a 40% drop in reps

You're not getting it. Strength and size are going to go hand in hand while you're a novice. And no one is able to keep doing the novice program for a year. If you did you'd end up repping like 900 pounds in one year, which isn't going to happen.

SS novice program will last you about three months. You're not going to look drastically different in that time frame no matter what you do, 3x5 squats or 10x15 leg extensions. Might as well get as strong as you can and trust the muscle comes with it.

m8 I know im not going to go to the moon with this. Im not a complete novice I just fucked around with my legs when I started and now after a year im lagging behind on legs for 1/2/3/4. Im progressing at a steady 5 pounds per week on my squat/dead lift while I do other shit for my upper body. I just wanted to know if 3x5 will give me small legs as I go towards 4 plate compared to taking a longer time with 5x5.

Basically I dont want to waste a year

You won't be doing 3x5 (or 5x5 with the same programming) for a year. Most people don't last three months before the gains dry up on that approach.

LP isnt going to carry you to 4plate. based on rippetoe forums dedicated people tend to range from 315-365 before having to switch to some intermediate routine (and these people are rare, most end up in the high 200s)