Old Anons Tell Stories

Anons born 1920-1970 tell us your first hand experiences of history.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SGZqDzb__bw
youtube.com/watch?v=oQwNN-0AgWc
youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Every person that browses this board is an annoying shithead know-it-all born after the 90s

Thats not true. People of all ages come here these days. The average mentality just seems like a teenager.

In November 1962, I was 5 years old and playing outside a couple doors down with some neighbor kids, and suddenly all of the mothers came running out of the house and scooped up their kids and took them home. It seems somebody had been killed or something. We watched the funeral ceremonies on a black and white television set, our first as I understand.

1963, 1962 was the CIA's dry run.

I'm in this photograph.

This isn't true.

It's probably the early 00s at this point.

don't do this again

I'm in this photograph

When I was a kid, safety belts were a luxury option, there was snow falling from the sky in winter, women enjoyed freedom, and the rare niggers were actually engineers.

Not me, but my US history professor was born in the late 50s and served in the US military during the cold war. His parents were Dutch immigrants who just barely survived during the Nazi occupations of the Netherlands. He was born in the US but lived in the Netherlands with his grandparents for awhile.

Lots of interesting stories this semester since a lot of it was WWII and cold war era. He also has lots of pictures he's taken of different history monuments. The coolest one was a picture he took while he patrolled the Iron curtain in the 80s where you can see the Soviet in the guard tower across the border looking back at him through binoculars. Really shows how tense the border was between East and West Europe.

I remembered when they stopped school to have us watch the video of pic related, and I actually broke down in tears, realizing seriously manned space flight was going to come to an end.

Albeit, I was still too young to understand that it had really come to an end, pretty much on the day I was born.

Neither Chernobyl nor the Berlin wall falling had quite that much impact on me by comparison. ...Though I did nearly see the LA riots in person, and was (within the 25 year rule) shot at by the Contras.

I was born in '65. I faintly remember Nixon. School integration (busing) was a thing. Kiss, Zeppelin, Aerosmith rocked, Disco sucked.

I remember when you could play halo 3 on the original xbox 360

>fought in vietnam
>smoked a lot of reefer to come to terms with what i witnessed
You know how the best bbq ribs fall off the bone?
>I saw that happen to a man

My grandpa was born in 1928. I interviewed him once for a school project, and he would always tell us stories about the times he remembered. I studied under someone who was born even earlier and met Pierre Boulez and other musicians in the 40s and 50s. My parents tell me about the shit show this country was in from 1954-1974, and my dad narrowly avoided being drafted for Vietnam. I can answer any questions to the best of my ability.

>the shit show this country was in from 1954-1974
If you're talking about USA I'm curious to know the basis of this statement.

my father was born in the late 1940s and he dodged the draft in australia for vietnam because he was a teacher.

1954 was dien bien phu
1974 was nixon resignation
In between you get Kennedy assassination, hippie fags, vietnam, watergate. A lot went to shit

I saw Hendrix live...twice. Also, Janice Joplin, the original Who, and the original Led Zeppelin.

Racial tensions, desegregation efforts (including the exposure of racist rants from people like George Wallace, the murder of civil rights activists, the March on DC, the national guard being called in at universities trying to integrate, and Black Panther rallies) McCarthyism, fear of nuclear war, JFK getting killed, Vietnam, Nixon's paranoia, Kent State, Watergate, and the FBI's antics.
I was probably exaggerating when I said "shit show," but there was quite a bit of turmoil.

I remember segregated movie theaters, segregated waiting rooms at the doctor and dentist, colored only restrooms and water fountains. I remember the deaths of JFK, RFK and MLK.

I'm not US but afaik the racial tensions are very strong nowadays (blm exists for a reason), there are mass murders every months, unemployment, poverty, criminality, pollution are systemic, etc... All in all I think life was better back then.

I lived through segregation, desegregation, the civil rights era, Vietnam, the 60s and the 70s. I have never seen race relations as bad as they are now.

Plot twist: user's US history professor is the son of Anne Frank and Peter van Pels who have been living in America under assumed names this entire time.

youtube.com/watch?v=SGZqDzb__bw

youtube.com/watch?v=oQwNN-0AgWc

its called 360 because you turn 360 degrees and walk away cause it's so shit

This may be boring to other people but my great-grandma passed and apparently somewhere in her house is a manuscript she wrote about how her dad electrified the town she lived in most of her life. He was originally from Germany but something about being unable to compete there, so he went here and got them all bulbed out. They were later acquired by another company, and then another, ending in what is now PECO. He was obnoxiously Prussian which played a role in him selling everything after the war thing. I have permission to ransack the house on Sunday so I will post various cool things I find if anyone cares.

I was born 88 but I identify more with 90s than with 80s generation since I was born late november, so I was in the 80s for all of 13 months.

Since I am not oldfag, all I got is that my dad grew up in Delaware born in 1951, and he once tanned so much his friend's mom refused to let him in because she thought he was a black kid. He was (rip) white, son of American of scots ancestry and 2nd generation daughter of Russian Jews.

I'd say it's still a 90s show. 90 would be 27, 97 would be 20, 98 would be 19, 99 would be 18. We've got underaged B@ for sure but I dont think they are a majority by any measure.

Were you one of the niggers?

You really need to guess?

>the 1980s were in the 90s

>be 35 year old
>listen to some 19 year old shitter
>LET ME ALL TELL YOU HOW UNIMAGINABLY BAD THE LIFE WITHOUT INTERNET WOULD BE
>mfw

>implying it wouldn't.

It wasn't. Dumbass.

It was the dark ages.

Were you alive back then?

Yep they're pretty shit right now. There aren't full on lynchings that get passed off like they did with Emmett Till though.

Yes because one murder is reflective of race relations as a whole.

Grade school emergency drills. Sirens would go off, and everyone would cower under their desk. Maybe once a month, maybe once every other month. Looking back, it would have prevented absolutely nothing.

>Lee Harvey Oswald first meets JFK.

Quads of truth. A few hundred years ago, nobody gave a single fuck what color a man was.

Born in '58, saw the Kennedy funeral on TV, was in elementary school when some kid ran down the hall shouting that they killed "that nigger King" (very working class white neighborhood), saw the moon landing on TV. In some ways life was less convenient, in some ways it was more colorful and authentic.

I lived through this as well. There was much, much more segregation then than now. Black people could not buy the houses they wanted. While segregation is now - poverty aside - a more personal decision, in the early sixties there were still covenants on property deeds prohibiting home owners from selling their homes to negros. That was a real thing. We had one African American in my school. It was commonly accepted that there were differences between the races and most European Americans were quite vocal about their prejudices. It wasn't just black and white, either. We had slurs for Italians (wops), Jews (kikes), Mexicans (wetbacks) and it was not an "edgy" thing, it was common.

But it was also a time of change and through the Selma marches and the Watt riots, peoples attitudes began to change. Not everybody's, but enough folks. It was a cluster fuck but there was hope. There was a feeling that revolution was in the air. Might be me and my old age but I'm not sensing that hope right now.

Most Beverly Hills homes still have provisions that the home cannot be sold to Negroes.

>We had slurs for Italians (wops), Jews (kikes), Mexicans (wetbacks) and it was not an "edgy" thing, it was common.

You're saying I wouldn't be a special snowflake back in the '50s?

wtf /pol/ lied to me

>but I'm not sensing that hope right now.

That's because America is on the road to Civil War.

>inb4 tinfoil hat wearer

First off, I fucking hate tinfoil. Second, they were saying you were crazy for thinking we were gonna have Civil War back in 1858 too.

I used to race my 67 Pontiac GTO 400HO down the main drag through town on Saturday nights after football games. People would bet on us and stuff.I only ever lost twice. Basically paid for my college drag racing
>TFW my grandson has the speed gene and we work on his rx7 all the time
>TFW I finally have a son to pass all my tuning wisdom to and share a hobby with
I used to be a missionary in Africa I'll probably post a few stories about that if u guys care to listen to an old fags stories

>there was hope. There was a feeling that revolution was in the air.
What do you mean by this? You sensed that whites would explode and kill blacks? That blacks would explode and kill whites? Something non-racial?
What do you mean?

I'd love to hear some stories, also maybe some interesting drag racing stories too?

are you the kid about to kill himself

What's meaningful is that the killers got away with it despite being obviously guilty.

There were some very serious radicals running around during the late sixties, early seventies. Killing policemen, bombing police stations, groups of leftist who began to feel that change was not coming quickly enough. Research the Weather Underground or the SDS. There were marches that broke out into riots but were not race based as they are today. The 1968 Democratic convention in Chicago for example - crazy shit. There was a draft filling that voracious need for more young men to send to Viet Nam and that caused most of the protests. Poverty was much more extreme - food stamps didn't become a thing until the early 70's. Appalachia in particular was hit very, very hard. It was a black thing but mostly against institutional racism - police brutality for example. In the early sixties, it was not uncommon for the police to send dogs after peaceful protestors. So, it was race, but it was also the working class, the Viet Nam war, and middle class college students that didn't want the suburban life. I think the Watts riots in '65 was what I felt the beginning of that age of unrest.

And you hoped that such things would turn into revolution?

My cars times were mainly from its tires, I posted a 11.8 sec quarter mile at a real strip, mosof this didn't happen at real drag strips tho. You know how the dogde demon lifts off the ground and everyone thinks its a big deal? My car in 72 would lift about a foot off the ground when you dropped the hammer. One time we were messin around at the wee hours of the morning And decided in our somewhat drunken stupor it was a good idea to race down the main drag in town. Police didn't like that but we got the car in the garage really fast and sat on the porch like nothjing happened. We told the sheriff we saw Two chevelles flying the other way. He never got wise to it haha.

I'll tell a quick story about Africa,
>be me
>mainly worked in Kenya
>went to Rwanda during the Hutu and Tutsi clashes to help give put medical assistance
>driving through a field in my izuzi suv on the way, couldn't find the road of had gotten overgrown
>tall grass, couldn't see the ground too well
>starts getting really bumpy, think were running over fallen trees or something
>get out to make sure we're not going to get stuck, >being stuck In a field during the middle of a genocide wasn't a nice situation
>look at the ground
>fucking dead nigs everywhere, didn't count but I'd guess at least a thousand
>nope the fuck put of there
I guess they just ran them all into a field and shot them. Brutal shit man I had hair and brains on my tires. Thought my wife would faint

>taking your wife to a country filled to the brim with niggers who are already being more violent than usual

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Also, don't you have PTSD from that shit?

>Killing policemen, bombing police stations, groups of leftist who began to feel that change was not coming quickly enough.

Amateurs...

There was a sense that things were systemically unfair. If you listen to some of the pop music of the era, you'll hear some things about poverty that we don't experience now. Something had to change. Racism was institutionalized as opposed to more of a voluntary collective that it is now. That had to change. Rich kids didn't have to go to Viet Nam and, with improved battlefield medical practices, more poor kids were coming home seriously fucked up. That had to change. These were serious injustices that our society had morphed into. More dramatic than the Tea Party taking over the Republican party say. In the recordings that Richard Nixon turned over as part of the Watergate hearings, he's heard wondering if he should declare martial law in the United States. As a poor kid, yeah, I was hoping for a revolution. Instead society changed some things for the better, put band aids on others, and made everybody think they'd become millionaires during the 80's. Not a poetic change, but a change nonetheless.

Its called missionary work m8, again I didn't work In the super bad Areas much that's probably one of !y worst stories, you go where the lord is needed. Kenya was pretty nice tho I liked it there. The only times it was scary was she we went north, the Kenyans wefe pretty good about keeping the somlians out but some of them would get in and stare down all the white people, one of my dearest friends there had a church and it got burned down by a bunch of somolian niggers.

>_

>Its called missionary work m8
People like you ruin this continent. Not that I care that said. Share more chaos stories pls.

>you go where the lord is needed

God abandoned Africa awhile ago buddy.

Race relations in America even at their absolute lowest, are still pretty mellow compared countries of similar ethnic diversity.

>that one time 10,000 Sikhs in India got pogrom'd in a single weekend in 1984

youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4

I somt really have too many super exciting ones from Africa, I was smart I knew where not to go and all that. Seeing dead bodies on the side of the road wasn't uncommon, most of them were killed by government killing squads. Locals called them "mungeeki". Police tended to not mess around either.
God never abandoned africa whites did, that's why it sucks

I’m in this picture

Thats a lie I was born in the 90's

>God never abandoned africa whites did, that's why it sucks
No user, this is precisely because whites didn't abandon the continent that it sucks. NGOs and missionaries just feed the chaos, killing the economics and the social structure. But once again it's not that a big deal.